Update: Some changesundisclosedhave been made to the interview hosted on the CD Projekt website, subtly changing the meaning of a comment made by CDPR studio head Adam Badowski.
The interview was originally conducted in Polish and was translated to English for the website. CD Projekt is a Polish company with a lot of English speakers, but it's still possible that there was a mistranslation.
In the initial translation, Badowski was recorded as stating "The key takeaway is that diversity... and the differing sensitivities and outlooks which result from it, must not lead to conflict. In this way our teams energy can be fully directed towards creation."
The updated version now reads "and the differing sensitivities and outlooks which result from it, are not leading to conflict." On the surface it's a tiny alteration, but it's one that does affect the meaning.
Original story: CD Projekt CEO Adam Kiciski and CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski have given an interview discussing the studio's approach to inclusion and diversity at the publisher.
The interview, originally given in Polish to Rzeczpospolita Daily, was translated into English for the CDP website. In it, interviewer Katarzyna Kucharczyk probes Kiciski and Badowski about how the company comes across as more vocal on diversity and injustice than other companies in the increasingly-conservative Poland.
While the interview uncritically presents CDP as a big company that just loves diversity (CD Projekt became Europe's largest gaming company in May, overtaking Ubisoft), there are still a few interesting statements from both Kiciski and Badowski regarding their approach to inclusion at the studio and how it tackles the themes of its games.
When asked about CDP's action in making the studio more diverse and inclusive, Kiciski claims that the company prides itself on its diversity, before following it up with a caveat. "We also realize that efficient operation requires active measures promoting mutual respect and tolerance". While this could optimistically be read as Kiciski saying diversity is something that should actively be worked towards, a later statement by Badowski instead paints an image of it simply meaning diversity and inclusion shouldn't rock the boat.
Talking about the importance of tolerance in the creative process, Badowski discusses how some at the studio believe in a definition of tolerance as "the capacity to respect other people's needs and opinions which we ourselves do not espouse, and to refrain from combating phenomena which we regard as evil. Others are more in line with Poppers proposition that a tolerant society, if it is to remain tolerant, must not tolerate intolerance. There are also people at our studio who disagree with both views."
While Badowski himself doesn't say which definition he ascribes to, he does say "The key takeaway is that diversity... and the differing sensitivities and outlooks which result from it, must not lead to conflict. In this way our teams energy can be fully directed towards creation."
It's worth mentioning that, over the years, CD Projekt has had numerous allegations a toxic workplace culture full of crunch and bullying. In that context, a studio heard saying his workers don't believe in "combating phenomena which we regard as evil" explains a lot more about CD Projekt as a company than Badowski may have intended it to.
More weirdness is found later in the interview, when Kiciski goes on a random tangent about how California is an "excellent example of how openness, respect and tolerance foster innovative businesses and stimulate the economy". Silicon Valley infamously suffers from a diversity problem, fuelled in part by bias hiring practices (as of 2019, only 6% of Apple's employees were Black, and only 23% of Facebook's workforce were women) and gentrification in the area pricing out those from unprivileged groups.
Kiciski even seems to imply that sexism isn't as big an issue in gaming as it is elsewhere, stating that "in the 20th century the superb writer Andre Norton (born Alice Mary Norton) chose to publish under a male pseudonym because her publisher believed that the masculinized readership demographic would not take interest in fantasy authored by a woman. There is no such issue with videogames".
While he is technically correct, games are almost always published under studio and publisher names, rather than by an individual who would need to use a pseudonym, and so isn't a fair comparison. It also completely ignores how women in the industry have once again had to speak out publicly about the harassment they've been subjected to while working in the games industrywomen may not have to work under a pseudonym, but they're still getting harassed and assaulted.
All in all, this whole interview paints a very bleak image of CD Projekt. The studio is making a cyberpunk game, a hugely political genre about the terminal nature of unrestrained capitalism, and the the studio head is here saying tolerance is about "not combating phenomena which we regard as evil". Cyberpunk 2077 will probably be a technical achievement and impressive bit of development, but this interview has all but killed my faith in it actually tackling the core politics of its genre.
