To the surprise of many, bitcoin (BTC) has been a breakout star in Ethereums decentralized finance (DeFi) moment. Taking the form of wrapped or tokenized bitcoin, the digital asset takes the best of both blockchains bitcoins price value and brand along with Ethereums programmability into one highly in-demand token.
Last week alone, the supply of BitGos wrapped bitcoins (WBTC) topped 76,000 after setting an all-time record of nearly 21,000 wrapped bitcoins minted within one week.
The week before held the previous record of over 12,200 tokens minted in a single week, according to Dune Analytics.
Overall, investors have made tokenized bitcoin one of the largest assets on DeFi with nearly 107,000 BTC worth some $1.1 billion minted from seven issuers, mostly lured in by high rates of return on lending when compared to other options such as BlockFi.
Why use tokenized bitcoin?
What bitcoin on Ethereum does is simple: It provides liquidity for growing decentralized exchanges (DEX), such as Uniswap. Bitcoins current market cap is five times larger than the second largest cryptocurrency, ether (ETH), according to The CoinDesk 20. That money can be put to use making more money.
Tokenized bitcoin allows investors to bring large amounts of value over to the Ethereum network and its young DEX market in a few clicks.
DeFi is considered vastly immature when compared to traditional or centralized exchange (CEX) markets. This can be seen in the large price spreads between orders on exchange books between different DeFi markets.
Price differences on markets can be exploited by traders in what is called arbitrage opportunities.
Wrapped bitcoin is often the asset of choice for investors seeking arbitrage. Bitcoin packs a large punch in terms of price value. More money on DeFi trading platforms makes the markets themselves stronger as additional buying and selling options are presented.
But tokenizing bitcoin isnt without risks, particularly software risk. Investors who want exposure to bitcoins liquidity pay higher interest rates to cover the risk of losing an asset in addition to getting exposure to the first cryptocurrencies liquidity.
How this works in practice has taken on a few different forms.
Security of bitcoin investments
Different tokenizing models represent different security assumptions for investor funds.
For tokenized bitcoin, security boils down to the type of custodianship and if the investment is collateralized. Three major models exist: a centralized firm like BitGo; a smart contract system with collateral, such as tBTC; or a complete, synthetic-asset backing employed by sBTC.
Tokenized bitcoin by issuer (Dune Analytics)
BitGos Wrapped Bitcoin (WBTC) is the breakout star of the last few months with some $808.5 million in circulation, according to Etherscan.
Its centralized, meaning deposited bitcoin is held by BitGo. Parties wanting WBTC give BTC to BitGo and then receive an ERC-20 token-equivalent of BTC in return. That ERC-20 can then be sold on secondary markets or plugged into a DeFi application to earn yield.
Keep Networks tBTC, which launched Tuesday, is similar to WBTC but replaces the centralized BitGo model with a network of nodes, wallets and smart contracts. This network aims at bringing more decentralization to BitGos process by allowing both parties the bitcoin depositor and custodian to interact trustlessly through software.
A few features make this possible, such as the bitcoin depositors being able to choose who holds their bitcoin and a 150% security bond (held in ETH) pledged by the custodians on the off-chance they run to the hills with the deposits.
Rens rBTC that makes up about 20% of all wrapped bitcoin in the wild, according to Dune Analytics. It works in a similar manner to tBTCs node network by having the Ren Virtual Machine, RenVM, act as a trustless agent between the Bitcoin and Ethereum blockchains.
Lastly, sBTC is an ERC-20 version of bitcoin. But this time its backed by another token, the Synthetix Network Token (SNX). Each sBTC is not backed by BTC, but 800% of a BTCs value in SNX, the token for minting synthetic assets (Syns) on the Synthetix DEX.
An example of how wrapped bitcoin works
Take a recent transaction from Alameda Research (sister firm of the trading platform FTX).
