Im reviewing the 2010s in Bitcoin. This is the story about 2019 in Bitcoin. Read about 2018here.
2019 saw Wyoming enact sound blockchain legislation, Bakkt launch, and further normalization of Bitcoin into global financial markets. Heres 2019 in Bitcoin.
Wyomings Blockchain Legislation
The biggest news story of 2019 could very well be the work done in the State of Wyoming towards robust and progressive blockchain legislation. Establishing itself as the only US state to provide a comprehensive, welcoming legal framework that enables blockchain technology to flourish, as Caitlin Long wrote on Forbes.com, Wyoming enacted in March altogether 13 blockchain-friendly laws.
Long, who is a Forbes Senior Contributor and co-founder of the Wyoming Blockchain Coalition, worked with legislators and senators, such as Wyoming State Representative, Tyler Lindholm, Senator Ogden Driskill, and Senator Tara Nethercott, on the bills.
Wyoming spotted an opportunity to lead in this field last year, and realized it had just as many advantages in competing for this nascent industry as any other place - and more so, Long explained. Blockchain is software, so its global. A line of code doesnt care who wrote it or where it was written. As Joe Lubin said when he spoke at WyoHackathon last fall, theres no reason why the next Google cant be here in Wyoming."
Long explained: In a nutshell, thats what Wyoming has now done for blockchain technology.
Wyomings move put it at the forefront of digital asset regulation in the U.S., with over a dozen other U.S. states, as well as Congress, considering implementing Wyoming-inspired legislation. The laws recognized direct property rights for digital asset owners, created a regulatory sandbox, and authorized a new state-chartered depository institution that provides basic banking services to blockchain and other businesses. The bank must keep 100% reserves, cannot give out loans, and is available only to business depositors. The laws also enabled Wyoming banks to act as a digital asset custodian.
Wyoming now classifies digital assets in three categories, including digital securities, digital assets, and virtual currencies. Cryptocurrencies in the state are therefore treated as money.
The Bitcoin symbol looms over Bitcoin Conference 2019.
Bakkt, a Bitcoin futures trading exchange, launched on September 23. On the first day of trading on ICE Futures U.S., there was strong industry participation in Bakkt Bitcoin Futures and the [October 2019] monthly contract had the tightest bid-offer spreads in the market, which was an exciting achievement, a Bakkt spokesperson told Forbes.com contributor Benjamin Pirus. As the only end-to-end regulated market for digital assets, Bakkt Bitcoin Futures will play a key role in bringing greater price discovery and risk management to the [b]itcoin market.
Bakkts CEO, Kelly Loeffler, was appointed in December to a seat in the US Senate representing Georgia. She was just the second woman in the states history to hold the position.
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) picked Loeffler for a seat occupied by U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson (R), who retired at years end due to health issues. Loeffler is to be sworn into office on Jan 1. 2020, and plans to run in the next primary election to maintain her seat. Loeffler stepped down as Bakkt CEO before taking the oath of office, becomes the second woman in the state's history to hold the position.
The day after the launch, the price of Bitcoin fell more than $1,000.
BSDEX Introduces Bitcoin Trading Platform
The second-largest German Stock Exchange, Brse Stuttgart, introduced a regulated bitcoin trading platform. It is Germanys first regulated trading venue for digital assets where investors orders are executed directly against each other according to fixed rules, explained Brse Stuttgart Digital Exchange GmbH.
As of now, selected users in Germany can connect directly to the trading venue, where they can trade the bitcoin-euro pair initially, reads a press release. BSDEX will open over time to retail and institutional investors.
BSDEX will give retail and institutional investors direct access to digital assets and provide flexible and relatively low-cost trading, said Peter Grosskopf, CTO at Boerse Stuttgart Digital Exchange GmbH.
Bitcoin Cant Die
Patrick McHenry, a US Congressman from the 10th District of North Carolina, shared thoughts on how Bitcoin cant die and Facebooks Libra is a copycat coin.
I think theres no capacity to kill Bitcoin, he said. Even the Chinese with their Firewall and their extreme intervention on their society cannot kill Bitcoin. So, distributed ledger, full and open, in the essence of Bitcoin, as a first mover in the space, the developer of this technology  My point here is, you cant kill Bitcoin.
He added: New iterations of this, that are trying to mimic it, they are not fully distributed, they are not fully open, there are different mechanisms to kill it...the essence of Bitcoin is what Facebook and Libra, and other corporations are trying to mimic.
Happy New Year!
