Q. Does meditating have any real health benefits?
Meditation definitely reduces stress. And too much stress is bad for your health.
There is some research that indicates meditation may help with: allergies, anxiety, asthma, binge eating, cancer, depression, fatigue, heart disease, high blood pressure, pain, sleep difficulties and substance abuse.
I started meditating in 1976, when Dr. Herbert Benson published his book, The Relaxation Response. The techniques he advocated work. In the years since, I've found that, when I forget to meditate, I get a stress buildup. As soon as I meditate, I feel better. And the effects of the meditation carry through the day.
I studied Zen Buddhist meditation, which involves many of the same techniques that Dr. Benson wrote about. Zen meditation is more structured and its purpose is to bring spiritual enlightenment, not just relaxation.
Is there a difference between meditation and prayer? Many sources define prayer as a form of meditation. There are similarities between the two. I would explain it this way: it's possible for an atheist to meditate.
Meditation is classified as a mind-body practice in complementary and alternative medicine. Meditation has been practiced for thousands of years.There are many types of meditation. Most of them originated in ancient spiritual traditions.
How does it work?
If you pay close attention to your mind, you'll find that it has a mind of its own. All day long, the mind brings up thoughts you didn't ask for. Much of your thinking is as involuntary as breathing or circulation. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff your mind regurgitates is negative.
I'm such a failure ... When am I gonna catch a break? ... Everyone is against me ... What's the point of anything? Etc., etc., etc.
Where do these thoughts come from? Years of experiences and the collective consciousness of humankind. They're all stored away just waiting to show their ugly faces. They usually surface when your body/mind is under a lot of stress. When you meditate, you clear away this stress-intensifying garbage.
The primary benefits of meditation are immediate relaxation and a better understanding of how your body, mind and spirit work together so you can handle stressful situations. Over time, you will gain greater peace for yourself and those around you.
I have learned a lot from studying Zen and Eckhart Tolle, a German philosopher who advocates many of the teachings of Zen. In Tolle's book, The Power of Now, he explains that meditation can help you stay in the moment, which is a potent stress-reliever.
The eternal present is the space within which your whole life unfolds, the one factor that remains constant. Life is now. There was never a time when your life was not now, nor will there ever be, Tolle writes.
Past and future are mental constructs. If you dwell upon the past, you can fall into the abyss of guilt, regret, resentment, and many other negative feelings. If you concentrate on the future, you can build up overwhelming obstacles that will make you fearful.
Tolle points out that we are all capable of dealing with the present moment, but no one can rectify imagined mistakes of the past or the projected challenges of a future. Neither the past nor the future exists. Accepting this reality gives you an amazing high.
[More about meditation in our next column.]
See the article here:
- Spiritual Enlightenment: What It Is and How to Experience It - March 16th, 2020
- 5 Things You Should Know About Spiritual Enlightenment ... - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - Truths & Paths | Live and Dare - March 16th, 2020
- What Is Spiritual Enlightenment or Spiritual Awakening? - March 16th, 2020
- Agnes Pelton Joins the Underappreciated Female Artists Finally Getting Their Due With a Major New Show at the Whitney - Vogue - March 16th, 2020
- Jefferson Hack: The Beauty and Violence of Willy Vanderperre's Photography - AnOther Magazine - March 16th, 2020
- We Need to Resacralize the World - lareviewofbooks - March 16th, 2020
- Agnes Pelton Went to the Desert in Search of Solace. Her Paintings at the Whitney Show She Found Something Magical There - artnet News - March 16th, 2020
- Opinion: General Buratai in the eyes of the people by Abe Kolawole - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - March 16th, 2020
- How Rishikesh Became the Capital of Yoga Worldwide - Communal News - March 16th, 2020
- Digital Wisdom in the Time of Coronavirus Disease 2019 - Patheos - March 16th, 2020
- Reflections for the III Sunday of Lent - Vatican News - March 16th, 2020
- Black business and superstition - Bulawayo24 News - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment | Enlightened Beings - March 13th, 2020
- The 3 Stages Of Spiritual Enlightenment : In5D - March 13th, 2020
- Where Is Our World Heading? - Chapter 29 of Positivity Bias - Chabad.org - March 13th, 2020
- Altered perspectives: The 'interactive' Okinawan garden - The Japan Times - March 13th, 2020
- The Haunted California Idyll of German Writers in Exile - The New Yorker - March 13th, 2020
- 5 Themes of Nietzsche That You Can Apply to Your Life - Study Breaks - March 4th, 2020
- Author Shares Personal Journey to Spiritual Awakening, Teaches Readers How to Lift the Veil of Universal Truths in New Book - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Patrick Swayze's 10 Best Movies According to IMDb | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2020
- Leap Year 2020 horoscope: The spiritual significance of February 29 - Express - March 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Sultan of Sokoto goes spiritual, tells Imams action to take - Daily Post Nigeria - March 4th, 2020
- Thousands of Grassroots Religious Freedom Advocates Submit Comments to Urge D.C. Commission on Judicial Disabilities and Tenure Not to Reappoint Judge... - March 4th, 2020
