Friday, April 3, marks the first day of share trading for the merged enterprise of Raytheon and United Technologies, to be known as Raytheon Technologies. Otis and Carrier, the two non-aerospace, non-defense businesses formerly part of United Technologies, are being spun off. What remains is a more coherent enterprise that will, as CEOs Tom Kennedy and Greg Hayes have argued, define the future of aerospace and defense.
This is not the first time Raytheon and United Technologies (contributors to my think tank) have undergone corporate transformations. United Technologies began its history as United Aircraft after the government in 1934 forced the breakup of a trust that included Boeing and United Airlines. It became a multi-industry conglomerate under CEO Harry Gray in the 1970s, and now under Greg Hayes has returned to its roots in aviation.
Raytheon traces its origins to the dawn of home radio in the 1920s, and it too grew into an industrial conglomerate (Amana radar ranges among other lines) before bulking up on defense at the end of the Cold War. Its defense portfolio eventually included the products of such legendary military contractors as Hughes Aircraft and E-Systems, while its commercial lines were sold off.
It is one of lifes little ironies that when Harry Gray acquired Otis, Carrier and other commercial enterprises to fashion United Technologies in the 1970s, he was trying to reduce his companys dependence on military business. A generation later, the companys commercial fortunes had improved so much that what the business mix most needed was a bigger role in defensewhich is what Raytheon delivers.
Raytheon Technologies will provide engines, weapons, sensors, displays and other items for all three ... [+] variants of the F-35 fighter.
The newly-minted Raytheon Technologies (stock symbol: RTX) really will transform the aerospace and defense landscape, becoming a dominant global supplier to military, commercial and civil customers. To grasp why surprises like the coronavirus pandemic will not be able to hold it back, analysts need to understand the new enterprises five core features: scale, focus, depth, diversity and resilience.
Scale: United Technologies already was a big player in defense before the merger, thanks to the defense electronics work of Collins Aerospace and the growing military footprint of engine-maker Pratt & Whitney. Raytheon was one of the biggest military contractors in the world, selling missiles and sensors to all U.S. military branches and many overseas allies.
When those military lines are combined with the robust commercial portfolios of Collins and Pratt in the merged enterprise, what emerges is the second-biggest aerospace and defense company in the world. With $74 billion in pro forma (pre-coronavirus) sales, Raytheon Technologies isnt just big: it is the number-one or number-two global supplier in most of its addressed markets, from jet engines to radars to cockpit displays to ejection seats to missiles.
Focus: Despite its complex portfolio of products, there is an underlying unity to the competencies of the merged enterprise. In the simplest terms, Raytheon Technologies is an electronics and propulsion company. Moreover, its electronic and propulsion skills are applied mainly to aerospace marketsnot just on planes and missiles, but in air traffic control, in satellite constellations, and in communications networks.
The underlying unity of the enterprise will enable Raytheon Technologies to offer its myriad products in bundles that competitors have trouble matching. For example, on a Boeing 787, it provides electrical power, environmental controls, fuel measurement, braking, displays, lighting, seating, oxygen, fire suppression, thrust reversers, and cargo systems. On military missions like missile defense, the company can offer weapons, sensors, communications, battle management and logistics.
Depth: Raytheon Technologies will have 300,000 employees, the vast majority of whom are highly skilled (production of commodity items was outsourced years ago). That includes over 60,000 engineers working at the cutting edge of aerospace and defense technology, often with high-level clearances in the case of military work. No other aerospace company in the world surpasses the new enterprise in the depth or breadth of its competencies.
For instance, no other company has brought geared turbofan engines to market, a technology that is inherently more efficient that conventional turbofans. No other company has developed a fighter engine for the military combining the performance features and stealth of that on the F-35 fighter. And no other company in the defense sector can claim broader expertise in digital radar, electronic warfare, hypersonic weapons and cybersecurity. A senior Raytheon executive told me this week that planners expect a rapid acceleration in innovation arising out of the new enterprises technical depth and resources.
Diversity. In order to be a leading player in global aerospace, an enterprise needs to reach all major markets across the full breadth of the product life-cycle. It is not enough to be the original equipment manufacturer of world-class engines, because most revenues and returns are generated in the aftermarket. And it is not enough to be a leader in military avionics, because defense demand periodically turns downusually just about the time commercial demand is picking up.
It may not even be enough to dominate the U.S. market for aerospace goods and services. Most aerospace demand originates outside the U.S., so economies of scale demand a presence in both domestic and foreign markets. When Raytheon Technologies states it has a balanced and diversified A&D portfolio, part of what the company is saying is that it operates successfully in diverse marketscommercial and military, domestic and international, original equipment and aftermarket. That vast presence will enable the merged enterprise to smooth out revenues and returns despite the cyclical ups and downs in each market segment.
