DC and their comics and charactershave been around for a very long time. Many classic characters from the 1940s through the 1960s are still some of the most popular in the industry.Batman and Superman are both around80 years old! Wonder Woman and versions of The Flash and Green Lantern have been around since the early days of DC as well.
RELATED: 10 DC Characters Who Are (Or Were) Reformed Criminals
However, there was a point of time in the '90s where both Marvel and DC began to reinvent themselves. In Marvel, new characters like Cable and Carnage not only made their debuts but became lasting characters that have remained a large part of comic books today. DC Comics also brought us some icons who have done the same. Here are some of the key DC characters who made debuts in the 1990s.
Click the button below to start this article in quick view
Cyborg Superman became a significant villain after theDeath of Superman storyline. Hank Henshaw himself made his debut in the pages ofAdventures of Superman #466in May1990. He was an astronaut who lost most of his crew (including his wife) in a shuttle accident and blamed Superman for the tragedy.
Henshaw had created a body similar to Superman and returned to Earth to kill Superman, but saw he was too late. Henshaw became Cyborg Superman and ended up involved in one of the most infamous moments in DC history. He used Mogul to destroy Coast City, which turned Hal Jordan into a villain.
Doomsday made his debut in November 1992,in the pages ofSuperman: The Man of Steel #17. The monster originated on Krypton. His creators killed and resurrected him over and over again in an attempt to create an unbeatable weapon. It worked as well.
Doomsday ended up on Earth and took the fightto Superman. He was more than the Man of Steel could handle,and they ended up locked in a stalemate battle where they beat each other to death. Doomsday has returned several times in the years since.
Renee Montoya made her debut in the pages ofBatman#475 in 1992. She was a detective from the Gotham City Police Department as part of the Major Crimes Unit that kept contact with Batman. However, in the pages of52, Montoya ended up becoming the new Question when the original died. In the New 52, she was the partner of Harvey Bullock.
Fans got to know Montoya more on the Batman animated cartoons. Movie fans will get a chance to finally meet her when she appears in the 2020 DC movieBirds of Prey.
In 1992, a new Batman villain made his debut when Mr. Zsasz appeared for the first time in the pages ofBatman: Shadow of the Bat #1. Like most of the villains in the world of Batman, Mr. Zsasz was not superhuman at all, but was instead a vicious serial killer.
RELATED:10 DC villains more manipulative than Baron Zemo
Victor Zsasz was, at one time, the head of his own company, but when his parents died, he lost all his money. He then tried to take his own life, but when a passer-bysaved him, he killed the man and then decided he did him a favor. Every time he kills a person, he slices a mark into his body.
Harley Quinn is a unique DC Comics character. She didn't make her debut in the comics at all. Harley Quinn made her first appearance onBatman: The Animated Series on Sept. 11, 1992. She was an original animated cartoon character, later introduced into the comic books.
Harley Quinn made her first comic book appearance inThe Batman Adventures #12 one year later in September 1993. She has since become one of DC's most beloved characters, moving from her role as Joker's sidekick to a member of the Suicide Squad, and she will also appear in 2020's Birds of Prey.
One of Batman's most powerful enemies is Bane, and he made hisDC Comics debut in 1993 inBatman: Vengeance of Bane #1. The fact that Bane got a series named after him showed that DC was serious about making him a massive threat. He was more than that.
Bane is the villain who broke the bat. During the storylineKnightfall, Bane was able to break down Batman little by little, as he sends most of Batman's most dangerous villains after him. When Batman is finally at his weakest, Bane broke Batman's back and took him out of action for a long time.
After Superman died at the hands of Doomsday, four new versions of Superman showed up. One was a villain introduced in the '90s, Cyborg Superman. Another was John Henry Irons' Steel. The other two were the Eradicator and a new version of Superboy. Out of the four, it was Superboy that made the most impact.
Kon-El was a clone created from Superman's DNA. He went on to create his own legacy as a member of the Teen Titans and later Young Justice. He was a massive part of theYoung Justicecartoon and is one of the most important DC characters created after theDeath of Superman event.
In the 1980s, Barry Allen gave his life to save the world inCrisis on Infinite Earths. When the multiple Earths rebooted into one, it was Wally West who was the new Flash, quickly becoming one of the most popular versions of Flash in DC Comics history.
RELATED: 10 Most Heartbreaking Things To Happen During A DC Crisis Event
With Wally West giving up his role as Kid Flash to become the main DC Comics version of Flash, it opened up a character.Bart Allen debuted in 1994 as the new Kid Flash. Bart debuted inThe Flash #91, the grandson of Barry Allen from the future.
