August 4, 2020 - More than three years after a clinical trial was prematurely ended for failing to show progress in healing heart attack scars, the European Heart Journal publishing some surprising results showing that the heart cell treatment does benefit patients.
Data from the ALLSTAR study published Tuesday by the European Heart Journal showed that although infusions of allogeneic cardiac cells (called cardiosphere-derived cells or CDCs) did not appear to shrink the infarct scar after a heart attack, other data from the study show a clear benefit.
Compared with patients who received placebo treatment, patients randomized to receive CDC infusions showed a decrease in the volume of blood in the heart before and after it beats, indicating that the heart had not dilated, as it does progressively in heart failure.
"As it develops heart failure, the heart gets bigger and bigger, like a swelling balloon," said the study's lead author, Raj Makkar, M.D., vice president of cardiovascular innovation and intervention for Cedars-Sinai and the Stephen R. Corday, M.D., chair in interventional cardiology. "One way we can measure the health of a heart is to measure the volume of blood it can hold. The bigger the volume, the more damaged the heart."
The newly analyzed data from the ALLSTAR study, which was sponsored by Capricor Therapeutics, showed that patients given a placebo had hearts that continued to swell, holding larger volumes of blood, while the patients who received CDC infusions had smaller hearts with lower volumes.
The new data results include:
The volume of blood held by the heart was essentially unchanged six months after CDC infusion, but increased by more than a teaspoonful in placebo patients.
A blood protein that measures heart failure severity was reduced in patients who had received CDCs, but not in placebo patients.
The chance that these findings were statistical flukes was only 2 percent.
"To me, these data are very reassuring that there really is therapeutic benefit," said Eduardo Marbn, M.D., Ph.D., executive director of the Smidt Heart Institute. "There is a growing body of evidence that this cell treatment does work."
Results from the earlier CADUCEUS trial, published in The Lancet in 2014, showed that injecting CDCs into the hearts of heart attack survivors significantly reduced infarct size. In 2017, however, the multicenter ALLSTAR study was prematurely halted after six months of data showed no decrease in heart attack scar size, but later analyses revealed the beneficial findings reported here.
"We think we may have chosen the wrong endpoint," said Marbn, the Mark S. Siegel Family Foundation Distinguished Professor, whose discoveries and technologies resulted in CDCs. "This happens in science because you have to design the trial a year or more before you begin, and sometimes you bet on the wrong hors... but that doesnt necessarily mean the therapy is ineffective."
The cells used in the study were CAP-1002, Capricor Therapeutics off-the-shelf, cardiosphere-derived cell (CDC) product candidate. Other clinical trials and case series, in which CDCs were used to treat advanced heart failure, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, and COVID-19, also demonstrated positive results. And new studies using CDCs are in the planning stages.
"California is known as the stem cell state, but few technologies being tested in California actually were developed here," said Shlomo Melmed, MB, ChB, executive vice president of Academic Affairs, dean of the Medical Faculty and professor of Medicine. "Increasing evidence-including the results of the large multicenter ALLSTAR trial-validates the potential utility of a cell product which was conceived by a faculty member at Cedars-Sinai, and first tested clinically here."
Read the complete study published by the European Heart Journal.
Disclosures: Except for the cells used in CADUCEUS, the cardiosphere-derived cells used in these studies were derived from donor hearts and provided by Capricor Therapeutics. Marbn developed the process to grow CDCs when he was on the faculty of Johns Hopkins University; the process was further developed at Cedars-Sinai. Capricor has licensed the process from Johns Hopkins and from Cedars-Sinai for clinical and commercial development. Capricor has licensed additional intellectual property from Cedars-Sinai and the University of Rome. Cedars-Sinai and Marbn have financial interests in Capricor.
1. Raj R Makkar, Dean J Kereiakes, Frank Aguirre, et al. Intracoronary ALLogeneic heart STem cells to Achieve myocardial Regeneration (ALLSTAR): a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded trial. European Heart Journal, ehaa541, https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa541.
