SJ Games vs. the Secret Service
On March 1, 1990, the offices of Steve Jackson Games, in Austin, Texas, were raided by the U.S. Secret Service as part of a nationwide investigation of data piracy. The initial news stories simply reported that the Secret Service had raided a suspected ring of hackers. Gradually, the true story emerged.
More than three years later, a federal court awarded damages and attorneys' fees to the game company, ruling that the raid had been careless, illegal, and completely unjustified. Electronic civil-liberties advocates hailed the case as a landmark. It was the first step toward establishing that online speech IS speech, and entitled to Constitutional protection ... and, specifically, that law-enforcement agents can't seize and hold a BBS with impunity.
On the morning of March 1, without warning, a force of armed Secret Service agents accompanied by Austin police and at least one civilian "expert" from the phone company occupied the offices of Steve Jackson Games and began to search for computer equipment. The home of Loyd Blankenship, the writer of GURPS Cyberpunk, was also raided. A large amount of equipment was seized, including four computers, two laser printers, some loose hard disks and a great deal of assorted hardware. One of the computers was the one running the Illuminati BBS.
The only computers taken were those with GURPS Cyberpunk files; other systems were left in place. In their diligent search for evidence, the agents also cut off locks, forced open footlockers, tore up dozens of boxes in the warehouse, and bent two of the office letter openers attempting to pick the lock on a file cabinet.
The next day, accompanied by an attorney, Steve Jackson visited the Austin offices of the Secret Service. He had been promised that he could make copies of the company's files. As it turned out, he was only allowed to copy a few files, and only from one system. Still missing were all the current text files and hard copy for this book, as well as the files for the Illuminati BBS with their extensive playtest comments.
In the course of that visit, it became clear that the investigating agents considered GURPS Cyberpunk to be "a handbook for computer crime." They seemed to make no distinction between a discussion of futuristic credit fraud, using equipment that doesn't exist, and modern real-life credit card abuse. A repeated comment by the agents was "This is real."
Over the next few weeks, the Secret Service repeatedly assured the SJ Games attorney that complete copies of the files would be returned "tomorrow." But these promises weren't kept; the book was reconstructed from old backups, playtest copies, notes and memories.
On March 26, almost four weeks after the raid, some (but not all) of the files were returned. It was June 21, nearly four months later, when most (but not all) of the hardware was returned. The Secret Service kept one company hard disk, all Loyd's personal equipment and files, the printouts of GURPS Cyberpunk, and several other things.
The raid, and especially the confiscation of the game manuscript, caused a catastrophic interruption of the company's business. SJ Games very nearly closed its doors. It survived only by laying off half its employees, and it was years before it could be said to have "recovered."
Why was SJ Games raided? That was a mystery until October 21, 1990, when the company finally received a copy of the Secret Service warrant affidavit at their request, it had been sealed. And the answer was ... guilt by remote association.
While reality-checking the book, Loyd Blankenship corresponded with a variety of people, from computer security experts to self-confessed computer crackers. From his home, he ran a legal BBS which discussed the "computer underground," and he knew many of its members. That was enough to put him on a federal List of Dangerous Hoodlums! The affidavit on which SJ Games were raided was unbelievably flimsy ... Loyd Blankenship was suspect because he ran a technologically literate and politically irreverent BBS, because he wrote about hacking, and because he received and re-posted a copy of the /Phrack newsletter. The company was raided simply because Loyd worked there and used its (entirely different) BBS!
As for GURPS Cyberpunk, it had merely been a target of opportunity ... something "suspicious" that the agents picked up at the scene. The Secret Service allowed SJ Games (and the public) to believe, for months, that the book had been the target of the raid.
The one bright spot in this whole affair was the creation of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. In mid-1990, Mitch Kapor, John Barlow and John Gilmore formed the EFF to address this and similar outrages. It's a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the Constitutional rights of computer users. (For more information, look at the EFF web site, or write them at 454 Shotwell St., San Francisco, CA 94110.) The EFF provided the financial backing that made it possible for SJ Games and four Illuminati users to file suit against the Secret Service.
Two active electronic-civil-liberties groups also formed in Texas: EFF-Austin and Electronic Frontiers Houston, which have since merged to become Electronic Frontiers Texas.
And science fiction writer Bruce Sterling turned his hand to journalism and wrote The Hacker Crackdown about this and other cases where the law collided with technology. A few months after it was published in hardback, he released it to the Net, and you can read it online.
In early 1993, the case finally came to trial. SJ Games was represented by the Austin firm of George, Donaldson & Ford. The lead counsel was Pete Kennedy.
