Boris the polar bear swimming. (Photo courtesy of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium)
Boris, a polar bear believed to be the oldest male of his species, was humanely euthanized at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium on Tuesday following a significant decline in his health.
Woodland Park Zoos oldest animal dies one day shy of 52
The 34-year-old polar bear was a circus bear before he found his home in Tacoma.
Point Defiance says he was loved and revered by the community, gaining international recognition seven years ago when photographs of his dental procedure circulated around the world.
Staff made the decision to euthanize Boris due to deteriorating health issues that were affecting his quality of life, according to head veterinarian Dr. Karen Wolf. Recent exams showed significant arthritis, several fused vertebrae in his neck, and skin issues, Wolf said. He also had a history of gastrointestinal problems, dental and liver disease.
We cared for Boris as long as possible with a combination of groundbreaking medical treatment and daily TLC, Wolf said. But he had increasing difficulty getting up, had recently fallen, and his quality of life had declined dramatically. We did not want him to suffer. His loss will be felt deeply around the Zoo.
Boris was a medical pioneer of sorts when stem cells grown from his fat tissue were used in an attempt to treat his arthritis. He was believed to be the first polar bear to receive the protocol.
A news release from Point Defiance says Boris participated in his medical care and would stick his paw through a specially built sleeve in his bedroom so veterinary staff could get the voluntary blood samples to monitor his health.
Keepers also gave Boris his favorite foods and daily enrichments, like a den full of fresh wood wool shavings to roll in. He moved slowly on land, but enjoyed splashing in the deep saltwater pool and diving onto toys provided by keepers. He would also occasionally play-wrestle with 24-year-old polar bear Blizzard.
This is a very sad day for us, said Alan Varsik, director of Zoological and Environmental Education for Metro Parks Tacoma, in a news release. Boris held a special place in the hearts of our staff and our community.
Boris moved to Point Defiance in 2002 when he was a scrawny, malnourished, and mistreated animal seized by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service from a traveling circus. Boris and five other bears were provided homes, nutrition, and expert care at zoos around the nation, and Boris was the last surviving member of the group.
We were pleased we could give him a home when he was rescued from the circus, Varsik said. But we are even happier that Boris became a beloved ambassador for his species, inspiring our guests to take action that can help polar bears in the wild.
Point Defiance says the median life expectancy for male polar bears in human care is 23.4 years, which Boris surpassed at 34 years. In the wild, they typically live 15-18 years.
According to data from zoos in North America and around the world, Point Defiance says Boris was the oldest male of his species on record.
Boris stem-cell therapy treatment will add to the knowledge of how to help polar bears and large animals with arthritis, Wolf says, and an upcoming necropsy (the animal equivalent of an autopsy) will help with future polar bear conservation.
We want to take samples so that even after death, Boris can help us all learn more about his species and how to care for them, Wolf explained.
Zoo guests can sign a giant card for Boris caregivers in memory of him in the main plaza Sept. 2-4. Read more about Boris, and find out how to donate to polar bears in Boris memory online here.
