Collins Aerospaces new president, Interiors, Troy Brunk is convinced the airline passenger experience as we know it will change in a post-pandemic world. Whether that new reality includes long-term social distancing on board remains to be seen, but its here for a spell.
The only thing we know for certain is that as long as COVID-19 remains an issue for the world, social distancing is here to stay for a while. I dont want to guess what that means for the long-term, he told Runway Girl Network, when asked if onboard social distancing will continue after aviation gets back to business.
What I can say with certainty is that the flight experience as we know it will change and well be there creating what our passengers need every step of the way helping our customers help their customers.
A growing number of airlines are blocking seats and spacing passengers apart to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Consumer advocacy group Flyers Rights is calling for IATA and ICAO to publish best practices for facilitating onboard physical distancing, arming flight attendants with M-95 masks and ensuring all passengers don masks, among other proposed measures.
Now a unit of Raytheon Technologies, Collins Aerospace is a premier provider of aircraft interiors, including economy and premium seats, lavatories, and systems for waste, oxygen and potable water. As such, the company is well positioned to aid in the aviation industrys recovery. Indeed, this is a key topic of discussion not only within the Interiors business but across the entire organization, says Brunk.
However, new products and solutions take time to develop and get certified. Were certainly looking at those future concepts but right now our first priority is to help the airlines make the changes they need to keep passengers safe in a financially strained environment. For example, helping them explore seat configuration changes with existing equipment, and new measures to deal with social distancing requirements.
In recent weeks, aircraft interiors stakeholders have tabled a number of intriguing ideas to support social distancing on board. Italian firm Aviointeriors is proposing forwards-backwards seating with a wraparound shell layout that includes a head-level transparent thermoplastic screen. HAECO, which in 2019 dbuted its Eclipse staggered-angled hybrid seat, suggests that Eclipse offers unmatched privacy, safety and social distance as onboard social distancing is adopted by airlines.
Noting that the future of aircraft interiors will require more means of providing passengers with piece of mind that their journey will be comfortable, safe and sanitized, thermoplastics specialist SIMONA Boltaron suggests that new cabin concepts, as well as retrofitted aircraft seats, will feature privacy and safety dividers that separate passengers and can be cleaned frequently. Boltaron is pushing forward its Boltaron 4350 translucent and transparent materials, which meet crucial flammability requirements and can be thermoformed to provide a safety barrier without sacrificing regulatory compliance or aesthetics.
For its part, Collins Aerospace has done a lot of research in this area with its innovations throughout the cabin, from nose to tail. Looking at innovations to reduce interaction through touch, innovations for surfaces we have to touch and innovations that positively impact the environment inside an aircraft are all areas our engineering organizations are exploring, Brunk tells RGN.
In terms of whether Collins Aerospace has any IP that might prove useful in a post-pandemic world that perhaps didnt suit the market before, Brunk says: We are always looking into future technologies, the associated IP and the market timing. I dont necessarily think that suitability has changed, I think about it more from a market timing standpoint. I am convinced that the post COVID-19 environment is more likely to accelerate market entry points for many of these innovations.
Meanwhile, Collins Aerospace and more broadly, Raytheon Technologies is still helping to fight the spread of COVID-19. From an Interiors perspective, our team has been actively involved in producing 3D print headbands for face shields. This is part of a larger Raytheon Technologies effort to produce nearly 2,500 headbands a week, says Brunk.
Im particularly proud that these are being produced at some of our Interiors sites including Bohemia, NY, Everett, WA, Colorado Springs, CO, Nogales, Mexico, Savannah, GA, New Berlin, WI, Phoenix, AZ, Peshtigo, WI and Kilkeel, Northern Ireland which has also been producing hospital scrub kits for medical workers. Its been extremely gratifying to see the great work that our team is doing.
He says the team has also been been witnessing many individual stories of employees volunteering their time and effort throughout the entire organization.
Collins Aerospace is also working closely in an advisory capacity with our airline customers as they transition passenger aircraft to all-cargo flight missions. There are however, other parts of the Collins organization that are involved as well, including our Information Management Services group which is helping with humanitarian flights and waiving fees for those efforts, notes Brunk, who recently succeeded Dave Nieuwsma as president, Interiors, reporting to Collins Aerospace president Stephen Timm.
As an essential business, has Collins Aerospace scaled down any of its interiors production operations?
