Several regulators in the U.S. and Europe have made cryptocurrency among their top priorities this year. The Securities and Exchange Commissions compliance office and the European Securities and Markets Authority, in collaboration with other regulators, have outlined their plans to focus on crypto oversight. Further, Chinas central bank has made digital currency a priority.
Also read: Regs Roundup: SEC Actions, Crypto Tax-Free in Korea, New Chinese Laws
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)s Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE) announced its 2020 priorities on Tuesday. The office conducts the SECs national exam program, with a mission to protect investors, ensure market integrity, and support responsible capital formation. The exam results are used by the Commission to inform rule-making initiatives, identify and monitor risks, improve industry practices and pursue misconduct.
The OCIE stated that advancements in financial technologies, including digital assets, warrant ongoing attention and review. Noting that The digital assets market has grown rapidly and presents various risks, including for retail investors who may not adequately understand the differences between these assets and more traditional products, the document confirms:
OCIE also will continue to identify and examine SEC-registered firms engaged in the digital asset space.
The examinations will assess six key areas: investment suitability, portfolio management and trading practices, safety of client funds and assets, pricing and valuation, effectiveness of compliance programs and controls, and supervision of employees outside of business activities.
The OCIE oversight also covers robo-advisors, which are registered investment advisors that provide services to clients through automated investment tools and platforms. The compliance office will also focus examinations on the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), its operations, regulatory programs, and the quality of FINRAs examinations of broker-dealers and municipal advisors. FINRA has approved several crypto investments. In October, it approved shares of Grayscale Digital Large Cap Fund for public quotation.
Over in Europe, the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) released its Strategic Orientation 2020-22 on Thursday, highlighting its priorities for the year. Located in Paris, ESMA is a European Union financial regulatory agency and European Supervisory Authority.
According to the document, ESMA requires the EU market participants to acknowledge the risks that may stem from digitalization by ensuring business continuity and the use of adequate and up-to-date technology, as well as adequate protection against cyberthreats, and through proper data protection and data quality management. The regulator described:
The dangers of cyberthreats to the financial system as a whole and a sound legal framework for crypto assets are increasingly becoming areas of focus for ESMA together with the other European Supervisory Authorities, the European Systemic Risk Board, the European Central Bank and the European Commission.
Emphasizing that fintech can contribute to well-functioning financial markets and investor protection, ESMA says it will therefore actively examine the new opportunities technology might bring especially for investor protection and share expertise and know-how with national authorities. The regulator will collaborate with national regulators to achieve its goals.
In Asia, the Peoples Bank of China (PBOC) announced its seven key policy priorities for 2020 on Jan. 5, following an annual conference it held last week in Beijing.
Chinas central bank will strengthen research and development and application of financial technology, the announcement details. The PBOC specifically stated that it will continue to steadily advance research and development of a legal digital currency.
While cracking down on crypto and initial coin offering activities in the country, the PBOC has been working on issuing its own digital yuan. Local media reported on Friday that the bank has completed the digital currencys top-level design and preliminary testing.
What do you think of the U.S. and European regulators making cryptocurrency a priority this year? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not an offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation, endorsement, or sponsorship of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
Images courtesy of Shutterstock, SEC, ESMA, and PBOC.
Did you know you can buy and sell BCH privately using our noncustodial, peer-to-peer Local Bitcoin Cash trading platform? The local.Bitcoin.com marketplace has thousands of participants from all around the world trading BCH right now. And if you need a bitcoin wallet to securely store your coins, you can download one from us here.
A student of Austrian Economics, Kevin found Bitcoin in 2011 and has been an evangelist ever since. His interests lie in Bitcoin security, open-source systems, network effects and the intersection between economics and cryptography.
