By Sarah Duenas for Hospice of Santa Barbara | October 3, 2019 | 9:00 a.m.
Hospice of Santa Barbara (HSB) raised $178,000 at its recent 7th Annual Heroes of Hospice of Santa Barbara luncheon at Biltmores Coral Casino Beach and Cabana Club.
Every year HSB honors the volunteers and supporters who continue to makeHSB's mission possible. Each of this years Heroes of Hospice play a vital role in providing care for anyone experiencing the impact of serious illness or grieving the death of a loved one, all at no cost.
The event, attended by 340 guests, featured an auction, guests and speakers, and a video about the journey of cancer survivor Manuel Figueroa. Guest speaker District Attorney Joyce Dudley gave a moving testimonial about the power of HSB's bereavement counseling program.
This year's Heroes of Hospice honorees were:
Legacy Award: James S. Bower FoundationThe James S. Bower Foundation creates a better future by making grants to partners who share the belief that a healthier world can be fostered through compassionate action and social change. Its goals include creating change in educational, developmental and health processes for infants, children, youth and seniors. The foundations strategic, purpose-driven and outcome-oriented grant making also makes change in environmental conditions, social awareness and human consciousness.
The foundation is committed to reducing physical, emotional, spiritual and social pain in the face of death. Its grants help increase the number of people able to experience an enhanced state of wellbeing at the end of life, characterized as a state of peace, enlightenment or acceptance of ones death.
The foundation recognizes that the unique challenges in the end-of-life process are often overwhelming for the dying, their families, friends and the larger community.Partnership Award: Suzanne GrimmeseyAs chief quality care and strategy officer for the Santa Barbara County Department of Behavioral Wellness, Grimmesey has led the multi-agency Community Wellness Team that formed following the Thomas Fire and ensuing debris flow. The team, made up of 13 agencies, including HSB, collaborates to help the community heal and build resiliency.
The partnership allowed HSB to connect with community members at town hall meetings, schools, businesses, and in the field. The team was instrumental in bringing services to families having lost homes or loved ones. Grimmesey's inspiration for this work is the firm belief in the resiliency gained through helping individuals and communities cope with disaster and traumatic events.Volunteer Award: No One Dies Alone ProgramHSB and VNA Health collaborate for the unique No One Dies Alone (NODA) program, which brings together trained volunteers and patients to make sure nobody is alone in their final hours. While some who are dying in our community have no family or friends nearby, NODA volunteers are there to offer a compassionate presence and their heartfelt intentions.
It takes a special kind of person to fill the NODA volunteer role. Sharing someones end-of-life experience can be moving and powerful. Volunteers may simply choose to sit in silence with the patient, letting them know they are there from time to time with voice and touch. They may do simple things like placing a cool cloth on the patients forehead, using swabs if the patients lips seem dry, and holding a hand or arm as a loving presence.
Hospice of Santa Barbara provides professional counseling, support groups, and patient care services free of charge to individuals and families who are grieving the death of a loved one or experiencing the impact of a life-threatening illness. Hospice of Santa Barbara provides counseling in its offices and on 14 local junior and high school campuses to children and teens grieving the loss of a loved one.
For more information, including volunteer opportunities, call 805-563-8820 or visit http://www.hospiceofsantabarbara.org.
Sarah Duenas for Hospice of Santa Barbara.
