DC and their comics and charactershave been around for a very long time. Many classic characters from the 1940s through the 1960s are still some of the most popular in the industry.Batman and Superman are both around80 years old! Wonder Woman and versions of The Flash and Green Lantern have been around since the early days of DC as well.
RELATED: 10 DC Characters Who Are (Or Were) Reformed Criminals
However, there was a point of time in the '90s where both Marvel and DC began to reinvent themselves. In Marvel, new characters like Cable and Carnage not only made their debuts but became lasting characters that have remained a large part of comic books today. DC Comics also brought us some icons who have done the same. Here are some of the key DC characters who made debuts in the 1990s.
Click the button below to start this article in quick view
Cyborg Superman became a significant villain after theDeath of Superman storyline. Hank Henshaw himself made his debut in the pages ofAdventures of Superman #466in May1990. He was an astronaut who lost most of his crew (including his wife) in a shuttle accident and blamed Superman for the tragedy.
Henshaw had created a body similar to Superman and returned to Earth to kill Superman, but saw he was too late. Henshaw became Cyborg Superman and ended up involved in one of the most infamous moments in DC history. He used Mogul to destroy Coast City, which turned Hal Jordan into a villain.
Doomsday made his debut in November 1992,in the pages ofSuperman: The Man of Steel #17. The monster originated on Krypton. His creators killed and resurrected him over and over again in an attempt to create an unbeatable weapon. It worked as well.
Doomsday ended up on Earth and took the fightto Superman. He was more than the Man of Steel could handle,and they ended up locked in a stalemate battle where they beat each other to death. Doomsday has returned several times in the years since.
Renee Montoya made her debut in the pages ofBatman#475 in 1992. She was a detective from the Gotham City Police Department as part of the Major Crimes Unit that kept contact with Batman. However, in the pages of52, Montoya ended up becoming the new Question when the original died. In the New 52, she was the partner of Harvey Bullock.
Fans got to know Montoya more on the Batman animated cartoons. Movie fans will get a chance to finally meet her when she appears in the 2020 DC movieBirds of Prey.
In 1992, a new Batman villain made his debut when Mr. Zsasz appeared for the first time in the pages ofBatman: Shadow of the Bat #1. Like most of the villains in the world of Batman, Mr. Zsasz was not superhuman at all, but was instead a vicious serial killer.
RELATED:10 DC villains more manipulative than Baron Zemo
Victor Zsasz was, at one time, the head of his own company, but when his parents died, he lost all his money. He then tried to take his own life, but when a passer-bysaved him, he killed the man and then decided he did him a favor. Every time he kills a person, he slices a mark into his body.
Harley Quinn is a unique DC Comics character. She didn't make her debut in the comics at all. Harley Quinn made her first appearance onBatman: The Animated Series on Sept. 11, 1992. She was an original animated cartoon character, later introduced into the comic books.
Harley Quinn made her first comic book appearance inThe Batman Adventures #12 one year later in September 1993. She has since become one of DC's most beloved characters, moving from her role as Joker's sidekick to a member of the Suicide Squad, and she will also appear in 2020's Birds of Prey.
One of Batman's most powerful enemies is Bane, and he made hisDC Comics debut in 1993 inBatman: Vengeance of Bane #1. The fact that Bane got a series named after him showed that DC was serious about making him a massive threat. He was more than that.
Bane is the villain who broke the bat. During the storylineKnightfall, Bane was able to break down Batman little by little, as he sends most of Batman's most dangerous villains after him. When Batman is finally at his weakest, Bane broke Batman's back and took him out of action for a long time.
After Superman died at the hands of Doomsday, four new versions of Superman showed up. One was a villain introduced in the '90s, Cyborg Superman. Another was John Henry Irons' Steel. The other two were the Eradicator and a new version of Superboy. Out of the four, it was Superboy that made the most impact.
Kon-El was a clone created from Superman's DNA. He went on to create his own legacy as a member of the Teen Titans and later Young Justice. He was a massive part of theYoung Justicecartoon and is one of the most important DC characters created after theDeath of Superman event.
In the 1980s, Barry Allen gave his life to save the world inCrisis on Infinite Earths. When the multiple Earths rebooted into one, it was Wally West who was the new Flash, quickly becoming one of the most popular versions of Flash in DC Comics history.
RELATED: 10 Most Heartbreaking Things To Happen During A DC Crisis Event
With Wally West giving up his role as Kid Flash to become the main DC Comics version of Flash, it opened up a character.Bart Allen debuted in 1994 as the new Kid Flash. Bart debuted inThe Flash #91, the grandson of Barry Allen from the future.
