Democrats have Andrew Yang. Republicans have Zoltan Istvan.
Both men are running for the presidency as political outsiders and pitching radical, future-focused ideas to voters. For Yang, its universal basic income and a slew of other technocratic policy proposals.
Istvan also supports a form of universal basic income, but his primary focus is even wilder he wants the country to prepare for the transhumanist future.
Istvan defines transhumanism as the movement to upgrade human bodies and lives with technology. He predicts a future in which our bodies will be significantly augmented, such as with robotic arms or computer displays in our eyes.
He expects human life spans will drastically increase and robots will take on more humanlike characteristics, including consciousness.
Outside of science fiction entertainment, these are not ideas most Americans think about as public policy issues.
When I was traveling in Iowa and told people about it, they thought I was on some other space ship, Istvan told me during a phone interview last week.
Istvan ran for president in 2016 under the Transhumanist Party, and ran in the California gubernatorial primary with the Libertarian Party last year. Hes not a traditional Republican, but hopes to find allies among GOP primary voters.
As an entrepreneur Ive always been fiscally conservative. Totally socially liberal. Libertarian to the core when it comes to social ideas, Istvan said.
There is a great deal of disagreement about whether and how soon the huge technological developments Istvan discusses might be achieved. It might be 10 or 20 years as he predicts, but also could be more than 100 years away, or never.
Nevertheless, some form of transhumanism and an increasing level of artificial-intelligence-aided automation already are upon us. Istvan warns that the United States will be ill-equipped to manage social and economic changes.
Im worried were going to wake up in four or eight years and China will be the dominant player in the world both culturally and with innovation and with money and the economy, Istvan said.
To prepare, Istvan suggests several steps that will make many Americans uncomfortable.
As a few examples, the transhumanist campaign proposes mandatory college attendance for most people, licensure testing for parents and merging the United States, Canada and the European Union into a joined partnership.
Istvan wants to partially fund the government through leasing federal lands, vast spaces of which sit mostly unused in the western United States with trillions of dollars of natural resources. He has no affinity for nature, which he sees as antagonistic and immoral.
And Istvan would radically expand the use of police surveillance technology, including facial recognition and tracking devices. He generally wants to rollback privacy norms that inhibit technology.
I think these are ideas whose time might never come, but Istvan predicts the rest of us will eventually come around.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
The transhumanist age will be upon us sometime. People will remember Zoltan has been out there talking about these ideas for a long time, he said.
(319) 339-3156; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staying away from public events during COVID-19 caution? Stream these shows at home - Johnson City Press (subscription) - March 26th, 2020
- cyborgs, robots, and biohackers: the first-ever survey of transhumanism - Designboom - March 4th, 2020
- I turned a psychopath into a noble and rescued drunk royalty in the new RimWorld expansion - PC Gamer - March 4th, 2020
- Information on all 50 NH Primary candidates (including the Hartford Whalers guy) - Manchester Ink Link - February 12th, 2020
- A New Generation of Transhumanists Is Emerging | HuffPost - January 28th, 2020
- Experimental health technology is going too far - The Volante - January 28th, 2020
- Catholic priest at Davos on AI and the soul - The Tablet - January 24th, 2020
- 'Cyberpunk 2077' Delayed as CD Projekt Red Polishes 'Crowning Achievement' Over 'Witcher 3: Wild Hunt' - Newsweek - January 17th, 2020
- The future is sci-fi: How Ghost in the Shell, Deus Ex Human Revolution foreshadowed humanity 2.0 - Firstpost - January 5th, 2020
- 6 Books, Movies, and Shows to Bend Your Neocortex This Winter - NEO.LIFE - December 21st, 2019
- Meet the Microchipped Transhumanist Cyborg Whos Running Against Trump in the 2020 GOP Primary - Mediaite - November 25th, 2019
- Zoltan Istvan, a Leader in Science and Technology, Will Run for US President and Challenge Trump in the 2020 Republican Primaries - PR Web - November 25th, 2019
- Someday, Robot Artists May Have to Explain Their Creations to Us - Futurism - November 25th, 2019
- The transhuman future is here - Dazed - November 13th, 2019
- Do transhumanists need their own bill of rights? - Quartz - October 28th, 2019
- Could a robot be prime minister? Machines will soon be smart enough to run the world, says futurist - CBC.ca - October 8th, 2019
- Education and Enhancement in a Transhuman Future - Patheos - October 8th, 2019
- Transhumanist politics - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- Yudkowsky - Simplified Humanism - April 20th, 2019
- FM-2030 - Wikipedia - April 2nd, 2019
- Nanochips & Smart Dust: New Face of the Human ... - April 2nd, 2019
