A small group of scientists and clinicians are trying to build awareness of this cancer, and how to diagnose and treat it. While this rare and aggressive hematologic malignancy hasnt had a standardized therapeutic approach in the past, that is also changing. The FDA approved tagraxofusp (Elzonris, Stemline) in 2019 as the first medication indicated to treat BPDCN, according to a drug review published June 24, 2020 in the journal Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy.1
Progress aside, theres still a long way to go in creating awareness among dermatologists, primary care physicians, emergency department providers and pediatricians all of whom are most likely to encounter people with possible BPDCN, says Naveen Pemmaraju,M.D., associate professor in the department of leukemia at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Pemmaraju is senior author on the recent Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy paper, and he led the pivotal study published in April 2019 in the New England Journal of Medicine that led to the FDAs approval of tagraxofusp for the treatment of BPDCN.2
Having the clinical trial is great, but now that the drug is commercially available there was a call for what are the practical considerations for Tagraxofusp in BPDCN? Dr. Pemmaraju says. Thats why we wrote this paper.
Dermatologists, take noteDr. Pemmaraju points to three stand-out practical considerations for providers.
One is that most people in medicine have yet to even hear about the disease, he says. When people on the frontlines see skin lesions, the only way theyre going to know whether its BPDCN is with a biopsy. Tissue is the issue, as they say. If something looks irregular, abnormal and if its clinically indicated to do a biopsy, do a biopsy. A lot of these patients get mistaken for other diseases, infections, other cancers. So, I think the biopsy is important.
The need for expert review goes along with the first practical consideration.
CD123 (interleukin-3 receptor alpha unit) is overexpressed in 100% of BPDCN patients. But thats not the only way to differentiate this cancer on biopsy. CD123, CD4, CD56 as the golden triad of BPDCN, according to Dr. Pemmaraju.
Now we know there are other markers, TCL1, TCF 4, CD303 and others. When you put together these three to six markers, it helps you distinguish BPDCN, which is extraordinarily rare compared to the more common cancers like acute myeloid leukemia (AML), cutis, cutaneous t-cell lymphoma. Obviously, this differentiates completely from skin infections and all these other noncancer entities, Dr. Pemmaraju says.
The second practical consideration is that, although rare diseases commonly have limited-to-no treatment options, a therapy for BPDCN exists and more are being investigated. Studies suggest that BPDCN incidence is as low as 0.44% of all hematologic cancers and 0.7% of cutaneous lymphomas, according to the paper. Despite the low numbers, BPDCN treatment is available with tagraxofusp. Researchers are also conducting multiple clinical trials for BPDCN drugs in development, including the B-cell lymphoma-2 (BCL-2) inhibitor, venetoclax, and a chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy.
The third consideration: The significance of dermatologists and dermatopathologists roles in BPDCN diagnosis.
As we educate our fellow hematologists/oncologists, we must continue to educate dermatologists, many of whom are going to see this disease for the very first time in the clinic before anybody else. I believe BPDCN will soon appear on dermatology and derm-path board exams, Dr. Pemmaraju says.
BPDCN skin lesions usually present as dark and purplish and can be maculopapular.
I would say clinically there is a somewhat distinct look, although I would add the caveat that these lesions act heterogeneously, he says.
Focusing on TagraxofuspResearchers reported that tagraxofusp, aCD123-directed cytotox, demonstrated efficacy in BPDCN patients along with an overall manageable safety profile, according to the NEJM study.
A historically deadly disease, BPDCNs median overall survival after chemotherapy had been 8 to 14 months, according to Dr. Pemmaraju. Hematopoietic stem cell transplant might prolong survival in patients healthy enough to have the stem cell transplant.
Among the 29 previously untreated patients, the survival rates of 59% at 18 months and 52% at 24 months rates that were influenced by the number of patients who went into remission after tagraxofusp therapy and could thus undergo hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation represent an improvement over rates in historically published data. We also observed a 67% overall response rate among previously treated patients. Notably, we report a meaningful survival with tagraxofusp among patients with relapsed or refractory disease (median overall survival, 8.5 months), Dr. Pemmaraju and colleagues report in the NEJM.
Interestingly, patients skin lesions went away rapidly in the vast majority of people treated with tagraxofusp, according to Dr. Pemmaraju.
Capillary leak syndrome emerged as the most drug-associated serious adverse, manifested by edema, tachycardia, hypoalbuminemia and hypotension.
There also is the issue of drug resistance. Researchers have found, in vivo, that resistance to tagraxofusp in cell lines is associated with decreased DPH1 expression and azacitadine might reverse tagraxofusp resistance.
