Researchers at Stanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute recently developed a drug that can lure stem cells to impaired tissue and enhance the efficacy of treatment.
This is considered a "scientific first," not to mention a major advance for the field of regenerative drugs. Such a discovery, which theProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences or PNASpublished could enhance the present stem cell treatments developed to cure such neurological disorders like stroke, spinal cord injury, ALS or other amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, as well as other neurodegenerative diseases -- and have their use expanded to new conditions such as arthritis or heart disease.
In the study, toxic or green cells disappeared when mice with a neurodegenerative condition were given both therapeutic or red cells and the drug SDV1a, which matched with delayed onset of symptoms and longer lives.
(Photo : Stem Cell Research via Getty Images)In this undated handout photo released by the Institute for Stem Cell Research in 2005, neurons (red) and astrocytes (green), which can be made from neural stem cells, are seen.
Results Suggesting Efficacy of the Drug
The study results proposed that SDV1a can be used to enhance the stem cell treatments' efficacy. According to Evan Snyder, MD, PhD, theCenter for Stem Cells & Regenerative Medicine at Stanford Burnham Prebysprofessor and director, "the ability to instruct a stem cell where to go in the body, or to a particular region of a given organ is the 'Holy Grail' for regenerative medicine.
Snyder, who's also the senior author of the study, added, now, for the first time, stem cells can be directed to a desired area and focus its therapeutic effect.
Almost a decade-and-a-half back, the senior author, together with his team, found that stem cells are drawn to infection, a biological 'fire alarm' indicating that damage has taken place.
Nevertheless, using inflammation as a healing appeal is not possible since an inflammation environment can be dangerous to the body. Hence, researchers have been searching for mechanisms to help in the migration of stem cells or 'home' to the body's desired areas.
Such a mechanism or tool, according to reports on this new finding, would be a great contributor for disorders in which preliminary inflammatory indicators disappear over time, like chronic spinal cord injury or stroke, and conditions where the inflammation's role is not clearly understood, like heart disease, for one.
Fortunately, after decades of investing in stem cell science, scientists are now making "tremendous progress," saidCalifornia Institute for Regenerative Medicine or CIRMpresident and CEO Maria Millan, MD said, in their understanding of the manner such cells work and the manner they can be attached to help reverse disease or an injury.
The CIRM partially funded this new study. Millan also said, Snyder's group has identified a medicine that could enhance "the ability of neural stem cells to home to sites of injury and initiate repair."
More so, the president and CEO also explained, the drug candidate could help fast-track the stem cell treatments' development, specifically for conditions including Alzheimer's disease and spinal cord injury.
In the research, study investigators modified an inflammatory molecule called CXCL12, which the Snyder's group discovered previously, could guide healing stem cells to areas that need repair to develop the SDV1a.
As such, this new medicine works by improving stem cell binding and minimizing inflammatory indicating and can be injected anywhere to attract stem cells to a particular site without causing any inflammation.
Since such inflammation can be dangerous, Snyder explained, they modified CXL12 by "tripping away the risky beat and maximizing the good bit."
Now, he added, they have a drug, drawing stem cells to an area of pathology, but not creating or worsening the unwanted infection.
"Now, we have a drug that draws stem cells to a region of pathology, but without creating or worsening unwanted inflammation."
Furthermore, to present that the new medication can improve the effectiveness of stem cell therapy, the scientists implanted SDV1a and human neural stem cells into the brains of mice thatSandhoff disease, a neurodegenerative disease.
The scientists have already started testing the ability of SDV1a to enhance stem cell therapy in a mouse model of Lou Gehrig's disease, also known as ALS, which results from progressive loss of motor neurons in the brain.
Snyder said they are optimistic that the mechanism of action of this new drug may potentially benefit various neurodegenerative disorders and non-neurological conditions like arthritis, heart disease, and even brain cancer.