Resilience. If an enterprise has scale, focus, depth and diversity, then it will probably have one other quality desired by shareholders and customers: resilience. Resilience has become a popular word in the Pentagon as military planners begin to grasp the challenges posed by a rising China. Many defense preparations that once seemed dependable, such as military space capabilities, now look vulnerable. Coronavirus is just the latest black swan warning to policymakers and investors that over the long run, only the strong survive.
The enterprise emerging from integration of Raytheon and United Technologies will be more resilient than either company was separately. Of course, it helps to start with solid building blocks; Raytheon was recently ranked by Fortune magazine as the most respected A&D company in the world. The combined enterprise will be even more formidable.
And while business conditions have changed a lot since the merger was first disclosed, in some ways the changes make a more compelling case for getting together. Nobody was saying much about sector consolidation a year ago. Now Raytheon Technologies may stand out as the first, and best, in a series of major consolidation moves making companies more able to cope with difficult market conditions.
Follow this link:
- What's Trending in Aerospace - July 5, 2020 - Aviation Today - July 10th, 2020
- Aerospace Industry Presses Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Value of Aerospace Oxygen System Market Predicted to Surpass US$ by the of 2017 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Aerospace Industry Measuring Arms Augmented Expansion to be Registered by 2019-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Aerospace Thermoplastics Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | BASF SE, SABIC, Solvay SA, Victrex plc, DIC Corporation -... - July 10th, 2020
- Aerospace Industry Turning Tools Market 2019 By Advancements, Application, Challenges, Trends, Top Key Players, Growth & Forecast Till 2024 - Cole... - July 10th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on EDA in Aerospace and Defense Market 2020 Revenue Status & Forecast Report 2027 | Agnisys ,Ansys - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Aerospace and defence sectors warn negotiators over Brexit - The Irish Times - July 10th, 2020
- KKIP Aerospace starts training programme for aviation technicians - The Star Online - July 10th, 2020
- Mark Drakeford shares Welsh Government's 'disappointment' that support for aerospace industry was not mentioned in summer statement - LeaderLive - July 10th, 2020
- Global Advanced Aerospace Materials Market Future Growth Analysis, Business Demand And 2024 Opportunities - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Aerospace Industry Inspection Machines Market: Comprehensive Analysis of Factors That Drive Aerospace Industry Inspection Machines Market Growth (2019... - July 10th, 2020
- Aerospace Bearings Market Analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 10th, 2020
- Aerospace Industry Furnaces Market Size Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Revenue Status, Future Opportunities and Demand by Top 10 Global Players -... - July 10th, 2020
- Middle East and Africa Aerospace Adhesives and Sealants Market to Show Incredible Growth by 2025 | COVID-19 Analysis - Daily Research Chronicles - July 10th, 2020
- Aerospace Tapes Market Application Analysis by 2025 Cole of Duty - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Aerospace Hose and Tube Assemblies Market (impact of COVID-19) to See Massive Growth by 2026| Ametek, Inc., Eaton Corporation, Flexfab, LLC, ITT Inc.,... - July 10th, 2020
- This Aerospace Powerhouse Will Double Your Money (and Seriously Upgrade Your Vacations) - Money Morning - July 10th, 2020
- Taiwan: Supporting the Next Generation of Aerospace Manufacturing - Modern Machine Shop - July 10th, 2020
- Exposing The Black Lives Matter Movement For What It Is ... - July 6th, 2020
- OK, we've agreed that Black lives matter. Now what? - Los Angeles Times - July 6th, 2020
- NBA, players agree to Black Lives Matter and other messages to wear on jerseys - Tampa Bay Times - July 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter protest on wheels rolls through New Bedford - SouthCoastToday.com - July 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Mural Painted By Evanston Township H.S. Boys Basketball Team Splattered With Paint; They Believe It Was Defaced - CBS Chicago - July 6th, 2020
- How Black Lives Matter transformed the Fourth of July - CNN - July 6th, 2020
- WATCH NOW: Black Lives Matter protests in Martinsville area have brought together inspired youth of today with the veterans of racial injustice -... - July 6th, 2020
- 'Shut Down the Oceanfront': Black Lives Matter 757 holds rally in response to ongoing racial injustices - wtkr.com - July 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter holds '4th of You Lie' Rally and March - WWAY NewsChannel 3 - July 6th, 2020
- Afro Latinx and Black Lives Matter : Alt.Latino - NPR - July 6th, 2020
- Indians are being held up as a model minority. That's not helping the Black Lives Matter movement - CNN - July 6th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter demonstration disrupted by third-party - WPTV.com - July 6th, 2020
- Martin Luther King III on a Pivotal Wave of Black Lives Matter Protests - The New York Times - July 6th, 2020
- Fact check: Before Obama there was no Black Lives Matter, but there was ISIS and antifa - USA TODAY - July 6th, 2020
- One hundred people attend Black Lives Matter rally in Hay River - CBC.ca - July 6th, 2020
- Aerospace Additive Manufacturing Market 2020 Global analysis, opportunities and forecast to 2026 | By Top Leading Vendors like Stratasys, 3D Systems,... - June 21st, 2020