FTX allows users to swap between BTC and WBTC. When users swap bitcoin for wrapped bitcoin, FTX pulls from Alamedas pool of BTC/WBTC. Users may send BTC to FTX (Alameda) and receive WBTC. When Alamedas pool of WBTC is exhausted, they replenish it directly with BitGo.
Alameda is a merchant and part of the WBTC decentralized autonomous organization (DAO), meaning it can initiate mints for new WBTC using BTC. They send BTC to BitGo and create a minting request on the Ethereum chain as a merchant.
BitGo validates the BTC has been deposited to a preminted address and approves a mint of the number of WBTC equal to Alamedas request. The WBTC can then be used on FTX or swapped with another token atomically (meaning via a peer-to-peer exchange) or even within a DeFi market.
To redeem, the process is reversed: The buyer will send the WBTC back to the merchant who will then provably burn the tokens.
The future of tokenized assets
The wild success of BitGos WBTC and WETH (wrapped ether) may lead to more constructions of other coin holdings. Ben Chan, CTO at WBTC co-creator BitGo, told Coindesk in August that the firm was looking at wrapping other cryptocurrencies.
WBTCs 2020 success has largely been thanks to DeFi, he said.
What weve seen this year is that WBTC traction has been largely thanks to the highly composable DeFi industry, Chan said.
Zack Voell contributed reporting.
- Bitcoin Reached A 7-Week Low TodayHere's What Traders Should Know - Forbes - November 29th, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin, according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin bear market: These are the 5 best performing cryptocurrencies - Markets Insider - November 29th, 2021
- Hedge Fund Manager Anthony Scaramucci Compares Bitcoin to Amazon in the Year 2000, Predicts Strong Q1 for BTC - The Daily Hodl - November 29th, 2021
- Thailand Plans to Become 'Crypto-Positive Society' Governor Says 'Crypto Is the Future' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- Forget Ether! Solana will Emerge as a Big 'Bitcoin Killer' in 2022 - Analytics Insight - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Biases: Agnotology, The Making And Unmaking Of Ignorance - Bitcoin Magazine - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin Or Ethereum? Which Blockchain Is Heavier? BitMEX Research Reports - Bitcoinist - November 29th, 2021
- Sneaker Giant Adidas Says the Metaverse Is 'Exciting,' Reveals Partnership With Coinbase Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- $BTC: ARK Invest CEO Explains Why Institutional Investors Are Getting Into Bitcoin - CryptoGlobe - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin miners and oil and gas execs mingled at a secretive meetup in Houston here's what they talked about - CNBC - September 5th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin Losing Its Position As The Crypto Market's Leader? - Forbes - September 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin Trades Above $50000 as Cryptos Gain Steam. What's Behind the Rally. - Barron's - September 5th, 2021
- As Global Inflation Heats Up, Bitcoin Saves The Day - Bitcoin Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin-Related And Ethereum-Related Stocks Are Rising - Yahoo Finance - September 5th, 2021
- The IRS Goes Undercover As A Bitcoin Trader In $180,000 Sting - Forbes - September 5th, 2021
- Will PayPals adoption of bitcoin make cryptocurrency more mainstream? - New Scientist News - September 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin May Hit $100,000-Mark By End Of 2021 With Current Bull Run: Experts - NDTV Profit - September 5th, 2021
- Twitter reportedly working on Bitcoin tipping feature - Cointelegraph - September 5th, 2021
- The Transition Between Fiat And Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Vitalik Buterin Has Suggestions for Dogecoin and Doge's Cooperation With Ethereum Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2021
- Mastermind of Zimbabwean Bitcoin Pyramid Scheme Vanishes With $6 Million Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2021
- From $250 Billion to $2.35 Trillion: A Look at the Top Ten Crypto Market Cap Shifts Over 2 Years Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2021
- Yes, bitcoin could be the new GameStop - CNBC - February 1st, 2021
- Silver Is the New GameStop as Musk's #Bitcoin Stalls - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 1st, 2021
- Behind the Bitcoin Bubble - The Wall Street Journal - February 1st, 2021
- This investor in both gold and bitcoin says only one offers real long-term safety - MarketWatch - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin White Paper - Miami - City of Miami - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin and Inflation: Everything You Need to Know - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 1st, 2021