Interestingly, he also explained, since CXL12 and its receptor is said to be implicated in cytokine storm that exemplifies severeCOVID-19, some of their understandings of how to constrain infection without controlling other normal procedures selectively may be helpful in that field, as well.
RELATED:'Marie Kondo' Protein in Fruit Fly Embryos Helps Them Keep Organized
Check out more news and information onStem Cellsin Science Times.
Read more from the original source:
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- FDA Green Lights Trials of New Type 1 Diabetes Stem Cell Therapy - A Sweet Life - February 7th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 7th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 7th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 7th, 2021
- Westin Evaluates Management of DLBCL With CAR T-Cell Therapy - Targeted Oncology - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells' efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy treatment introduced in Pakistan - The Nation - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Information, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2026 - The Courier - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size to Reach USD 5,040 Million by 2028 | Rising Public-Private Investments and Developing Regulatory Framework for Stem Cell... - February 1st, 2021
- ProgenCell - Stem Cell Therapies offers an updated Stem Cell Therapy for Anti Aging Protocol - PR Web - February 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021: Global Key Players, Trends, Share, Industry Size, Segmentation, Forecast To 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - February 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Recruitment Therapy Registration Awarded by U.S. Patent & Trademark Office for Russell Health - MDJOnline.com - February 1st, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Firms Gear up to Revolutionize Manufacturing - Labiotech.eu - February 1st, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Consumption Market Report By Application, Type, Top Companies, Growth, Regional Outlook, and Forecast to 2027 Murphy's... - February 1st, 2021
- Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug (IND) Application for VX-880, a Novel Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes... - February 1st, 2021
- Dancing on Ice's Colin Jackson to get stem cell op as he's got 'knees of 85-year-old' - Irish Mirror - February 1st, 2021
- Advanced Pancreatic Cancer Pipeline Therapeutics and Analysis, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 1st, 2021
- ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. Announces Expansion of Pre-Clinical and Translational Development Team to Support Gene and Stem Cell Therapy Partners -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Segmentation, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - January 30th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2026 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 30th, 2021
- Researchers use patients' cells to test gene therapy for rare eye disease - National Institutes of Health - January 30th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Key Addition To Its Executive Leadership Team With Dirk Huebner MD Joining As Chief Medical Officer - PRNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 30th, 2021
- Tevogen Bio Secures Funding from Team of Doctors to Support Clinical Trials of Its Investigational Curative T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Protein identified that may help treat Parkinsons disease - Medical News Today - January 30th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Comprehensive Presence at 2021 WORLDSymposium - GlobeNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | ANIMAL CELL THERAPIES,... - December 22nd, 2020
- I Peace, Inc. and Avery Therapeutics announce collaboration to bring iPSC derived cell therapy for heart failure to the clinic - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Successful Application of ImmCelz Immunotherapy for Treatment of Stroke - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Glycostem and Ghent University sign license agreement on NK cell therapy technology - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to See Massive Growth by 2026 Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive - Farming Sector - December 22nd, 2020
- Medicine by Design symposium highlights importance of convergence in regenerative medicine and human health - News@UofT - December 22nd, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market: Development, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - December 22nd, 2020
- ONK Therapeutics Announces Three Exclusive Option License Agreements, Which Extend and Strengthen its Dual-Targeted NK Cell Therapy Pipeline -... - December 22nd, 2020
- New Combination Therapy Tested By Children's May Offer Hope For Leukemia Patients - WVXU - December 22nd, 2020
- Ashley Cain says over 80,000 people registered for stem cell donation in 48 hours after appeal to save baby - The Sun - December 22nd, 2020
- Bayer and Atara Biotherapeutics Enter Strategic Collaboration for Mesothelin-Targeted CAR T-cell Therapies for Solid Tumors - Business Wire - December 7th, 2020
