Bitcoin exchange hacks have plagued the cryptocurrency ecosystem since the first platforms for trading were launched in the early 2010s, and these events have caused major public relations issues for the entire crypto asset market. While exchange hacks dont have anything to do with potential technical problems related to the underlying Bitcoin network, its never a good look when millions or even billions of dollars worth of Bitcoin is stolen from thousands of exchange customers in a matter of minutes.
Although the Bitcoin exchange industry has improved its ability to deal with crypto asset security over the years, the threat of another large hack is always looming over the ecosystem. But that could soon change.
One of the main features of Bitcoin is that its programmable money, and developers have figured out new ways to build exchanges in ways that do not require users to turn over control of their funds until the exact moment they want to make a trade. One of the new exchanges that is taking advantage of this technology is Nash.
How Does Nash Secure Customer Funds?
In the past, exchange customers have always deposited their coins onto trading platforms with the exchange taking custody of the funds. That exchange platform then becomes a central point of focus for hackers because theres a big payday in it for them if theyre able to get into the exchanges internal wallet.
With platforms like Nash, users do not need to hand over custody of their crypto assets to a third party before they trade.
Many Bitcoin enthusiasts are excited about the Lightning Networks potential to cut transaction costs, speed up transactions, and potentially improve user privacy. And this same sort of technology can be used to vastly improve the level of security offered by exchanges.
Nash uses a system of state channel smart contracts to handle trades, and the system is currently live on the Ethereum and Neo blockchains. Notably, the Ethereum blockchain briefly surpassed Bitcoin in a key measurement of overall adoption last month. However, Ethereums ETH token is also down heavily against Bitcoin over the past couple of years.
According to Nash co-founder Fabio Canesin, Bitcoin support is expected to be added to their platform soon.
We initially demonstrated that our proposed architecture could deliver cross-chain markets that compete with the performance of centralized exchanges an extremely important parameter for liquidity, said Canesin when reached for comment. For this reason, we focused on the NEO-ETH market. Now that this is live and functioning well, we can move onto other networks. Bitcoin is the obvious next candidate owing to its importance in our industry.
State channels effectively allow multiple parties to transact with each other in Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies without having to touch the blockchain. This works via a technical trick that involves two parties placing funds into a 2-of-2 multisig address and then creating valid transactions from that multisig address to each of their personal addresses as a way to update how much of the funds in the multisig address belong to each party. None of these generated transactions are actually broadcast to the blockchain. The only transactions that hit the blockchain are the ones at the end when each party is ready to leave the payment channel with the appropriate amount of funds (if this was too confusing try reading this longer explanation of the Lightning Network).
While decentralized exchanges have existed in the past, a key advantage of using state channels is they allow transfers to happen instantly, meaning users dont have to wait seconds or minutes for blockchain confirmations to execute their trades.
It should also be noted that, while customer funds cannot be stolen by hacking an exchanges internal wallet, hackers could still cause plenty of damage if they were able to push out a malicious software update to Nash customers. That said, this is still a huge security gain.
Updates require a signed payload using offline keys, said Canesin when asked about this potential issue. However, if a hacker did somehow manage to push a malicious update, users would also have to log in and sign a transaction before encountering an issue. The data in our software is not enough, since user-provided entropy is also required. We try to mitigate these risks by building several layers of protection.
The high level of security offered by Nash also relies on the integrity of the smart contracts backing the exchange, and vulnerabilities in advanced smart contracts have continued to pop up in 2019.
Other projects that are working on this type of non-custodial trading technology include SparkSwap, which is built on the Lightning Network, and Arwen, which has built its own plugin model for existing exchanges.
In addition to their trading platform, Nash is also working on a mobile wallet, browser extension, and payment processing service for merchants that will all be integrated with each other.
While even the developers behind Bitcoin admit the cryptocurrency is an experiment that could still fail, exchanges like Nash are another step in the right direction when it comes to improving both usability and security of this technology at the same time. This is also the sort of technology that makes it clear that it would be difficult for governments to implement a Bitcoin ban, as two members of the U.S. Congress recently admitted.
