Klaus Schwab, founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum. Photo: Guo Chen/Xinhua News Agency/PA Images
New technologies in society raise important questions about the soul, according to a Catholic delegate attending the World Economic Forum in Davos.
Fr Philip Larrey, Chair of Logic and Epistemology at the Pontifical Lateran University, who has been in discussions with tech companies about the ethical questions around Artificial Intelligence and robots,took part in a discussion Faith in the Fourth Industrial Revolution", sponsored by the United Arab Emirates.
Fr Larrey told The Tablet that how emerging technologies raise questions about immortality and the soul. Among Silicon Valley billionaires, he explained, heavy investment was going into technologies about how to vastly extend life expectancy and the transhumanist movement looking at ways to transfer human consciousness into a digital format.
The smartest ones [tech companies] want to dialogue with the Catholic Church because we have a 2,000 year tradition about what it means to be human, he said.The richness of the Catholic tradition gives us the framework to speak out the technologies we have. How we were created and what is our purpose.
Fr Larrey, from Mountain View, California, where Google has its HQ, and who helped arrange the 2016 meeting between the Pope and Eric Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google holding company Alphabet,pointed out that the question of whether we can we really become immortal goes back to the Book of Genesis.
He said some of the tech gurus have made it clear they are not interested in having a dialogue with the Vatican.
They want to do their own thing, and are pushing ahead with a lot of money with projects to try and keep them immortal, or solve health issues, said Fr Larrey, who has written two books,Connected World and Artificial Humanity.
Last September, Silicon Valley big hitters went to the Vatican to discuss ethics amid talk of a potential papal document on artificial intelligence. Archbishop Vincenzio Paglia, the Popes point man on family and pro-life issues, has met Brad Smith, the President of Microsoft. The next assemblyof his Pontifical Academy of Life department will focus on AI.
Fr Larrey stressed that whatever the technological developments, it was important to put people before platforms
The Church is not against the use of machines, but what the Pope is saying is put the human being at the centre of technology, he explained .
The priest-philosopher pointed out that parishes, while using digital technology, are places of human contact. He said claims about robots taking over the world are overblown, and that governments will not allow machines to take over peoples jobs right away. The same is true for pastoral ministry.
I dont see robot priests in the future, he added.
Pope Francis in his messagereminded those at the gathering for the World Economic Forum that their overriding concern must be for the one human family, and warned against the isolationism, individualism and ideological colonisation of contemporary debate.
Digital and technological changes, he said, had benefited humanity, but also left people behind. The Popes message was delivered by Cardinal Peter Turkson, of the integral human development dicastery, who was in Davos, and who was joined by Fr Augusto Zampini-Davies, an official at the dicastery.
Read the rest here:
- Staying away from public events during COVID-19 caution? Stream these shows at home - Johnson City Press (subscription) - March 26th, 2020
- cyborgs, robots, and biohackers: the first-ever survey of transhumanism - Designboom - March 4th, 2020
- I turned a psychopath into a noble and rescued drunk royalty in the new RimWorld expansion - PC Gamer - March 4th, 2020
- Information on all 50 NH Primary candidates (including the Hartford Whalers guy) - Manchester Ink Link - February 12th, 2020
- A New Generation of Transhumanists Is Emerging | HuffPost - January 28th, 2020
- Experimental health technology is going too far - The Volante - January 28th, 2020
- 'Cyberpunk 2077' Delayed as CD Projekt Red Polishes 'Crowning Achievement' Over 'Witcher 3: Wild Hunt' - Newsweek - January 17th, 2020
- The future is sci-fi: How Ghost in the Shell, Deus Ex Human Revolution foreshadowed humanity 2.0 - Firstpost - January 5th, 2020
- GOP candidate pitches robots and immortality to Iowa voters - The Gazette - December 21st, 2019
- 6 Books, Movies, and Shows to Bend Your Neocortex This Winter - NEO.LIFE - December 21st, 2019
- Meet the Microchipped Transhumanist Cyborg Whos Running Against Trump in the 2020 GOP Primary - Mediaite - November 25th, 2019
- Zoltan Istvan, a Leader in Science and Technology, Will Run for US President and Challenge Trump in the 2020 Republican Primaries - PR Web - November 25th, 2019
- Someday, Robot Artists May Have to Explain Their Creations to Us - Futurism - November 25th, 2019
- The transhuman future is here - Dazed - November 13th, 2019
- Do transhumanists need their own bill of rights? - Quartz - October 28th, 2019
- Could a robot be prime minister? Machines will soon be smart enough to run the world, says futurist - CBC.ca - October 8th, 2019
- Education and Enhancement in a Transhuman Future - Patheos - October 8th, 2019
- Transhumanist politics - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- Yudkowsky - Simplified Humanism - April 20th, 2019