See the original post:
- Cyberpunk 2077 dev breaks promise, will force employees to work six days a week - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- Ghostrunner Interview The Other Cyberpunk from Poland, Also Featuring RTX and NVIDIA DLSS - Wccftech - September 30th, 2020
- How The Witcher 3 Could Have Hurt Cyberpunk 2077s Development - GameRant - September 30th, 2020
- Anshar Studios on making Gamedec, cyberpunk RPG that occasinally makes fun of games, gamers and gaming industry - Game World Observer - September 30th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Will Definitely Play On Your PS5 And Xbox Series X - Press Start Australia - September 29th, 2020
- This Cyberpunk 2077 Johnny Silverhand 1/4 Scale Statue Is Perfection, But It'll Cost You - Gaming Ideology - September 29th, 2020
- Cyberpunk - Wikipedia - September 18th, 2020
- Heres what you need to run Cyberpunk 2077 on PC - The Verge - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 system requirements revealed, here's what you'll need to play - GamesRadar+ - September 18th, 2020
- First Cyberpunk 2077 Platinum trophy has already been claimed - GamesRadar+ - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk creator says its harder to reach fans directly in videogames The stakes are ridiculous - PCGamesN - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire: How To Watch Today's Stream - GameSpot - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: The Gangs of Night City | Game Rant - GameRant - September 18th, 2020
- HEALTH announce album of collaborations, share new song CYBERPUNK 22.214.171.124. - Brooklyn Vegan - September 18th, 2020
- Hackers Is a Glorious Cyberpunk Classic That Might Actually Say Nothing About Technology - Jezebel - September 18th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 May Repeat the Mistakes of Skyrim | Game Rant - GameRant - August 20th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About Cyberpunk 2077s Anime, Edgerunners - Fiction Talk - August 20th, 2020
- The World of Cyberpunk 2077 Beyond Night City | Game Rant - GameRant - August 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Is An RPG First, One Dev Reassures Fans (VIDEO) - Don't Feed the Gamers - August 20th, 2020
- From Cyberpunk 2077 to God of War: video games that will become anime and comics - Asap Land - August 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 details weapons and origin story "life paths" in latest livestream - Eurogamer.net - August 10th, 2020
- More of the Cyberpunk 2077 soundtrack was released during today's Night City Wire - GamesRadar+ - August 10th, 2020
- Live: Watch the Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire Livestream Right Here - Push Square - August 10th, 2020
- From the creator of the Cyberpunk keeblade comes an adorable Ditto keyboard - PC Gamer - August 10th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire event: Watch the gameplay livestream right here - Pocket-lint - August 10th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 is getting its second Night City Wire on August 10, will reveal more info about gameplay - Windows Central - August 10th, 2020
- The cyberpunk world of Anno: Mutationem comes to PS4 - PlayStation.Blog - August 10th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 and cosplay: 400 hours of work for this replica of V's jacket - Asap Land - August 10th, 2020
- Gamedec Revels in Player Choice, but It'll Be Hard to Pull Off What It Promises - The Escapist - August 10th, 2020
- Fall Guys and Cyberpunk 2077? Joke exchange on Twitter, but The Witcher intrudes! - Asap Land - August 10th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077's Dialogue Interactions Will Be Extremely Immersive - GameRant - August 8th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire Stream Coming Next Week ... - August 7th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2020 | Cyberpunk Wiki | Fandom - August 7th, 2020
- More Cyberpunk 2077 details coming very soon in new Night City Wire show - PCGamesN - August 7th, 2020
- Cyberpunkdreams Has Announced A Free Beta For Its Text-Based Cyberpunk RPG Adventure - Happy Gamer - August 6th, 2020
- Be Wary Of This Cyberpunk 2077 Scam Pokde.Net - Pokde.Net - August 6th, 2020
- GameStop: from FIFA 21 to Cyberpunk 2077, book new games and save on second hand - Asap Land - August 6th, 2020
- Fake Cyberpunk 2077 beta invites are making the rounds, CD Projekt Red warns - GamesRadar+ - August 3rd, 2020
- Grounded Is Happy To Bow Down To Cyberpunk 2077 In This Trailer - GameSpot - August 3rd, 2020
