Bitcoin has declined sharply this week, losing over 5% in under 24 hours and causing traders to nervously eye the psychological $10,000 per bitcoin level.
The bitcoin price lost $1,000 in a matter of hours, falling under $11,000 per bitcoin on Thursday morning with the U.S. stock market posting its biggest sell-off since June by the close of play as stocks retreated from all-time highs, led lower by tech giants.
Bitcoin and cryptocurrency market watchers, who have enjoyed a prolonged bull market since the March coronavirus crash, are now focused on the $10,000 line, with a bitcoin futures trading gap set in late July still open just below it.
The bitcoin price lost almost $1,000 per bitcoin in under 24 hours, sparking fears among bitcoin and ... [+] cryptocurrency traders of a wider sell-off.
Bitcoin's 2020 bull market, which has seen the bitcoin price surge from around $4,000 to $12,000, could be brought to an abrupt end if the price moves lower than $10,000 per bitcoin.
"Moving forward, it is important to keep an eye on the last zone of defense between $10,000 and $10,500," Joe DiPasquale, the chief executive of San Francisco-based bitcoin and crypto hedge fund BitBull Capital, said via email. "As long as this range is respected, bitcoin is unlikely to see a prolonged bearish spell."
The bitcoin price fell as low as $10,455 per bitcoin on the Luxembourg-based Bitstamp exchange on Thursday before somewhat rebounding.
The open trading gap, set on July 27, saw bitcoin futures on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) open higher after the weekend close, something some analysts think causes a disconnect with the underlying market and appears to have set bitcoin on its path to recent highs of around $12,000. Technical analysis shows that 90% of such trading gaps are eventually closed, with the price sooner-or-later retracing back to the gap.
Elsewhere, bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchange data suggests there could still be "sell pressure to work through," according to Philip Gradwell, chief economist at blockchain intelligence firm Chainalysis.
"Bitcoin inflows to exchanges were 92,000 yesterday, highest in 37 days, as people rushed to sell at near $12,000 prices of September 1," Gradwell said via Twitter. "Trade intensity, how many times the inflowing bitcoin was traded, is low, suggesting there were not many buyers to match the sellers."
Meanwhile, bitcoin miners, those who secure the cryptocurrency's network in return for bitcoin rewards, "are moving unusually large amounts of bitcoin," according to analysts at data provider CryptoQuant, suggesting miners are looking to cash out their bitcoin rewards.
"The big level that everyone is watching is $10,000," Mati Greenspan, the founder of Quantum Economics, wrote in his popular daily newsletter, pointing to a U.S. dollar comeback as the reason for the recent move lower.
"The crypto market has broken a few psychological levels. When we broke above that level in late July, it was with such force that we never really got to test it as support. Well, this may just be our chance," Greenspan wrote, adding, "if things get really bad we may just get another chance to buy bitcoin below $10,000."
The bitcoin price has lost almost 6% over the last 24-hour trading period, with the bitcoin market ... [+] capitalization falling under $200 billion.
However, many in the bitcoin and cryptocurrency community remain upbeat despite the recent bitcoin price fall.
"$10,000 is the new $1,000," Charles Hayter, chief executive of bitcoin and cryptocurrency analytics platform CryptoCompare, said via email, adding: "2020 has seen leaps and bounds in terms of infrastructure, regulation and resilience across the ecosystem as it has evolved over the last three years."
The current bitcoin market is "similar to the first half of 2017," according to Hayter, who thinks "the perpetual dilution of fiat currencies is being challenged by bitcoins hard code cap" of 21 million bitcoin tokens.
Bitcoin, along with the wider cryptocurrency market and global stock markets, has been boosted this year by massive stimulus measures and unprecedented money printing that's carried out by the world's central banks, led by the U.S. Federal Reserve, in order to offset the economic damage wrought by the coronavirus pandemic.
"For most of 2020, short-term bitcoin price moves have been highly correlated to U.S. stocks," Cory Klippsten, the chief executive of bitcoin buying app Swan Bitcoin, said via Telegram, adding he expects "any dips under $10,000 to be bought up voraciously."
"Bitcoin has proven to be uncorrelated over the longer term. At a minimum it is a hedge against fiat inflation, but it also functions as a call option on a new global monetary system."
