Selinexor (Xpovio) may serve as a favorable therapeutic option for patients with relapsed/refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) who are not eligible for intensive chemotherapy or CAR T-cell therapy, according to Brian T. Hill, MD, PhD, who added that the agent is now being explored in combination as well as in earlier lines of treatment.
In June 2020, the FDA approved selinexor for the treatment of patients with relapsed/refractory DLBCL, not otherwise specified, including DLBCL arising from follicular lymphoma, following at least 2 lines of systemic therapy.
The regulatory decision was based on data from the phase 2b SADAL trial(NCT02227251),in which the agent elicited a 29% overall response rate (ORR; 95% CI, 22-38) in a total of 129 patients with DLBCL after 2 to 5 systemic regimens; this included a complete response rate of 13%. Notably, 38% of patients who achieved a partial response or CR had response durations of at least 6 months; 15% had response durations that persisted for at least 12 months. These responses were encouraging, noted Hill, especially for such a heavily pretreated population.
Selinexor is an oral agent that can potentially be taken for prolonged periods of time with adequate supportive care and monitoring for adverse effects (AEs); that's new to the field and new to this disease, said Hill. All of the effective therapies we've had previously have been exclusively intravenous or rely on intravenous therapy. Particularly for older patients who are not candidates for intensive therapy such as autologous stem cell transplant or CAR T-cell therapy, [selinexor] may represent a viable treatment strategy.
In an interview withOncLive,Hill, director of the Lymphoid Malignancies Program and a staff physician at the Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Institute, shed light on XPO1 as a target in DLBCL, the emergence of selinexor in the treatment landscape, and exciting agents in the pipeline.
OncLive: Could you start off by describing the challenges faced in managing heavily pretreated patients with DLBCL?
Hill: After [progression on] frontline therapy, patients with DLBCL are at high risk for [additional] treatment failure and poor survival. We had autologous stem cell transplant for appropriate candidates and now we have CAR T-cell therapy, as well. However, beyond those 2 relatively intense modalities of treatment, historically, we've had very few tools to treat patients who are in a deep relapsed or refractory state.
How has treatment evolved in recent years?
The major change in the treatment of [patients with] relapsed DLBCL was introduced a couple of years ago with the FDA approval of CAR T-cell therapy. Before this modality, we really did not have any good [methods for] achieving durable remission for patients who had relapsed after autologous stem cell transplant, or for those who could never achieve sufficient disease control or have enough chemosensitivity to make it to transplant.
We're now in this postCAR T era, but the reality is that the rate of durable remission in the best of circumstances, even with CAR T-cell therapy, [ranges from approximately] 40% to 50% [of patients who go on to achieve] durable remission. That means that even with CAR T cells, over half of patients are still going to progress on their treatment. There's still an unmet need for effective therapies that can keep patients going beyond that.
Could you speak to XPO1 as a target in this disease?
XPO1 is a nuclear export protein, which shuttles various transcription factors and other regulatory proteins in and out of the cell nucleus. By inhibiting XPO1 with the selective nuclear export inhibitor selinexor, their cell undergoes apoptosis through a variety of mechanisms. This is a novel target we haven't had before in oncology.
Selinexor was recently approved by the FDA. Could you speak to thefindings from the phase 2b SADAL trialthat led to its approval?
Selinexor was previously FDA approved for use in heavily pretreated multiple myeloma and [the agent] recently gained approval for relapsed/refractory DLBCL based on findings from the SADAL trial. This [trial was done in] a heavily pretreated patient population, many of whom received multiple lines of previous therapy, including autologous stem cell transplant. In these patients, selinexor was given orally twice a week at a couple of different doses, either 100 mg or 60 mg. The toxicity seen at the high dose was significant in terms of cytopenia and gastrointestinal [AEs]. However, those AEs [were reduced when the drug was given] at the dose of 60 mg twice a week. The ORR was [around] 30%, which for a heavily pretreated patient population is very reasonable.
Is selinexor under examination in any other clinical trials?
As is frequently the case with new drug approvals, selinexor was shown to have activity in an extensively pretreated patient population. The natural progression of [research and] development is going to be to move the agent into earlier lines of treatment.
Right now, the drug is being [evaluated in] various second- and third-line platinum-based chemotherapy combinations that still have activity in DLBCL; the potential that this may be additive [in terms of] efficacy without additional toxicity is being examined, as well.
Beyond this agent, are any efforts examining XPO1 inhibition?
This target is now being explored in a wide variety of malignancies. In addition to multiple myeloma and DLBCL, [XPO1 inhibitors] now being combined with other pathway inhibitors, both for hematologic malignancies and for solid tumors.
