Dr Salem Nanjundaiah Subba Rao  |  Photo Credit: BCCL
The great Gandhian Dr Salem Nanjundaiah Subba Rao seems to exemplify the verve and spirit that Mahatma Gandhi personified. A nonagenarian, he is one of the fortunate few who have met Mahatma Gandhi in flesh and blood and has been enriched by the encounter.
Invited by the Harijan Sevak Samaj to Delhi as part of the celebrations to commemorate 150 years of Gandhi, SN Subba Rao was brimming with enthusiasm and energy, maugre his 90-plus years of age, and raring to bring about a positive change in society. Lean, standing erect and dressed in simple khadi clothes, he burst into the boisterous song 'Jai Jagat', which was the clarion call of Vinoba Bhave. Even at this age, he does not hesitate to wear shorts or engage in social work with youth with the same vigour and passion. It is only befitting that a person like him founded the National Youth Project.
(Dr Salem Nanjundaiah Subba Rao | Picture Credit- BCCL)
Addressing the gathering, he started by giving a perspective, A frail lady wearing a Rs 100 saree was welcomed in the White House by the then US President. The room was full of millionaires, and the elite of US and other countries, when she said, I have come from a rich country India to your poor country of the United States. Explaining, she added, In the midst of your material world, I have experienced a total bankruptcy of spirituality in your country. The President heard all this dumbfounded and in silence, because the lady was neither a political leader nor an industrial magnet. She was Mother Teresa.
(Mother Teresa| Picture Credit- BCCL)
Subba Rao, who holds youth camps across the world, exclaimed, Traversing the length and breadth of India, I am searching - where is the great spiritual effulgence of this country? So many atrocities are taking place in the country. Even young children are getting raped, and murders are reported daily in Delhi.
Rao proclaimed that, to his understanding, Indias greatness lay not in gold or silver but in its spiritual heritage. He then cited an incident related withSwami Vivekananda to expound what he indicated.
Punjab Bhakta Mandal representatives approached Swami Vivekananda for spiritual learning. Swamiji asked them what the conditions in Punjab were as he had heard about the terrible famine. They replied in affirmative but said that they had come to receive spiritual enlightenment. Swami Vivekananda then questioned them about the condition of farmers due to the famine. The Bhakta Mandal representatives informed that things were dismal, but again pressed him for spiritual knowledge. For a third time, Swami ji asked them whether there was adequate fodder and water for cattle. The Bhakta Mandal representatives replied in the negative and then exasperatedly cried, We are asking for guidance on a spiritual path while you are talking only about the lack of rains and the consequences thereof; we are unable to understand you!
The revolutionary Swami Vivekananda had clarified, So long as even a dog is hungry in my country, my spirituality demands that we need to first find food for the dog!
(Swami Vivekananda| Picture Credit- Twitter)
Subba Rao always carries this invaluable lesson in his heart. He said, In my country, 25-30 crore people cant manage to get two square meals. Its good that you pray, it is good that you take a dip in the Holy Ganges, but spirituality also means you extend help to the poor and hungry in your neighbourhood and those desperately seeking some form of employment.
Demonstrating how Gandhi ji's life was a living example of the morals he espoused, Rao narrated, One day a priest visited Gandhi, who was busy spinning his charka. The priest said that he had heard that Mahatma was the embodiment of non-violence. The priest then questioned him, Mr Gandhi, Jesus Christ said love thy enemy like thyself. What are your comments? Gandhi ji kept spinning his wheel without answering. After a few minutes, the priest repeated the question, and then again. After a long pause, Gandhi ji responded, I had heard you the first time itself. I was thinking about it. The thing is that I dont consider anybody as my enemy in the first place.
The priest was stumped and impressed at the same time. The priest then quietly added, Mr Gandhi, you have gone a step ahead of Jesus Christ! Gandhi drew a lot of inspiration from Jesus Christ in his life, but went even beyond that thought process. This is the definition of spirituality.
(Mahatma Gandhi| Picture Credit- BCCL)
Rao, who is also a fellow of the Gandhi Peace Foundation, bemoaned that today religion has become the reason behind the conflict. Karl Marx had grown so weary of religion due to repeated instances of war that he felt that the concept of religion itself should be wiped out. And that is how Communism spread. But real spirituality has its own energy because, after merely 50 years, religion has made a comeback. There are now only four countries who continue with the same thought process China, Cuba, Vietnam and North Korea.
