Many in the crypto and digital assets markets have been claiming that institutions are moving into this space and are now banging down the digital door to get access to this asset class. They may finally be onto something.
By many measures, the market for digital assets is growing at a pace that appears primed for broader adoption by more sophisticated players in the markets like private capital, pensions funds, endowments, traditional hedge funds, and banks.
The crypto derivatives market is a leading example of this. It has been growing faster than the spot market over the past three years and is now estimated to be 40% of the top global exchange volume according to CryptoCompare in their July Exchange Review Report.
"In the last two years we have seen traditional pension funds likeFairfax Countys Virginias Police Officers Retirement System, traditional banks like JP Morgan, Signature Bank, and multiple billion dollar family offices across the country holding and investing in Bitcoin and other crypto currencies," says Kavita Gupta, visiting scholar at Stanford University.
Institutions often cite regulatory uncertainty as one of the main reasons for not allocating to crypto and digital assets, and they have a point. Most tokens and coins fall under a legal grey area that has yet to be clarified by most major securities authorities. Derivatives are a different breed.
The US Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) is considered one of the planets toughest regulators, and they have approved several crypto futures contracts for trading like CME's Bitcoin Options, NYSEs Bakkt, and LedgerX. This approval comes despite their refusal to approve a Bitcoin ETF as they judge the spot market as unreliable and manipulated to a much higher degree than most people realize.
The widespread availability of these derivatives has led to private capital and institutions allocating to them, seemingly setting or matching new records with each passing month. Open interest in Bitcoin contracts hit an all time high of $2.1 billion on July 31st and then nearly matched that mark with the August expiry that passed just last week.
In the U.S. alone, anyone with a TD Ameritrade or Robinhood account can invest in crypto options just as easily as buying a share of Apple AAPL or Tesla TSLA , and this has likely contributed to the explosive growth seen in options trading volumes this year. The rumour in the professional COVID-19 work at home community in the global financial services sector is that the vast numbers of new homeworkers has contributed to the retail volume of derivative trading.
It helps to have traditional heavyweights like the CME and NYSE behind these contracts, and while growth started slowly and intermittently, it is now moving at a steady pace. According to a recent research report by Tokeninsight, derivatives trading volume is rising steeply, up 100 percent from the same period one year ago as spot volumes have seen a drop, down 18% in Q2 but still have yet to pass spot trading volumes.
There are also venues like Huobi, Bitmex, and Deribit, and investors are flocking to them not only because they are seen as safer by some, but also because of the flexibility and creativity found in derivatives markets.
Denis Vinokourov, head of research for digital assets prime broker Bequant, recently commented in CoinTelegraph, Options are a very efficient way to hedge exposure to the underlying product, be that Bitcoin or Ethereum spot or even futures/perpetuals. In addition, it is easier to structure products that would offer yield, and it is this that has been particularly appealing to market participants, especially in the wake of sideways market price action.
Crypto assets are growing and the markets are maturing at a remarkably fast pace given their relative infancy. Bitcoin is increasingly gaining mainstream awareness as public companies and central bankers discuss it with stablecoins, central bank digital currencies (CBDCs), and the Digital Yuan, increasingly as a prolonged economic downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic looks increasingly likely.
Last month a publicly traded company MicroStrategy MSTR became one of the single biggest individual holders of Bitcoin when it bought about $250 million worth of BTC because it is a reasonable hedge against inflation that is superior to cash.
This led to a short-lived rally, but this was less important than the initial indications that larger firms are now starting to seek out alternatives to the US Dollar, and in this case, one was confident enough in Bitcoin to convert nearly all of its cash reserves into the cryptocurrency.
This phenomenon is global with Asian companies not to be outdone. This weeks announcement by the Singapore Exchange about its entry into digital asset products is a telling barometer for institutional interests globally.
This is no surprise as Asian institutions make up the lions share of trading volumes in spot, futures and derivative products, said James Harris, at CryptoCompare, expect more to come, especially in the Asia Pacific region, and soon.
