To the surprise of many, bitcoin (BTC) has been a breakout star in Ethereums decentralized finance (DeFi) moment. Taking the form of wrapped or tokenized bitcoin, the digital asset takes the best of both blockchains bitcoins price value and brand along with Ethereums programmability into one highly in-demand token.
Last week alone, the supply of BitGos wrapped bitcoins (WBTC) topped 76,000 after setting an all-time record of nearly 21,000 wrapped bitcoins minted within one week.
The week before held the previous record of over 12,200 tokens minted in a single week, according to Dune Analytics.
Overall, investors have made tokenized bitcoin one of the largest assets on DeFi with nearly 107,000 BTC worth some $1.1 billion minted from seven issuers, mostly lured in by high rates of return on lending when compared to other options such as BlockFi.
Why use tokenized bitcoin?
What bitcoin on Ethereum does is simple: It provides liquidity for growing decentralized exchanges (DEX), such as Uniswap. Bitcoins current market cap is five times larger than the second largest cryptocurrency, ether (ETH), according to The CoinDesk 20. That money can be put to use making more money.
Tokenized bitcoin allows investors to bring large amounts of value over to the Ethereum network and its young DEX market in a few clicks.
DeFi is considered vastly immature when compared to traditional or centralized exchange (CEX) markets. This can be seen in the large price spreads between orders on exchange books between different DeFi markets.
Price differences on markets can be exploited by traders in what is called arbitrage opportunities.
Wrapped bitcoin is often the asset of choice for investors seeking arbitrage. Bitcoin packs a large punch in terms of price value. More money on DeFi trading platforms makes the markets themselves stronger as additional buying and selling options are presented.
But tokenizing bitcoin isnt without risks, particularly software risk. Investors who want exposure to bitcoins liquidity pay higher interest rates to cover the risk of losing an asset in addition to getting exposure to the first cryptocurrencies liquidity.
How this works in practice has taken on a few different forms.
Security of bitcoin investments
Different tokenizing models represent different security assumptions for investor funds.
For tokenized bitcoin, security boils down to the type of custodianship and if the investment is collateralized. Three major models exist: a centralized firm like BitGo; a smart contract system with collateral, such as tBTC; or a complete, synthetic-asset backing employed by sBTC.
Tokenized bitcoin by issuer (Dune Analytics)
BitGos Wrapped Bitcoin (WBTC) is the breakout star of the last few months with some $808.5 million in circulation, according to Etherscan.
Its centralized, meaning deposited bitcoin is held by BitGo. Parties wanting WBTC give BTC to BitGo and then receive an ERC-20 token-equivalent of BTC in return. That ERC-20 can then be sold on secondary markets or plugged into a DeFi application to earn yield.
Keep Networks tBTC, which launched Tuesday, is similar to WBTC but replaces the centralized BitGo model with a network of nodes, wallets and smart contracts. This network aims at bringing more decentralization to BitGos process by allowing both parties the bitcoin depositor and custodian to interact trustlessly through software.
A few features make this possible, such as the bitcoin depositors being able to choose who holds their bitcoin and a 150% security bond (held in ETH) pledged by the custodians on the off-chance they run to the hills with the deposits.
Rens rBTC that makes up about 20% of all wrapped bitcoin in the wild, according to Dune Analytics. It works in a similar manner to tBTCs node network by having the Ren Virtual Machine, RenVM, act as a trustless agent between the Bitcoin and Ethereum blockchains.
Lastly, sBTC is an ERC-20 version of bitcoin. But this time its backed by another token, the Synthetix Network Token (SNX). Each sBTC is not backed by BTC, but 800% of a BTCs value in SNX, the token for minting synthetic assets (Syns) on the Synthetix DEX.
An example of how wrapped bitcoin works
Take a recent transaction from Alameda Research (sister firm of the trading platform FTX).
FTX allows users to swap between BTC and WBTC. When users swap bitcoin for wrapped bitcoin, FTX pulls from Alamedas pool of BTC/WBTC. Users may send BTC to FTX (Alameda) and receive WBTC. When Alamedas pool of WBTC is exhausted, they replenish it directly with BitGo.
Alameda is a merchant and part of the WBTC decentralized autonomous organization (DAO), meaning it can initiate mints for new WBTC using BTC. They send BTC to BitGo and create a minting request on the Ethereum chain as a merchant.
BitGo validates the BTC has been deposited to a preminted address and approves a mint of the number of WBTC equal to Alamedas request. The WBTC can then be used on FTX or swapped with another token atomically (meaning via a peer-to-peer exchange) or even within a DeFi market.
To redeem, the process is reversed: The buyer will send the WBTC back to the merchant who will then provably burn the tokens.
The future of tokenized assets
The wild success of BitGos WBTC and WETH (wrapped ether) may lead to more constructions of other coin holdings. Ben Chan, CTO at WBTC co-creator BitGo, told Coindesk in August that the firm was looking at wrapping other cryptocurrencies.
WBTCs 2020 success has largely been thanks to DeFi, he said.
What weve seen this year is that WBTC traction has been largely thanks to the highly composable DeFi industry, Chan said.
Zack Voell contributed reporting.
