Altered Carbon has returned to Netflix for its second season.
The series launched in February 2018, adapted from Richard K. Morgans novel of the same name. Morgans novel is regarded as one of the modern classics of cyberpunk science fiction, winning the Philip K. Dick Award for Best Novel in 2003. The novel and series unfold in a future where mankind has harnessed stack technology to allow consciousness to survive the death of a body, offering functional immortality to those wealthy enough to afford it.
Altered Carbon is certainly a lavish production, as one might expect from a high-profile Netflix Original. The project was announced as part of a $5B investment in original content. As ever, Netflix has played coy with the actual numbers, but actor Joel Kinnaman insisted that it cost more than the first three seasons of Game of Thrones. Estimates suggest that each of the first seasons 10 episodes had a budget of between $6M and $7M each.
The shows ambition matches its budget. Writing before the launch of the first season, Morgan asserted that the long-term aim is to produce at least five seasons of the show. This may be optimistic, given that the streaming services preferred length of three seasons per show would line up neatly with the three books in the core Takeshi Kovacs series. Still, there is some indication that Netflix is happy with the show for the moment, announcing a second season only five months after the release of the first.
Much like The Expanse, a television adaptation of Altered Carbon is the kind of project that has only become feasible in the era of streaming giants. It would be too risky a proposition for traditional broadcast television in terms of genre and content, and it would be unlikely to attract a large enough audience to justify its survival if Nielsens viewership estimates are to be trusted. Its budget would place a heavy strain on boutique cable providers like HBO or Showtime. Netflix was the only way forward.
In keeping with the cyberpunk aesthetic, the first season of Altered Carbon is structured as a noir-infused murder mystery playing off the shows central concept. Takeshi Kovacs (Kinnaman) finds himself released from prison at the behest of wealthy philanthropist and entrepreneur Laurens Bancroft (James Purefoy) to investigate a locked-room murder. This mystery is complicated by the fact that Bancroft himself was the victim, his consciousness restored from a backup with no memory of what happened.
The first season of Altered Carbon uses this mystery as a spine to explore its world. The series is obviously inspired by a wealth of classic science fiction sources, from the original Blade Runner to the work of William Gibson, but the series is most interesting in its exploration of the nature of consciousness what happens when a mind moves from body to body, and what are the implications of that? In a world where life is already cheap, what happens when death is removed from the equation?
Altered Carbon doesnt always push its core ideas in the most interesting direction. There is occasionally a sense that the central stack technology is treated as an abstract thought experiment, rather than following it through to its most fundamental conclusions. Still, the series gets a lot of mileage out of the incongruities of the technology, most notably with the body of a simpleminded gangbanger (Matt Biedel) that alternately houses a Latinx grandmother and a local crime boss over the course of the series.
Still, Altered Carbon is a loving cyberpunk homage. It takes great pleasure in the cheesy hard-boiled dialogue associated with the genre. If I were afraid, would you save me, Mr. Kovacs? coos Miriam Bancroft (Kristin Lehman). Kovacs responds, Im not sure you need saving. Kovacs allies with an artificial intelligence that styles itself after Edgar Allan Poe (Chris Conner) and even engages in a deathmatch in a fightdrome operated by the sadistic Carnage (Matt Frewer). Even the seriess delightfully lurid violence and (equal opportunity but still) gratuitous nudity feel like a loving tribute to the genre.
The second season of Altered Carbon offers something of a fresh start for the series. Kovacs has been re-sleeved given a new body which allows for the series to swap leads from Joel Kinnaman to Anthony Mackie. Whereas the first season operated in the style of a futurist film noir, the second season offers a much larger and more consciously epic story, with Kovacs embarking on a journey back to reconnect with his lost love (and rebel leader) Quellcrist Falconer (Rene Elise Goldsberry).
Altered Carbon doesnt reinvent the wheel, but it doesnt have to. At its core, the show is an affectionate celebration of the tropes and conventions of these sorts of pulpy science fiction adventures, with Netflix affording the series a scale with which few television series can compete. As befits its premise, it spins an old genre back up again for another go-round.
The first and second seasons of Altered Carbon are now streaming on Netflix.