- Bitcoin Price Climbs to $9,500 After Third Higher High in One Week - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Aint What It Used To Be, Pioneer Investor Says - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Why Tomorrows Monthly Close In Bitcoin Could Be Its Most Critical Yet - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- This is the right amount of bitcoin to keep in an investment portfolio - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Still Too Early To Declare Longer-Term Bitcoin Trend Change - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies to Near $9150 as Stocks Drop Over Coronavirus Fears - Coindesk - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Eyes Best January Close in 7 Years After 30% Price Increase - Coindesk - January 30th, 2020
- Do or Die For Bitcoin Bears: Its The Most Critical Period For BTC - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Exchange LocalBitcoins - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator That Called 2019 Bull Run Flashes Green Again - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Different Type of Shakeout Trader Says Bitcoin Unlikely to Hit $6K - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Above $9K Today - Bitcoinist - January 30th, 2020
- Yang in the Oval Office Is Bitcoins Only Chance of Reaching Critical Mass - CCN.com - January 30th, 2020
- This Bitcoin Competitor Pumped 272% And a Self-Proclaimed Inventor of BTC Says He Knows Why - The Daily Hodl - January 30th, 2020
- No Virus Woes for Bitcoin as It Climbs to Highest Since November - Bloomberg - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Risk-Return a Different Beast Compared to Amazon: Analyst - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- A Massive 500 Bitcoin Sell Order Hits Binance For First Time in a While, Heres What It Means - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoins 15% Weekly Gain Could Send Ethereum Flying: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Nothing Special Bitcoin Slumps 6% on Coronavirus, Chinese New Year - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- BitMEX Open Interest Hitting $1B Could Be Bullish for Bitcoin This Time - newsBTC - January 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Fades: What's Next? - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Elon Musk Reveals His True Opinion on Bitcoin and Crypto - Cointelegraph - January 30th, 2020
- Crypto Price Analysis & Overview January 30th: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Monero, and IOTA. - CryptoPotato - January 30th, 2020
- The Invisible Global Currency Thats 24 Times Bigger Than Bitcoin - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst Expects Altcoins to Suffer With Launch of Bitcoin Options: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- Dash Surges by Over 16% as Bitcoin Price Hovers at $8,100 - Cointelegraph - January 13th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Will Be Golden in 2020 Thanks to Limited Supply, Increasing Use: Bloomberg Report - CoinDesk - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rockets Over $8,000 As Ripples XRP, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, And Litecoin Suddenly Soar [Updated] - Forbes - January 13th, 2020
- Bitfinex Premium Goes Negative; Last Time it Did, Bitcoin Fell 30% in 3 Months - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC/USD struggles to sustain the $8,100 level - FXStreet - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst: Bitcoin to Target $9,500 Due to A Few Key Factors - Ethereum World News - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Primed For Fresh Rally And Only 1 Thing Is Holding It Back - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- 60% of Bitcoins havent moved for more than a year - Yahoo Finance - January 13th, 2020
- Libra Association Exec: World Needs Us Because Bitcoin Is 'Not a Means of Payment' - CoinDesk - January 13th, 2020
- Ethereum could be undervalued compared to Bitcoin: analyst - AMBCrypto - January 13th, 2020
- New Bitcoin Addresses Averaged At 124 Million Since 2017: Data - Bitcoinist - January 13th, 2020
- US and European Regulators Say Crypto a Priority This Year - Bitcoin News - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Could Take Centre Stage at the 2020 NBA All Star Game, With Your Help - newsBTC - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin And Everything It Has Done For The World So Far - CryptoPotato - January 13th, 2020
- What good is Bitcoin if the Internet fails? - Decrypt - January 13th, 2020
- Forget gold and Bitcoin! I'd invest regularly in FTSE 100 shares in an ISA to make a million - Yahoo Finance UK - January 13th, 2020
- Independent Report Declares News.Bitcoin.com the Top Crypto News Site - Bitcoin News - January 13th, 2020
- Why Proof of Reserves Is Important to Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoins transaction fee 426x more than Litecoin in 2019 - AMBCrypto - January 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Rise Above $20,000 In 2020, Says Bitpays Singh - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- Why The Bitcoin Price Could Hit $50,000 In 2020 - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- No, Bitcoin Isnt Going For Anywhere Near $24,000 In IranHeres Why - Forbes - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is In Steep Downtrend, But This Variable Can Trigger A New Rally - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Got Rejected at $8,400, And It Means a Big Fall Ahead - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Ransomwares Year-End Thank You Note To Bitcoin - Law360 - January 10th, 2020
- Why Proof of Reserves Is Important to Bitcoin - Nasdaq - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Accepted: This Rapper Welcomes BTC Payments and HODLs - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bull Run: 3 Reasons Why BTC Will Continue to Surge - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Flashes Signs of Starting a Massive Bull Run, But One Key Hurdle Remains - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Can digital gold Bitcoin ever be mined in India? - ETCIO.com - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Starts Corrective Decrease But Bulls Not Out Of Woods Yet - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Federal Reserve Have One Thing in Common, According to CNBC's Guy Adami - U.Today - January 10th, 2020
- The Recipe that Causes Bitcoin to Rise: Economic and Geopolitical Uncertainty - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Compared to Tesla (TSLA) by Prominent Investor. Elon Musk Won't Like It - U.Today - January 10th, 2020
- Heres What Must Happen for $9K Bitcoin Price in the Coming Months - Cointelegraph - January 10th, 2020
- These Factors Signal that Bitcoin is Just Taking a Breather Before Another Rally - Ethereum World News - January 10th, 2020
- Why Analysts Think Bitcoins Surge to $7,450 is Just the Beginning - newsBTC - January 10th, 2020
- New crisis in the Middle East: Good for bitcoin, bad for the world - Decrypt - January 10th, 2020
- How Dropgangs and Dead Drops Are Transforming Darknet Practices - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2020
- This Company Sets Out to Prove Crypto Mining Has a Place in Your Home - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin price | index, chart and news | WorldCoinIndex - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Today Live Bitcoin Value - Charts & Market ... - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Live, Bitcoin Chart , BTC Value Today, BTC ... - January 5th, 2020
- 2020 predictions for bitcoin, Libra, and the digital yuan - Quartz - January 5th, 2020
- U.S. Assassination Of A Major Iranian Official Poses An Unprecedented Test Of Bitcoins Role As A Safe Haven Asset - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin is on the Cusp of a Major Price Movement - Crypto Briefing - January 5th, 2020
- Happy Birthday Bitcoin! Here's a Look at Bitcoin's 11th Year by the Numbers - Bitcoin Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Could Rally to $9K Before a Massive Collapse, Heres Why - Cointelegraph - January 5th, 2020
- Why 2020 will be the best year yet for Bitcoins Lightning Network - Decrypt - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Reversed And Its Likely Heading $7,400 - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020