On January 1, the BTC network hashrate touched an all-time high at close to 120 exahash per second (EH/s). Despite the crypto market lull and lower BTC prices, the 2020 milestone happened just before the blockchains 11th anniversary. BTCs curious jump in hashrate has the cryptosphere wondering whether or not the price truly follows hashpower.
Also Read: Market Update: Crypto Traders Search for Bullish and Bearish Trends
One of the crypto communitys favorite topics is hash power, which is a cryptocurrency mining rigs processing speed. The overall hashrate is the combined hash power used to mine cryptocurrencies like BCH, BTC, and a slew of other coins. The hashrate that analytical websites track is typically measured in calculated hashes per second. Data sites use terminology like terahash (1,000,000,000,000 hashes per second), petahash (one quadrillion hashes per second), and exahash, which equals one quintillion hashes per second.
For some perspective, most single-unit machines produce a number of terahash per second. Bigger facilities filled with mining rigs and collaborative pools produce petahash, and the entire network of single miners, giant facilities, and pools combined yield a number of exahash. Miners on the BTC network did not process one exahash until the last week of January 2016. At the time, the milestone was considered a noteworthy spike in overall hashrate. On January 1, 2020, the BTC network hashrate touch 119 EH/s surpassing the chains previous all-time high of 100 EH/s.
Similar to now, in 2016 BTC prices were low, at $380 per coin when the network crossed one exahash. Following the jump in hash power, the price did follow, and very slowly crept from $380 per BTC to $700 per coin in June of that year. Following the month of June, BTCs hashrate climbed above two EH/s but BTC prices remained stagnant fluctuating between $600-$775 per coin. At the end of November 2016, the price per BTC started climbing higher and the value continued to spike in the spring of 2017. From the spring months of 2017 all the way until December 2017, both BTCs fiat value and hashrate skyrocketed. In April 2017, the overall BTC network hashrate was around 4 EH/s and by the years end, it was hovering around 15 EH/s. Now, despite the price dropping from close to $20k per BTC all the way to the $3,500 range, the hashrate jumped to 56 EH/s in September 2018 without dropping much in between.
In September 2018, with a hashrate around 56 EH/s, the price per BTC was similar to todays market prices at $6,500 per coin. From September to December 2018, the BTC network lost a significant amount of hashrate as it plummeted to 31 EH/s. Of course, the price in December 2018 was between $3,200 to $4,000 per BTC. Bitcoin prices didnt start to recover until the end of March 2019, but from December 2018 until the spring months of 2019, BTCs hashrate regained the hash power it held in September 2018 at around 56 EH/s. The overall hashrate has doubled since then, touching a milestone of 100 EH/s in November 2019. The price per BTC has also followed suit up until it touched the 100 EH/s all-time high. Since then, BTCs fiat value has hovered around the $6,500 to $7,500 region.
There is always a lot of talk that the price follows hashrate and historically this has been true. However, statistics show that the hash power typically gets a decent lead before the prices start kicking into gear. This means that it could take some time for the price to follow the climbing hashrate.
If historical patterns remain consistent with future patterns, it could mean a few more months before the price comes around. People should also keep in mind that past price and hashrate patterns do not necessarily reflect what will happen in the future.
What do you think about the BTC network hashrate coming close to 120 EH/s on January 1, 2020? Do you agree that the price will follow BTCs hashrate? Or do you think that patterns like price and hash do not matter? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Price articles and market updates are intended for informational purposes only and should not be considered as trading advice. Neither Bitcoin.com nor the author is responsible for any losses or gains, as the ultimate decision to conduct a trade is made by the reader. Always remember that only those in possession of the private keys are in control of the money. Cryptocurrency prices referenced in this article were recorded at different times using historical fiat prices and todays global exchange rate for BTC at 3:00 p.m. EST on January 2, 2020.
Image credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Twitter, Fair Use, Blockchain.com, markets.bitcoin.com, and Wiki Commons.
Verify and track bitcoin cash transactions on our BCH Block Explorer, the best of its kind anywhere in the world. Also, keep up with your holdings, BCH, and other coins, on our market charts at Bitcoin.com Markets, another original and free service from Bitcoin.com.
Jamie Redman is a financial tech journalist living in Florida. Redman has been an active member of the cryptocurrency community since 2011. He has a passion for Bitcoin, open source code, and decentralized applications. Redman has written thousands of articles for news.Bitcoin.com about the disruptive protocols emerging today.