In the '90s, Hal Jordan watched his beloved Coast City destroyed by Mogul and Cyborg Superman and used his powers to bring it back. The idea was to make Hal a villain and replace him as the Earth's Green Lantern. That new Lantern was a young man named Kyle Rayner.
Rayner made his first appearance in DC Comics inGreen Lantern (Vol. 3)#48, and he became the new Green Lantern two issues later. Kyle became hugely popular, an artist who was able to use his creativity when creating his weapons and was easier for young fans to relate to than Hal Jordan.
Parallax is one of the most dangerous villains in the world of the Green Lantern Corps. The demon with the power to control minds and cast fear made its debutinGreen Lantern (Vol. 3) #50 and was strong enough to warp the mind of Hal Jordan and turn him into a villain.
With Parallax controlling him, Hal Jordan became the most powerful villain in DC Comics, and even the greatest heroes couldn't beat him. When Hal came back to his senses,he gave his life to save the Earth andParallax was finally defeated.
NEXT: The 10 Most Important Green Lantern Stories You Probably Never Read
Tags:dc comics,harley quinn,doomsday
NextThe 10 Worst Things DC Has Done to Dick Grayson
See original here:
- The Great Divide: What is the biggest dream fight fans missed out on? - MMA Fighting - March 26th, 2020
- Darkseid is Showing Thanos How You REALLY Change Reality - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 100 Fights to Watch at Home this Weekend - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - March 26th, 2020
- The Mandalorian casts Terminator and Aliens legend Michael Biehn as bounty hunter in Disney+ season 2 - The Irish Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Walking the Walk and Heeding the Talk for Now - The SandPaper - March 26th, 2020
- 15 Female UFC Fighters In Their Workout And Gym Gear | TheThings - TheThings - March 26th, 2020
- Super Promotions: 10 Teen Characters Who Graduated To The Avengers Or Justice League - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 26th, 2020
- DCEU: 10 Ways The Slate Has Changed Since The Franchise Began - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Here is every UFC womens champion in the history of the promotion - FanSided - March 26th, 2020
- Meet The STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS of Marvel's New Comic - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2020
- Planet Earth Report Cyborgs Will Lead Us to an Intelligent Universe to a New Force of Nature - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - March 16th, 2020
- 'War of the Worlds' Episode 5: Killer cyborgs' obsession with babies is show's biggest mystery - MEAWW - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists successfully created a cybernetic neural network - The Next Web - March 16th, 2020
- Patricio Freire's title, tourney hopes on the line at closed Bellator event - ESPN - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists Linked Artificial and Biological Neurons in a Networkand Amazingly, It Worked - Singularity Hub - March 16th, 2020
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 - Netflix Shares New Stills from Its CG Anime - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 16th, 2020
- The Terminator sequel trilogies that never were - Film Stories - March 16th, 2020
- The Pac-12 in Polaroids - Rule Of Tree - March 16th, 2020
- Who Wants To Help Steve Cohen Build A Trading Cyborg? - Dealbreaker - March 8th, 2020
- Alita's got nothing on this mind-controlled robotic arm that links to your nerves - SYFY WIRE - March 8th, 2020
- 'Don Giovanni' breaks fourth wall, fuses cyborgs with Mozart classic - Indiana University The Penn Online - March 8th, 2020
- 5 Things About Nebula The MCU Changed (& 5 They Kept The Same) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 8th, 2020
- 8 books that inspired fashion collections - Dazed - March 8th, 2020
- Enforce Earbud-Only Zones For The Jerks Infecting The Public With Noise - The Federalist - March 8th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 2: Where You Know Trepps Actor From - Screen Rant - March 8th, 2020
- Cyborg | DC - March 4th, 2020
- This is What the Cyborg Movie in the DCEU Can be Like - TVOvermind - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim about a cyborg on a dying Earth - PC Gamer - March 4th, 2020
- Cyborg | Teen Titans Wiki | Fandom - March 4th, 2020
- This YouTube time traveler says hes a cyborg from 2050and he wants you to buy merch - The Daily Dot - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim a couple of cyborg on a dying Earth - BingePost - March 4th, 2020
- Energizer Hard Case H280S: A KaiOS-powered blower that can withstand a few knocks - The Register - March 4th, 2020
- DC: 5 Superheroes We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 4th, 2020
- Apple to pay up to $500M over battery-related phone slowdown - ABC 4 - March 4th, 2020
- Felicia 'The FeeNom' Spencer's future could be of vital importance to the UFC after Cris Cyborg fight - Sportskeeda - February 29th, 2020