Read this article:
- Can Stem Cell Therapy Repair Damaged Knees? - September 2nd, 2020
- Vor Biopharma and Metagenomi to Collaborate on Engineered Hematopoietic Stem-Cell Therapies - Business Wire - September 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 cell therapy drives Mesoblast to seek manufacturing muscle - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 2nd, 2020
- New Report Begins a New Era of Stem Cell Science and Medicine: Stem Cell Biotechnology Company Asymmetrex Tells How It Counts Therapeutic Tissue Stem... - September 2nd, 2020
- Optimized Freezing Solutions for Clinical Application of Cell Therapy Products - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 with Analysis of 44 Industry Players - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Cartesian Therapeutics Initiates Clinical Trial of First RNA-Engineered Cell Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and COVID-19 - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like Chiesi Pharmaceuticals,... - September 2nd, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Optimization Starts in Production, Extends to Therapy - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 2nd, 2020
- Ruxolitinib May Be Another Option for Children With Steroid Refractory aGVHD - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - September 2nd, 2020
- Growing Focus on R&D Likely to Accelerate the Growth of the Stem Cell Therapy Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- FDA Approves First Maintenance Therapy for AML - Medscape - September 2nd, 2020
- Elixirgen Therapeutics planning to begin Phase I/II Clinical Trials of its COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate EXG-5003 at Fujita Health University -... - September 2nd, 2020
- Hill Highlights the Potential of Selinexor as a Less Intensive Option for DLBCL - OncLive - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Forecast, Analysis and Supply Demand 2018 to 2028 - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Growing at an annualized rate of over 20%, the cell therapy manufacturing market is estimated to reach close to USD 10 Billion by 2030, claims Roots... - September 2nd, 2020
- Strategic Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Canine Stem Cell Therapy Coronavirus Impact Editon of Key Players VETSTEM... - August 10th, 2020
- Tevogen Bio Announces Partnership With Preeminent Scientist Professor Neal Flomenberg, MD, to Investigate Proprietary T-Cell Therapy for Treatment of... - August 10th, 2020
- Marker Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Operating and Financial Results - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- University of Minnesota expands clinical investigation of engineered iPSC-derived natural killer cells, opening U.S. clinical trial for the treatment... - August 10th, 2020
- Clinical study using mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of patients with severe COVID-19 - DocWire News - August 10th, 2020
- UPDATED: After a 4-year sojourn, struggling microbiome pioneer Seres claims a breakout PhIII comeback. And shares respond in frenzied spike -... - August 10th, 2020
- New Report: Regenerative Medicine & Advanced Therapies Sector Thriving Despite COVID-19 - PharmiWeb.com - August 10th, 2020
- Covid-19 roundup: CureVac beefs up its unicorn IPO dreams as billionaire owner takes this Covid-19 mRNA player on a forced march to Nasdaq; Kodak's... - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus Drug and Treatment Tracker - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Nearly 70K donated so far towards Wistaston boy's 120K lifesaving treatment - Cheshire Live - August 10th, 2020
- Avacta extends partnership with Daewoong Pharmaceutical and AffyXell Therapeutics for Covid-19 stem cell treatments - Cambridge Independent - August 9th, 2020
- Three Years After Stem Cell Trial for Heart Failure was Abandoned New Evidence Shows it Works - Diagnostic and Interventional Cardiology - August 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell And Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market 2020 Size by Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook,... - August 9th, 2020
- IMAC Holdings Receives FDA Authorization to Initiate Clinical Study of Its Umbilical Cord-Derived Allogenic Mesenchymal Stem Cells for the Treatment... - August 9th, 2020
- Strathmore man with MS calls for more Canadian treatment alternatives - CTV Toronto - August 9th, 2020
- Wave of New Therapies Improve Outcomes for Patients with Multiple Myeloma - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - August 9th, 2020
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2026 - Chelanpress - August 9th, 2020
- ASCO Expert on the Possible Benchmark Analysis of Autologous Transplantation in B-Cell Lymphomas - Cancer Network - August 9th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market: Study Navigating the Future Growth Outlook | Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Vericel Corporation - Chelanpress - August 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Growth, Demand, Service, Types, Applications, Key Players and Industry Forecast till 2025 - Chelanpress - August 9th, 2020
- Personalized Cell Therapies Market to Show Incredible Growth by 2025 - Owned - August 9th, 2020
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market worth $9.7 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- High-throughput 3D screening for differentiation of hPSC-derived cell therapy candidates - Science Advances - August 9th, 2020