- FM-2030 - Wikipedia - April 2nd, 2019
- Nanochips & Smart Dust: New Face of the Human ... - April 2nd, 2019
- Space Fence: Connecting the Surveillance and Transhumanist ... - March 10th, 2019
- THE TRANSHUMANIST SCRAPBOOK: ARTIFICIAL BODIES WAITING FOR ... - December 24th, 2018
- Leadership U.S. Transhumanist Party Official Website - December 23rd, 2018
- 2045: A New Era for Humanity - YouTube - November 29th, 2018
- The Futurist: The Top Ten Transhumanist Technologies - July 30th, 2018
- The Transhumanist Wager: Zoltan Istvan: 9780988616110 ... - July 30th, 2018
- George Dvorsky - Wikipedia - May 28th, 2018
- Transhumanist Party - March 14th, 2018
- Transhumanist Agenda War Crimes Tribunal - March 14th, 2018
- Virgin Primitivist vs. Chad Transhumanist, by Anatoly ... - February 6th, 2018
- The most anti-transhumanist popular SF | Page 2 ... - January 31st, 2018
- Humanity+ Mission - August 24th, 2017
- Stronger, smarter, happier - what if a drug could make you a better version of yourself? - CBC.ca - August 24th, 2017
- Ambrosia: the startup harvesting the blood of the young - The Guardian - August 21st, 2017
- Analysis: Future Shock - Baptist Standard - August 16th, 2017
- Tech-Death Tuesday: Join ARKAIK In Embracing The Joys Of Living In A "Futile State" - Metal Injection.net - August 15th, 2017
- Book review | Radicals: Outsiders Changing the World, by Jamie Bartlett - Democratic Audit UK - August 13th, 2017
- NEWMAN: A chip in the hand isn't worth much - Scottsbluff Star Herald - August 11th, 2017
- Immortality: Silicon Valley's latest obsession ushers in the transhumanist era - South China Morning Post - August 10th, 2017
- Dark Matter Season 3 Episode 10 Review: Built, Not Born - Den of Geek US - August 5th, 2017
- Rethinking Radical Thoughts: How Transhumanists Can Fix Democracy - Raddington Report (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Generation Gone #1 review: Patience is a virtue - AiPT! Comics - August 1st, 2017
- Salvation in Transhumanism: Humanity merges with machines and lives for ever - ZDNet - July 27th, 2017
- Liberty Might Be Better Served by Doing Away with Privacy - Motherboard - July 15th, 2017
- My Turn: The smartphone as a social tool - Concord Monitor - July 15th, 2017
- There's No Harm in Fantasizing About a Better Future - Reason (blog) - July 14th, 2017
- Very funny transhumanist Disney comic - Boing Boing - July 12th, 2017
- Could a robot be president? - Hot Air - July 10th, 2017
- Ana Matronic: 'Robots confuse the boundaries between life and death' - Siliconrepublic.com - July 7th, 2017
- Who do we think we are? - New Scientist - July 5th, 2017
- Outline of transhumanism - Wikipedia - July 1st, 2017
- The Only Way To Stop The Machines From Taking Over Is Getting ... - The Federalist - June 30th, 2017
- Vatican cardinal on a quest for the soul inside the machine - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - June 29th, 2017
- What's Love Got to Do with Transhumanism? - First Things - June 23rd, 2017
- Reg Radicals lecture encompasses far right, libertarians, and mushrooms... - The Register - June 21st, 2017
- Engineering Eden: The quest for eternal life - Baylor College of Medicine News (press release) (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- Controversial trial to test transhumanist theories - BioEdge - June 6th, 2017
- United Nations Envisions Transhumanist Future Where Man is ... - April 8th, 2017
- Secret to a better life? - Piqua Daily Call - April 8th, 2017
- U.S. Transhumanist Party Discussed - Lifeboat Foundation (blog) - April 8th, 2017
- Is Zoltan Istvan a Libertarian? - Being Libertarian - April 8th, 2017
- Transhumanist Wants to Run for California Governor Under Libertarian Banner - The Libertarian Republic - March 7th, 2017
- Michael O'Connor : Does He See Himself being a Transhumanist? - Mobile Magazine - March 2nd, 2017
- Top 5 Transhumanist Technologies With Major Implications ... - March 1st, 2017
- The Transhumanist's Quest for Godhood: 'Remember, Thou Art Mortal' - CNSNews.com - March 1st, 2017
- 'To Be A Machine' Digs Into The Meaning Of Humanity - NPR - February 28th, 2017
- 'They want to be literally machines' : Writer Mark O'Connell on the rise of transhumanists - The Verge - February 25th, 2017
- Transhumanists, biohackers, grinders: Who are they and can they really live forever? - ABC Online - February 23rd, 2017
- Wow! Really? The Hungarian-American Transhumanist Who Wants to Become a CyborgAnd Live Forever - Hungary Today - February 23rd, 2017
- Are We Mature Enough to Deal with Climate Change? - Yahoo News - February 22nd, 2017
- Zoltan Istvan, Nick Bostrom, and the Anti-Aging Quest - The Atlantic - The Atlantic - February 18th, 2017
- Why Elon Musk's transhumanism claims may not be that far-fetched - Wired.co.uk - February 15th, 2017
- Mark O'Connell's Journey Among the Immortalists - The Ringer (blog) - February 15th, 2017
- Transhumanist politician wants to run for governor of California - Engadget - February 13th, 2017
- Stunning Transhumanism Dominates New 'Ghost in the Shell' Trailer - Inverse - February 13th, 2017
- Editor's Picks #463 - Archinect - February 10th, 2017
- Meet the Body Hacker Trying to Become a Human Vibrator - Gizmodo - Gizmodo - February 7th, 2017
- Filthy Assistance: Revisiting 'Transmetropolitan: Lust for Life' - ComicsAlliance - February 7th, 2017
- An interview with Zoltan Istvan, leader of the Transhumanist ... - January 24th, 2017