Are any other notable agents coming down the pike that you wanted to highlight?
Just within the past year, we've had 3 drugs approved in the relapsed/refractory DLBCL setting. We have the antibody-drug conjugate polatuzumab vedotin(Polivy); the monoclonal antibody [targeted] against CD19, tafasitamab-cxix (Monjuvi), which is used in combination with lenalidomide(Revlimid); and selinexor.
[These agents are] welcome additions; [its important] to have more than 1 option [for] this patient population because it's unlikely that any of these [agents] are going to be curative. However, if were able to extend the patient's wellbeing and livelihood for a period of time following progression on curative intent therapy, [were] still clinically benefitting them.
FDA approves selinexor for relapsed/refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. News release. FDA. June 22, 2020. Accessed August 30, 2020. bit.ly/37VnEXd.
- Comprehensive Report on Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | ANIMAL CELL THERAPIES,... - December 22nd, 2020
- I Peace, Inc. and Avery Therapeutics announce collaboration to bring iPSC derived cell therapy for heart failure to the clinic - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Successful Application of ImmCelz Immunotherapy for Treatment of Stroke - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Glycostem and Ghent University sign license agreement on NK cell therapy technology - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to See Massive Growth by 2026 Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive - Farming Sector - December 22nd, 2020
- Medicine by Design symposium highlights importance of convergence in regenerative medicine and human health - News@UofT - December 22nd, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market: Development, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - December 22nd, 2020
- ONK Therapeutics Announces Three Exclusive Option License Agreements, Which Extend and Strengthen its Dual-Targeted NK Cell Therapy Pipeline -... - December 22nd, 2020
- New Combination Therapy Tested By Children's May Offer Hope For Leukemia Patients - WVXU - December 22nd, 2020
- Ashley Cain says over 80,000 people registered for stem cell donation in 48 hours after appeal to save baby - The Sun - December 22nd, 2020
- Bayer and Atara Biotherapeutics Enter Strategic Collaboration for Mesothelin-Targeted CAR T-cell Therapies for Solid Tumors - Business Wire - December 7th, 2020
- New Cedars-Sinai Biomanufacturing Center to Spur Cell Therapies - Newswise - December 7th, 2020
- ALLO-715, Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy, Produces Early Promise in Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Network - December 7th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy in coronavirus disease 2019: current evidence and future potential - DocWire News - December 7th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics and bluebird bio Announce a Phase 2 Clinical Trial Collaboration to Evaluate Magenta's MGTA-145 for Mobilizing and Collecting... - December 7th, 2020
- Treatment to restore vision by injecting stem cells into the eye could help people with damaged eyesight - iNews - December 7th, 2020
- Bayer creates cell and gene therapy platform to support partners - FierceBiotech - December 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 7th, 2020
- ASH Goes Remote as CAR T-Cell Therapy Competition Heats Up - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 7th, 2020
- Hematologist Discusses the Impact a Myeloma CAR T-Cell Approval Would Have on the Treatment Landscape - DocWire News - December 7th, 2020
- Cilta-Cel CAR T-cell Therapy Impresses With High ORR in R/R Multiple Myeloma - Targeted Oncology - December 7th, 2020
- Are stable producer cells the future of viral vector manufacturing and when will allogeneic cell therapy take hold? - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 7th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Detailed Analysis Of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 7th, 2020
- Not All Patients With Relapsed DLBCL Referred for CAR T in Community Setting - Targeted Oncology - December 7th, 2020
- CRISPR and another genetic strategy fix cell defects in two common blood disorders - Science Magazine - December 7th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 7th, 2020
- UCLA receives $7.3 million grant to build state-of-the-art facility for developing gene, cell therapies - UCLA Newsroom - December 7th, 2020
- Celyad Oncology Provides Updates on Allogeneic and Autologous CAR T Programs at 62nd ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition - GlobeNewswire - December 7th, 2020
- Evolving Standards and Heated Debates in the Treatment of Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - December 7th, 2020
- New Drug Could Improve Effectiveness of Stem Cell Therapy - Pain News Network - December 4th, 2020
- Repairing the Brain With Stem Cells? A Conversation With Prof. Jack Price - Being Patient - December 4th, 2020
- Hematologist/Stem Cell Biologist to Direct Hematology and Cellular Therapy at Cedars-Sinai - Newswise - December 4th, 2020
- CRISPR tagging used to grow neuronal cells from stem cells - Drug Target Review - December 4th, 2020
- How Stem Cell Therapy Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - December 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 4th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Expansion Projected to Gain an Uptick During 2020-2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 4th, 2020
- IN8bio announces first-in-human Phase 1 trial Update from The University of Kansas Cancer Center using INB-100, IN8bios Gamma Delta T-cell product... - December 4th, 2020
- Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects By... - December 4th, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Shows Promising Early Results in Children With Neuroblastoma - Technology Networks - December 4th, 2020
- Global Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report by Size, Data, Developments, Global Demand, In-Depth Analysis and Forecast 2020 to 2025 |... - November 27th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2025 - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Celularity Announces Dosing of First Patient in Phase I Study of Human Placental Hematopoietic Stem Cell-Derived Natural Killer Cells (CYNK-001) in... - November 27th, 2020
- Scientists Reveal a New Drug That Directs Stem Cells To Desired Sites - Science Times - November 27th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Market is estimated to account for US$ 18289.9 Mn by end of 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI) - Business Wire - November 27th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 27th, 2020
- Ash 2020 cell therapy preview the battle for recognition - Vantage - November 27th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 to Flourish with an Impressive CAGR of XX% in the year 2026, Market Size & Growth with Complete Business... - November 27th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market: Worldwide Industry to Boost in the Period of 2020-2025 - Express Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Trends, and Opportunity Analysis, Top Manufacturers And Forecast to 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 19th, 2020
- Global Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Demand, Business Growing Strategies, Industry Segmentation and Forecast 2025 -... - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Trends, Opportunities, New Technologies and Developments, Competitor analysis and Market Sizing from 2020 to 2026 - PRnews... - October 19th, 2020
- Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Demand, Business Growing Strategies, Industry Segmentation and Forecast 2025 - TechnoWeekly - October 19th, 2020
- Notch Therapeutics Strengthens Leadership Team with Appointment of Kamran Alam as CFO and Gregory Block as SVP, Corporate Development - PRNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Verified Market Research - Stock Market Vista - October 19th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 growth factors, latest trend and regional analysis of leading players by 2025 - News by Decresearch - October 19th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Eurowire - October 19th, 2020
- Autologous Cell Therapy Market is Anticipated to Expand at a CAGR of 18.1% from 2019 to 2027 - Eurowire - October 19th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Trend,COVID-19 Impact,Current Industry Figures With Demand By Countries And Future Growth - PRnews Leader - October 19th, 2020
- Gamida Cell and Be The Match BioTherapies Expand Strategic Collaboration - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market to be Worth USD 8 billion by 2030, predicts Roots Analysis - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Novellus Therapeutics Exclusively Licenses Induced Mesenchymal Stem Cells (iMSCs) to NoveCite for COVID-19 Related Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome... - October 19th, 2020
- UofL-born company secures an additional $115 million to advance cell therapy - uoflnews.com - October 19th, 2020
- Global and United States Cancer Stem Cell Therapy Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2025 | AVIVA BioSciences, AdnaGen,... - October 19th, 2020
- Can Stem Cell Therapy Repair Damaged Knees? - September 2nd, 2020
- Vor Biopharma and Metagenomi to Collaborate on Engineered Hematopoietic Stem-Cell Therapies - Business Wire - September 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 cell therapy drives Mesoblast to seek manufacturing muscle - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 2nd, 2020
- New Report Begins a New Era of Stem Cell Science and Medicine: Stem Cell Biotechnology Company Asymmetrex Tells How It Counts Therapeutic Tissue Stem... - September 2nd, 2020
- Optimized Freezing Solutions for Clinical Application of Cell Therapy Products - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Cord Blood Banking Market 2020 with Analysis of 44 Industry Players - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Cartesian Therapeutics Initiates Clinical Trial of First RNA-Engineered Cell Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and COVID-19 - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Stem Cell Therapy Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like Chiesi Pharmaceuticals,... - September 2nd, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Optimization Starts in Production, Extends to Therapy - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 2nd, 2020
- Ruxolitinib May Be Another Option for Children With Steroid Refractory aGVHD - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - September 2nd, 2020
- Growing Focus on R&D Likely to Accelerate the Growth of the Stem Cell Therapy Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Oldest male polar bear on record humanely euthanized at Point Defiance Zoo - MyNorthwest.com - September 2nd, 2020
- FDA Approves First Maintenance Therapy for AML - Medscape - September 2nd, 2020
- Elixirgen Therapeutics planning to begin Phase I/II Clinical Trials of its COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate EXG-5003 at Fujita Health University -... - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Dynamics, Forecast, Analysis and Supply Demand 2018 to 2028 - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Growing at an annualized rate of over 20%, the cell therapy manufacturing market is estimated to reach close to USD 10 Billion by 2030, claims Roots... - September 2nd, 2020