- Bitcoin Price Climbs to $9,500 After Third Higher High in One Week - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Aint What It Used To Be, Pioneer Investor Says - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Why Tomorrows Monthly Close In Bitcoin Could Be Its Most Critical Yet - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- This is the right amount of bitcoin to keep in an investment portfolio - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Still Too Early To Declare Longer-Term Bitcoin Trend Change - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies to Near $9150 as Stocks Drop Over Coronavirus Fears - Coindesk - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Eyes Best January Close in 7 Years After 30% Price Increase - Coindesk - January 30th, 2020
- Do or Die For Bitcoin Bears: Its The Most Critical Period For BTC - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Exchange LocalBitcoins - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator That Called 2019 Bull Run Flashes Green Again - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Different Type of Shakeout Trader Says Bitcoin Unlikely to Hit $6K - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Above $9K Today - Bitcoinist - January 30th, 2020
- Yang in the Oval Office Is Bitcoins Only Chance of Reaching Critical Mass - CCN.com - January 30th, 2020
- This Bitcoin Competitor Pumped 272% And a Self-Proclaimed Inventor of BTC Says He Knows Why - The Daily Hodl - January 30th, 2020
- No Virus Woes for Bitcoin as It Climbs to Highest Since November - Bloomberg - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Risk-Return a Different Beast Compared to Amazon: Analyst - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- A Massive 500 Bitcoin Sell Order Hits Binance For First Time in a While, Heres What It Means - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoins 15% Weekly Gain Could Send Ethereum Flying: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Nothing Special Bitcoin Slumps 6% on Coronavirus, Chinese New Year - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- BitMEX Open Interest Hitting $1B Could Be Bullish for Bitcoin This Time - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Fades: What's Next? - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Elon Musk Reveals His True Opinion on Bitcoin and Crypto - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Crypto Price Analysis & Overview January 30th: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Monero, and IOTA. - CryptoPotato - January 30th, 2020
- The Invisible Global Currency Thats 24 Times Bigger Than Bitcoin - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst Expects Altcoins to Suffer With Launch of Bitcoin Options: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- Dash Surges by Over 16% as Bitcoin Price Hovers at $8,100 - Cointelegraph - January 13th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Will Be Golden in 2020 Thanks to Limited Supply, Increasing Use: Bloomberg Report - CoinDesk - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rockets Over $8,000 As Ripples XRP, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, And Litecoin Suddenly Soar [Updated] - Forbes - January 13th, 2020
- Bitfinex Premium Goes Negative; Last Time it Did, Bitcoin Fell 30% in 3 Months - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC/USD struggles to sustain the $8,100 level - FXStreet - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst: Bitcoin to Target $9,500 Due to A Few Key Factors - Ethereum World News - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Primed For Fresh Rally And Only 1 Thing Is Holding It Back - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- 60% of Bitcoins havent moved for more than a year - Yahoo Finance - January 13th, 2020
- Libra Association Exec: World Needs Us Because Bitcoin Is 'Not a Means of Payment' - CoinDesk - January 13th, 2020
- Ethereum could be undervalued compared to Bitcoin: analyst - AMBCrypto - January 13th, 2020
- New Bitcoin Addresses Averaged At 124 Million Since 2017: Data - Bitcoinist - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Could Take Centre Stage at the 2020 NBA All Star Game, With Your Help - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin And Everything It Has Done For The World So Far - CryptoPotato - January 13th, 2020
- What good is Bitcoin if the Internet fails? - Decrypt - January 13th, 2020
- Forget gold and Bitcoin! I'd invest regularly in FTSE 100 shares in an ISA to make a million - Yahoo Finance UK - January 13th, 2020
- Independent Report Declares News.Bitcoin.com the Top Crypto News Site - Bitcoin News - January 13th, 2020
- Why Proof of Reserves Is Important to Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoins transaction fee 426x more than Litecoin in 2019 - AMBCrypto - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Rise Above $20,000 In 2020, Says Bitpays Singh - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- Why The Bitcoin Price Could Hit $50,000 In 2020 - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- No, Bitcoin Isnt Going For Anywhere Near $24,000 In IranHeres Why - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is In Steep Downtrend, But This Variable Can Trigger A New Rally - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Got Rejected at $8,400, And It Means a Big Fall Ahead - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Ransomwares Year-End Thank You Note To Bitcoin - Law360 - January 10th, 2020
- Why Proof of Reserves Is Important to Bitcoin - Nasdaq - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Accepted: This Rapper Welcomes BTC Payments and HODLs - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bull Run: 3 Reasons Why BTC Will Continue to Surge - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Flashes Signs of Starting a Massive Bull Run, But One Key Hurdle Remains - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Can digital gold Bitcoin ever be mined in India? - ETCIO.com - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Starts Corrective Decrease But Bulls Not Out Of Woods Yet - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Federal Reserve Have One Thing in Common, According to CNBC's Guy Adami - U.Today - January 10th, 2020
- The Recipe that Causes Bitcoin to Rise: Economic and Geopolitical Uncertainty - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Compared to Tesla (TSLA) by Prominent Investor. Elon Musk Won't Like It - U.Today - January 10th, 2020
- Heres What Must Happen for $9K Bitcoin Price in the Coming Months - Cointelegraph - January 10th, 2020
- These Factors Signal that Bitcoin is Just Taking a Breather Before Another Rally - Ethereum World News - January 10th, 2020
- Why Analysts Think Bitcoins Surge to $7,450 is Just the Beginning - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- New crisis in the Middle East: Good for bitcoin, bad for the world - Decrypt - January 10th, 2020
- How Dropgangs and Dead Drops Are Transforming Darknet Practices - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2020
- This Company Sets Out to Prove Crypto Mining Has a Place in Your Home - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin price | index, chart and news | WorldCoinIndex - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Today Live Bitcoin Value - Charts & Market ... - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Live, Bitcoin Chart , BTC Value Today, BTC ... - January 5th, 2020
- 2020 predictions for bitcoin, Libra, and the digital yuan - Quartz - January 5th, 2020
- U.S. Assassination Of A Major Iranian Official Poses An Unprecedented Test Of Bitcoins Role As A Safe Haven Asset - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin is on the Cusp of a Major Price Movement - Crypto Briefing - January 5th, 2020
- Happy Birthday Bitcoin! Here's a Look at Bitcoin's 11th Year by the Numbers - Bitcoin Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Could Rally to $9K Before a Massive Collapse, Heres Why - Cointelegraph - January 5th, 2020
- Why 2020 will be the best year yet for Bitcoins Lightning Network - Decrypt - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Reversed And Its Likely Heading $7,400 - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020