Note: This article was updated to point out the potential issues associated with complex smart contracts that are used as the basis for Nashs exchange and other similar platforms, as pointed out by Kraken CEO Jesse Powell on Twitter.
Follow this link:
- DeFi Boom Has Saved Bitcoin From Plummeting - Forbes - July 13th, 2020
- 'Ferocious Rally': Weiss Ratings Bullish on Bitcoin, Price to Hit $70K Next Year | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - July 13th, 2020
- Stocks, Greed and Exuberance: 5 Things to Watch in Bitcoin This Week - Cointelegraph - July 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Thieves Hit Cashaa - Infosecurity Magazine - July 13th, 2020
- Crypto Winter Could Really Be Over as New Bitcoin Starts to Bloom - Cointelegraph - July 13th, 2020
- 'Fiat and Money Printing' Street Mural Earns $500 in Bitcoin Donations in Five Days | News - Bitcoin News - July 13th, 2020
- Black wealth must exit to Bitcoin, says author Isaiah Jackson - Decrypt - July 13th, 2020
- Listen: What a Bitcoin Researcher Says About Lightning - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volume Slumps; Will TikTok Revive Dogecoin? - Forbes - July 13th, 2020
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 13th, 2020
- Comparing Apple to Bitcoin? Crypto Occupies a Class of Its Own - Cointelegraph - July 13th, 2020
- CoinSwap and the Ongoing Effort to Make Bitcoin Privacy 'Invisible' - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 13th, 2020
- Lets All Get RichTeen TikTok Traders Want To Send Joke Bitcoin Rival Dogecoin To The Moon - Forbes - July 13th, 2020
- $424 Million and Numismatic Value: There's Only 20000 Casascius Physical Bitcoins Left Unspent | Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Never Be Truly Private Says Andreas Antonopoulos - Cointelegraph - July 13th, 2020
- The Popular Stablecoin Tether Is Now Circulating on the Bitcoin Cash Network - Bitcoin News - July 13th, 2020
- Bug in Bitcoin Wallets Found Using the Replace-By-Fee Feature - PRNewswire - July 13th, 2020
- US Dept of Homeland Security Buys Analytics Software From Coinbase | News - Bitcoin News - July 13th, 2020
- Forget gold and Bitcoin. I'd buy these 2 cheap UK shares today to become an ISA millionaire - Yahoo Finance UK - July 13th, 2020
- Active Ethereum addresses growing twice as fast as Bitcoin - Decrypt - July 13th, 2020
- Forget the National Lottery and Bitcoin! I reckon shares are a better way to get rich - Yahoo Finance UK - July 13th, 2020
- Cancel Cardano? You cant cancel Bitcoin Cancel culture rears its head in crypto-community - AMBCrypto English - July 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin price, charts, market cap, and other metrics ... - July 13th, 2020
- This Exchange Crashed Bitcoin Price to $9K: Heres Why Thats Bullish - Cointelegraph - July 13th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Has Soared 1,000% In Just Over 12 Months - Forbes - July 12th, 2020
- The Three Most Controversial Bitcoin Price Models and What They Predict - Cointelegraph - July 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Up 27% in First Half of 2020, Beating Gold, Silver and Platinum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Transactions: New High for Argentina as Confidence in the Peso Tanks - Bitcoin News - July 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin friendly Elon Musk is now richer than Bitcoin hater Warren Buffett - Decrypt - July 12th, 2020
- Correlation Between Bitcoin Price and Stocks Reaches a New All-Time High - Cointelegraph - July 11th, 2020
- I'm a Syrian Refugee. This Is How Bitcoin Changed My Life - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 11th, 2020
- The Secret Service on tracking Bitcoin and cybercrime - Decrypt - July 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin giveaways, other scams pull in $24 million so far this year - Decrypt - July 11th, 2020
- ModiHost's Token Is Live on HitBTC, the Leading European Bitcoin Exchange | Press release - Bitcoin News - July 11th, 2020
- This street mural is pulling in $100 in Bitcoin per day in donations - Decrypt - July 11th, 2020