As you know, the commercial aerospace industry has been hit hard by COVID-19 and we arent immune to that, responds the Collins Aerospace executive. We are currently working closely with our airlines and OEMs to adjust to this new reality. I cant get into specifics at this time, but I would expect that well hear more about the impact in the May 7th earnings update from Raytheon Technologies.
- The lies told by the Black Lives Matter movement - July 6th, 2020
- Exposing The Black Lives Matter Movement For What It Is ... - July 6th, 2020
- Far-Right US Facebook Groups Pivot to Attacks on Black Lives Matter - Voice of America - July 6th, 2020
- OK, we've agreed that Black lives matter. Now what? - Los Angeles Times - July 6th, 2020
- NBA, players agree to Black Lives Matter and other messages to wear on jerseys - Tampa Bay Times - July 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter movement finds new urgency and allies because of COVID-19 - The Conversation CA - July 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter protest on wheels rolls through New Bedford - SouthCoastToday.com - July 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Mural Painted By Evanston Township H.S. Boys Basketball Team Splattered With Paint; They Believe It Was Defaced - CBS Chicago - July 6th, 2020
- How Black Lives Matter transformed the Fourth of July - CNN - July 6th, 2020
- WATCH NOW: Black Lives Matter protests in Martinsville area have brought together inspired youth of today with the veterans of racial injustice -... - July 6th, 2020
- 'Shut Down the Oceanfront': Black Lives Matter 757 holds rally in response to ongoing racial injustices - wtkr.com - July 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter holds '4th of You Lie' Rally and March - WWAY NewsChannel 3 - July 6th, 2020
- Afro Latinx and Black Lives Matter : Alt.Latino - NPR - July 6th, 2020
- Indians are being held up as a model minority. That's not helping the Black Lives Matter movement - CNN - July 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter demonstration disrupted by third-party - WPTV.com - July 6th, 2020
- Martin Luther King III on a Pivotal Wave of Black Lives Matter Protests - The New York Times - July 6th, 2020
- Fact check: Before Obama there was no Black Lives Matter, but there was ISIS and antifa - USA TODAY - July 6th, 2020
- One hundred people attend Black Lives Matter rally in Hay River - CBC.ca - July 6th, 2020
- Aerospace Additive Manufacturing Market 2020 Global analysis, opportunities and forecast to 2026 | By Top Leading Vendors like Stratasys, 3D Systems,... - June 21st, 2020
- Coming up: AM in Aerospace webinars to add to your calendar - 3DPMN - June 21st, 2020
- Why Boeing and Aerospace Suppliers Are Up Today - The Motley Fool - June 21st, 2020
- Global Aerospace, Defence and Space Market with Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Top Key Players |... - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact Aerospace Bearings Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2027 - Medic... - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace Insulation Market Size Worth $12.28 Billion By 2027: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - June 21st, 2020
- Global Aerospace Epoxy Market Demand Analysis and Projected huge Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- $279 Million Worldwide Shortwave Infrared Industry to 2025 - Featuring Collins Aerospace, Flir Systems & Xenics Among Others -... - June 21st, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Global Aerospace Bolts Market Growth and Demand, Projected MarketResearchStore - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace Filter Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth by 2017 to 2022 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 21st, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact Aerospace Metal Closed-die Forging Market Steady Growth to Be Witnessed by 2019-2031 - Farmers Ledger - June 21st, 2020
- Collins Aerospace develops process to convert passenger jets to cargo jets - The Gazette - June 21st, 2020
- US Needs New Policies With Move To Cislunar: Aerospace Corp. - Breaking Defense - June 21st, 2020
- Global Aerospace Materials Market is anticipated to reach the growing at a CAGR of 6.8% during the forecast period 2019- 2025 - Medic Insider - June 21st, 2020
- Military Aerospace Simulation and Training Market to Discern Magnified Growth During 2020 to 2029 - Owned - June 21st, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence and Robotics in Aerospace and Defense Industry Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis, Market Shares & Forecast... - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace and Military Auxiliary Power Units MARKET RESEARCH REPORT 2020-2025 | ALSO UNDERSTAND THE IMPACT OF COVID-19 SITUATION ACROSS THE GLOBE -... - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace and Defense Telemetry Market 2020 Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Research into flexible aircraft wing surfaces at DLR - Aerospace Testing International - June 21st, 2020