View original post here:
- Bitcoin Reached A 7-Week Low TodayHere's What Traders Should Know - Forbes - November 29th, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin, according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin bear market: These are the 5 best performing cryptocurrencies - Markets Insider - November 29th, 2021
- Hedge Fund Manager Anthony Scaramucci Compares Bitcoin to Amazon in the Year 2000, Predicts Strong Q1 for BTC - The Daily Hodl - November 29th, 2021
- Thailand Plans to Become 'Crypto-Positive Society' Governor Says 'Crypto Is the Future' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- Forget Ether! Solana will Emerge as a Big 'Bitcoin Killer' in 2022 - Analytics Insight - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Biases: Agnotology, The Making And Unmaking Of Ignorance - Bitcoin Magazine - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin Or Ethereum? Which Blockchain Is Heavier? BitMEX Research Reports - Bitcoinist - November 29th, 2021
- Sneaker Giant Adidas Says the Metaverse Is 'Exciting,' Reveals Partnership With Coinbase Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- $BTC: ARK Invest CEO Explains Why Institutional Investors Are Getting Into Bitcoin - CryptoGlobe - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin miners and oil and gas execs mingled at a secretive meetup in Houston here's what they talked about - CNBC - September 5th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin Losing Its Position As The Crypto Market's Leader? - Forbes - September 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin Trades Above $50000 as Cryptos Gain Steam. What's Behind the Rally. - Barron's - September 5th, 2021
- As Global Inflation Heats Up, Bitcoin Saves The Day - Bitcoin Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin-Related And Ethereum-Related Stocks Are Rising - Yahoo Finance - September 5th, 2021
- The IRS Goes Undercover As A Bitcoin Trader In $180,000 Sting - Forbes - September 5th, 2021
- Will PayPals adoption of bitcoin make cryptocurrency more mainstream? - New Scientist News - September 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin May Hit $100,000-Mark By End Of 2021 With Current Bull Run: Experts - NDTV Profit - September 5th, 2021
- Twitter reportedly working on Bitcoin tipping feature - Cointelegraph - September 5th, 2021
- The Transition Between Fiat And Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - September 5th, 2021
- Vitalik Buterin Has Suggestions for Dogecoin and Doge's Cooperation With Ethereum Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2021
- Mastermind of Zimbabwean Bitcoin Pyramid Scheme Vanishes With $6 Million Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2021
- From $250 Billion to $2.35 Trillion: A Look at the Top Ten Crypto Market Cap Shifts Over 2 Years Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2021
- Yes, bitcoin could be the new GameStop - CNBC - February 1st, 2021
- Silver Is the New GameStop as Musk's #Bitcoin Stalls - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 1st, 2021
- Behind the Bitcoin Bubble - The Wall Street Journal - February 1st, 2021
- This investor in both gold and bitcoin says only one offers real long-term safety - MarketWatch - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin White Paper - Miami - City of Miami - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin and Inflation: Everything You Need to Know - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 1st, 2021
- What the crypto bill means for bitcoin investors - Mint - February 1st, 2021
- r/WallStreetBets Shows Bitcoin's In The Game - Bitcoin Magazine - February 1st, 2021
- Elon Musk talks Mars, monkey brain implants and Bitcoin in Clubhouse interview - CNET - February 1st, 2021
- Laying out the biggest risks of investing in bitcoin in 2021 - KTAR.com - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin miners raked in more than $1 billion in revenue last month - TechRadar - February 1st, 2021
- Bitcoin Rally Attracts Wave Of Private Investment As Leading Blockchain VC Raises New $120 Million Fund - Forbes - December 26th, 2020
- Bitcoins Rally Has Already Outlasted 2017s Epic Run - The Wall Street Journal - December 26th, 2020
- Here's Why I Won't Buy Bitcoin, and You Shouldn't, Either - Motley Fool - December 26th, 2020
- The price of bitcoin is 'driven by manipulation': Nouriel Roubini - Yahoo Finance - December 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin To 27K Projection? - Yahoo Finance - December 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin And Crypto Trading Tips From Poker World Champion Annie Duke - Forbes - December 26th, 2020
- Mark Zuckerberg has another answer to Bitcoin - The Japan Times - December 26th, 2020
- An Unknown User Incurs More Than $80,000 in Transaction Fees When Sending BTC Worth $1 | Blockchain - Bitcoin News - December 26th, 2020
- Tokenized Bitcoin on Ethereum Now Tops $1.1 B: Here's Why - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 25th, 2020
- 3 reasons why traders turned bullish after Bitcoin price surged to $10.7K - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoins Hit Exchanges as Bloomberg Touts Crypto and DeFi Hedge Fund Seeks $50M - CoinDesk - September 25th, 2020
- BitGo Is Bringing DeFi-Friendly Wrapped Bitcoin to the Tron Blockchain - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 25th, 2020
- Keiser Insists 'Bitcoin Inversely Correlated To USD Not Stock Markets' After Crypto Market Tumble | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Profit taking Bitcoin miners wont stop the next bull run: On-chain analyst - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- The Winklevosses have launched their bitcoin exchange in the UK - Wired.co.uk - September 25th, 2020
- Christies to sell its first non-fungible-token as part of epic Bitcoin artwork - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin-related ads are now streaming on Disney+ in some regions thanks to Zebpay - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency ETF by Nasdaq and Hashdex Approved to List on Bermuda Stock Exchange | Regulation - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- XSwap Started Yield Farming, The Highest APY Reaches 70,000% | Press release - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin sentiment at record lows Does it mean the price will go up? - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Its a bull trap! 3 key metrics forecast Bitcoin price rejection at $11K - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Bit Digital, Inc. Announced Officially to Cooperate with the World's Leading Bitcoin Colocation Partner In US - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Correlations Drive the Narrative - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin hardware devices need to improve to handle complex transactions - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoin Investors the Sane Ones as Federal Reserve Cheers Inflation, Price Nears $11K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Why We Get Obsessed With Bitcoin - Decrypt - September 18th, 2020
- Tevoro.com Announces New Book Revealing What's Missing from Bitcoin, Ethereum and Other Cryptocurrencies - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Bank of England talks negative interest rates in best ad for Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Fed, oil and record hash rate: 5 things to know in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Glen Oaks Escrow Announces It Assisted With Yet Another Bitcoin Transaction - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- India's Crypto Bill Omitted From Parliament Agenda While New Ban Report Appears - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Private Capital And Institutions Are Piling Into Bitcoin And Other Digital Assets But You Need To Know Where To Look - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Down Almost 10% Today, You'll Be Surprised to Hear What's Next - FX Empire - September 5th, 2020
- So Far, a Nice Rise But Not a Wild Runup for Bitcoin Since the May Halving Event - Digital Transactions - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 5th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 5th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020