When were troubled we look for help where we can find it. If its not friends and family then you might end up looking into self-help.
The industry is worth billions every year, which is no wonder since most of us have dabbled in at least reading a self-help book at one stage or another.
However, there is a dark side of enlightenment.
Where there are desperate people, there are those waiting to offer help for a price, of course.
Self-help gurus are especially big in where else? the US, where seminars, wellness camps and retreats are held for people to get better.
But it all comes with a cost.
In 2009, more than 50 followers of self-help guru James Arthur Ray approached the conclusion of a five-day Spiritual Warrior seminar they paid 8,000 or more to attend.
Rays instructions to followers towards the end of the retreat were to shave their heads, sit in a sweat lodge, and avoid drinking water.
Things didnt go well.
Rays workshop, in Sedona, Arizona, resulted in the deaths of three people, who died after taking part in the sweat lodge ritual.
Here, the mother of one victim, Kirby Brown, speaks in the Guru trailer.
Ray was later found guilty on charges of negligent homicide and sentenced to two years in prison.
According to Wondery, though, hes back in business.
The build up to the ill-fated retreat is covered in Guru, a new podcast from Wondery, hosted by Matthew Stroud.
This new series looks at the incident and how dangerous the self-help scene in the US where the industry is worth an estimated 10 billion can be.
James Arthur Ray isnt the only self-help guru people should have been wary of
Gure, Wondery, Apple Podcasts
Things might be a bit doom and gloom at the moment, but Give Me Some Good News is here to help.
Stand up comedian Nathan Caton is fed up of the negativity in the mainstream media.
So along with radio presenter Rich Wolfenden, Nathan gets a guest on Zoom and asks them to do one thing. Give him some good news! A bit like the anti-Room 101.
Have you ever been so excited about something that someones told you to calm down?
Then this is the podcast for you.Friends and broadcasters Sarah Gosling and Becky Hand are joined each week by a guest known for their enthusiasm to chat about whats gotten them enthused over the past week in culture, work, and life in general, and who inspired them to be like that.
Go here to read the rest:
- Spiritual Meditation: What It Is, Benefits, and How to Practice - July 8th, 2022
- 10 Signs of Spiritual Enlightenment & Awakening - Chopra - July 8th, 2022
- What Does It Feel Like to Be Enlightened? - Scientific American Blog ... - July 8th, 2022
- Moksha - Wikipedia - July 8th, 2022
- Is Kim Kardashian's India-inspired nose ring another case of cultural appropriation? - The National - July 8th, 2022
- The Essence of Karma Yoga | Gudjon Bergmann - Patheos - July 8th, 2022
- A 'friend's thoughts' on yoga, spirituality and life - EasternEye - Eastern Eye - July 8th, 2022
- Asking the Clergy: Vacations that come with a faith component - Newsday - July 8th, 2022
- What do the census findings on religious belief tell us? - Insights News - July 8th, 2022
- American Prodigal: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of Alexander Hamilton - Desiring God - July 8th, 2022
- My Zen God: Some Near Random Thoughts While Reading the Psalms to an Old Friend - Patheos - July 8th, 2022
- The Essence of Bhakti Yoga | Gudjon Bergmann - Patheos - July 8th, 2022
- Guru Purnima 2022 date, tithi timings and other important details - Times Now - July 8th, 2022
- The unknown temple where members believe in 'space gods' and go on mystical journeys - Wales Online - July 8th, 2022
- Jigardan Gadhvi on 'Meru To Dage': It highlights several facets of the path to spiritual enlightenment - Times of India - May 12th, 2022
- Mansions of the Moon - Quill & Quire - May 12th, 2022
- Opinion - On the spiritual concept of land in Africa - New Era - May 12th, 2022
- The First Flight Out of the Cult of Celebrity - Electric Literature - May 12th, 2022
- [Visual History of Korea] Reaching enlightenment, perfection of wisdom through Chamseon - The Korea Herald - May 12th, 2022
- Living in the Saha World Buddhistdoor Global - Buddhistdoor Global - May 12th, 2022
- 'Doctor Strange 2' explained: From the third eye to Illuminati - Los Angeles Times - May 12th, 2022
- 3 breakfast in bed recipes for Mother's Day - The Daily Star - May 12th, 2022
- Violent Femmes Kick Off Their Tour at the Marquee Theater Tuesday, May 10 - Phoenix New Times - May 12th, 2022
- Exclusive Premiere: Laughing In the Sunshine by G. Love - American Songwriter - May 12th, 2022
- Is there a Knox County link to the wild man mystery? - Knox Pages - May 12th, 2022
- Pro-life, regardless of skin color | WORLD - WORLD News Group - May 12th, 2022
- Ben Franklin's Radical Theory of Happiness - The Atlantic - May 12th, 2022
- Thich Nhat Hanhs teachings will continue to be important in a divided world facing large transitions, challenges - The Indian Express - January 25th, 2022
- Non-ordinary States with Breathwork: The shift in perception that is changing lives. - Digital Journal - January 25th, 2022
- New York's Rubin Museum of Art hosts an unusual spiritual and creative experience - Architectural Digest India - January 25th, 2022