And we won. The judge gave the Secret Service a tongue-lashing and ruled for SJ Games on two out of the three counts, and awarded over $50,000 in damages, plus over $250,000 in attorney's fees. In October 1994, the Fifth Circuit turned down SJ Games' appeal of the last (interception) count ... meaning that right now, in the Fifth Circuit, it is not "interception" of your e-mail messages when law enforcement officials walk out the door with the computer holding them.
See the rest here:
- Cyberpunk 2077 releases a song that rhymes 'Keanu Reeves' with 'Sleeve' - PC Gamer - November 13th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 release date: Everything you need to know - ClutchPoints - November 13th, 2020
- Cyberpunk RED Review: Jack-in to your new favourite tabletop RPG - Express - November 13th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 is just one part of a massive cyberpunk game boom that's 'speaking truth to power' - SYFY WIRE - November 13th, 2020
- If a thing exists, you can probably buy a Cyberpunk 2077 themed version of it now - PC Gamer - November 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk Comments on 'Cyberpunk 2077's' Delay Hoping it Won't Affect the Game - Tech Times - November 13th, 2020
- Adidas unveils Cyberpunk 2077 shoes and they look grittily cool - GEEKSPIN - November 13th, 2020
- BMW's Cyberpunk Motorrad Definition CE 04 Concept Is Here to Drag Scooters Into the Future - The Drive - November 13th, 2020
- Run the Jewels' new song 'No Save Point' to feature in 'Cyberpunk 2077', fans say it is 'perfect for the game' - MEAWW - November 13th, 2020
- Gear Up For Night City With The Razer Viper Ultimate Cyberpunk 2077 Edition Wireless Gaming Mouse - Geek Culture - November 13th, 2020
- OnePlus 8T Cyberpunk 2077 Limited Edition is out tomorrow, hundreds of thousands of fans ordered the smartphone - Phone Mantra - November 13th, 2020
- A new Cyberpunk 2077 teaser asks what you're looking for in Night City - Windows Central - October 19th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 will launch on Stadia the same day as console and PC - The Verge - October 19th, 2020
- A Closer Look at the Vehicles in Cyberpunk 2077 - Tom's Hardware - October 19th, 2020
- Two Number Twos: Cyberpunk 2077 And Vampire: The Masquerade - Bleeding Cool News - October 19th, 2020
- Half-Life 2 meets Cyberpunk 2077 in this full conversion mod - PCGamesN - October 19th, 2020
- REVIEWED: Cloudpunk Is The Baby Sibling of Cyberpunk 2077 and There's Nothing Wrong with That #Review #GamingNews #video - redcarpetreporttv.com - October 19th, 2020
- Beyond Cyberpunk: The Intersection of Technology and Science Fiction - tor.com - October 19th, 2020
- Analyst Believes Black Ops Cold War Will Outsell Cyberpunk 2077and AC Valhalla - EssentiallySports - October 19th, 2020
- Tales of the Neon Sea is an upcoming cyberpunk-themed adventure game that's heading for iOS - Pocket Gamer - October 19th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 dev breaks promise, will force employees to work six days a week - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- Ghostrunner Interview The Other Cyberpunk from Poland, Also Featuring RTX and NVIDIA DLSS - Wccftech - September 30th, 2020
- How The Witcher 3 Could Have Hurt Cyberpunk 2077s Development - GameRant - September 30th, 2020
- Anshar Studios on making Gamedec, cyberpunk RPG that occasinally makes fun of games, gamers and gaming industry - Game World Observer - September 30th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Will Definitely Play On Your PS5 And Xbox Series X - Press Start Australia - September 29th, 2020
- This Cyberpunk 2077 Johnny Silverhand 1/4 Scale Statue Is Perfection, But It'll Cost You - Gaming Ideology - September 29th, 2020
- Cyberpunk - Wikipedia - September 18th, 2020
- Heres what you need to run Cyberpunk 2077 on PC - The Verge - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 system requirements revealed, here's what you'll need to play - GamesRadar+ - September 18th, 2020
- First Cyberpunk 2077 Platinum trophy has already been claimed - GamesRadar+ - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk creator says its harder to reach fans directly in videogames The stakes are ridiculous - PCGamesN - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire: How To Watch Today's Stream - GameSpot - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Gangs of Night City | Game Rant - GameRant - September 18th, 2020
- HEALTH announce album of collaborations, share new song CYBERPUNK 184.108.40.206. - Brooklyn Vegan - September 18th, 2020
- Hackers Is a Glorious Cyberpunk Classic That Might Actually Say Nothing About Technology - Jezebel - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 May Repeat the Mistakes of Skyrim | Game Rant - GameRant - August 20th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About Cyberpunk 2077s Anime, Edgerunners - Fiction Talk - August 20th, 2020