- Coming up: AM in Aerospace webinars to add to your calendar - 3DPMN - June 21st, 2020
- Why Boeing and Aerospace Suppliers Are Up Today - The Motley Fool - June 21st, 2020
- Global Aerospace, Defence and Space Market with Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Top Key Players |... - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact Aerospace Bearings Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2027 - Medic... - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace Insulation Market Size Worth $12.28 Billion By 2027: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - June 21st, 2020
- Global Aerospace Epoxy Market Demand Analysis and Projected huge Growth by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- $279 Million Worldwide Shortwave Infrared Industry to 2025 - Featuring Collins Aerospace, Flir Systems & Xenics Among Others -... - June 21st, 2020
- Covid-19 Lockdown Impact On Global Aerospace Bolts Market Growth and Demand, Projected MarketResearchStore - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace Filter Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth by 2017 to 2022 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 21st, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact Aerospace Metal Closed-die Forging Market Steady Growth to Be Witnessed by 2019-2031 - Farmers Ledger - June 21st, 2020
- Collins Aerospace develops process to convert passenger jets to cargo jets - The Gazette - June 21st, 2020
- US Needs New Policies With Move To Cislunar: Aerospace Corp. - Breaking Defense - June 21st, 2020
- Global Aerospace Materials Market is anticipated to reach the growing at a CAGR of 6.8% during the forecast period 2019- 2025 - Medic Insider - June 21st, 2020
- Military Aerospace Simulation and Training Market to Discern Magnified Growth During 2020 to 2029 - Owned - June 21st, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence and Robotics in Aerospace and Defense Industry Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis, Market Shares & Forecast... - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace and Military Auxiliary Power Units MARKET RESEARCH REPORT 2020-2025 | ALSO UNDERSTAND THE IMPACT OF COVID-19 SITUATION ACROSS THE GLOBE -... - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace and Defense Telemetry Market 2020 Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Research into flexible aircraft wing surfaces at DLR - Aerospace Testing International - June 21st, 2020
- (2020-2025) Aerospace Industry Paint Market Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Trends, Developments and Forecast - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025 | Airbus Glonatech Flight Shield Lockheed Martin Lufthansa Technik tripleO Performance... - May 19th, 2020
- UAVenture Capital announces a spin-off of FreeFall Aerospace to form a new 5G company: FreeFall 5G - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- What will drive the Howmet Aerospace Inc share price higher? - Yahoo Finance UK - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace Hose And Tube Assemblies Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace Manufacturing Software Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace and Defense Telemetry Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole... - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace And Life Science TIC Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Building the wings of tomorrow - Aerospace Manufacturing - May 19th, 2020
- Why Would This Aerospace Company Survive? - Motley Fool - May 19th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Foams Market Size, Share, Growth Drivers, Regional Analysis and forecasts to 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace And Life Sciences Testing, Inspection, And Certification Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to... - May 19th, 2020
- Metallurgy Additive Manufacturing for Aerospace Market Anticipated Forecast 2026 In Key Regions World (United States, International Organization And... - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace Carbon Fiber Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Couplers Market Research Report 2020 By Size,Share, Trends and Analysis up to 2025. - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Raising the FDI cap and other incentives in Aerospace and Defence Industry Challenges ahead - - Defence Aviation Post - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace Thermal Management System Market Development, Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast to 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- People & Profit - Aerospace in crisis: Safran boss warns of job cuts, need for bailout - FRANCE 24 - May 19th, 2020
- 9 Plane Crashes That Changed the Course of the Aerospace History - Interesting Engineering - May 19th, 2020
- SME's Composites Manufacturing Tech Group Recognizes Leaders in Aerospace and Defense Manufacturing: Kurtis Willden, Receives With the 2020 JH Jud... - May 19th, 2020
- Aerospace engineering - Wikipedia - May 18th, 2020
- How Much Federal Aid Will US Aerospace Sector Get, And What Strings Will Be Attached? - Aviation Week - May 18th, 2020
- 3D Printing Titanium in Aerospace Manufacturing Applications - AZoM - May 18th, 2020
- Aerospace Grade Aluminum Alloys Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - ZZReport - May 18th, 2020
- Aerospace Industry Semi-Finished Rubber Materials Market Research, Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2025 - ZZReport - May 18th, 2020
- Insight: Liebherr-Aerospace working hand-in-hand with Boeing - Aerospace Manufacturing - May 18th, 2020
- Thornton Tomasetti Targets Aerospace Sector with New VP - ConnectCRE - May 18th, 2020