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market: Worldwide Industry to Boost in the Period of 2020-2025 - Express Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Trends, and Opportunity Analysis, Top Manufacturers And Forecast to 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 19th, 2020
- Global Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Demand, Business Growing Strategies, Industry Segmentation and Forecast 2025 -... - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Opportunities, New Technologies and Developments, Competitor analysis and Market Sizing from 2020 to 2026 - PRnews... - October 19th, 2020
- Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Demand, Business Growing Strategies, Industry Segmentation and Forecast 2025 - TechnoWeekly - October 19th, 2020
- Notch Therapeutics Strengthens Leadership Team with Appointment of Kamran Alam as CFO and Gregory Block as SVP, Corporate Development - PRNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Verified Market Research - Stock Market Vista - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 growth factors, latest trend and regional analysis of leading players by 2025 - News by Decresearch - October 19th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 19th, 2020
- Autologous Cell Therapy Market is Anticipated to Expand at a CAGR of 18.1% from 2019 to 2027 - Eurowire - October 19th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Trend,COVID-19 Impact,Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth - PRnews Leader - October 19th, 2020
- Gamida Cell and Be The Match BioTherapies Expand Strategic Collaboration - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Novellus Therapeutics Exclusively Licenses Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to NoveCite for COVID-19 Related Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome... - October 19th, 2020
- UofL-born company secures an additional $115 million to advance cell therapy - uoflnews.com - October 19th, 2020
- Global and United States Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 | AVIVA BioSciences, AdnaGen,... - October 19th, 2020
- Can Stem Cell Therapy Repair Damaged Knees? - September 2nd, 2020
- Vor Biopharma and Metagenomi to Collaborate on Engineered Hematopoietic Stem-Cell Therapies - Business Wire - September 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 cell therapy drives Mesoblast to seek manufacturing muscle - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 2nd, 2020
- New Report Begins a New Era of Stem Cell Science and Medicine: Stem Cell Biotechnology Company Asymmetrex Tells How It Counts Therapeutic Tissue Stem... - September 2nd, 2020
- Optimized Freezing Solutions for Clinical Application of Cell Therapy Products - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 with Analysis of 44 Industry Players - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Cartesian Therapeutics Initiates Clinical Trial of First RNA-Engineered Cell Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and COVID-19 - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like Chiesi Pharmaceuticals,... - September 2nd, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Optimization Starts in Production, Extends to Therapy - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 2nd, 2020
- Ruxolitinib May Be Another Option for Children With Steroid Refractory aGVHD - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - September 2nd, 2020
- Growing Focus on R&D Likely to Accelerate the Growth of the Stem Cell Therapy Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Oldest male polar bear on record humanely euthanized at Point Defiance Zoo - MyNorthwest.com - September 2nd, 2020
- FDA Approves First Maintenance Therapy for AML - Medscape - September 2nd, 2020
- Elixirgen Therapeutics planning to begin Phase I/II Clinical Trials of its COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate EXG-5003 at Fujita Health University -... - September 2nd, 2020
- Hill Highlights the Potential of Selinexor as a Less Intensive Option for DLBCL - OncLive - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Forecast, Analysis and Supply Demand 2018 to 2028 - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Growing at an annualized rate of over 20%, the cell therapy manufacturing market is estimated to reach close to USD 10 Billion by 2030, claims Roots... - September 2nd, 2020
- Strategic Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Coronavirus Impact Editon of Key Players VETSTEM... - August 10th, 2020
- Tevogen Bio Announces Partnership With Preeminent Scientist Professor Neal Flomenberg, MD, to Investigate Proprietary T-Cell Therapy for Treatment of... - August 10th, 2020
- Marker Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Operating and Financial Results - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- University of Minnesota expands clinical investigation of engineered iPSC-derived natural killer cells, opening U.S. clinical trial for the treatment... - August 10th, 2020
- Clinical study using mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of patients with severe COVID-19 - DocWire News - August 10th, 2020
