Bitcoin (BTC) slipped to an 18-day low today, as a key indicator threatens to turn bearish for the first time in a year.
The top cryptocurrency fell by $500 in 10 minutes just after 03:00 UTC to hit a low of $9,600 on Bitstamp. That level was last seen on Sept. 1.
The drop was expected as BTC was on slippery ground following last weeks failed breakout. Volatility also fellto multi-month lows on Wednesday, indicating scope for an explosive price move.
Prices have bounced back a little in the last few hours, but the bearish mood is still intact with the cryptocurrency currently changing hands around $9,850, representing a 3 percent loss on a 24-hour basis.
The spread between the 50- and 100-day moving averages (MAs) of bitcoins price has narrowed sharply and the two averages will likely soon produce a bearish crossover, as seen in the chart below.
A bearish crossover occurs when a short-term MA drops below a long-term MA. At time of writing, the 50- and 100-day averages are located at $10,504 and $10,492 and the former looks set to cross below the latter in the next couple of days.
If confirmed, the event would mark the first bear cross of the 50- and 100-day MAs since Sept. 16, 2018.
Technical analysis theory considers the bearish cross of long-term MAs as an advance warning of an impending price crash. They are, however, based on historical data and tend to lag price. Hence, bearish crossovers have limited predictive powers at best and often end up trapping sellers on the wrong side of the market.
For instance, the 50-day MA fell below the 100-day MA on Aug. 29, 2016, when BTC was trading near $570. The cryptocurrency remained flatlined in the next couple of days before rising above $600 on Sept. 4.
More importantly, the $570 price seen on Aug. 29 was never put to test throughout the meteoric rise to a record high of $20,000 reached in December 2017.
Observers may argue that last Septembers bearish crossover was followed by a sharp sell-off to levels below $5,000 in November. However, back then, the cryptocurrency was in a bear market. Also, prices remained sidelined above $6,000 for at least six weeks following the confirmation of the bear cross before dropping in November.
Currently, BTC appears to be in a bull market, having charted higher lows and higher highs in the second quarter. Hence, the latest bearish cross may not be a cause for worry for the bulls especially considering BTC is still stuck in a three-month-long narrowing of its price range.
The upper edge of the contracting triangle is currently located at $10,857 while the lower edge is seen at $9,450.
A high-volume UTC close above $10,857 would confirm the breakout and imply a resumption of the rally from lows near $4,000 in April and could yield a break above the 2019 high of $13,880. That said, a more reliable indicator of bullish revival would be a weekly close above $12,000.
A triangle breakdown, if confirmed, would suggest a bearish reversal and could fuel a price drop to the 200-day moving average (MA), currently located $8,139.
The 14-day relative strength index (RSI) is currently reporting bearish conditions with a below-50 reading. Further, the weekly moving average convergence divergence (MACD) histogram is hovering in bearish territory below zero.
Meanwhile, the 4-hour chart shows a failed breakout followed by a bearish lower high and a drop below key support of $9,855 earlier today.
So, the stage looks set for the test of $9,450 the lower edge of the contracting triangle. The immediate bearish case would weaken if prices rise above $10,458 (Sept. 13 high).
Disclosure:The author holds no cryptocurrency assetsat the time of writing.
Bitcoinimage via Shutterstock;charts byTrading View
See the original post here:
- Why Bitcoin Suddenly Dropped 6% on Thursday - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- First Mover: Negative Rates or More Money Printing Bitcoin May Benefit Either Way - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Exclusive: Borrowing Dollars Against Bitcoin And Crypto Is About To Get A Lot Easier - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin To $1,000,000 Might Sound Crazy, But Is It? - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Inactive Bitcoin Supply Reaches 4-Year High, Pointing to Bullish Sentiment - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Yahoo Finance - June 16th, 2020
- JPMorgan Analysts: Bitcoin Is Likely to Survive (as a Speculative Asset) - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Pentagon Documents Reveal The U.S. Has Planned For A Bitcoin Rebellion - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why 2020 Is a Great Year for Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Association Announces Bitcoin SV DevCon 2020 in Partnership with WeAreDevelopers and nChain - PRNewswire - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Realized Cap Hits $106B Record as Fear Returns to BTC Index - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Continues to Reject at $10,000 - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Encrypted Messaging Site Privnote Cloned to Steal Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitfinex Hackers Move Another $4.1 Million Bitcoin in Their Biggest Pay Day Yet | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin-Friendly Top US Banking Regulator Aims to Solve Banks' Problems With Decentralization | News - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- Forget Bitcoin! I'd rather get rich and retire early with cheap FTSE 100 stocks - Yahoo Finance UK - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is More Than an Inflation Hedge - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Developer Activity Surrounding Eos, Tron, and Bitcoin Cash Plummets - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin is becoming more trustworthy than big banks, says survey - Decrypt - June 16th, 2020
- Bullish? Popular Bitcoin Metric Ends Record 7 Weeks of Extreme Fear - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Hits Highest Level Since Black Thursday Amid Halving Buzz - CoinDesk - April 27th, 2020