- (2020-2025) Aerospace Industry Paint Market Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Trends, Developments and Forecast - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025 | Airbus Glonatech Flight Shield Lockheed Martin Lufthansa Technik tripleO Performance... - May 19th, 2020
- UAVenture Capital announces a spin-off of FreeFall Aerospace to form a new 5G company: FreeFall 5G - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- What will drive the Howmet Aerospace Inc share price higher? - Yahoo Finance UK - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace Hose And Tube Assemblies Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace Manufacturing Software Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace and Defense Telemetry Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole... - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace And Life Science TIC Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Building the wings of tomorrow - Aerospace Manufacturing - May 19th, 2020
- Why Would This Aerospace Company Survive? - Motley Fool - May 19th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Foams Market Size, Share, Growth Drivers, Regional Analysis and forecasts to 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace And Life Sciences Testing, Inspection, And Certification Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to... - May 19th, 2020
- Metallurgy Additive Manufacturing for Aerospace Market Anticipated Forecast 2026 In Key Regions World (United States, International Organization And... - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace Carbon Fiber Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Couplers Market Research Report 2020 By Size,Share, Trends and Analysis up to 2025. - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Raising the FDI cap and other incentives in Aerospace and Defence Industry Challenges ahead - - Defence Aviation Post - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace Thermal Management System Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- People & Profit - Aerospace in crisis: Safran boss warns of job cuts, need for bailout - FRANCE 24 - May 19th, 2020
- 9 Plane Crashes That Changed the Course of the Aerospace History - Interesting Engineering - May 19th, 2020
- SME's Composites Manufacturing Tech Group Recognizes Leaders in Aerospace and Defense Manufacturing: Kurtis Willden, Receives With the 2020 JH Jud... - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace engineering - Wikipedia - May 18th, 2020
- How Much Federal Aid Will US Aerospace Sector Get, And What Strings Will Be Attached? - Aviation Week - May 18th, 2020
- 3D Printing Titanium in Aerospace Manufacturing Applications - AZoM - May 18th, 2020
- Aerospace Grade Aluminum Alloys Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - ZZReport - May 18th, 2020
- Aerospace Industry Semi-Finished Rubber Materials Market Research, Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2025 - ZZReport - May 18th, 2020
- Insight: Liebherr-Aerospace working hand-in-hand with Boeing - Aerospace Manufacturing - May 18th, 2020
- Thornton Tomasetti Targets Aerospace Sector with New VP - ConnectCRE - May 18th, 2020
- Leading Aerospace and Defense Contractor Amentum Partners With IFS to Optimize Technology Offerings for Mission-Critical Customers - AviationPros.com - May 18th, 2020
- Girls Scouts of Northern Illinois receives $2900 grant from Collins Aerospace - Northwest Herald - May 18th, 2020
- 7 Nonprofits On The Front Lines Of Cannabis Progress - Benzinga - May 11th, 2020
- Ending the Flynn False-Statement Case Was the Right Judgment - National Review - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global Semiconductor in Aerospace and Military Market by Key Players, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2059 - Latest... - May 1st, 2020
- We Wouldnt Rely On China Aerospace International Holdingss (HKG:31) Statutory Earnings As A Guide - Simply Wall St - May 1st, 2020
- Howmet Aerospace creating up to 75 new jobs - Canton Repository - May 1st, 2020
- Stevens Aerospace announces relocation to facility in Smyrna - Daily News Journal - May 1st, 2020
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market 2020, COVID 19 Breakdown Impact, Industry, Global Trends, Size, Applications, Share, Sale, Growth Insight, New... - May 1st, 2020
- Covid-19 and the current defence aerospace opportunity - Airforce Technology - May 1st, 2020
- Aerospace Adhesives Market 2020-2027 Global Review and Outlook (Based on 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide Spread) Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- How an aerospace manufacturer shifted its operations to make reusable face shields for Baltimore medical workers - Technical.ly DC - May 1st, 2020
- Aerospace Maintenance Chemical Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Aerospace Inconel Blisk Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact Trends in the Aerospace & Life Sciences TIC Market 2019-2033 - 3rd Watch News - May 1st, 2020
- Artemis completes divesture of Adcole Maryland Aerospace to AEI - Aerospace Technology - May 1st, 2020