- Felicia Spencer Aiming For A Title Shot - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - February 29th, 2020
- Teamfight Tactics' next update turns everyone into cyborgs and Sailor Moon - PC Gamer - February 29th, 2020
- Made In Abyss: 10 Burning Questions About Season One That The Sequel Could Finally Answer - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- Star Trek: Picard Fixes The Biggest Problem With First Contact - Screen Rant - February 29th, 2020
- Doctor Who is clearly rewriting the history and future of an iconic villain - SYFY WIRE - February 29th, 2020
- Alita: Battle Angel - 5 Things The Live-Action Movies Got Right (& 5 Things That The Anime Did Better) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- This Cyborg Man Devised a Way to Play Music with His Mind - Beebom - February 29th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode 1 recap: The Bad Batch blazes into action on Disney Plus - CNET - February 29th, 2020
- Roxane Gay World of Wakanda Was a Short-lived but Brilliant Series - Comic Years - February 29th, 2020
- Cyborg grasshoppers have been engineered to sniff out explosives - New Scientist News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'Cyborg' grasshopper engineered to sniff explosives - E&T Magazine - February 23rd, 2020
- The life of a voluntary cyborg - University Affairs - February 23rd, 2020
- Harley Quinn's Cyborg Might Be Better Than the Justice League's - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 23rd, 2020
- Sy Borgman: The new Cyborg in town! - Animated Times - February 23rd, 2020
- See Henry Cavill With Black Superman Costume & Beard In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - February 23rd, 2020
- Grievous began to realize far too late - Dork Side of the Force - February 23rd, 2020
- 7 Dance Performances to See in N.Y.C. This Weekend - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Doom Patrol Season 2 Brings In a New Character Having Cyborg Connection! Find Out Who He/She Is! - Top Buzz Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Fighters and Boxers React to Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder - Heavy.com - February 23rd, 2020
- Scientists create cyborg jellyfish with swimming superpowers - CNET - January 30th, 2020
- New Bellator champ Cris Cyborg was as raw, violent and captivating as ever - The Athletic - January 30th, 2020
- Cyborg Smashes Budd at Bellator 238 to Win Title: Caldwell Taps Borics in Featherweight Grand Prix - BroBible - January 30th, 2020
- B.C. Budd aims to unleash fine form on Cyborg in MMA cage at The Forum - Vancouver Sun - January 30th, 2020
- The J-curve of technology: From Snapchat to cyborgs - Media Update - January 30th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg reveals one thing Conor McGregor must to do on UFC return - Metro.co.uk - January 19th, 2020
- Thor3D announces 3D scanning bundles with Zbrush and Cyborg - TCT Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Fans of Flash think Cyborg could be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earth too! - Animated Times - January 19th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg: The Best Featherweights Are In Bellator, UFC Champion Is On An Island (Exclusive) - LowKick MMA - January 19th, 2020
- Bellator star Cris Cyborg reveals WWE and boxing are both possible options for her ahead of Julia Budd clash - NewsChain - January 19th, 2020
- The Flash Fans Think Cyborg Could Be in the Movie Thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths - Comicbook.com - January 19th, 2020
- Commentators hilariously react to Clippers Kawhi Leonard operating electronic device attached to his knees - ClutchPoints - January 19th, 2020
- Xavier Litt: Chess shows that humans and AI work better together - Irish Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Revisiting System Shock, and the birth of immersive sim design - PC Gamer - January 19th, 2020
- Horizon: Zero Dawn may reportedly be heading to PC this year - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 19th, 2020
- Grant Gustin Shares BTS Shots of Him and Ezra Miller as Flash - Epicstream - January 19th, 2020
- Scott Coker explains why Cris Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time - MMA Mania - December 28th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 28th, 2019
- The best female MMA fighters of the decade - ESPN - December 28th, 2019
- The Coolest (and Scariest) Military Tech of 2019 - Futurism - December 28th, 2019
- The biggest MMA stories of 2019 - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Top 10 MMA fighters of the 2010s: Discussion video, facts about our list - MMA Junkie - December 28th, 2019
- Kevin Smith Reveals His 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Cameo - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - December 28th, 2019
- Top-10 MMA fighters of the decade - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Henry Cavill's 'The Witcher' Gets An Official Rotten Tomatoes Score - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- 'Star Wars': Adam Driver Hosting First Saturday Night Live Of 2020 - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019