By Leonardo Blair, Christian Post Reporter | Monday, November 18, 2019 Rapper Kanye West speaks with Pastor Joel Osteen at Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas, on Sunday November 17, 2019. | Photo: Lakewood Church
Popular rapper and music producer Kanye West declared himself a formidable servant of Jesus Sunday as he called America back to God, teased big plans to evangelize the youth through new music and warned agents of the devil that no weapon formed against me shall prosper.
Every time I stand up, I feel that Im standing up and drawing a line in the sand and saying, Im here in service to God and no weapon formed against me shall prosper, West said in a wide-ranging discussion with Pastor Joel Osteen of Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas, before an audience of 17,000, at the churchs 11 a.m. service.
West, who revealed that his mother and father raised him in church and taught him the fear of God, said he now wants to do the same for his children he shares with wife, Kim Kardashian West.
As I now have a family. Im 42 years old, married for five years, there is a latent responsibility for me to become more like my mother, whos gone to Heaven, and more like my father, whos working and building a water purification system in the DR. You know with rappers theres so many things that weve done to maintain the idea of coolness. You know we have our own daughters and wed still be rapping about trying to hook up with somebody daughter, West said.
He explained that he is no longer blinded by the grip fame once had on him.
A lot of times when you are in service to fame, money, manpower, you start to feel like Satan is the most powerful. And you start to feel like if you service God that in life it means you will not prosper. And the only way to prosper is in service to fame. You know its like the devil stole all the good producers, the devil stole all the good musicians, all the good artists, all the good designers, all the good business people and said you got to come over and work for me. And now the trend, the shift is going to change.
Jesus has won the victory. Because now, now I told you about my arrogance and cockiness already, now the greatest artist that God has ever created is now working for Him, he said with a grin.
Looking back at Wests life in the secular music industry which glorifies anything but the fear of God, Osteen asked the rapper if he had any words of advice he could share with his younger self that could have helped him change the trajectory of his life.
While noting that there is nothing he could say that could reach his younger self, West explained that he believes music could and said he was working on new music to evangelize the younger generation.
Its nothing I could say to the younger Kanye through words. I could speak to the younger Kanye through music so this music gon come every month. We dropping that heat. We in the studio. God is strengthening our hands. We have writers, we have producers, were taking all the most fire producers and bringing them back to God. All the best voices, all the best dancers for us to see that its through Christ, West said.
The rapper, 42, who previously revealed that liposuction, a growing addiction to painkillers and wife Kim Kardashians robbery factored into a mental breakdown in 2016, told Osteen that he began feeling Gods call on his life around that time.
I know that God has been calling me for a long time. The devils been distracting me for a long time. When I was in my lowest point, God was there with me and sent me visions and inspiring me. I remember sitting in the hospital at UCLA after having a mental breakdown. Theres documentations of me drawing a church. ... Even after that I made, went and made the Life of Pablo album. I said this is a gospel album, he said.
I didnt know how to totally make a gospel album and Christians that were around were too, I would say, beaten into submission by society and not speak up and profess the Gospel to me because I was a superstar. But the only superstar is Jesus."
West launched his popular Sunday Service events, which generally include prayer and live music, inJanuary 2019. At the time, his wife said her family was on a path to spiritual enlightenment.
The journey has since led to West's recently released first faith-based album,Jesus Is King,which has gone on to make history onBillboard'sHot Christian SongsandHot Gospel Songscharts. The set opened at No. 1 on both the Top Christian Albums and Top Gospel Albums tallies (dated Nov. 9) with 264,000 equivalent album units earned in its first week (ending Oct. 31),according to Nielsen Music.
On Sunday, he pointed out how important it is to counter the influence of media on young children and explained how he is trying to do that through his music.
Thats why I say Closed on Sunday is the hardest record ever made. Its hard as the NWA record because its talking about protecting your kids from the indoctrination of the media. Thousands and thousands of images that are fed to children by the age of six or seven. And within those images, there are images mixed in that as parents we dont know about, purposely mixed in to lower the kids superpower and esteem so that they can be more susceptible to consumption and feel that they need to consume and become part of the robotic numeric system that controls so much of the media, West said.
West, who recently performed with his choir for an installment of his Jesus Is KingSunday Service concert in Texas jails,was praised by the states Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who encouraged other artists to follow his lead.
What @kanyewest does to inspire the incarcerated is transformative. Saving one soul at a time. Inmates who turn to God may get released earlier b/c of good behavior & may be less likely to commit future crimes. It would be great if other artists followed Kanyes lead, Abbott noted on Twitter.
West alluded to the experience of ministering in Texas jails and called on America to set itself as an example of a Christian nation.
Following the Bible can free us all. Its an interesting thing, when we were at the prison professing how Jesus can set you free and its true. The more and more this entire country follows Christ and sets the example that we are a Christian country. They are attempting to take prayer out of schools. When you remove the fear and love of God you create the fear and love of everything else, he said to applause.