- Analyst Tone Vays Predicts 12-Month Bitcoin (BTC) Trajectory, Says Three Factors Will Drive People Into Crypto - The Daily Hodl - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD ready to resume the recovery Confluence Detector - FXStreet - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Forms Super Predictive Golden Cross as Price Hits $7.5K - Bitcoinist - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies 10% Ahead of CME April Futures Expiration - CoinDesk - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hangs on to Key Support Level as Stocks and Oil Tip Over - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Kim Jong-uns $2,000,000,000 Bitcoin (BTC), Crypto and Fiat Fortune Suddenly in the Spotlight - The Daily Hodl - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin to the Rescue as Ron Paul Says US Fed Fake Economy Has Burst - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving explained: What is cryptocurrency event and will it boost price? - The Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trades at $15k in Lebanon Amidst Economic Turmoil, Showing Its Real Potential - newsBTC - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Tether Printer Divergence is Immensely Bullish; Here's Why - Bitcoinist - April 27th, 2020
- What Bitcoin SV signals to businesses, investors and social media - CoinGeek - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Email Scams 2020: Threatening Blackmail Tactics Used to Demand BTC | Featured - Bitcoin News - April 27th, 2020
- Ethereum, XRP, Litecoin Turn Bullish on Bitcoins Strong Performance - Crypto Briefing - April 27th, 2020
- Crypto Market Sentiment is Back Up; Bitcoin, Ether in the Positive Zone - Cryptonews - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Association Publishes First Annual Report Highlighting Rapid Growth of Bitcoin SV Ecosystem - PR Newswire UK - April 27th, 2020
- Mark Cuban and Tyler Winklevoss Squabble Over Bitcoin Complexity - Cointelegraph - April 17th, 2020
- Crypto Analyst Cautions Investors Against Bitcoin for 3 Key Reasons - Cointelegraph - April 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Halvening Cometh - Forbes - April 17th, 2020
- TOP 3 Bitcoin and Crypto News for Today: 17 April - U.Today - April 17th, 2020
- More Investors Are Holding Bitcoin Ahead of the Halving, Data Suggests - CoinDesk - April 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Follow Ethereum And Move to Proof-of-Stake, Says Bitcoin Suisse Founder - Cointelegraph - April 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Predicted to Go to $50,000 by Trading Guru Peter Brandt (but Don't Get Too Excited) - U.Today - April 17th, 2020
- Are Bitcoin Cash Miners Driving Up the Price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - April 17th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin Active Supply Touches 3-Year High, But What Does it Imply? - Bitcoinist - April 17th, 2020
- Another Bitcoin Mining Firm Warns COVID-19 Pandemic May Harm Its Business - CoinDesk - April 17th, 2020
- BTCPay Looks to Anonymize Bitcoin Transactions With PayJoin Integration - CoinDesk - April 17th, 2020
- Is 1 Bitcoin Enough for You to Retire On? This Analyst Thinks Yes - Bitcoinist - April 17th, 2020
- Ethereum leads the advances as bitcoin moves back above $7k - FXStreet - April 17th, 2020
- BTCPay Brings Two-Way Bitcoin Privacy To Thousands of Merchants - Cryptonews - April 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: The Storm Is Here Bitcoin Just Surged $550 In 90 Minutes To Over $7K, Whats Next? - CryptoPotato - April 17th, 2020
- With Inflation on the Way, Bitcoin (BTC) Could Soon Stand Out: CryptoCompare - The Daily Hodl - April 17th, 2020
- Blockchain technology: Redefining trust for a global ... - April 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Review: Bitcoin, Ether and 'Digital Gold' - CoinDesk - April 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Bull Case Strengthens After Breaching Price Hurdle at $7.1K - CoinDesk - April 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Ignores $2.3T Fed Cash as Pundit Warns of Sucker Rally - Cointelegraph - April 9th, 2020
- 3 Options for Traders as Bitcoin Price Is on the Verge of a Breakout - Cointelegraph - April 9th, 2020
- Former Hedge Fund Billionaire Picks Bitcoin Over Gold, Treasuries And The Dollar - Forbes - April 9th, 2020
- This Visa Card Gives Bitcoin Rewards on Dollars Spent - CoinDesk - April 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin, Stock Markets Rally on Signs of Hope in Pandemic - CoinDesk - April 9th, 2020
- Wealthiest Man in Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Is Now Worth $3.2 Billion Heres the New Rich List - The Daily Hodl - April 9th, 2020
- Crypto Today: Bitcoin bulls get ready for a weekend run to $8,000 - FXStreet - April 9th, 2020
- Travelex paid $2.3M in Bitcoin to get its systems back from hackers - The Next Web - April 9th, 2020
- Just One Major Cryptocurrency Is Outperforming Bitcoin Right Now And Its Climbing Fast - Forbes - April 9th, 2020
- Trillions in Coronavirus Stimulus Brings Out the Bitcoin Bulls - CoinDesk - April 9th, 2020
- Tim Draper: Pandemic Could Be The Tipping Point For Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - April 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Flips Bullish But Heres Why BTC Price May Still Hit $3.9K - Cointelegraph - April 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Scam Claims to Involve Prince Harry and Meghan Markle - Cointelegraph - April 9th, 2020
- 3 Major Developments That Will Change How You Use Bitcoin - Bitcoinist - April 9th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Works in Zimbabwe, It Works Everywhere - CoinDesk - April 9th, 2020
- The Price Of Gold And The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - April 9th, 2020
- $8.5K Then $3K This Traders Bitcoin Price Call Is Playing Out - Cointelegraph - April 9th, 2020
- Schnoor/Taproot Could Improve Bitcoin Privacy and Scaling - CoinDesk - April 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin price | index, chart and news | WorldCoinIndex - March 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Lost Roughly 50% Of Its Value In A Day - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Briefly Dips to 12-Month Low in Overnight Trading - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 16th, 2020
- Cyperpunk Myths and Bitcoin in Real Life with Udi Wetheimer - Coindesk - March 16th, 2020
- Despite Bitcoin Price Dips, Crypto Is a Safe Haven in the Middle East - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 16th, 2020
- New Bank Of England Governor Sent Bitcoin Buyers A Stark Warning - Forbes - March 16th, 2020