- Liberated is a cyberpunk noir that takes place within the pages of a digital comic book - PC Gamer - March 25th, 2020
- PS5: 5 Games we're playing on the PlayStation 5 God of War 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Horizon Zero Dawn 2 & more - RealSport - RealSport - March 25th, 2020
- Killing Floor 2 goes Cyberpunk in its Neon Nightmares update - Blast Away the Game Review - March 25th, 2020
- CD Projekt Red Goes Behind The Music Of Cyberpunk 2077 - CGMagazine - March 25th, 2020
- 10 Cyberpunk Sci-Fi Books Too Twisted To Be Made Into Films - Screen Rant - March 19th, 2020
- The best series of genre Cyberpunk, Drama and Action Adventure that is Altered Carbon has been released. - Insta Chronicles - March 19th, 2020
- Happy Birthday William Gibson: Interesting facts about the pioneer of cyberpunk in fiction - Hindustan Times - March 19th, 2020
- Cyberpunk, Final Fantasy 7 or Last of Us 2: What is the BIGGEST game of the year? - Express - March 19th, 2020
- Xbox Series X Could Offer The Definitive Version Of Cyberpunk 2077, And Here's Why - Pure Xbox - March 19th, 2020
- 'Altered Carbon: Resleeved' Review: Breezy, bloody and raunchy, the anime is a visual treat for cyberpunk fans - MEAWW - March 19th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 is at rating agencies around the world - GamesRadar+ AU - March 16th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 : Pre-Orders Reopen For Backpack, This Is What It Will Cost You - Trending News Buzz - March 16th, 2020
- Xbox Series X Could Offer The Definitive Version Of Cyberpunk 2077 This Year, And Here's Why - Pure Xbox - March 16th, 2020
- New Cyberpunk 2077 info, meet the Tyger Claws - VG247 - March 7th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 map is based on the board games new version - VG247 - March 7th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077: Tyger Claws Gang To Be Featured In The Game - Trending News Buzz - March 7th, 2020
- Everspace 2 Early Access Release Delayed to Avoid Competition With Cyberpunk 2077 and Outriders - GamingBolt - March 7th, 2020
- Minecraft 2.05 PS4 Update Patch Notes and Gamer Creates CyberPunk Inspired World is Amazing! - Tech Times - March 7th, 2020
- Altered Carbon's Stars on Love and Getting a Happy Ending in Cyberpunk - Gizmodo - March 7th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 will be on Geforce Now at launch - Thumbsticks - February 24th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Wiki - February 24th, 2020
- Aeon Drive is a new cyberpunk platformer coming in 2020 ! The latest project from 2Awesome Studio !! - Gizmo Posts 24 - February 24th, 2020
- Cyberpunk Recreation Ruiner Coming to Nintendo Swap - BingePost - February 24th, 2020
- Disjunction is a Cyberpunk Stealth RPG Coming to PS4 This Summer - Pure PlayStation - February 24th, 2020
- Cyberpunk literature class looks at heavy subjects through the lense of science fiction - Troy Tropolitan - February 24th, 2020
- Ruin: the cyberpunk twin-stick shooter is on Switch - The Miracle Tech - February 24th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 dev says Cory Barlog's frank delay explanation "hit the nail on the head" - GamesRadar - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 will show "previously undisclosed content" next week and this could be a teaser for it - GamesRadar - January 30th, 2020
- Why has Cyberpunk 2077 been delayed and what is the new release date? - Metro.co.uk - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Adds Developer QLOC to Team, Will Support in Development and QA - DualShockers - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberpunk 2077 Previously Undisclosed Content to be Shown This Week at Taipei Game Show - Wccftech - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberpunk dungeon crawler Conglomerate 451 to leave Early Access this February - Flickering Myth - January 30th, 2020
- 10 Cyberpunk Games to Play While You Cope With the Cyberpunk 2077 Delay - Twinfinite - January 30th, 2020
- We Went Inside The Cyberpunk 2077/The Witcher Game Studio And It Did Not Disappoint - Press Start Australia - January 30th, 2020
- Satiate Your Cyberpunk 2077 Hype With 7th Sector, Coming February 5th - Pure PlayStation - January 30th, 2020
- Fans might need to wait a little longer for Cyberpunk 2077. Will the delay be worth it?? - Gizmo Posts 24 - January 30th, 2020
- The Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk, and More Confirmed for Taipei Game Show - GameRant - January 30th, 2020
- Lazr is a cyberpunk platformer with a free demo and a thing for cloth physics - PC Gamer - January 30th, 2020