More research is needed to study how combining tagraxofusp with other targeted therapies may improve outcomes. Research also is needed to study tagraxofusp use in pediatric patients. The FDAs approval is for tagraxofusp is as first-line therapy for BPDCN for adults and children ages 2 years and older. But only a small number of pediatric patients have been treated so far, the authors report.
DisclosureMD Anderson funded the study. Dr. Pemmaraju has received research funding/clinical trials support from Affymetrix, SagerStrong Foundation, Novaris, Stemline, Samus, AbbVie, Cellectis, Daiichi Sankyo, and Plexxikon.
1. Lee SS, Mccue D, Pemmaraju N. Tagraxofusp as treatment for patients with blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2020;:1-8.
2. Pemmaraju N, Lane AA, Sweet KL, et al. Tagraxofusp in Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic-Cell Neoplasm. N Engl J Med. 2019;380(17):1628-1637.
Go here to read the rest:
- Mayo Clinic Q and A: Stem cell therapy for arthritis ... - November 29th, 2021
- FDA Warns About Stem Cell Therapies | FDA - November 29th, 2021
- A Cure for Type 1 Diabetes? For One Man, It Seems to Have Worked. - The New York Times - November 29th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Markets, 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - November 29th, 2021
- Neuroplast secures 10 million in funding to boost clinical development of stem cell therapy for traumatic spinal cord injuries - Spinal News... - November 29th, 2021
- Innovating Reversible Cell Therapies With RNA - Technology Networks - November 29th, 2021
- US Stem Cell Therapy Market size and analysis by leading manufacturers, application and types 2021-2027 Energy Siren - Energy Siren - November 29th, 2021
- InGeneron Publishes Significant Support for the Existence of Naturally Pluripotent Stem Cells in All Organs in the Adult Body - Galveston County Daily... - November 29th, 2021
- Susanna Park inducted as holder of Roth Endowed Chair for Discovery, Education and Patient Care - UC Davis Health - November 29th, 2021
- Covid vaccine: Stem cell transplant patients who must be completely re-vaccinated struggling to book jabs - iNews - November 29th, 2021
- Immunomic Therapeutics Announces Collaboration With iOncologi - BioSpace - November 29th, 2021
- An Against-the-Odds Cancer Story Can Be Yours - Curetoday.com - November 29th, 2021
- Calls for stem cell donation to change in Australia to reduce reliance on overseas donors - ABC News - November 29th, 2021
- The Expanding Role of Interferons in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms - Targeted Oncology - November 29th, 2021
- Dr. Van Rhee on Future Research Directions for CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - September 5th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market | Exclusive Report on the Latest Market Trends and Development - PharmiWeb.com - September 5th, 2021
- MD Anderson Now to Offer Solution for Cellular Therapy Toxicities - Targeted Oncology - September 5th, 2021
- NCCN Issues Updated Guidelines Regarding Third COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Those With Cancer - Cancer Network - September 5th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Receives Patent in Japan Related to its Off-the-Shelf ThermoStem Program - GuruFocus.com - September 5th, 2021
- Jury awards North Texas doctor $7.8 million in lawsuit over his partner locking him out - The Dallas Morning News - September 5th, 2021
- Iomab-B Shows Early Promise Versus Standard Therapy in Elderly R/R AML - Targeted Oncology - September 5th, 2021
- Pirtobrutinib Exhibits Promising Efficacy in Heavily Pretreated MCL and Other Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas - OncLive - September 5th, 2021
- MD Anderson and Bellicum Announce Additional License Agreement for Use of CaspaCIDe Safety Switch - Newswise - September 5th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market by Sales, Revenue, Price and Gross Margin (2021-2027) UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - September 5th, 2021
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- FDA Green Lights Trials of New Type 1 Diabetes Stem Cell Therapy - A Sweet Life - February 7th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 7th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 7th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 7th, 2021
- Westin Evaluates Management of DLBCL With CAR T-Cell Therapy - Targeted Oncology - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells' efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy treatment introduced in Pakistan - The Nation - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Information, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2026 - The Courier - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size to Reach USD 5,040 Million by 2028 | Rising Public-Private Investments and Developing Regulatory Framework for Stem Cell... - February 1st, 2021
- ProgenCell - Stem Cell Therapies offers an updated Stem Cell Therapy for Anti Aging Protocol - PR Web - February 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021: Global Key Players, Trends, Share, Industry Size, Segmentation, Forecast To 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - February 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Recruitment Therapy Registration Awarded by U.S. Patent & Trademark Office for Russell Health - MDJOnline.com - February 1st, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Firms Gear up to Revolutionize Manufacturing - Labiotech.eu - February 1st, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Consumption Market Report By Application, Type, Top Companies, Growth, Regional Outlook, and Forecast to 2027 Murphy's... - February 1st, 2021
- Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug (IND) Application for VX-880, a Novel Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes... - February 1st, 2021
- Dancing on Ice's Colin Jackson to get stem cell op as he's got 'knees of 85-year-old' - Irish Mirror - February 1st, 2021
- Advanced Pancreatic Cancer Pipeline Therapeutics and Analysis, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 1st, 2021
- ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. Announces Expansion of Pre-Clinical and Translational Development Team to Support Gene and Stem Cell Therapy Partners -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Segmentation, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - January 30th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2026 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 30th, 2021
- Researchers use patients' cells to test gene therapy for rare eye disease - National Institutes of Health - January 30th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Key Addition To Its Executive Leadership Team With Dirk Huebner MD Joining As Chief Medical Officer - PRNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 30th, 2021
- Tevogen Bio Secures Funding from Team of Doctors to Support Clinical Trials of Its Investigational Curative T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Protein identified that may help treat Parkinsons disease - Medical News Today - January 30th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Comprehensive Presence at 2021 WORLDSymposium - GlobeNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | ANIMAL CELL THERAPIES,... - December 22nd, 2020
- I Peace, Inc. and Avery Therapeutics announce collaboration to bring iPSC derived cell therapy for heart failure to the clinic - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Successful Application of ImmCelz Immunotherapy for Treatment of Stroke - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Glycostem and Ghent University sign license agreement on NK cell therapy technology - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to See Massive Growth by 2026 Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive - Farming Sector - December 22nd, 2020
- Medicine by Design symposium highlights importance of convergence in regenerative medicine and human health - News@UofT - December 22nd, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market: Development, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - December 22nd, 2020
- ONK Therapeutics Announces Three Exclusive Option License Agreements, Which Extend and Strengthen its Dual-Targeted NK Cell Therapy Pipeline -... - December 22nd, 2020
- New Combination Therapy Tested By Children's May Offer Hope For Leukemia Patients - WVXU - December 22nd, 2020
- Ashley Cain says over 80,000 people registered for stem cell donation in 48 hours after appeal to save baby - The Sun - December 22nd, 2020
- Bayer and Atara Biotherapeutics Enter Strategic Collaboration for Mesothelin-Targeted CAR T-cell Therapies for Solid Tumors - Business Wire - December 7th, 2020
- New Cedars-Sinai Biomanufacturing Center to Spur Cell Therapies - Newswise - December 7th, 2020
- ALLO-715, Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy, Produces Early Promise in Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Network - December 7th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy in coronavirus disease 2019: current evidence and future potential - DocWire News - December 7th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics and bluebird bio Announce a Phase 2 Clinical Trial Collaboration to Evaluate Magenta's MGTA-145 for Mobilizing and Collecting... - December 7th, 2020
- Treatment to restore vision by injecting stem cells into the eye could help people with damaged eyesight - iNews - December 7th, 2020
- Bayer creates cell and gene therapy platform to support partners - FierceBiotech - December 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 7th, 2020
- ASH Goes Remote as CAR T-Cell Therapy Competition Heats Up - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 7th, 2020
- Hematologist Discusses the Impact a Myeloma CAR T-Cell Approval Would Have on the Treatment Landscape - DocWire News - December 7th, 2020
- Cilta-Cel CAR T-cell Therapy Impresses With High ORR in R/R Multiple Myeloma - Targeted Oncology - December 7th, 2020
- Are stable producer cells the future of viral vector manufacturing and when will allogeneic cell therapy take hold? - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 7th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market Detailed Analysis Of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 7th, 2020
- Not All Patients With Relapsed DLBCL Referred for CAR T in Community Setting - Targeted Oncology - December 7th, 2020
- CRISPR and another genetic strategy fix cell defects in two common blood disorders - Science Magazine - December 7th, 2020
- Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2020-2027 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 7th, 2020
- UCLA receives $7.3 million grant to build state-of-the-art facility for developing gene, cell therapies - UCLA Newsroom - December 7th, 2020
- Celyad Oncology Provides Updates on Allogeneic and Autologous CAR T Programs at 62nd ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition - GlobeNewswire - December 7th, 2020
- Evolving Standards and Heated Debates in the Treatment of Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma - Curetoday.com - December 7th, 2020