In the '90s, Hal Jordan watched his beloved Coast City destroyed by Mogul and Cyborg Superman and used his powers to bring it back. The idea was to make Hal a villain and replace him as the Earth's Green Lantern. That new Lantern was a young man named Kyle Rayner.
Rayner made his first appearance in DC Comics inGreen Lantern (Vol. 3)#48, and he became the new Green Lantern two issues later. Kyle became hugely popular, an artist who was able to use his creativity when creating his weapons and was easier for young fans to relate to than Hal Jordan.
Parallax is one of the most dangerous villains in the world of the Green Lantern Corps. The demon with the power to control minds and cast fear made its debutinGreen Lantern (Vol. 3) #50 and was strong enough to warp the mind of Hal Jordan and turn him into a villain.
With Parallax controlling him, Hal Jordan became the most powerful villain in DC Comics, and even the greatest heroes couldn't beat him. When Hal came back to his senses,he gave his life to save the Earth andParallax was finally defeated.
NEXT: The 10 Most Important Green Lantern Stories You Probably Never Read
Tags:dc comics,harley quinn,doomsday
NextThe 10 Worst Things DC Has Done to Dick Grayson
See original here:
- Cris Cyborg reveals one thing Conor McGregor must to do on UFC return - Metro.co.uk - January 19th, 2020
- Thor3D announces 3D scanning bundles with Zbrush and Cyborg - TCT Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Fans of Flash think Cyborg could be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earth too! - Animated Times - January 19th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg: The Best Featherweights Are In Bellator, UFC Champion Is On An Island (Exclusive) - LowKick MMA - January 19th, 2020
- Bellator star Cris Cyborg reveals WWE and boxing are both possible options for her ahead of Julia Budd clash - NewsChain - January 19th, 2020
- The Flash Fans Think Cyborg Could Be in the Movie Thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths - Comicbook.com - January 19th, 2020
- Commentators hilariously react to Clippers Kawhi Leonard operating electronic device attached to his knees - ClutchPoints - January 19th, 2020
- Xavier Litt: Chess shows that humans and AI work better together - Irish Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Revisiting System Shock, and the birth of immersive sim design - PC Gamer - January 19th, 2020
- Horizon: Zero Dawn may reportedly be heading to PC this year - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 19th, 2020
- Grant Gustin Shares BTS Shots of Him and Ezra Miller as Flash - Epicstream - January 19th, 2020
- Scott Coker explains why Cris Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time - MMA Mania - December 28th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 28th, 2019
- The best female MMA fighters of the decade - ESPN - December 28th, 2019
- The Coolest (and Scariest) Military Tech of 2019 - Futurism - December 28th, 2019
- The biggest MMA stories of 2019 - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Top 10 MMA fighters of the 2010s: Discussion video, facts about our list - MMA Junkie - December 28th, 2019
- Kevin Smith Reveals His 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Cameo - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - December 28th, 2019
- Top-10 MMA fighters of the decade - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Henry Cavill's 'The Witcher' Gets An Official Rotten Tomatoes Score - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- 'Star Wars': Adam Driver Hosting First Saturday Night Live Of 2020 - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- Cyborg (comics) - Wikipedia - December 18th, 2019
- AI and the future of work: becoming cyborgs! - Ericsson - December 18th, 2019
- Canadian featherweight Felicia Spencer returns to action on UFC card in Norfolk - The Chronicle Journal - December 18th, 2019
- Watchmen: Damon Lindelof On Why There Were 9 Episodes Instead Of 10 - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- The Witcher: Henry Cavill Says Show Won't Block Him From Superman Role - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- UFC 245 odds, fight card: A closer look at every bout from the early prelims to the main event - CBS Sports - December 18th, 2019
- 'The Falcon and The Winter Soldier' Set Photos Tease New York City Setting - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- Arlene Blencowe thinks she's earned another title shot with win over Leslie Smith at Bellator 233 - MMA Junkie - November 13th, 2019
- Janay Harding: Bellator women's featherweight division is 'almost out of reach for the UFC now' - The Body Lock - November 13th, 2019
- Is Jorge Masvidal now the undisputed BMF? We put together a 32-fighter bracket to find out - The Athletic - November 13th, 2019
- 'Teen Titans GO!' Will Roast Controversial 'Thundercats' Reboot - Heroic Hollywood - November 13th, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization cerebrum waves to control up your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - November 13th, 2019