- Market Wrap: Stocks Tick Downward and so Does Bitcoin, to $9,200 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Undo Button & Fleeing Firms: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - July 10th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Suddenly Dropped 6% on Thursday - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- First Mover: Negative Rates or More Money Printing Bitcoin May Benefit Either Way - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Exclusive: Borrowing Dollars Against Bitcoin And Crypto Is About To Get A Lot Easier - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin To $1,000,000 Might Sound Crazy, But Is It? - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Inactive Bitcoin Supply Reaches 4-Year High, Pointing to Bullish Sentiment - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- JPMorgan Analysts: Bitcoin Is Likely to Survive (as a Speculative Asset) - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Pentagon Documents Reveal The U.S. Has Planned For A Bitcoin Rebellion - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why 2020 Is a Great Year for Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Association Announces Bitcoin SV DevCon 2020 in Partnership with WeAreDevelopers and nChain - PRNewswire - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Realized Cap Hits $106B Record as Fear Returns to BTC Index - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Continues to Reject at $10,000 - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Encrypted Messaging Site Privnote Cloned to Steal Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitfinex Hackers Move Another $4.1 Million Bitcoin in Their Biggest Pay Day Yet | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin-Friendly Top US Banking Regulator Aims to Solve Banks' Problems With Decentralization | News - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- Forget Bitcoin! I'd rather get rich and retire early with cheap FTSE 100 stocks - Yahoo Finance UK - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is More Than an Inflation Hedge - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Developer Activity Surrounding Eos, Tron, and Bitcoin Cash Plummets - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin is becoming more trustworthy than big banks, says survey - Decrypt - June 16th, 2020
- Bullish? Popular Bitcoin Metric Ends Record 7 Weeks of Extreme Fear - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Hits Highest Level Since Black Thursday Amid Halving Buzz - CoinDesk - April 27th, 2020
- Analyst Tone Vays Predicts 12-Month Bitcoin (BTC) Trajectory, Says Three Factors Will Drive People Into Crypto - The Daily Hodl - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD ready to resume the recovery Confluence Detector - FXStreet - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Forms Super Predictive Golden Cross as Price Hits $7.5K - Bitcoinist - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies 10% Ahead of CME April Futures Expiration - CoinDesk - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hangs on to Key Support Level as Stocks and Oil Tip Over - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Kim Jong-uns $2,000,000,000 Bitcoin (BTC), Crypto and Fiat Fortune Suddenly in the Spotlight - The Daily Hodl - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin to the Rescue as Ron Paul Says US Fed Fake Economy Has Burst - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving explained: What is cryptocurrency event and will it boost price? - The Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trades at $15k in Lebanon Amidst Economic Turmoil, Showing Its Real Potential - newsBTC - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Tether Printer Divergence is Immensely Bullish; Here's Why - Bitcoinist - April 27th, 2020
- What Bitcoin SV signals to businesses, investors and social media - CoinGeek - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Email Scams 2020: Threatening Blackmail Tactics Used to Demand BTC | Featured - Bitcoin News - April 27th, 2020
- Ethereum, XRP, Litecoin Turn Bullish on Bitcoins Strong Performance - Crypto Briefing - April 27th, 2020
- Crypto Market Sentiment is Back Up; Bitcoin, Ether in the Positive Zone - Cryptonews - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Association Publishes First Annual Report Highlighting Rapid Growth of Bitcoin SV Ecosystem - PR Newswire UK - April 27th, 2020
- Mark Cuban and Tyler Winklevoss Squabble Over Bitcoin Complexity - Cointelegraph - April 17th, 2020
- Crypto Analyst Cautions Investors Against Bitcoin for 3 Key Reasons - Cointelegraph - April 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Halvening Cometh - Forbes - April 17th, 2020
- TOP 3 Bitcoin and Crypto News for Today: 17 April - U.Today - April 17th, 2020
- More Investors Are Holding Bitcoin Ahead of the Halving, Data Suggests - CoinDesk - April 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Follow Ethereum And Move to Proof-of-Stake, Says Bitcoin Suisse Founder - Cointelegraph - April 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Predicted to Go to $50,000 by Trading Guru Peter Brandt (but Don't Get Too Excited) - U.Today - April 17th, 2020
- Are Bitcoin Cash Miners Driving Up the Price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - April 17th, 2020