- UPDATED: After a 4-year sojourn, struggling microbiome pioneer Seres claims a breakout PhIII comeback. And shares respond in frenzied spike -... - August 10th, 2020
- New Report: Regenerative Medicine & Advanced Therapies Sector Thriving Despite COVID-19 - PharmiWeb.com - August 10th, 2020
- Covid-19 roundup: CureVac beefs up its unicorn IPO dreams as billionaire owner takes this Covid-19 mRNA player on a forced march to Nasdaq; Kodak's... - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus Drug and Treatment Tracker - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Nearly 70K donated so far towards Wistaston boy's 120K lifesaving treatment - Cheshire Live - August 10th, 2020
- Avacta extends partnership with Daewoong Pharmaceutical and AffyXell Therapeutics for Covid-19 stem cell treatments - Cambridge Independent - August 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook,... - August 9th, 2020
- IMAC Holdings Receives FDA Authorization to Initiate Clinical Study of Its Umbilical Cord-Derived Allogenic Mesenchymal Stem Cells for the Treatment... - August 9th, 2020
- Strathmore man with MS calls for more Canadian treatment alternatives - CTV Toronto - August 9th, 2020
- Wave of New Therapies Improve Outcomes for Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - August 9th, 2020
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2026 - Chelanpress - August 9th, 2020
- ASCO Expert on the Possible Benchmark Analysis of Autologous Transplantation in B-Cell Lymphomas - Cancer Network - August 9th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market: Study Navigating the Future Growth Outlook | Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Vericel Corporation - Chelanpress - August 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - Chelanpress - August 9th, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market to Show Incredible Growth by 2025 - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- High-throughput 3D screening for differentiation of hPSC-derived cell therapy candidates - Science Advances - August 9th, 2020
- Immatics Extends Cell Therapy Manufacturing Collaboration with UTHealth - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Contract Manufacturing Services market for stem cells is expected to be worth over USD 2.5 billion by 2030, claims Roots Analysis - Market Research... - August 9th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Cancer Stem Cell Market Report 2020 Key Players Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.,... - August 9th, 2020
- Tafasitamab Combination Approved for Adults With R/R DLBCL - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - August 8th, 2020
- Celularity announces the activation of first California Clinical Trial Site following CIRM Grant Award to Advance Treatments for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Trending News on Targeted Oncology, Week of August 7, 2020 - Targeted Oncology - August 8th, 2020
- Find Out Why Bioreactor Market is thriving worldwide by top key players like mergency Response USA, Buddi US, LLC, Connect America - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- BCLI: Phase 3 ALS Data Expected by the End of November 2020 - Zacks Small Cap Research - August 8th, 2020
- New Report: Regenerative Medicine & Advanced Therapies Sector Thriving Despite COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Immatics Extends Cell Therapy Manufacturing Collaboration with UTHealth - marketscreener.com - August 8th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Expected to Secure Notable Revenue Share During 2020-2026 - Research Newspaper - August 8th, 2020
- Calidi Biotherapeutics in San Diego receives FDA Approval for COVID-19 Treatment clinical trial - - KUSI - August 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BLCM.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 9:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- NICE Amends Guidance on Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation During the Pandemic - Medscape - August 6th, 2020
- AlloVir raises $276M IPO to run broad cell therapy program - FierceBiotech - August 6th, 2020
- Identification and Treatment of Tuberculosis in Pediatric Recipients o | IDR - Dove Medical Press - August 6th, 2020
- Unproven 'stem cell' therapies for COVID-19 pose harm to public, says UB expert - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at... - August 4th, 2020
- Future Prospects of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Medivet Biologics LLC,... - August 4th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics Acquires Worldwide Rights to CytoImmune Therapeutics' First-In-Class EGFR Dual-targeting CAR for NK Cell Treatment of... - August 4th, 2020
- UPDATE - Cytovia Therapeutics Acquires Worldwide Rights to CytoImmune Therapeutics' First-In-Class EGFR Dual-targeting CAR for NK Cell Treatment of... - August 4th, 2020
- MediVet Biologics Rebrands as Ardent Animal Health - PR Web - August 4th, 2020
- FDA-approved treatment puts rare cancer with skin manifestations on the map - Dermatology Times - August 4th, 2020