- CD Projekt Red says there wont be a Cyberpunk 2077 beta following email scam - Digital Trends - August 3rd, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 is "not a political statement" says CD Projekt Red - KitGuru - August 1st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Developer Comments on BLM's Influence on the Game - ComicBook.com - July 31st, 2020
- You can explore the ocean in Cyberpunk 2077 but don't expect a water exploration game - AltChar - July 31st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Is the Biggest Game of the Year- Grounded Announces at Xbox Games Showcase - Essentially Sports - July 31st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077-Inspired Game Boy | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 30th, 2020
- CDPR Confirms Cyberpunk 2077 Won't Feature Dual-Wielding Weapons - PlayStation Universe - July 27th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 dual wielding is not a thing - VG247 - July 25th, 2020
- Cyberpunk Edgerunners: What To Expect? - NationEditions - July 25th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Badlands concept art revealed - VG247 - July 23rd, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 System Requirements: What Hardware Do You ... - July 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 concept art has a really weird dog and I'm into it - GamesRadar+ - July 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Gets Glams of Upcoming McFarlane Toys Wave 2 - Bleeding Cool News - July 21st, 2020
- Players Will Be Able to Beat Cyberpunk 2077 Without Completing the Main Story - PlayStation LifeStyle - July 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Offers Unique Way for Beating the Game | Game Rant - GameRant - July 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Team is Trying to Set a New 'Benchmark' - GameRant - July 20th, 2020
- 10 Sick Cyberpunk Car Renders We'd Love To Drive In Real Life - HotCars - July 20th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077's Star-Studded Voice Actor Cast List | Game Rant - GameRant - July 19th, 2020
- Update: Cyberpunk 2077 Adds New Perks, Playstyles And The Ability To Change Your Characters C... - Happy Gamer - July 19th, 2020
- Check Out This Champion Beatboxer Cover the Cyberpunk 2077 Theme Music - Beebom - July 18th, 2020
- Xbox Teases What to Expect From July Games Showcase - Halo, Cyberpunk 2077, Exclusive Games & More | - TechQuila - July 18th, 2020
- CD Projekt Red tribute shows Kojima as a Cyberpunk 2077 character - PC Gamer - July 17th, 2020
- Update: Cyberpunk 2077 Adds New Perks, Playstyles And The Ability To Change Your Character's Clothing In Preview - Happy Gamer - July 17th, 2020
- Revolution Software's cyberpunk adventure 'Beyond a Steel Sky' is out now on PC - GamingLyfe Network - July 17th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: where to buy the collectors editions and other cool merch deals - VG247 - July 16th, 2020
- CD Projekt Red shows off more areas of Cyberpunk 2077's Night City - KitGuru - July 16th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Speaks About The Importance Of Diversity And Inclusion - GameSpot - July 16th, 2020
- Wyrd Games Goes Retro With 80s Cyberpunk Themed Nightmare Edition - TheGamer - July 16th, 2020
- New Cyberpunk 2077 Cyberware Info Revealed | Game Rant - GameRant - July 15th, 2020
- Cyberpunk Books - Goodreads - July 14th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: 5 Confirmed Things From The Tabletop (& 5 We Hope They'll Use) - GameRant - July 14th, 2020
- New Cyberpunk 2077 district revealed, and it looks gorgeous - PCGamesN - July 14th, 2020
- Strife Is The Cyberpunk 2077 Of The Doom Clone Era | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 14th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Highlights Character Evelyn Parker (VIDEO) - Don't Feed the Gamers - July 13th, 2020
- Check Out This Beatboxer Cover the Cyberpunk 2077 Theme - Enter21st - July 12th, 2020
- Top 10 Cyberpunk Films From The '90s, Ranked (According To IMDb) - Screen Rant - July 12th, 2020
- CD Projekt Red has no Game Pass plans for Cyberpunk 2077 - VentureBeat - July 11th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 to run only on DX12 but Win10 is not required - AltChar - July 11th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Reveals Two New Characters | Game Rant - GameRant - July 11th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 delay moves release into November - VentureBeat - June 21st, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Gets A Second Wave of Figures from McFarlane Toys - Bleeding Cool News - June 21st, 2020