You know that "research" going around saying humans are going to evolve to have hunchbacks and claws because of the way we use our smartphones? Though our posture could certainly use some work, you'll be glad to know that it's just lazy spam intended to juice search engine results.
Let's back up. Today the Daily Mail published a viral story about "how humans may look in the year 3000." Among its predictions: hunched backs, clawed hands, a second eyelid, a thicker skull and a smaller brain.
Sure, that's fascinating! The only problem? The Mail's only source is a post published a year ago by the renowned scientists at... uh... TollFreeForwarding.com, a site that sells, as its name suggests, virtual phone numbers.
If the idea that phone salespeople are purporting to be making predictions about human evolution didn't tip you off, this "research" doesn't seem very scientific at all. Instead, it more closely resembles what it actually is — a blog post written by some poor grunt, intended to get backlinks from sites like the Mail that'll juice TollFreeForwarding's position in search engine results.
To get those delicious backlinks, the top minds at TollFreeForwarding leveraged renders of a "future human" by a 3D model artist. The result of these efforts is "Mindy," a creepy-looking hunchback in black skinny jeans (which is how you can tell she's from a different era).
Grotesque model reveals what humans could look like in the year 3000 due to our reliance on technology
— Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline) November 3, 2022
"To fully realize the impact everyday tech has on us, we sourced scientific research and expert opinion on the subject," the TollFreeForwarding post reads, "before working with a 3D designer to create a future human whose body has physically changed due to consistent use of smartphones, laptops, and other tech."
Its sources, though, are dubious. Its authority on spinal development, for instance, is a "health and wellness expert" at a site that sells massage lotion. His highest academic achievement? A business degree.
We could go on and on about TollFreeForwarding's dismal sourcing — some of which looks suspiciously like even more SEO spam for entirely different clients — but you get the idea.
It's probably not surprising that the this gambit for clicks took off among dingbats on Twitter. What is somewhat disappointing is that it ended up on StudyFinds, a generally reliable blog about academic research. This time, though, for inscrutable reasons it treated this egregious SEO spam as a legitimate scientific study.
The site's readers, though, were quick to call it out, leading to a comically enormous editor's note appended to the story.
"Our content is intended to stir debate and conversation, and we always encourage our readers to discuss why or why not they agree with the findings," it reads in part. "If you heavily disagree with a report — please debunk to your delight in the comments below."
You heard them! Get debunking, people.
The post That "Research" About How Smartphones Are Causing Deformed Human Bodies Is SEO Spam, You Idiots appeared first on Futurism.
Read the original here:
- Stem-cell therapy - Wikipedia - December 30th, 2022
- Stem Cell Transplantation: What it Is, Process & Procedure - December 30th, 2022
- Stem Cell Therapy for Arthritis | Arthritis-health - December 30th, 2022
- FDA Warns About Stem Cell Therapies | FDA - U.S. Food and Drug ... - December 30th, 2022
- Induced pluripotent stem cell - Wikipedia - December 30th, 2022
- Stem cell - Wikipedia - November 28th, 2022
- Types of Stem Cell and Bone Marrow Transplants - American Cancer Society - November 28th, 2022
- Novel stem cell therapy for repair of knee cartilage - Mayo Clinic - November 28th, 2022
- Celebrities Are Officially Being Sued by FTX Retail Investors - November 20th, 2022
- FDA Gives First Go Ahead for Lab Grown Meat Product - November 20th, 2022
- Sam Bankman-Fried Admits the "Ethics Stuff" Was "Mostly a Front" - November 20th, 2022
- "Elon" Plummets in Popularity as a Baby Name for Some Reason - November 20th, 2022
- Celebrities' Bored Apes Are Hilariously Worthless Now - November 20th, 2022
- Startup Says It's Building a Giant CO2 Battery in the United States - November 20th, 2022
- Panicked Elon Musk Reportedly Begging Engineers Not to Leave - November 20th, 2022
- Former Facebook Exec Says Zuckerberg Has Surrounded Himself With Sycophants - November 20th, 2022
- Experts Baffled by Why NASA’s “Red Crew” Wear Blue Shirts - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Drops Stunning New James Webb Image of a Star Being Born - November 20th, 2022
- Ticketmaster May Have Finally Met Its Match: Furious Swifties - November 20th, 2022
- Elon Musk Locks Twitter Employees Out Office, Then Asks Them to Meet Him on the 10th Floor - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Tells Astronauts That Tweeting Isn't As Important as Staying Alive - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Orders Press Not to Photograph Launch Site After Moon Mission Takes Off - November 20th, 2022
- Amazing Map Lets You Scroll Through the Entire Known Universe - November 20th, 2022
- Experts Excoriate NASA Report Claiming James Webb Wasn't Homophobic - November 20th, 2022
- So Many People Are Using a Diabetes Drug for Weight Loss That Actual Diabetics Are Having Trouble Getting It - November 20th, 2022
- Behind the Lawsuit Against Celebs Who Shilled FTX Before Its Spectacular Meltdown - November 20th, 2022
- Twitter Claims Video of Moon Rocket Launch Is Revenge Porn - November 20th, 2022
- Manslaughter Case Has a Strange Twist: Tesla That Killed Couple Was on Autopilot - November 4th, 2022
- Greta Thunberg Says UN Climate Conference Is a Scam and She's Not Attending - November 4th, 2022
- Twitter Working on Plan to Charge Users to Watch Videos - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Use Actual Lunar Soil Sample to Create Rocket Fuel - November 4th, 2022
- This Deepfake AI Singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Is Worryingly Good - November 4th, 2022