Subba Rao concluded by saying that India needs to put forth the correct picture of spirituality to the world: Aham Brahmasmi I am Brahma. The sages have explained. Wakeup in the morning and ponder over the element that enlivens nature, rivers and the trees, so that you too can draw energy from it. And come to realise that the same element exists within all of us.
- Chant of the Buddha - Part II - Outlook India - September 26th, 2020
- Tantra exhibition review: An enjoyable journey on the road to enlightenment - Evening Standard - September 26th, 2020
- The Revolutionary Beethoven - Dissent - September 26th, 2020
- Review: Capital in the 21st Century - Camden New Journal newspapers website - September 26th, 2020
- Finding God: Christianity and the Global Mystical Societies - THISDAY Newspapers - September 26th, 2020
- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith Used This Parenting Technique That Inspired Jaden and Willow To Be Unusually Close - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 26th, 2020
- The art of tantra: is there more to it than marathon sex and massages? - The Guardian - September 26th, 2020
- Saying goodbye to the Israeli one-state prophet - +972 Magazine - September 26th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment: What It Is and How to Experience It - August 10th, 2020
- 5 Things You Should Know About Spiritual Enlightenment ... - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - Truths & Paths | Live and Dare - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - How To Become Enlightened - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - The Most Profound Truth Revealed ... - August 10th, 2020
- What Is Spiritual Enlightenment or Spiritual Awakening? - August 10th, 2020
- The 3 Stages Of Spiritual Enlightenment : In5D - August 10th, 2020
- SERMONETTE: Seek the Holy Spirit and hold on! - Crow River Media - August 10th, 2020
- What Is Spiritual Bypassing? 7 Steps To Avoiding Toxic Spirituality - YourTango - August 10th, 2020
- Will Tammy Duckworth be the first deist veep since Thomas Jefferson? - Religion News Service - August 10th, 2020
- Jamila Woods' "SULA (Paperback)" and Creative Ancestry and Self-Love in the Age of "List" Activism - PopMatters - August 10th, 2020
- Creation, conscience and the bomb | Earthbeat - National Catholic Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- DREAMS OF WALDEN POND: The Way of Liberal Religion - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- Let's Show Power! Rev Abbeam Danso and Apostle Nkum challenge The Mystic Twins to open battle - GhanaWeb - August 10th, 2020
- Jacob S. Rugh: An open letter to the BYU Committee on Race, Equity, and Belonging - Salt Lake Tribune - August 10th, 2020
- Your Weekly Horoscope News: August 10th - August 17th - Sporteluxe - August 10th, 2020
- #482 Author and Intuitive Michael McAdams and His Book, An Angel Told Me So - BlogTalkRadio - August 8th, 2020
- Hinduism Survived Years Of Raids Through Its Inclusiveness, Not Violence And Bloodshed - Outlook India - August 8th, 2020
- A rebuttal to Sam George's mid-length propaganda: "The path to enlightenment ain't easy. We get it through trial, struggle, self-flagellation.... - August 8th, 2020
- Dimension of Krishna Sadhana - The New Indian Express - August 8th, 2020
- Why Bodh Gaya is Considered the Navel of the Earth - Ancient Origins - August 8th, 2020
- 6 Facts About Water Lilies That Will Make You Love Them Even More - MSN Money - August 8th, 2020
- Satan in the Times | John Mark N. Reynolds - Patheos - August 8th, 2020
- How To Meditate, Body Scan, Breathe Mindfully And Become More Present - elle.com - August 8th, 2020
- When panic disorder hits a nation - The Star Online - August 8th, 2020
- World Teacher and Happy Science Founder Ryuho Okawa Introduces Four Principles of Happiness that Transcends Race and Religion in His New Book... - August 8th, 2020
- ARTIST: Zachary Ian Garden featured in The Art of Tattooists - The News Herald - August 7th, 2020
- Honey I Joined A Cult Coming To Brainwash PCs in 2021 - GameSpace.com - August 7th, 2020
- Pick of the Podcasts: Guru, Calm Down Dear, Give Me Some Good News - The Sunday Post - August 7th, 2020
- Excerpt: From the Translators Note to Rumi; A New Collection Selected and Translated by Farrukh Dh... - Hindustan Times - August 6th, 2020
- 'History will judge us' Have progressive UK rabbis reached end of the road on Israel? - Mondoweiss - August 6th, 2020