See original here:
- Bitcoin Price Climbs to $9,500 After Third Higher High in One Week - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Aint What It Used To Be, Pioneer Investor Says - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Why Tomorrows Monthly Close In Bitcoin Could Be Its Most Critical Yet - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- This is the right amount of bitcoin to keep in an investment portfolio - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Still Too Early To Declare Longer-Term Bitcoin Trend Change - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies to Near $9150 as Stocks Drop Over Coronavirus Fears - Coindesk - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Eyes Best January Close in 7 Years After 30% Price Increase - Coindesk - January 30th, 2020
- Do or Die For Bitcoin Bears: Its The Most Critical Period For BTC - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Exchange LocalBitcoins - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator That Called 2019 Bull Run Flashes Green Again - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Different Type of Shakeout Trader Says Bitcoin Unlikely to Hit $6K - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Above $9K Today - Bitcoinist - January 30th, 2020
- Yang in the Oval Office Is Bitcoins Only Chance of Reaching Critical Mass - CCN.com - January 30th, 2020
- This Bitcoin Competitor Pumped 272% And a Self-Proclaimed Inventor of BTC Says He Knows Why - The Daily Hodl - January 30th, 2020
- No Virus Woes for Bitcoin as It Climbs to Highest Since November - Bloomberg - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Risk-Return a Different Beast Compared to Amazon: Analyst - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- A Massive 500 Bitcoin Sell Order Hits Binance For First Time in a While, Heres What It Means - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoins 15% Weekly Gain Could Send Ethereum Flying: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Nothing Special Bitcoin Slumps 6% on Coronavirus, Chinese New Year - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- BitMEX Open Interest Hitting $1B Could Be Bullish for Bitcoin This Time - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Fades: What's Next? - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Elon Musk Reveals His True Opinion on Bitcoin and Crypto - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Crypto Price Analysis & Overview January 30th: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Monero, and IOTA. - CryptoPotato - January 30th, 2020
- The Invisible Global Currency Thats 24 Times Bigger Than Bitcoin - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst Expects Altcoins to Suffer With Launch of Bitcoin Options: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- Dash Surges by Over 16% as Bitcoin Price Hovers at $8,100 - Cointelegraph - January 13th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Will Be Golden in 2020 Thanks to Limited Supply, Increasing Use: Bloomberg Report - CoinDesk - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rockets Over $8,000 As Ripples XRP, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, And Litecoin Suddenly Soar [Updated] - Forbes - January 13th, 2020
- Bitfinex Premium Goes Negative; Last Time it Did, Bitcoin Fell 30% in 3 Months - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC/USD struggles to sustain the $8,100 level - FXStreet - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst: Bitcoin to Target $9,500 Due to A Few Key Factors - Ethereum World News - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Primed For Fresh Rally And Only 1 Thing Is Holding It Back - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- 60% of Bitcoins havent moved for more than a year - Yahoo Finance - January 13th, 2020
- Libra Association Exec: World Needs Us Because Bitcoin Is 'Not a Means of Payment' - CoinDesk - January 13th, 2020
- Ethereum could be undervalued compared to Bitcoin: analyst - AMBCrypto - January 13th, 2020
- New Bitcoin Addresses Averaged At 124 Million Since 2017: Data - Bitcoinist - January 13th, 2020
- US and European Regulators Say Crypto a Priority This Year - Bitcoin News - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Could Take Centre Stage at the 2020 NBA All Star Game, With Your Help - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin And Everything It Has Done For The World So Far - CryptoPotato - January 13th, 2020
- What good is Bitcoin if the Internet fails? - Decrypt - January 13th, 2020
- Forget gold and Bitcoin! I'd invest regularly in FTSE 100 shares in an ISA to make a million - Yahoo Finance UK - January 13th, 2020
- Independent Report Declares News.Bitcoin.com the Top Crypto News Site - Bitcoin News - January 13th, 2020
- Why Proof of Reserves Is Important to Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoins transaction fee 426x more than Litecoin in 2019 - AMBCrypto - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Rise Above $20,000 In 2020, Says Bitpays Singh - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- Why The Bitcoin Price Could Hit $50,000 In 2020 - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- No, Bitcoin Isnt Going For Anywhere Near $24,000 In IranHeres Why - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is In Steep Downtrend, But This Variable Can Trigger A New Rally - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Got Rejected at $8,400, And It Means a Big Fall Ahead - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Ransomwares Year-End Thank You Note To Bitcoin - Law360 - January 10th, 2020
- Why Proof of Reserves Is Important to Bitcoin - Nasdaq - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Accepted: This Rapper Welcomes BTC Payments and HODLs - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bull Run: 3 Reasons Why BTC Will Continue to Surge - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Flashes Signs of Starting a Massive Bull Run, But One Key Hurdle Remains - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Can digital gold Bitcoin ever be mined in India? - ETCIO.com - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Starts Corrective Decrease But Bulls Not Out Of Woods Yet - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Federal Reserve Have One Thing in Common, According to CNBC's Guy Adami - U.Today - January 10th, 2020
- The Recipe that Causes Bitcoin to Rise: Economic and Geopolitical Uncertainty - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Compared to Tesla (TSLA) by Prominent Investor. Elon Musk Won't Like It - U.Today - January 10th, 2020
- Heres What Must Happen for $9K Bitcoin Price in the Coming Months - Cointelegraph - January 10th, 2020
- These Factors Signal that Bitcoin is Just Taking a Breather Before Another Rally - Ethereum World News - January 10th, 2020
- Why Analysts Think Bitcoins Surge to $7,450 is Just the Beginning - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- New crisis in the Middle East: Good for bitcoin, bad for the world - Decrypt - January 10th, 2020
- How Dropgangs and Dead Drops Are Transforming Darknet Practices - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2020
- This Company Sets Out to Prove Crypto Mining Has a Place in Your Home - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin price | index, chart and news | WorldCoinIndex - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Today Live Bitcoin Value - Charts & Market ... - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Live, Bitcoin Chart , BTC Value Today, BTC ... - January 5th, 2020
- 2020 predictions for bitcoin, Libra, and the digital yuan - Quartz - January 5th, 2020
- U.S. Assassination Of A Major Iranian Official Poses An Unprecedented Test Of Bitcoins Role As A Safe Haven Asset - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin is on the Cusp of a Major Price Movement - Crypto Briefing - January 5th, 2020
- Happy Birthday Bitcoin! Here's a Look at Bitcoin's 11th Year by the Numbers - Bitcoin Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Could Rally to $9K Before a Massive Collapse, Heres Why - Cointelegraph - January 5th, 2020
- Why 2020 will be the best year yet for Bitcoins Lightning Network - Decrypt - January 5th, 2020