- There's Something Strange About How These Stars Are Moving, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- NASA Sets Launch Date for Mission to $10 Quintillion Asteroid - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Spot "Stripped, Pulsating Core" of Star Caused By Horrific Accident - November 4th, 2022
- Cats May Be Tampering With Crime Scenes, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Elon Musk Meeting With Advertisers, Begging Them Not to Leave Twitter - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Found a Way to Control How High Mice Got on Cocaine - November 4th, 2022
- Huge Drone Swarm to Form Giant Advertisement Over NYC Skyline - November 4th, 2022
- Hackers Just Took Down One of the World's Most Advanced Telescopes - November 4th, 2022
- US Gov to Crack Down on "Bossware" That Spies On Employees' Computers - November 4th, 2022
- AOC Says Her Twitter Account Broke After She Made Fun of Elon Musk - November 4th, 2022
- China Plans to Send Monkeys to Space Station to Have Sex With Each Other - November 4th, 2022
- Chinese Spaceplane Releases Mystery Object Into Orbit - November 4th, 2022
- Jeff Bezos' Housekeeper Says She Had to Climb Out the Window to Use the Bathroom - November 4th, 2022
- Global Stem Cell Banking Market Research Report 2022: Market to Reach $11.5 Billion by 2026 - Adult Stem Cell Research Gains Traction, Accelerating... - October 27th, 2022
- Growing Prevalence & Recurrence Of Rheumatoid Arthritis Is Expected To Growth Of The Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Designer Women... - July 8th, 2022
- Diabetic foot treatment: Here's all you need to know about stem cell therapy - Hindustan Times - July 8th, 2022
- Catherine S. Diefenbach, MD, Talks Future of CAR T-cell Therapy Following Liso-Cel Approval in Second-Line LBCL - Cancer Network - July 8th, 2022
- Next-day manufacture of a novel anti-CD19 CAR-T therapy for B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: first-in-human clinical study | Blood Cancer Journal... - July 8th, 2022
- Orthobiologics Market is Predicted to Expand at a CAGR of 4.7% during the Forecast Period, notes TMR Study - GlobeNewswire - July 8th, 2022
- Akari Therapeutics Announces First Patient to Complete Course of Treatment in the Phase III Part A Clinical Trial of Investigational Nomacopan in... - July 8th, 2022
- Global Lupus Market is Expected to Reach USD 4.3 Billion With CAGR of 12.41% By Forecast 2027 Says Maximize Market Research (MMR) - Digital Journal - July 8th, 2022
- Jasper Therapeutics to Participate in the William Blair 42nd Annual Growth Stock Conference - GuruFocus.com - July 8th, 2022
- TC BioPharm Announces Formation of Scientific Advisory Board with Renowned Cell Therapy Experts - GuruFocus.com - July 8th, 2022
- Global Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast to 2029 Designer Women - Designer Women - July 8th, 2022
- Mayo Clinic Q and A: Stem cell therapy for arthritis ... - November 29th, 2021
- FDA Warns About Stem Cell Therapies | FDA - November 29th, 2021
- A Cure for Type 1 Diabetes? For One Man, It Seems to Have Worked. - The New York Times - November 29th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Markets, 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - November 29th, 2021
- Neuroplast secures 10 million in funding to boost clinical development of stem cell therapy for traumatic spinal cord injuries - Spinal News... - November 29th, 2021
- Innovating Reversible Cell Therapies With RNA - Technology Networks - November 29th, 2021
- US Stem Cell Therapy Market size and analysis by leading manufacturers, application and types 2021-2027 Energy Siren - Energy Siren - November 29th, 2021
- InGeneron Publishes Significant Support for the Existence of Naturally Pluripotent Stem Cells in All Organs in the Adult Body - Galveston County Daily... - November 29th, 2021
- Susanna Park inducted as holder of Roth Endowed Chair for Discovery, Education and Patient Care - UC Davis Health - November 29th, 2021
- Covid vaccine: Stem cell transplant patients who must be completely re-vaccinated struggling to book jabs - iNews - November 29th, 2021
- Immunomic Therapeutics Announces Collaboration With iOncologi - BioSpace - November 29th, 2021
- An Against-the-Odds Cancer Story Can Be Yours - Curetoday.com - November 29th, 2021
- Calls for stem cell donation to change in Australia to reduce reliance on overseas donors - ABC News - November 29th, 2021
- The Expanding Role of Interferons in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms - Targeted Oncology - November 29th, 2021
- Dr. Van Rhee on Future Research Directions for CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - September 5th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market | Exclusive Report on the Latest Market Trends and Development - PharmiWeb.com - September 5th, 2021
- MD Anderson Now to Offer Solution for Cellular Therapy Toxicities - Targeted Oncology - September 5th, 2021
- NCCN Issues Updated Guidelines Regarding Third COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Those With Cancer - Cancer Network - September 5th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Receives Patent in Japan Related to its Off-the-Shelf ThermoStem Program - GuruFocus.com - September 5th, 2021
- Jury awards North Texas doctor $7.8 million in lawsuit over his partner locking him out - The Dallas Morning News - September 5th, 2021
- Iomab-B Shows Early Promise Versus Standard Therapy in Elderly R/R AML - Targeted Oncology - September 5th, 2021
- Pirtobrutinib Exhibits Promising Efficacy in Heavily Pretreated MCL and Other Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas - OncLive - September 5th, 2021
- MD Anderson and Bellicum Announce Additional License Agreement for Use of CaspaCIDe Safety Switch - Newswise - September 5th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market by Sales, Revenue, Price and Gross Margin (2021-2027) UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - September 5th, 2021