- What the crypto bill means for bitcoin investors - Mint - February 1st, 2021
- r/WallStreetBets Shows Bitcoin's In The Game - Bitcoin Magazine - February 1st, 2021
- Elon Musk talks Mars, monkey brain implants and Bitcoin in Clubhouse interview - CNET - February 1st, 2021
- Laying out the biggest risks of investing in bitcoin in 2021 - KTAR.com - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin miners raked in more than $1 billion in revenue last month - TechRadar - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin Rally Attracts Wave Of Private Investment As Leading Blockchain VC Raises New $120 Million Fund - Forbes - December 26th, 2020
- Bitcoins Rally Has Already Outlasted 2017s Epic Run - The Wall Street Journal - December 26th, 2020
- Here's Why I Won't Buy Bitcoin, and You Shouldn't, Either - Motley Fool - December 26th, 2020
- The price of bitcoin is 'driven by manipulation': Nouriel Roubini - Yahoo Finance - December 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin To 27K Projection? - Yahoo Finance - December 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin And Crypto Trading Tips From Poker World Champion Annie Duke - Forbes - December 26th, 2020
- Mark Zuckerberg has another answer to Bitcoin - The Japan Times - December 26th, 2020
- An Unknown User Incurs More Than $80,000 in Transaction Fees When Sending BTC Worth $1 | Blockchain - Bitcoin News - December 26th, 2020
- 3 reasons why traders turned bullish after Bitcoin price surged to $10.7K - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoins Hit Exchanges as Bloomberg Touts Crypto and DeFi Hedge Fund Seeks $50M - CoinDesk - September 25th, 2020
- BitGo Is Bringing DeFi-Friendly Wrapped Bitcoin to the Tron Blockchain - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 25th, 2020
- Keiser Insists 'Bitcoin Inversely Correlated To USD Not Stock Markets' After Crypto Market Tumble | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Profit taking Bitcoin miners wont stop the next bull run: On-chain analyst - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- The Winklevosses have launched their bitcoin exchange in the UK - Wired.co.uk - September 25th, 2020
- Christies to sell its first non-fungible-token as part of epic Bitcoin artwork - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin-related ads are now streaming on Disney+ in some regions thanks to Zebpay - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency ETF by Nasdaq and Hashdex Approved to List on Bermuda Stock Exchange | Regulation - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- XSwap Started Yield Farming, The Highest APY Reaches 70,000% | Press release - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin sentiment at record lows Does it mean the price will go up? - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Its a bull trap! 3 key metrics forecast Bitcoin price rejection at $11K - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Bit Digital, Inc. Announced Officially to Cooperate with the World's Leading Bitcoin Colocation Partner In US - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Correlations Drive the Narrative - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin hardware devices need to improve to handle complex transactions - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoin Investors the Sane Ones as Federal Reserve Cheers Inflation, Price Nears $11K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Why We Get Obsessed With Bitcoin - Decrypt - September 18th, 2020
- Tevoro.com Announces New Book Revealing What's Missing from Bitcoin, Ethereum and Other Cryptocurrencies - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Bank of England talks negative interest rates in best ad for Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Fed, oil and record hash rate: 5 things to know in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Glen Oaks Escrow Announces It Assisted With Yet Another Bitcoin Transaction - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- India's Crypto Bill Omitted From Parliament Agenda While New Ban Report Appears - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000 Its All OverHeres Why - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Private Capital And Institutions Are Piling Into Bitcoin And Other Digital Assets But You Need To Know Where To Look - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Down Almost 10% Today, You'll Be Surprised to Hear What's Next - FX Empire - September 5th, 2020
- So Far, a Nice Rise But Not a Wild Runup for Bitcoin Since the May Halving Event - Digital Transactions - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 5th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 5th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020