A number of larger exchanges around the world are also long on digital assets including the London Stock Exchange Group, Nasdaq and the Swiss Stock Exchange (SIX-Group) who is building a full digital exchange, SDX, in partnership with R3 and are also exploring platforming the Swiss National Banks (SNB) digital currency.
Spot markets have since rallied sporadically but are struggling to stay above $12,000, trading mostly in a narrow range between $11,300 and $11,800 while DeFi coins like YFI have surged in unprecedented parabolic runs that have made instant millionaires overnight only to see some of those lose all their gains almost as quickly, as in the case of YAM.
A likely contributor to this tentative price action is the weariness traders have that another storm cloud is often on the horizon. Ethereum Classic (ETC) had three 51 percent attacks last month alone. This week saw South Korean regulators raiding the offices of BitThumb, one of the worlds largest crypto exchanges, over allegations of fraud related to an IEO and a potential buyout offer.
Bitcoin fell nearly five percent and other digital assets were dragged down with it. In an orderly market, circuit breakers would be triggered. Trading would be suspended, and investors would have been protected.
These measures dont exist in digital asset spot markets and flash crashes lead investors of all types to incur losses they otherwise wouldnt in traditional, fully regulated markets. Until the risk of this unpredictability can be better managed, it might be a while before more sophisticated investors look too far beyond traditional derivatives markets which are, after all, notionally the largest market in the world.
- Bitcoin Reached A 7-Week Low TodayHere's What Traders Should Know - Forbes - November 29th, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin, according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin bear market: These are the 5 best performing cryptocurrencies - Markets Insider - November 29th, 2021
- Hedge Fund Manager Anthony Scaramucci Compares Bitcoin to Amazon in the Year 2000, Predicts Strong Q1 for BTC - The Daily Hodl - November 29th, 2021
- Thailand Plans to Become 'Crypto-Positive Society' Governor Says 'Crypto Is the Future' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- Forget Ether! Solana will Emerge as a Big 'Bitcoin Killer' in 2022 - Analytics Insight - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Biases: Agnotology, The Making And Unmaking Of Ignorance - Bitcoin Magazine - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin Or Ethereum? Which Blockchain Is Heavier? BitMEX Research Reports - Bitcoinist - November 29th, 2021
- Sneaker Giant Adidas Says the Metaverse Is 'Exciting,' Reveals Partnership With Coinbase Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- $BTC: ARK Invest CEO Explains Why Institutional Investors Are Getting Into Bitcoin - CryptoGlobe - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin miners and oil and gas execs mingled at a secretive meetup in Houston here's what they talked about - CNBC - September 5th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin Losing Its Position As The Crypto Market's Leader? - Forbes - September 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin Trades Above $50000 as Cryptos Gain Steam. What's Behind the Rally. - Barron's - September 5th, 2021
- As Global Inflation Heats Up, Bitcoin Saves The Day - Bitcoin Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin-Related And Ethereum-Related Stocks Are Rising - Yahoo Finance - September 5th, 2021
- The IRS Goes Undercover As A Bitcoin Trader In $180,000 Sting - Forbes - September 5th, 2021
- Will PayPals adoption of bitcoin make cryptocurrency more mainstream? - New Scientist News - September 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin May Hit $100,000-Mark By End Of 2021 With Current Bull Run: Experts - NDTV Profit - September 5th, 2021
- Twitter reportedly working on Bitcoin tipping feature - Cointelegraph - September 5th, 2021
- The Transition Between Fiat And Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Vitalik Buterin Has Suggestions for Dogecoin and Doge's Cooperation With Ethereum Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2021
- Mastermind of Zimbabwean Bitcoin Pyramid Scheme Vanishes With $6 Million Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2021
- From $250 Billion to $2.35 Trillion: A Look at the Top Ten Crypto Market Cap Shifts Over 2 Years Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2021
- Yes, bitcoin could be the new GameStop - CNBC - February 1st, 2021
- Silver Is the New GameStop as Musk's #Bitcoin Stalls - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 1st, 2021
- Behind the Bitcoin Bubble - The Wall Street Journal - February 1st, 2021
