NewsOpinionColumnistsUsually the preserve of nerds and geeks, cryptocurrencies are now attracting interest from governments and major corporations, writes Jim Duffy
Thursday, 23rd July 2020, 4:45 pm
Studying sociology was a complete and utter waste of time, according my old shift sergeant in the polis. He was real stickler for tradition and crossing Ts and dotting Is. He wasnt a fan of those cops who entered the service with degrees and wanted to get into cushy department jobs as quickly as possible to get off shiftwork and off the street.
And of course, I was doing a second degree in thats right sociology. Well, to be fair, it was socio-economics and socio-linguistics, so it had some function. But not to him. Hey Duffy, tell us all wit a sub-culture really is. To his amusement and that of his fellow sergeants, I really had no clue. But I do now.
Right under our very noses, there is a sub-culture growing and bubbling away. I am part of it so I can relate to it. There are a whole grouping in Scottish society also part of this sub-culture too. It has meaning. It has interest. And it has the potential to make them millionaires. And that is the dangerous part of this particular sub-culture. Its called crypto, but you may simply know it as Bitcoin.
It didnt dawn on me that I was part of this sub-culture until I was watching a live-stream video from the CEO of one of the big cryptocurrencies. As I watched and listened, my attention was drawn to the scrolling comments sidebar.
Usually I ignore this fast-moving and irrelevant verbiage as it involves a lot of hype and fans love for the host of the webinar. Lots of to the moon and pictures and emojis or rockets and dollar signs. But, to my amazement up popped a well-known Scottish name telling the presenter that he loved him.
I felt a bit sick to be honest. It was all a bit sycophantic. But, it stopped me in my tracks as both he and me were part of the same sub-culture.
Like all sub-cultures, theres usually something deviant or subversive. In sociological terms, these are not as harsh as they appear. In short, it just means that they have different views from the norm and are usually grouped together, while communicating together in forums, chatrooms or less accessible platforms. Do I feel deviant? Yes, most certainly as the crypto geeks or movement has been sidelined for such a long time.
In 2018, the crypto scene burst into life reaching all-time highs. But, the gains made by investors and speculators fizzled out. And from that time, it has had to lick its wounds in a very bearish market place.
Nevertheless, it has moved on and while we all got back to ISAs, bonds, building society accounts and premium bonds, the crypto sub-culture has been busily beavering away. Actually developing software and infrastructure that could make a difference to our lives. And the lives of those in developing countries.
We are a group of nerds who have our own FTSE 100-style list of top crypto companies. We have exchanges where we can buy and sell and trade this crypto as it moves up and down just a regular market place. New companies come to the fore, while others mature and create value. We have an array of You-Tube influencers, who put out entertaining videos each day. We have tweets galore where folks chat on this coin or that coin. And so it goes on. But, while this sub-culture keeps busy and we dont shout from the rooftops about it, there is big change coming. And Im not happy.
Part of being part of a sub-culture is that feeling of being in it together. We are not quite accepted. Governments are wary of crypto. Banks have been sceptical and dismissive of this part of finance that undermines them and worries them at the same time. Big institutional investors want to stake their cash on trusted five-star funds, not crypto decentralised finance. And credit card providers and the likes of PayPal dont want involved with this sub-culture.
Until recently, that is... Now they are now all over it and my sub-culture will move from exactly that into mainstream. Yuck.
As I said, crypto has come along way. And with that progress, comes adoption and acceptance into new financial networks. Mastercard, PayPal and governments are now creating the policy plumbing for crypto to enter your lives.
Some of the magic will go
While my dirty little secret loses it sex appeal and moves out and upwards. Soon, you will be able to invest in companies you may have never heard of, but that are actually pretty big already.
Names such as Cardano, Reserve, VeChain and, of course, Bitcoin will at some point be offered by financial advisors within regulated funds. Disclaimer I invest in these. And here all the fun stops for me.
Sure, my sub-culture buddies stand to make some huge returns on their bags of crypto when it all goes mainstream. And the Lambo garages might be busy. But, I feel a little sadness or mixed feelings really. Yes, Im glad that the confidence we all had in crypto has been proven right and the geeks, nerds and hodlers, yes you read that right, will make a few bob. However, the genie will be out the sub-culture bottle and it will lose some of its magic as it moves to the high street.
So, if my old sergeant wants to know now what a sub-culture is, I can prattle on for a good hour on its genesis, hopes and fears, systems and processes, communication apparatus and a whole lot more. But, within 12 months, it will be gone and a new one will take its place.
Now thats something to look forward to
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this article on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.
Subscribe to scotsman.com and enjoy unlimited access to Scottish news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit http://www.scotsman.com/subscriptions now to sign up.
Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.