Reinstate the fear and love of God and eliminate everything else, he said, noting that he got that wording from Osteen.
Theres a lot of people in the Christian community that try to give Joel a hard time because when you turn on the radio he keeps on showing you how good God is.
God is not the enemy. God is not the negative part. God is not just the perception of fire and brimstone. God is love God is family. God is friendship. God is prosperity. Keep your eye on the sparrow. Keep your eye on the beauty and love and grace of God that allows us to be here today with all of our sins, West further noted.
When youve got Kanye defending you, youve made it man, Osteen quipped in response.
- How Kelly Preston anchored John Travolta through tragedy, controversy and bad movies - The Mercury News - July 13th, 2020
- The Word 'Human' In The 21st Century: A Critical Revaluation - Analysis - Eurasia Review - July 13th, 2020
- Assisted Living at the Meadowlands Resumes Social Engagement Programs in a Safe Manner During the COVID-19 Outbreak - Suburban Journals - July 13th, 2020
- Podcast Corner: Guru tells of sweat-lodge tragedy and James Arthur Ray - Irish Examiner - July 13th, 2020
- A Brighter Tomorrow > News > USC Dornsife - USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences - July 13th, 2020
- Ashraf Karayath Re-invents the Meaning of Life with his Debut Fiction Novel 'Janaka and Ashtavakra- A Journey Beyond' - India Education Diary - July 13th, 2020
- GCL Dorsey's newly released "Why" is a brilliant method in understanding our biggest questions to life, faith, and the Almighty - Benzinga - July 13th, 2020
- Jim Carrey Would Like to Be Erased Forever - Men's Health - July 13th, 2020
- Why intellectuals are scared of cancel culture - The Verge - July 13th, 2020
- 12 Third-Eye Tattoos That Just Might Inspire You on Your Body-Art Journey - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - July 13th, 2020
- Point Break Is the Silliest Classic Ever Made - The Ringer - July 13th, 2020
- Free Tarot Reading, July 10, 2020 - YourTango - July 13th, 2020
- Scots author Richard Holloway reveals a story of mercy, with or without faith - The Times - July 13th, 2020
- Dalai Lama: We Should Act As One to Protect Our World - Exchange 99 - July 13th, 2020
- Russia's Vote On The Constitutional Amendments A Putin Triumph, An Electoral Fraud, Or A Step Towards A More Balanced Political System? - Middle East... - July 13th, 2020
- My Daughter Died at the Hands of Oprah's New Age Guru - The Daily Beast - July 12th, 2020
- Jim Carrey Would Like to Be Erased Forever - Men's Health - July 12th, 2020
- Why intellectuals are scared of cancel culture - The Verge - July 12th, 2020
- Point Break Is the Silliest Classic Ever Made - The Ringer - July 12th, 2020
- Chakra Affirmations: Feeling Gratitude to the Core of Your Being - Patheos - July 12th, 2020
- 12 Third-Eye Tattoos That Just Might Inspire You on Your Body-Art Journey - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - July 12th, 2020
- Dara Shikoh: The Prince who would never be King - The Sunday Guardian - July 12th, 2020
- Aru and Its Enchanting Cosmic Energy - MENAFN.COM - July 12th, 2020
- Dalai Lama: We Should Act As One to Protect Our World - Exchange 99 - July 12th, 2020
- Trump, Kanye, and the Pernicious Politics of Celebrity - National Review - July 12th, 2020
- Enrich Your Religious Grounds Through Holy Texts And Discussions On Mademanministries - York Pedia - July 12th, 2020
- Free Tarot Reading, July 10, 2020 - YourTango - July 12th, 2020
- Where chefs release their inner Gwyneth Paltrow and peri-peri is from Macau - Daily Maverick - July 12th, 2020
- Assisted Living at the Meadowlands Resumes Social Engagement Programs in a Safe Manner During the COVID-19 Outbreak - Suburban Journals - July 12th, 2020
- On July 4, Vauhxx Booker went to the lake with friends. Five white men held him down and yelled get a noose". - Mamamia - July 12th, 2020
- Why are so many doubters unable to leave faith? Watch and read. - Patheos - July 12th, 2020
- On Guru Purnima, Shilpa Shetty, Sanjay Dutt and other Bollywood stars pay tribute to their teachers - Free Press Journal - July 12th, 2020
- A Brighter Tomorrow > News > USC Dornsife - USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences - July 10th, 2020
- Gautam Buddha gave his first sermon on Guru Purnima: A look at some of his teachings and quotes - Times Now - July 10th, 2020
- Religion and mysticism in juxtaposition, by Kola Oyefeso - - The Eagle Online - July 10th, 2020