- Space Fence: Connecting the Surveillance and Transhumanist ... - March 10th, 2019
- THE TRANSHUMANIST SCRAPBOOK: ARTIFICIAL BODIES WAITING FOR ... - December 24th, 2018
- Leadership U.S. Transhumanist Party Official Website - December 23rd, 2018
- 2045: A New Era for Humanity - YouTube - November 29th, 2018
- The Futurist: The Top Ten Transhumanist Technologies - July 30th, 2018
- The Transhumanist Wager: Zoltan Istvan: 9780988616110 ... - July 30th, 2018
- George Dvorsky - Wikipedia - May 28th, 2018
- Transhumanist Party - March 14th, 2018
- Transhumanist Agenda War Crimes Tribunal - March 14th, 2018
- Virgin Primitivist vs. Chad Transhumanist, by Anatoly ... - February 6th, 2018
- The most anti-transhumanist popular SF | Page 2 ... - January 31st, 2018
- Humanity+ Mission - August 24th, 2017
- Stronger, smarter, happier - what if a drug could make you a better version of yourself? - CBC.ca - August 24th, 2017
- Ambrosia: the startup harvesting the blood of the young - The Guardian - August 21st, 2017
- Analysis: Future Shock - Baptist Standard - August 16th, 2017
- Tech-Death Tuesday: Join ARKAIK In Embracing The Joys Of Living In A "Futile State" - Metal Injection.net - August 15th, 2017
- Book review | Radicals: Outsiders Changing the World, by Jamie Bartlett - Democratic Audit UK - August 13th, 2017
- NEWMAN: A chip in the hand isn't worth much - Scottsbluff Star Herald - August 11th, 2017
- Immortality: Silicon Valley's latest obsession ushers in the transhumanist era - South China Morning Post - August 10th, 2017
- Dark Matter Season 3 Episode 10 Review: Built, Not Born - Den of Geek US - August 5th, 2017
- Rethinking Radical Thoughts: How Transhumanists Can Fix Democracy - Raddington Report (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Generation Gone #1 review: Patience is a virtue - AiPT! Comics - August 1st, 2017
- Salvation in Transhumanism: Humanity merges with machines and lives for ever - ZDNet - July 27th, 2017
- Liberty Might Be Better Served by Doing Away with Privacy - Motherboard - July 15th, 2017
- My Turn: The smartphone as a social tool - Concord Monitor - July 15th, 2017
- There's No Harm in Fantasizing About a Better Future - Reason (blog) - July 14th, 2017
- Very funny transhumanist Disney comic - Boing Boing - July 12th, 2017
- Could a robot be president? - Hot Air - July 10th, 2017
- Ana Matronic: 'Robots confuse the boundaries between life and death' - Siliconrepublic.com - July 7th, 2017
- Who do we think we are? - New Scientist - July 5th, 2017
- Outline of transhumanism - Wikipedia - July 1st, 2017
- The Only Way To Stop The Machines From Taking Over Is Getting ... - The Federalist - June 30th, 2017
- Vatican cardinal on a quest for the soul inside the machine - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - June 29th, 2017
- What's Love Got to Do with Transhumanism? - First Things - June 23rd, 2017
- Reg Radicals lecture encompasses far right, libertarians, and mushrooms... - The Register - June 21st, 2017
- Engineering Eden: The quest for eternal life - Baylor College of Medicine News (press release) (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- Controversial trial to test transhumanist theories - BioEdge - June 6th, 2017
- United Nations Envisions Transhumanist Future Where Man is ... - April 8th, 2017
- Secret to a better life? - Piqua Daily Call - April 8th, 2017
- U.S. Transhumanist Party Discussed - Lifeboat Foundation (blog) - April 8th, 2017
- Is Zoltan Istvan a Libertarian? - Being Libertarian - April 8th, 2017
- Transhumanist Wants to Run for California Governor Under Libertarian Banner - The Libertarian Republic - March 7th, 2017
- Michael O'Connor : Does He See Himself being a Transhumanist? - Mobile Magazine - March 2nd, 2017
- Top 5 Transhumanist Technologies With Major Implications ... - March 1st, 2017
- The Transhumanist's Quest for Godhood: 'Remember, Thou Art Mortal' - CNSNews.com - March 1st, 2017
- 'To Be A Machine' Digs Into The Meaning Of Humanity - NPR - February 28th, 2017
- 'They want to be literally machines' : Writer Mark O'Connell on the rise of transhumanists - The Verge - February 25th, 2017
- Transhumanists, biohackers, grinders: Who are they and can they really live forever? - ABC Online - February 23rd, 2017
- Wow! Really? The Hungarian-American Transhumanist Who Wants to Become a CyborgAnd Live Forever - Hungary Today - February 23rd, 2017
- Are We Mature Enough to Deal with Climate Change? - Yahoo News - February 22nd, 2017
- Zoltan Istvan, Nick Bostrom, and the Anti-Aging Quest - The Atlantic - The Atlantic - February 18th, 2017
- Why Elon Musk's transhumanism claims may not be that far-fetched - Wired.co.uk - February 15th, 2017
- Mark O'Connell's Journey Among the Immortalists - The Ringer (blog) - February 15th, 2017
- Transhumanist politician wants to run for governor of California - Engadget - February 13th, 2017
- Stunning Transhumanism Dominates New 'Ghost in the Shell' Trailer - Inverse - February 13th, 2017
- Editor's Picks #463 - Archinect - February 10th, 2017
- Meet the Body Hacker Trying to Become a Human Vibrator - Gizmodo - Gizmodo - February 7th, 2017
- Filthy Assistance: Revisiting 'Transmetropolitan: Lust for Life' - ComicsAlliance - February 7th, 2017
- An interview with Zoltan Istvan, leader of the Transhumanist ... - January 24th, 2017