- Asking the Clergy: Important women in your faith tradition - Newsday - March 4th, 2020
- Who Knew? The Bible Really IS On Broadway - Times Daily - March 4th, 2020
- The Joy of Fran - The Cut - March 4th, 2020
- Preserving the art of Kathak - Independent Online - March 4th, 2020
- Brahmarishi Guruvanand on three-day visit to Fiji - Indian NewsLink - March 4th, 2020
- Shannon Cartier Lucy's 7-book guide to turning pain into positive growth - Document Journal - March 4th, 2020
- What's Life All About Anyway? - Thrive Global - March 4th, 2020
- Alex Garland builds a meticulous thriller within the restrained, overstuffed Devs - BingePost - March 4th, 2020
- THE BIRTH OF GOD And What It Can Mean for Us - Patheos - March 4th, 2020
- The non-linearity of modern spirituality/the changing language of self-help: a conversation with Gabi Abro - The Stony Brook Press - February 29th, 2020
- Protecting Mangar Bani: Theres A Need To Empower Local Community To Save Sacred Grove - Outlook India - February 29th, 2020
- Schammasch: Aleister Crowley and the destructive yet divine nature of creation - Louder - February 29th, 2020
- Roy Exum: AG Barr: What Has Happened To Us? - The Chattanoogan - February 29th, 2020
- Have You Accepted the Free Market as Your Personal Savior? - The Bulwark - February 29th, 2020
- From your frequency to another -- how do the laws of attraction work? - Free Press Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Raining in the Mountain - film review - Louder Than War - February 24th, 2020
- Getting the most out of Lent - Arlington Catholic Herald - February 24th, 2020
- A Tribute to Andrew Weatherall - The Mancunion - February 24th, 2020
- I toured a religious commune in Italy, and all I got was spiritual existentialism The Review - University of Delaware Review - February 24th, 2020
- Grant to help Dartmouth museum, libraries better explore knowledge of indigenous peoples - The Union Leader - February 24th, 2020
- The fight to preserve a 44,000-year-old painting | 1843 - The Economist 1843 - February 24th, 2020
- Prayer Walk: An Excerpt From '50 Ways To Pray' - Patheos - February 24th, 2020
- Religion is a Repeating Chapter in the History of Politics - CounterPunch - February 24th, 2020
- Lili Reinhart Claims Luke Perrys Spirit Visited Her Last Night! - The Digital Weekly - February 24th, 2020
- At Fitchburg Art Museum, revisiting Spiritualism and finding new pathways to the dead - The Boston Globe - February 24th, 2020
- The Power of Your Thoughts and Spoken Words (part I and 2) by Steve Robertson - Veterans News Report - February 24th, 2020
- Delicacies and the devout in northern Tsuruoka - The Japan Times - February 24th, 2020
- Louis Althusser's Class Warfare - The New York Review of Books - February 24th, 2020
- Methodist split: Conservative event organizers respond to critics - AL.com - February 24th, 2020
- From government shutdown to business owner: Why a Durham mom launched Bright Black - WRAL.com - February 24th, 2020
- Christianity gave women a dignity that no previous sexual dispensation had offered: Tom Holland - Scroll.in - February 24th, 2020
- Why Bodhisattvas Need to Disrupt the Status Quo - Lion's Roar - February 24th, 2020
- Book review: The story of yoga by Alistair Shearer - Stuff.co.nz - February 24th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - How To Become Enlightened - February 20th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - The Most Profound Truth Revealed ... - February 20th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment | RuneScape Wiki | Fandom - February 20th, 2020
- Religion can be manipulated to control others - Miami County Republic - February 20th, 2020
- Ashkenazim and the Sephardic Pronunciation of Hebrew - Jewish Link of New Jersey - February 20th, 2020
- Profiting from the Prophet - Reaction - February 20th, 2020
- Ramakrishna Paramahansas Birth Anniversary: Interesting Facts About the Indian Mystic - News18 - February 20th, 2020
- 32nd Anniversary: FRSC Offers Free Medical Outreach to Motorists in Bauchi - THISDAY Newspapers - February 20th, 2020
- Convention of 'Christian Witches' to Gather In Salem on Easter Sunday - Breaking Israel News - February 20th, 2020
- Robert Anton Wilson's daughter Christina on the new edition of her father's book, Ishtar Rising - Boing Boing - February 20th, 2020
- What My Epilepsy Taught Me About the Value of Time - The New York Times - February 20th, 2020
- Ram Dass, who sought enlightenment through LSD and became spiritual leader, dead at 88 - San Francisco Chronicle - December 27th, 2019
- An Artist Shares Her Most Striking Images of the Decade - The New York Times - December 27th, 2019
- Kung Fu Nuns in Nepal boost their health in the fight for women's rights - KAKE - December 27th, 2019
- Pay-What-You-Can Russian House #1 in Jenner Is One of Californias Most Eccentric Restaurants - Eater SF - December 27th, 2019
- Kanye West plans to evangelize Americas youth with music: No weapon formed against me shall prosper - The Christian Post - November 19th, 2019
- The Real Housewives of Atlanta Recap: Baby of the House - Vulture - November 19th, 2019
- Who Was the Buddha? - Lion's Roar - November 19th, 2019
- MOVIE REVIEW: Scorsese, De Niro and Pesci at their best in 'The Irishman' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - November 19th, 2019
- The Funeral Traditions of Different Culture and Religion - Agence de presse D.I.A. - November 19th, 2019
- Children in Need events across Gwent - South Wales Argus - November 19th, 2019
- With Kartarpur, Pakistan says: Our arms are always open for you whenever you visit - Gulf News - November 19th, 2019
- The Rights Judeo-Christian Fixation - The New Republic - November 19th, 2019