Go here to see the original:
- Tokenized Bitcoin on Ethereum Now Tops $1.1 B: Here's Why - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 25th, 2020
- 3 reasons why traders turned bullish after Bitcoin price surged to $10.7K - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoins Hit Exchanges as Bloomberg Touts Crypto and DeFi Hedge Fund Seeks $50M - CoinDesk - September 25th, 2020
- BitGo Is Bringing DeFi-Friendly Wrapped Bitcoin to the Tron Blockchain - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 25th, 2020
- Keiser Insists 'Bitcoin Inversely Correlated To USD Not Stock Markets' After Crypto Market Tumble | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Profit taking Bitcoin miners wont stop the next bull run: On-chain analyst - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- The Winklevosses have launched their bitcoin exchange in the UK - Wired.co.uk - September 25th, 2020
- Christies to sell its first non-fungible-token as part of epic Bitcoin artwork - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin-related ads are now streaming on Disney+ in some regions thanks to Zebpay - Cointelegraph - September 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency ETF by Nasdaq and Hashdex Approved to List on Bermuda Stock Exchange | Regulation - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- XSwap Started Yield Farming, The Highest APY Reaches 70,000% | Press release - Bitcoin News - September 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin sentiment at record lows Does it mean the price will go up? - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Its a bull trap! 3 key metrics forecast Bitcoin price rejection at $11K - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Bit Digital, Inc. Announced Officially to Cooperate with the World's Leading Bitcoin Colocation Partner In US - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Correlations Drive the Narrative - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin hardware devices need to improve to handle complex transactions - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoin Investors the Sane Ones as Federal Reserve Cheers Inflation, Price Nears $11K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 18th, 2020
- Why We Get Obsessed With Bitcoin - Decrypt - September 18th, 2020
- Tevoro.com Announces New Book Revealing What's Missing from Bitcoin, Ethereum and Other Cryptocurrencies - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Bank of England talks negative interest rates in best ad for Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Fed, oil and record hash rate: 5 things to know in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - September 18th, 2020
- Glen Oaks Escrow Announces It Assisted With Yet Another Bitcoin Transaction - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- India's Crypto Bill Omitted From Parliament Agenda While New Ban Report Appears - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000 Its All OverHeres Why - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Private Capital And Institutions Are Piling Into Bitcoin And Other Digital Assets But You Need To Know Where To Look - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Down Almost 10% Today, You'll Be Surprised to Hear What's Next - FX Empire - September 5th, 2020
- So Far, a Nice Rise But Not a Wild Runup for Bitcoin Since the May Halving Event - Digital Transactions - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 5th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 5th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 5th, 2020
- Research: New Malware Employs Tor and Bittorrent To Steal Bitcoin and Ether | Security - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Dump If Stocks Have Another COVID-19-Scale Crash? - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk Confirms Serious Russian Bitcoin Ransomware Attack On Tesla, Foiled By The FBI - Forbes - September 5th, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists announced to compete for USD $100,000 - PRNewswire - September 5th, 2020
- Max Keiser thinks Warren Buffett will move to Bitcoin soon - Cointelegraph - September 5th, 2020
- Major Swiss Insurer Adds Bitcoin and Ether Payments | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Shifts Funds From US Amid Inflation Fears, Bitcoin's New All-Time High Expected | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- No interim injunction over bitcoin account where damages would be adequate - Lexology - September 5th, 2020
- Venezuela's Bitcoin Use Soars Amid Hyperinflation: 3rd on Global Crypto Adoption Index | News - Bitcoin News - September 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin market index back to fear on 91st anniversary of 1929 crash - Cointelegraph - September 4th, 2020
- China Is No Threat To Bitcoin, Promises Foundry CEO After $100 Million Bitcoin Mining Bet - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- 3.5 Million+ Crypto Wallets Downloaded in July, Active Users up 110% in the Year | Wallets - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Here Are The Key Levels To Watch In Bitcoin - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Eating Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Fails After Breaking Through $12,000 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Fidelity Is A 1,000 Pound Bitcoin Gorilla In The Making - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin About to Explode? - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia Blocks Cryptocurrency Websites Ahead of Regulation | News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- USD has more room to fall 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - August 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin In The Early Stages Of A Bull Market, Crypto Wallet Data Reveals - Forbes - August 31st, 2020
- Federal Reserve's Major Policy Shift to 'Push Up Inflation' Could Send Bitcoin Price to $500K - Bitcoin News - August 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin balks as the Fed talks, DeFi surge continues: Weekly recap - Cointelegraph - August 31st, 2020
- $140,000 of North Korean Bitcoin Targeted by DoJ Starts Moving - Decrypt - August 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin 'maximalists' accused of 'shilling' an SEC-cleared token - Cointelegraph - August 31st, 2020
- SEC Redefines Accredited Investors to Include Those With Proven Knowledge | Regulation - Bitcoin News - August 31st, 2020
- First Mover: Binance's Shrinking Trading Spreads and Bitcoin's Jackson Hole Fizzle - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 31st, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: What Rising Inflation Could Mean for Bitcoin and the US Dollar - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 28th, 2020
- Digital Dollar To Be In Competition With Bitcoin - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Fidelity Is A 1000 Pound Bitcoin Gorilla In The Making - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Tyler Winklevoss says US Fed is the biggest booster of Bitcoin price - Cointelegraph - August 28th, 2020
- New Binance Exclusive Reveals The Bitcoin Exchange Might Have A Serious Problem - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Explanation of the Stock to Flow Model as Bitcoin Pulls Back - Market Insights - TradeStation Market Insights - August 28th, 2020
- Here's Why Bitcoin Is A Must In Your Portfolio - Seeking Alpha - August 28th, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips to $11.6K, ETH Options Predict Price Below $400 by End of Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 28th, 2020
- Fed, futures and fundamentals: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - August 28th, 2020
- I would never invest one cent in Bitcoin, says Ryanair CEO - Cointelegraph - August 28th, 2020
- Re-Mining Simulation Shows Satoshi Used a Single High-End PC to Mine 1.1M Bitcoin - Bitcoin News - August 28th, 2020
- IMF Publishes Cryptocurrency Explainer, Saying It 'Could Be the Next Step in the Evolution of Money' | News - Bitcoin News - August 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin's presence in South Florida is growing - Key West Florida Weekly - August 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin price, charts, market cap, and other metrics ... - August 15th, 2020
- TradingView Confirms It: People Love Bitcoin And Tesla - Cointelegraph - August 15th, 2020