- The World of Cyberpunk 2077 Beyond Night City | Game Rant - GameRant - August 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Is An RPG First, One Dev Reassures Fans (VIDEO) - Don't Feed the Gamers - August 20th, 2020
- From Cyberpunk 2077 to God of War: video games that will become anime and comics - Asap Land - August 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 details weapons and origin story "life paths" in latest livestream - Eurogamer.net - August 10th, 2020
- More of the Cyberpunk 2077 soundtrack was released during today's Night City Wire - GamesRadar+ - August 10th, 2020
- Live: Watch the Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire Livestream Right Here - Push Square - August 10th, 2020
- From the creator of the Cyberpunk keeblade comes an adorable Ditto keyboard - PC Gamer - August 10th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire event: Watch the gameplay livestream right here - Pocket-lint - August 10th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 is getting its second Night City Wire on August 10, will reveal more info about gameplay - Windows Central - August 10th, 2020
- The cyberpunk world of Anno: Mutationem comes to PS4 - PlayStation.Blog - August 10th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 and cosplay: 400 hours of work for this replica of V's jacket - Asap Land - August 10th, 2020
- Gamedec Revels in Player Choice, but It'll Be Hard to Pull Off What It Promises - The Escapist - August 10th, 2020
- Fall Guys and Cyberpunk 2077? Joke exchange on Twitter, but The Witcher intrudes! - Asap Land - August 10th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077's Dialogue Interactions Will Be Extremely Immersive - GameRant - August 8th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire Stream Coming Next Week ... - August 7th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2020 | Cyberpunk Wiki | Fandom - August 7th, 2020
- More Cyberpunk 2077 details coming very soon in new Night City Wire show - PCGamesN - August 7th, 2020
- Cyberpunkdreams Has Announced A Free Beta For Its Text-Based Cyberpunk RPG Adventure - Happy Gamer - August 6th, 2020
- Be Wary Of This Cyberpunk 2077 Scam Pokde.Net - Pokde.Net - August 6th, 2020
- GameStop: from FIFA 21 to Cyberpunk 2077, book new games and save on second hand - Asap Land - August 6th, 2020
- Fake Cyberpunk 2077 beta invites are making the rounds, CD Projekt Red warns - GamesRadar+ - August 3rd, 2020
- Grounded Is Happy To Bow Down To Cyberpunk 2077 In This Trailer - GameSpot - August 3rd, 2020
- CD Projekt Red says there wont be a Cyberpunk 2077 beta following email scam - Digital Trends - August 3rd, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 is "not a political statement" says CD Projekt Red - KitGuru - August 1st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Developer Comments on BLM's Influence on the Game - ComicBook.com - July 31st, 2020
- You can explore the ocean in Cyberpunk 2077 but don't expect a water exploration game - AltChar - July 31st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Is the Biggest Game of the Year- Grounded Announces at Xbox Games Showcase - Essentially Sports - July 31st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077-Inspired Game Boy | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 30th, 2020
- CDPR Confirms Cyberpunk 2077 Won't Feature Dual-Wielding Weapons - PlayStation Universe - July 27th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 dual wielding is not a thing - VG247 - July 25th, 2020
- Cyberpunk Edgerunners: What To Expect? - NationEditions - July 25th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Badlands concept art revealed - VG247 - July 23rd, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 System Requirements: What Hardware Do You ... - July 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 concept art has a really weird dog and I'm into it - GamesRadar+ - July 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Gets Glams of Upcoming McFarlane Toys Wave 2 - Bleeding Cool News - July 21st, 2020
- Players Will Be Able to Beat Cyberpunk 2077 Without Completing the Main Story - PlayStation LifeStyle - July 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Offers Unique Way for Beating the Game | Game Rant - GameRant - July 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Team is Trying to Set a New 'Benchmark' - GameRant - July 20th, 2020
- 10 Sick Cyberpunk Car Renders We'd Love To Drive In Real Life - HotCars - July 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077's Star-Studded Voice Actor Cast List | Game Rant - GameRant - July 19th, 2020
- Update: Cyberpunk 2077 Adds New Perks, Playstyles And The Ability To Change Your Characters C... - Happy Gamer - July 19th, 2020
- Check Out This Champion Beatboxer Cover the Cyberpunk 2077 Theme Music - Beebom - July 18th, 2020
- Xbox Teases What to Expect From July Games Showcase - Halo, Cyberpunk 2077, Exclusive Games & More | - TechQuila - July 18th, 2020