- New Cedars-Sinai Biomanufacturing Center to Spur Cell Therapies - Newswise - December 7th, 2020
- ALLO-715, Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy, Produces Early Promise in Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Network - December 7th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy in coronavirus disease 2019: current evidence and future potential - DocWire News - December 7th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics and bluebird bio Announce a Phase 2 Clinical Trial Collaboration to Evaluate Magenta's MGTA-145 for Mobilizing and Collecting... - December 7th, 2020
- Treatment to restore vision by injecting stem cells into the eye could help people with damaged eyesight - iNews - December 7th, 2020
- Bayer creates cell and gene therapy platform to support partners - FierceBiotech - December 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 7th, 2020
- ASH Goes Remote as CAR T-Cell Therapy Competition Heats Up - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 7th, 2020
- Hematologist Discusses the Impact a Myeloma CAR T-Cell Approval Would Have on the Treatment Landscape - DocWire News - December 7th, 2020
- Cilta-Cel CAR T-cell Therapy Impresses With High ORR in R/R Multiple Myeloma - Targeted Oncology - December 7th, 2020
- Are stable producer cells the future of viral vector manufacturing and when will allogeneic cell therapy take hold? - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 7th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Detailed Analysis Of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 7th, 2020
- Not All Patients With Relapsed DLBCL Referred for CAR T in Community Setting - Targeted Oncology - December 7th, 2020
- CRISPR and another genetic strategy fix cell defects in two common blood disorders - Science Magazine - December 7th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 7th, 2020
- UCLA receives $7.3 million grant to build state-of-the-art facility for developing gene, cell therapies - UCLA Newsroom - December 7th, 2020
- Celyad Oncology Provides Updates on Allogeneic and Autologous CAR T Programs at 62nd ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition - GlobeNewswire - December 7th, 2020
- Evolving Standards and Heated Debates in the Treatment of Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - December 7th, 2020
- New Drug Could Improve Effectiveness of Stem Cell Therapy - Pain News Network - December 4th, 2020
- Repairing the Brain With Stem Cells? A Conversation With Prof. Jack Price - Being Patient - December 4th, 2020
- Hematologist/Stem Cell Biologist to Direct Hematology and Cellular Therapy at Cedars-Sinai - Newswise - December 4th, 2020
- CRISPR tagging used to grow neuronal cells from stem cells - Drug Target Review - December 4th, 2020
- How Stem Cell Therapy Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - December 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Expansion Projected to Gain an Uptick During 2020-2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 4th, 2020
- IN8bio announces first-in-human Phase 1 trial Update from The University of Kansas Cancer Center using INB-100, IN8bios Gamma Delta T-cell product... - December 4th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects By... - December 4th, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Promising Early Results in Children With Neuroblastoma - Technology Networks - December 4th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Size, Data, Developments, Global Demand, In-Depth Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2025 |... - November 27th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2025 - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Celularity Announces Dosing of First Patient in Phase I Study of Human Placental Hematopoietic Stem Cell-Derived Natural Killer Cells (CYNK-001) in... - November 27th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 27th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Ash 2020 cell therapy preview the battle for recognition - Vantage - November 27th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 to Flourish with an Impressive CAGR of XX% in the year 2026, Market Size & Growth with Complete Business... - November 27th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market: Worldwide Industry to Boost in the Period of 2020-2025 - Express Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Trends, and Opportunity Analysis, Top Manufacturers And Forecast to 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 19th, 2020
- Global Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Demand, Business Growing Strategies, Industry Segmentation and Forecast 2025 -... - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Opportunities, New Technologies and Developments, Competitor analysis and Market Sizing from 2020 to 2026 - PRnews... - October 19th, 2020
- Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Demand, Business Growing Strategies, Industry Segmentation and Forecast 2025 - TechnoWeekly - October 19th, 2020
- Notch Therapeutics Strengthens Leadership Team with Appointment of Kamran Alam as CFO and Gregory Block as SVP, Corporate Development - PRNewswire - October 19th, 2020