- Chulayarnnon Siriphol on Finding Ways to Express Opinions - Ocula Magazine - August 6th, 2020
- Speech and Slavery in the West Indies | by Fara Dabhoiwala - The New York Review of Books - August 6th, 2020
- Power of 5am thoughts - The New Indian Express - August 4th, 2020
- India is a spiritual country, but we're still not taking the wealth of the Bhagavad Gita: Vedanta scholar Jaya Row - The New Indian Express - August 4th, 2020
- The Sacrifice of All Doubts - Kashmir Reader - August 4th, 2020
- View the awe-inspiring Hermitage of St. Sava - Aleteia IT - August 4th, 2020
- A Suitable Boy: Seven films to watch that are set in India - Spectator.co.uk - August 3rd, 2020
- Chingy wants to uplift with self-reflective new album, 'Crown Jewel' - STLtoday.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Feds sprayed chemicals into the eyes of a retired ER nurse and veteran - Street Roots News - August 3rd, 2020
- The American Founding vindicated against its foes on the Right and Left - MercatorNet - August 3rd, 2020
- Lam Tian Xings Anthem of the Calamus is an ode to Hong Kongs resilient spirit - Lifestyle Asia - August 3rd, 2020
- Asking the Clergy: Why is patience a virtue in difficult times? - Newsday - July 31st, 2020
- El Topo: The weirdest western ever made - BBC News - July 29th, 2020
- Lam Tian-xings Anthem of the Calamus is an ode to Hong Kongs resilient spirit - Lifestyle Asia - July 29th, 2020
- Corruption, the Devaluation of the Human Spirit and the Futures of Black Humanity (2) - The News - July 29th, 2020
- 'It took genius to chisel these buttocks' the top 10 bottoms in art, chosen by our critic - The Guardian - July 29th, 2020
- Hippy In the Mikvah - Lubavitch.com - July 29th, 2020
- Author Louis Belmont announces new article series on the Spirituality Industry - PR Web - July 27th, 2020
- Underground Seven Room Khankah Cave Of Kashmir Discovered At Shah Nugri Mawal Handwara - 5 Dariya News - July 27th, 2020
- How Staying Away From Sex and Masturbation Helped Me Become a Millionaire - VICE - July 27th, 2020
- Vice President asks students not to get disturbed by the Covid induced disruption in academic schedule - India Education Diary - July 27th, 2020
- History will judge us Have Progressive Rabbis reached the end of the road on Israel? - Patheos - July 27th, 2020
- Olis claim that Ram was born in Nepal highlights dangers of mixing pop nationalism with pop history - Scroll.in - July 27th, 2020
- Lightworkers Sanctuary Has Taken Precautions During The Coronavirus Shutdown And Is Now Open - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 25th, 2020
- John Dunbars Mystical Transformation in Dances with Wolves - Film School Rejects - July 25th, 2020
- 'Museums must evolve or they will not exist': Curator Adam Szymczyk Speaks Out on the Future of Museums, Colonialism and his documenta 14 - frieze.com - July 25th, 2020
- How Taiwanese death rituals have adapted for families living in the US - The Conversation US - July 25th, 2020
- As I See It: Dealing with golfs ugly history and contradictions - Worcester Telegram - July 25th, 2020
- Listen up to be inspired and have your spirits lifted - Bishop's Stortford Independent - July 25th, 2020
- A Beginners Guide to Healing Crystals With Amber the Alchemist - Vogue - July 22nd, 2020
- The Seeker: Show Love Its the Bhagavad Way - qcnerve.com - July 22nd, 2020
- Are You An Assimilated Orthodox Jew? - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com - July 22nd, 2020
- How Taiwanese death rituals have adapted for families living in the US - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - July 22nd, 2020
- How Taiwanese death rituals have adapted for families living in the US - Fairfield Citizen - July 21st, 2020
- Obituary: Kelly Preston, who memorably floored Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire film - HeraldScotland - July 19th, 2020
- The parenting show that rises above the surfeit podcasts of the week - The Guardian - July 19th, 2020
- The Adventurous Lectionary The Eighth Sunday after Pentecost July 26, 2020 - Patheos - July 19th, 2020
- Religion and enforcement of COVID-19 protocols - Guardian - July 19th, 2020
- Post-COVID-19 thoughts: Sustainable development and Buddhism - ft.lk - July 19th, 2020
- Kelly Preston and John Travolta: Devoted Scientologist couple tried to resurrect son Jett after his tragic dea - MEAWW - July 18th, 2020
- Christ Above All or The Integration of Faith, Values, and Learning: the Crisis of this Last Age of Man (Part I) - Patheos - July 18th, 2020