- 7th Sector Review: Cyberpunk Puzzler Makes You Think Outside The Box - Screen Rant - January 30th, 2020
- In 2020, I Have To Be Nervous About Cyberpunk 2077 - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Does Cyberpunk 2077 hold true to the cyberpunk genre? - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- The 10 best cyberpunk games on PC - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- Last of Us 2, Final Fantasy 7, Cyberpunk 2077, Ghost of Tsushima: 2020 will be AMAZING - Express - January 5th, 2020
- A guide to Cyberpunk Red, the latest edition of the tabletop game - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- Great concept art that celebrates the cyberpunk aesthetic - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- Adventures of a Gamer Girl: Game play next year and last - Lynchburg News and Advance - January 5th, 2020
- Sideshow Announces More Exclusive The Witcher And CyberPunk 2077 Merchandise Coming Soon - Happy Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- 20 Games to Look Forward to in 2020 - Attack of the Fanboy - January 5th, 2020
- EF Games' Carl Jones reveals his most anticipated games of 2020 - Entertainment Focus - January 5th, 2020
- The Notable Video Games Of 2020 - Dark Horizons - January 5th, 2020
- The history of cyberpunk on PC - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- McFarlane Toys is creating Cyberpunk 2077 toys - Polygon - December 27th, 2019
- Best games to play in 2020: Half-Life Alyx, Cyberpunk 2077 and more - The Week UK - December 27th, 2019
- Best Cyberpunk Movies, from The Matrix to Ghost in the Shell - Collider.com - December 27th, 2019
- Beautiful visuals abound in cyberpunk action game Evolutis - PC Gamer - December 27th, 2019
- Evolutis is A Stunning Anime Cyberpunk Game Coming in 2020 - GameSpace.com - December 27th, 2019
- Top 5 Games to Be Excited About in 2020 - Gamepur - December 27th, 2019
- Infamy is a digital version of the cyberpunk mafia board game that's heading into closed beta in January - Pocket Gamer - December 18th, 2019
- Could Cyberpunk 2077 Really Come to Xbox Game Pass in 2020? - CCN.com - December 18th, 2019
- A$AP Rocky, Grimes & Run the Jewels to Soundtrack Cyberpunk 2077 - HYPEBEAST - December 18th, 2019
- 'Cyberpunk 2077' Soundtrack To Include A$AP Rocky, Grimes, & Run The Jewels - Boss Hunting - December 18th, 2019
- Turkeys new machine gun drones are proof that we live in a cyberpunk dystopia - Digital Trends - December 18th, 2019
- Lost Blade Runner Adventure Game Is Now Available On GOG - GameSpot - December 18th, 2019
- Go read this New Yorker profile of William Gibson, the father of cyberpunk - The Verge - December 15th, 2019
- This new Xbox Game Pass ad features Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Cyberpunk 2077, and Ghost Recon: Breakpoint... lol? - NAG - December 15th, 2019
- Corepunk MMORPG Combines Cyberpunk, Diablo, And World Of Warcraft Together - One Angry Gamer - December 15th, 2019
- Bits, Bytes And Bugs! | CyberPunk'd - CNA - December 15th, 2019
- Cyberpunk 2077s soundtrack features Grimes, Run the Jewels, and more - The Verge - December 13th, 2019
- Everything We Know About Cyberpunk 2077 | TheGamer - TheGamer - December 13th, 2019
- CD Projekt Red Is Auctioning Off a Limited-Edition Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One X - Comicbook.com - December 13th, 2019
- Cyberpunk 2077 Will Let You Burn the City Down With Keanu Reeves - Comicbook.com - December 2nd, 2019
- Cyberpunk 2077 Promises State of the Art NSFW Scenes - Comicbook.com - December 2nd, 2019
- Cyberpunk 2077 Will Have Motion Capture Sex Scenes - Don't Feed the Gamers - December 2nd, 2019
- CD Projekt Red: Cyberpunk 2077 Main Story Will Be Shorter Than The Witcher 3 - Lowyat.NET - December 2nd, 2019
- Cyberpunk 2077 might feature Elon Musk's dumb truck - PC Gamer - November 25th, 2019
- Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer monetisation is still being explored - PC Gamer - November 25th, 2019
- Random: The Cybertruck Was Made for Cyberpunk 2077, and Elon Musk Knows It - Push Square - November 25th, 2019
- Developer of Cyberpunk RPG Gamedec Highlights the Game's Main City in New Video - Only Single Player - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla Cybertruck: The Cyberpunk Lookbook That Inspired Its Styling (Probably) - Automobile - Automobile - November 25th, 2019
- Cyberpunk 2077 Has Lots of Ways to Go Up and Down, as CDPR Really Took Advantage of Verticality - Wccftech - September 27th, 2019