- This investor in both gold and bitcoin says only one offers real long-term safety - MarketWatch - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin White Paper - Miami - City of Miami - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin and Inflation: Everything You Need to Know - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 1st, 2021
- What the crypto bill means for bitcoin investors - Mint - February 1st, 2021
- r/WallStreetBets Shows Bitcoin's In The Game - Bitcoin Magazine - February 1st, 2021
- Elon Musk talks Mars, monkey brain implants and Bitcoin in Clubhouse interview - CNET - February 1st, 2021
- Laying out the biggest risks of investing in bitcoin in 2021 - KTAR.com - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin miners raked in more than $1 billion in revenue last month - TechRadar - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin Rally Attracts Wave Of Private Investment As Leading Blockchain VC Raises New $120 Million Fund - Forbes - December 26th, 2020
- Bitcoins Rally Has Already Outlasted 2017s Epic Run - The Wall Street Journal - December 26th, 2020
- Here's Why I Won't Buy Bitcoin, and You Shouldn't, Either - Motley Fool - December 26th, 2020
- The price of bitcoin is 'driven by manipulation': Nouriel Roubini - Yahoo Finance - December 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin To 27K Projection? - Yahoo Finance - December 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin And Crypto Trading Tips From Poker World Champion Annie Duke - Forbes - December 26th, 2020
- Mark Zuckerberg has another answer to Bitcoin - The Japan Times - December 26th, 2020
- An Unknown User Incurs More Than $80,000 in Transaction Fees When Sending BTC Worth $1 | Blockchain - Bitcoin News - December 26th, 2020
- Tokenized Bitcoin on Ethereum Now Tops $1.1 B: Here's Why - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 25th, 2020
- 3 reasons why traders turned bullish after Bitcoin price surged to $10.7K - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoins Hit Exchanges as Bloomberg Touts Crypto and DeFi Hedge Fund Seeks $50M - CoinDesk - September 25th, 2020
- BitGo Is Bringing DeFi-Friendly Wrapped Bitcoin to the Tron Blockchain - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 25th, 2020
- Keiser Insists 'Bitcoin Inversely Correlated To USD Not Stock Markets' After Crypto Market Tumble | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Profit taking Bitcoin miners wont stop the next bull run: On-chain analyst - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- The Winklevosses have launched their bitcoin exchange in the UK - Wired.co.uk - September 25th, 2020
- Christies to sell its first non-fungible-token as part of epic Bitcoin artwork - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin-related ads are now streaming on Disney+ in some regions thanks to Zebpay - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency ETF by Nasdaq and Hashdex Approved to List on Bermuda Stock Exchange | Regulation - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- XSwap Started Yield Farming, The Highest APY Reaches 70,000% | Press release - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin sentiment at record lows Does it mean the price will go up? - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Its a bull trap! 3 key metrics forecast Bitcoin price rejection at $11K - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Bit Digital, Inc. Announced Officially to Cooperate with the World's Leading Bitcoin Colocation Partner In US - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Correlations Drive the Narrative - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin hardware devices need to improve to handle complex transactions - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoin Investors the Sane Ones as Federal Reserve Cheers Inflation, Price Nears $11K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Why We Get Obsessed With Bitcoin - Decrypt - September 18th, 2020
- Tevoro.com Announces New Book Revealing What's Missing from Bitcoin, Ethereum and Other Cryptocurrencies - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Bank of England talks negative interest rates in best ad for Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Fed, oil and record hash rate: 5 things to know in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Glen Oaks Escrow Announces It Assisted With Yet Another Bitcoin Transaction - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- India's Crypto Bill Omitted From Parliament Agenda While New Ban Report Appears - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000 Its All OverHeres Why - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Down Almost 10% Today, You'll Be Surprised to Hear What's Next - FX Empire - September 5th, 2020
- So Far, a Nice Rise But Not a Wild Runup for Bitcoin Since the May Halving Event - Digital Transactions - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 5th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 5th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020