- Inside the eerie rise of Witchtok as TikTokers share spells to hex cheating exes - New York Post - January 25th, 2022
- Contentment is the ultimate goal as we age, but it's not something that comes automatically - The Topeka Capital-Journal - January 25th, 2022
- Our Words of the Year 2021, and What They May Be Telling Us - Psychiatric Times - January 25th, 2022
- Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom Review: Remote Learning - The New York Times - January 25th, 2022
- Parables of Time and Eternity by Keith Ward - Church Times - January 25th, 2022
- Did you go through a breakup, divorce recently? If yes, here are some ways to deal with heartbreaks - Asianet Newsable - January 25th, 2022
- A Glimpse Of What History Of Science Would Look Like If It Wasn't Averse To The 'H' Word - Swarajya - January 25th, 2022
- My Gentle, Intelligent Brother Is Now A Conspiracy Theorist And His Beliefs Are Shocking - HuffPost - January 25th, 2022
- On Not Throwing the Baby Out With the Bathwater - Patheos - January 25th, 2022
- Inside the Mental Health Retreat Where NFL Players Go to Heal - menshealth.com - January 25th, 2022
- Author and Healer Helps Readers Find Spiritual Enlightenment and Uncover Their Truest Purpose in New Guidebook - PR Web - January 11th, 2022
- Debunking Myths and Misconceptions of the Psychedelics Industry - Rolling Stone - January 11th, 2022
- Sis: An openhearted journey into female spirituality - East Bay Express - January 11th, 2022
- Pandemic has caused great stress in our lives in last two years: Atman in Ravi - The Financial Express - January 11th, 2022
- What is the spiritual significance of the wolf moon? An astrologer explains - The bharat express news - January 11th, 2022
- Unlocking potential as Armagh 2025 continues its race for UK City of Culture - Armagh i - January 11th, 2022
- The Best Shows and Movies to Watch This Week: John Cena's Peacemaker, The Tragedy of Macbeth - TV Guide - January 11th, 2022
- Practices From the Inside Out: What is Epiphany All About? - Patheos - January 11th, 2022
- Birth anniversary of 10th Guru of Sikhs Sri Guru Gobind Singh was celebrated with great enthusiasm - Punjab News Express - January 11th, 2022
- Spiritual Enlightenment: What It Is and How to Experience It - November 10th, 2020
- 5 Things You Should Know About Spiritual Enlightenment ... - November 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - Truths & Paths | Live and Dare - November 10th, 2020
- The 3 Stages Of Spiritual Enlightenment : In5D - November 10th, 2020
- What Is Spiritual Enlightenment or Spiritual Awakening? - November 10th, 2020
- Is there a spiritual side to dealing with the Covid-19 pandemic? - RTE.ie - November 10th, 2020
- National Trust observes Divali with educational presentations - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - November 10th, 2020
- The Wanteds Tom Parker and wife Kelsey say newborn son is light at the end of our tunnel after brain cance - The Sun - November 10th, 2020
- The best response to Islamism is Christianity - Spectator.co.uk - November 10th, 2020
- Astrology 2020: Message of the Day (November 8) - Newsroompost - November 10th, 2020
- Huge chalk art project brings positivity to street on the Outer Banks - OBXToday.com - November 10th, 2020
- The birth of modern Europe - The News International - November 10th, 2020
- NLE Choppa Dated A 46-Year-Old Woman When He Was 16 - HotNewHipHop - November 10th, 2020
- Roy Exum: We Need God's Help - The Chattanoogan - November 10th, 2020
- Faith and Governance: The Role of the Church in Social Justice - THISDAY Newspapers - November 10th, 2020
- When Raving Was Radical - The Nation - November 10th, 2020
- Navigating the Mind: What Medication Cannot Address - James Moore - November 10th, 2020
- No Man's Sky: 10 Things You Didnt Know About The Korvax - TheGamer - November 10th, 2020
- It's Not That Detroit Is Too Poor, But That Seattle Is Too Rich - TheStranger.com - October 19th, 2020
- Eye Gazing Exercise: Possible Benefits and How to Try It - Healthline - October 19th, 2020
- Batman: Bruce Wayne Has The Same Origin Story as The Buddha - Screen Rant - October 19th, 2020
- Fiction: Into the Darkness With Don DeLillo - Wall Street Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Rabbi Art Green (still) believes Hasidic ideas are key to the Jewish future - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 19th, 2020
- Alan Arkin on Hollywood success: 'I was miserable pretty much all of the time' - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- The joy of the Mallorcan landscape - Majorca Daily Bulletin - October 19th, 2020
- Sudbury author explores the power of healing - The Sudbury Star - October 19th, 2020
- The Revolutionary Beethoven - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - October 19th, 2020
- Exercising Religion and Taming Faction - Los Angeles Review of Books - lareviewofbooks - October 19th, 2020
- Op-Ed: The civil rights legend who opposed critical race theory - The Center Square - October 19th, 2020
- Chant of the Buddha - Part II - Outlook India - September 26th, 2020
- Tantra exhibition review: An enjoyable journey on the road to enlightenment - Evening Standard - September 26th, 2020