- Immatics Extends Cell Therapy Manufacturing Collaboration with UTHealth - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Contract Manufacturing Services market for stem cells is expected to be worth over USD 2.5 billion by 2030, claims Roots Analysis - Market Research... - August 9th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Cancer Stem Cell Market Report 2020 Key Players Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.,... - August 9th, 2020
- Tafasitamab Combination Approved for Adults With R/R DLBCL - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - August 8th, 2020
- Celularity announces the activation of first California Clinical Trial Site following CIRM Grant Award to Advance Treatments for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Trending News on Targeted Oncology, Week of August 7, 2020 - Targeted Oncology - August 8th, 2020
- Find Out Why Bioreactor Market is thriving worldwide by top key players like mergency Response USA, Buddi US, LLC, Connect America - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- BCLI: Phase 3 ALS Data Expected by the End of November 2020 - Zacks Small Cap Research - August 8th, 2020
- New Report: Regenerative Medicine & Advanced Therapies Sector Thriving Despite COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Immatics Extends Cell Therapy Manufacturing Collaboration with UTHealth - marketscreener.com - August 8th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Expected to Secure Notable Revenue Share During 2020-2026 - Research Newspaper - August 8th, 2020
- Calidi Biotherapeutics in San Diego receives FDA Approval for COVID-19 Treatment clinical trial - - KUSI - August 7th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BLCM.OQ earnings conference call or presentation 6-Aug-20 9:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- NICE Amends Guidance on Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation During the Pandemic - Medscape - August 6th, 2020
- AlloVir raises $276M IPO to run broad cell therapy program - FierceBiotech - August 6th, 2020
- Identification and Treatment of Tuberculosis in Pediatric Recipients o | IDR - Dove Medical Press - August 6th, 2020
- Unproven 'stem cell' therapies for COVID-19 pose harm to public, says UB expert - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at... - August 4th, 2020
- Future Prospects of Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Medivet Biologics LLC,... - August 4th, 2020
- Placental Stem Cell Collection and Storage Market 2020 Segmented by Major Market Players, Types, Applications and Countries Forecast to 2026 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Cytovia Therapeutics Acquires Worldwide Rights to CytoImmune Therapeutics' First-In-Class EGFR Dual-targeting CAR for NK Cell Treatment of... - August 4th, 2020
- UPDATE - Cytovia Therapeutics Acquires Worldwide Rights to CytoImmune Therapeutics' First-In-Class EGFR Dual-targeting CAR for NK Cell Treatment of... - August 4th, 2020
- MediVet Biologics Rebrands as Ardent Animal Health - PR Web - August 4th, 2020
- FDA-approved treatment puts rare cancer with skin manifestations on the map - Dermatology Times - August 4th, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - WAM EN - August 4th, 2020
- Latest Research on Autologous Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Application, Industry Share, End User with top players BioTime, Inc., BrainStorm Cell... - August 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand And Forecast To 2022 - Market Research Correspondent - August 4th, 2020
- What is Stem Cell Therapy? - August 3rd, 2020
- Nine Things To Know About Stem Cell Treatments A Closer ... - August 3rd, 2020
- With over 280 therapies under evaluation, the stem cell therapy market is estimated to be worth USD 8.5 Billion by 2030, claims Roots Analysis -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market to Reach US$ Million at xx% CAGR During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- Good-Risk Group of Patients With Myeloma Saw Better Outcomes - Cancer Therapy Advisor - August 3rd, 2020
- 'Year of Preparations for the Next Fifty Years' will contribute to country's development process - Emirates News Agency - August 3rd, 2020
- Stem Cell-Derived Cells Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2019 2029 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- UAE's first bone marrow transplant patient tells of life-saving treatment - The National - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market is estimated to reach close to USD 11 Billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - Market Research Posts - August 3rd, 2020
- Genmab Announces European Myeloma Network and Janssen Achieve Positive Topline Results from Phase 3 APOLLO Study of Daratumumab in Combination with... - August 3rd, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Growth, Trends and Value Chain 2019-2025 - Owned - August 3rd, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim acquires GST to strengthen its stem cell capabilities in Animal Health - Business Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Shares, Strategies and Forecast Worldwide, 2018 to 2028 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- FDA Approves Tafasitamab-cxix in Combination With Lenalidomide for the Treatment of DLBCL - Pharmacy Times - August 3rd, 2020