- The Medicine - Film Threat - July 10th, 2020
- Han and Hindu Nationalism Come Face to Face - Fair Observer - July 10th, 2020
- Legendary occultist Aleister Crowley's son from Cornwall who tried to take over the government - Cornwall Live - June 21st, 2020
- International Yoga Day 2020: Yoga and its connection with Vedas; know what scriptures say about it - Catch News - June 21st, 2020
- Top 50 leadership books and quotes according to Kindle and Goodreads data - Digital Information World - June 21st, 2020
- Summer Solstice: the longest day and shortest night of the year - RTE.ie - June 21st, 2020
- Who is known as the father of yoga? Know history and other details - Republic World - Republic World - June 21st, 2020
- The statue-topplers are obsessed with white men and white history - Spectator.co.uk - June 21st, 2020
- Instrument of the Machine No More - James Moore - June 21st, 2020
- 10 books Amazon editors say you'll want to read in June - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 9th, 2020
- Siddhivinayak Temple Mumbai yet to open; check out aarti timings, other details and where to watch it live - Times Now - June 9th, 2020
- Rugby World Cup injury left me in a wheelchair but I wouldnt discourage anyone from playing the game - iNews - June 9th, 2020
- Ramy: the smartest, darkest TV comedy that you're not watching - The Guardian - June 9th, 2020
- THE KILLINGS IN CROSS RIVER - THISDAY Newspapers - June 9th, 2020
- How War lead to the advent of Market Economy - Modern Diplomacy - June 9th, 2020
- The Talk of the Three-in-One - Patheos - June 9th, 2020
- Faith in the Vortex - SpokaneFVS - spokanefavs.com - May 15th, 2020
- Alton Masons Debut Short Film Is an Ode to the Creative Spirit of Lagos - Vogue - May 15th, 2020
- The history of yoga in a readable book - The Hindu - May 15th, 2020
- We deciphered Matt Corral and Grant Tisdales closely-timed tweets from over the weekend - Red Cup Rebellion - May 15th, 2020
- We will gather in the glow - Aspen Daily News - May 15th, 2020
- PART 3 My Search for the One True God - Block Island Times - May 15th, 2020
- Future feel uncertain? See what's in the cards with a virtual psychic reading - 7x7 - May 15th, 2020
- Soul on Fire: Louise Hay's message still resonates in today's world - Coast News - May 15th, 2020
- Netflix: The Untamed Is The Perfect Quarantine Binge - GameSpot - May 15th, 2020
- General Hospital Spoilers Updates: Tension Grows Between Sam And Brando - Will They Hit The Sheets? - Celebrating The Soaps - May 15th, 2020
- As we struggle through the pandemic, persevere, keep praying, hold Lord's hand - Catholic Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Feeling anxious? Its good to talk or even shout and scream - The Irish Times - May 15th, 2020
- In Uzbekistan, Coming to Terms With the Countrys Dazzling History - The New York Times - May 15th, 2020
- Revelling in isolation lessons from Mars and India - The Hindu - May 15th, 2020
- My End is My Beginning: A wild sci-fi ride at the end of the world - Middle East Eye - May 15th, 2020
- The Number 88 Is Spiritual - Only Deep Thinkers Like Akufo-Addo Will Decide To Build 88 Hospitals - Says Actor Prince David Osei - Peace FM Online - May 3rd, 2020
- Conscious Moon Podcast is spreading spiritual enlightenment through topics like alternative healing, 5D consciousness and more - Press Release -... - May 3rd, 2020
- The poetics of universal imagination - The Sunday Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- The Buddha's impeccable wisdom - Sunday Observer - May 3rd, 2020
- Gautam Buddha: The epitome of humanity and knowledge sharing - Khabarhub - May 3rd, 2020
- Akufo-Addo is a deep thinker hence his move to improve the health systems in Ghana David Osei - GhanaWeb - May 3rd, 2020
- SAS: Who Dares Wins Ollie Ollerton reveals horrific childhood circus chimp attack left him addicted to booze - The Sun - May 3rd, 2020
- The Adventurous Lectionary The Fifth Sunday of Easter May 10,2020 - Patheos - May 3rd, 2020
- Karen Armstrong: The Lost Art of Reading Scripture - Tricycle - Tricycle - May 3rd, 2020
- Obituary: The Rt Revd Simon Barrington-Ward 01 May 2020 - Church Times - May 3rd, 2020
- Zoon Travels to the Past, Present, and Future on Light Prism - American Songwriter - May 3rd, 2020
- Review: 'Beyond the Visible: Hilma af Klint,' obscurity to art world star - Los Angeles Times - April 23rd, 2020
- 'Conspirituality' the overlap between the New Age and conspiracy beliefs - Elemental - April 23rd, 2020
- The purpose of life on earthOpinion - Guardian - April 23rd, 2020