- 3 reasons why traders turned bullish after Bitcoin price surged to $10.7K - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoins Hit Exchanges as Bloomberg Touts Crypto and DeFi Hedge Fund Seeks $50M - CoinDesk - September 25th, 2020
- BitGo Is Bringing DeFi-Friendly Wrapped Bitcoin to the Tron Blockchain - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 25th, 2020
- Keiser Insists 'Bitcoin Inversely Correlated To USD Not Stock Markets' After Crypto Market Tumble | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Profit taking Bitcoin miners wont stop the next bull run: On-chain analyst - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- The Winklevosses have launched their bitcoin exchange in the UK - Wired.co.uk - September 25th, 2020
- Christies to sell its first non-fungible-token as part of epic Bitcoin artwork - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin-related ads are now streaming on Disney+ in some regions thanks to Zebpay - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency ETF by Nasdaq and Hashdex Approved to List on Bermuda Stock Exchange | Regulation - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- XSwap Started Yield Farming, The Highest APY Reaches 70,000% | Press release - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin sentiment at record lows Does it mean the price will go up? - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Its a bull trap! 3 key metrics forecast Bitcoin price rejection at $11K - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Bit Digital, Inc. Announced Officially to Cooperate with the World's Leading Bitcoin Colocation Partner In US - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Correlations Drive the Narrative - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin hardware devices need to improve to handle complex transactions - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoin Investors the Sane Ones as Federal Reserve Cheers Inflation, Price Nears $11K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Why We Get Obsessed With Bitcoin - Decrypt - September 18th, 2020
- Tevoro.com Announces New Book Revealing What's Missing from Bitcoin, Ethereum and Other Cryptocurrencies - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Bank of England talks negative interest rates in best ad for Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Fed, oil and record hash rate: 5 things to know in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Glen Oaks Escrow Announces It Assisted With Yet Another Bitcoin Transaction - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- India's Crypto Bill Omitted From Parliament Agenda While New Ban Report Appears - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000 Its All OverHeres Why - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Private Capital And Institutions Are Piling Into Bitcoin And Other Digital Assets But You Need To Know Where To Look - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Down Almost 10% Today, You'll Be Surprised to Hear What's Next - FX Empire - September 5th, 2020
- So Far, a Nice Rise But Not a Wild Runup for Bitcoin Since the May Halving Event - Digital Transactions - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 5th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 5th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Research: New Malware Employs Tor and Bittorrent To Steal Bitcoin and Ether | Security - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Dump If Stocks Have Another COVID-19-Scale Crash? - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk Confirms Serious Russian Bitcoin Ransomware Attack On Tesla, Foiled By The FBI - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists announced to compete for USD $100,000 - PRNewswire - September 5th, 2020
- Max Keiser thinks Warren Buffett will move to Bitcoin soon - Cointelegraph - September 5th, 2020
- Major Swiss Insurer Adds Bitcoin and Ether Payments | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Shifts Funds From US Amid Inflation Fears, Bitcoin's New All-Time High Expected | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- No interim injunction over bitcoin account where damages would be adequate - Lexology - September 5th, 2020
- Venezuela's Bitcoin Use Soars Amid Hyperinflation: 3rd on Global Crypto Adoption Index | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin market index back to fear on 91st anniversary of 1929 crash - Cointelegraph - September 4th, 2020
- China Is No Threat To Bitcoin, Promises Foundry CEO After $100 Million Bitcoin Mining Bet - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- 3.5 Million+ Crypto Wallets Downloaded in July, Active Users up 110% in the Year | Wallets - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Here Are The Key Levels To Watch In Bitcoin - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Eating Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Fails After Breaking Through $12,000 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Fidelity Is A 1,000 Pound Bitcoin Gorilla In The Making - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin About to Explode? - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia Blocks Cryptocurrency Websites Ahead of Regulation | News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- USD has more room to fall 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - August 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin In The Early Stages Of A Bull Market, Crypto Wallet Data Reveals - Forbes - August 31st, 2020
- Federal Reserve's Major Policy Shift to 'Push Up Inflation' Could Send Bitcoin Price to $500K - Bitcoin News - August 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin balks as the Fed talks, DeFi surge continues: Weekly recap - Cointelegraph - August 31st, 2020
- $140,000 of North Korean Bitcoin Targeted by DoJ Starts Moving - Decrypt - August 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin 'maximalists' accused of 'shilling' an SEC-cleared token - Cointelegraph - August 31st, 2020
- SEC Redefines Accredited Investors to Include Those With Proven Knowledge | Regulation - Bitcoin News - August 31st, 2020
- First Mover: Binance's Shrinking Trading Spreads and Bitcoin's Jackson Hole Fizzle - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 31st, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: What Rising Inflation Could Mean for Bitcoin and the US Dollar - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 28th, 2020
- Digital Dollar To Be In Competition With Bitcoin - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Fidelity Is A 1000 Pound Bitcoin Gorilla In The Making - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Tyler Winklevoss says US Fed is the biggest booster of Bitcoin price - Cointelegraph - August 28th, 2020
- New Binance Exclusive Reveals The Bitcoin Exchange Might Have A Serious Problem - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Explanation of the Stock to Flow Model as Bitcoin Pulls Back - Market Insights - TradeStation Market Insights - August 28th, 2020
- Here's Why Bitcoin Is A Must In Your Portfolio - Seeking Alpha - August 28th, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips to $11.6K, ETH Options Predict Price Below $400 by End of Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 28th, 2020
- Fed, futures and fundamentals: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - August 28th, 2020
- I would never invest one cent in Bitcoin, says Ryanair CEO - Cointelegraph - August 28th, 2020
- Re-Mining Simulation Shows Satoshi Used a Single High-End PC to Mine 1.1M Bitcoin - Bitcoin News - August 28th, 2020
- IMF Publishes Cryptocurrency Explainer, Saying It 'Could Be the Next Step in the Evolution of Money' | News - Bitcoin News - August 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin's presence in South Florida is growing - Key West Florida Weekly - August 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin price, charts, market cap, and other metrics ... - August 15th, 2020
- TradingView Confirms It: People Love Bitcoin And Tesla - Cointelegraph - August 15th, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Break $12,000? 4 Things to Know Heading Into the Weekend - Cointelegraph - August 15th, 2020