- Justice League: Has the Snyder Cut Already Been Spoiled? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 13th, 2019
- Song of the Day: "Cyborg" - LemonWire - November 6th, 2019
- Cyborg Is the Cure for DCeaseds Zombie Virus - Or At Least He WAS - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 6th, 2019
- Venom 2: Tom Hardy Teases Fight With Woody Harrelson's Carnage In Pic - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Daniel Craig's No Time To Die Is The Most Expensive James Bond Film - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Anthony Mackie Reveals First Look At Falcon & The Winter Soldier - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- The only thing deadlier than Leslie Smiths hands is (apparently) her Chapstick - MMA Mania - November 6th, 2019
- The worlds largest cruise ship has a bar with robot bartenders. Heres how my margarita compared to one made by a human. - Business Insider - November 6th, 2019
- Keanu Reeves Goes Public With First Girlfriend In Decades - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- The Top 15 Onscreen Terminator Robots, Ranked in Order - Superherohype.com - November 6th, 2019
- Grant Gustin Dons Green Lantern-Impressed The Flash Go well with In Neat Fan Art - The Media Hq - November 6th, 2019
- Behind The Night: Diaz vs Cyborg - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill roboticist on his way to becoming the world's first full cyborg - Firstpost - October 21st, 2019
- Disembodied cyborg hand can solve a Rubiks Cube using scary smart AI - SYFY WIRE - October 21st, 2019
- ALS affected, terminally-ill Robotics expert will transform himself into the world's first 'cyborg' - Digit - October 21st, 2019
- Is this guitar-playing cyborg from Japan the future of heavy metal? - Guitar World - October 21st, 2019
- Dying scientist is about to become first cyborg - Times of India - October 21st, 2019
- The Terminator timeline explained: Every key event from the franchise in chronological order - GamesRadar - October 21st, 2019
- Ruby Rose's Batwoman & Grant Gustin's The Flash Unite In Arrowverse Crossover BTS Photos - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- Creating the Symbiotic AI Workforce of the Future - MIT Sloan - October 21st, 2019
- See Keanu Reeves Transform Into The MCU's Ghost Rider In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization mind waves to catalyst your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill scientist is about to 'transform' into world's first full cyborg - Mirror Online - October 16th, 2019
- Taika Waititi Confirms Korg Will Return In 'Thor: Love And Thunder' - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- J.J. Abrams Spider-Man book killed The Avengers in a very Abrams way - Polygon - October 16th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Runtime Possibly Revealed - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Preparing municipalities for customers of the future - ESI Africa - October 16th, 2019
- Jesse Eisenberg On His Future As Lex Luthor With DC Films - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- BMF Resume: Justin Gaethje - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 16th, 2019
- 'Sonic The Hedgehog Halloween Masks Are On Sale & They're Horrifying - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Teen Titans: How Kid Flash Helped Shape the Iconic DC Team | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 16th, 2019
- Review: The Ninja Saviors - Return of the Warriors - Destructoid - October 16th, 2019
- World of Warcraft's upcoming races revealed: adorable foxes and cyborg gnomes - PC Gamer - October 9th, 2019
- Goodbye humans, hello cyborgs: The moment of Singularity is nigh - Daily Maverick - October 9th, 2019
- 'Avengers' Directors Share First Photo From 'Cherry' With Tom Holland - Heroic Hollywood - October 9th, 2019
- Insight: Transhumanists believe in the bionic body beautiful - The Scotsman - October 9th, 2019
- 10 Best DC Cosplays That Look Exactly Like The Characters - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 9th, 2019
- Charting the Uncanny Valley - Reporter Magazine - October 9th, 2019
- Airbus Planes Will Track How Often Passengers Go to the Bathroom - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Robot Fish Fly by Shooting Water out of Its Rear - September 14th, 2019
- Residents Are Trying to Flee Russian Town Where Snow Turned Black - September 14th, 2019
- This Startup Will Send DNA From Your Spit to the Moon for $99 - September 14th, 2019
- FBI Investigation Targets Trump Booster Peter Thiel’s VC Firm - September 14th, 2019
- YouTube Influencers Are Mentally Collapsing From Stress - September 14th, 2019
- Watch SpaceX Test Its Crew Dragon’s Escape System - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Community Horrified by Famed Researcher’s Epstein Outburst - September 14th, 2019
- Unlike MIT, Harvard Cut Off Epstein Donations After Conviction - September 14th, 2019