The rest is here:
- Spiritual Enlightenment: What It Is and How to Experience It - March 16th, 2020
- 5 Things You Should Know About Spiritual Enlightenment ... - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - Truths & Paths | Live and Dare - March 16th, 2020
- What Is Spiritual Enlightenment or Spiritual Awakening? - March 16th, 2020
- Agnes Pelton Joins the Underappreciated Female Artists Finally Getting Their Due With a Major New Show at the Whitney - Vogue - March 16th, 2020
- Jefferson Hack: The Beauty and Violence of Willy Vanderperre's Photography - AnOther Magazine - March 16th, 2020
- We Need to Resacralize the World - lareviewofbooks - March 16th, 2020
- Agnes Pelton Went to the Desert in Search of Solace. Her Paintings at the Whitney Show She Found Something Magical There - artnet News - March 16th, 2020
- Opinion: General Buratai in the eyes of the people by Abe Kolawole - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 | LEGIT.NG - March 16th, 2020
- How Rishikesh Became the Capital of Yoga Worldwide - Communal News - March 16th, 2020
- Digital Wisdom in the Time of Coronavirus Disease 2019 - Patheos - March 16th, 2020
- Reflections for the III Sunday of Lent - Vatican News - March 16th, 2020
- Black business and superstition - Bulawayo24 News - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment | Enlightened Beings - March 13th, 2020
- The 3 Stages Of Spiritual Enlightenment : In5D - March 13th, 2020
- Where Is Our World Heading? - Chapter 29 of Positivity Bias - Chabad.org - March 13th, 2020
- Altered perspectives: The 'interactive' Okinawan garden - The Japan Times - March 13th, 2020
- The Haunted California Idyll of German Writers in Exile - The New Yorker - March 13th, 2020
- 5 Themes of Nietzsche That You Can Apply to Your Life - Study Breaks - March 4th, 2020
- Author Shares Personal Journey to Spiritual Awakening, Teaches Readers How to Lift the Veil of Universal Truths in New Book - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Patrick Swayze's 10 Best Movies According to IMDb | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2020
- Leap Year 2020 horoscope: The spiritual significance of February 29 - Express - March 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Sultan of Sokoto goes spiritual, tells Imams action to take - Daily Post Nigeria - March 4th, 2020
- Thousands of Grassroots Religious Freedom Advocates Submit Comments to Urge D.C. Commission on Judicial Disabilities and Tenure Not to Reappoint Judge... - March 4th, 2020
- Asking the Clergy: Important women in your faith tradition - Newsday - March 4th, 2020
- Who Knew? The Bible Really IS On Broadway - Times Daily - March 4th, 2020
- The Joy of Fran - The Cut - March 4th, 2020
- Preserving the art of Kathak - Independent Online - March 4th, 2020
- Brahmarishi Guruvanand on three-day visit to Fiji - Indian NewsLink - March 4th, 2020
- Shannon Cartier Lucy's 7-book guide to turning pain into positive growth - Document Journal - March 4th, 2020
- What's Life All About Anyway? - Thrive Global - March 4th, 2020
- Alex Garland builds a meticulous thriller within the restrained, overstuffed Devs - BingePost - March 4th, 2020
- THE BIRTH OF GOD And What It Can Mean for Us - Patheos - March 4th, 2020
- The non-linearity of modern spirituality/the changing language of self-help: a conversation with Gabi Abro - The Stony Brook Press - February 29th, 2020
- Protecting Mangar Bani: Theres A Need To Empower Local Community To Save Sacred Grove - Outlook India - February 29th, 2020
- Schammasch: Aleister Crowley and the destructive yet divine nature of creation - Louder - February 29th, 2020
- Roy Exum: AG Barr: What Has Happened To Us? - The Chattanoogan - February 29th, 2020
- Have You Accepted the Free Market as Your Personal Savior? - The Bulwark - February 29th, 2020
- From your frequency to another -- how do the laws of attraction work? - Free Press Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Raining in the Mountain - film review - Louder Than War - February 24th, 2020
- Getting the most out of Lent - Arlington Catholic Herald - February 24th, 2020
- A Tribute to Andrew Weatherall - The Mancunion - February 24th, 2020
- I toured a religious commune in Italy, and all I got was spiritual existentialism The Review - University of Delaware Review - February 24th, 2020
- Grant to help Dartmouth museum, libraries better explore knowledge of indigenous peoples - The Union Leader - February 24th, 2020
- The fight to preserve a 44,000-year-old painting | 1843 - The Economist 1843 - February 24th, 2020
- Prayer Walk: An Excerpt From '50 Ways To Pray' - Patheos - February 24th, 2020
- Religion is a Repeating Chapter in the History of Politics - CounterPunch - February 24th, 2020
- Lili Reinhart Claims Luke Perrys Spirit Visited Her Last Night! - The Digital Weekly - February 24th, 2020
- At Fitchburg Art Museum, revisiting Spiritualism and finding new pathways to the dead - The Boston Globe - February 24th, 2020
- The Power of Your Thoughts and Spoken Words (part I and 2) by Steve Robertson - Veterans News Report - February 24th, 2020
- Delicacies and the devout in northern Tsuruoka - The Japan Times - February 24th, 2020
- Louis Althusser's Class Warfare - The New York Review of Books - February 24th, 2020
- Methodist split: Conservative event organizers respond to critics - AL.com - February 24th, 2020
- From government shutdown to business owner: Why a Durham mom launched Bright Black - WRAL.com - February 24th, 2020
- Christianity gave women a dignity that no previous sexual dispensation had offered: Tom Holland - Scroll.in - February 24th, 2020
- Why Bodhisattvas Need to Disrupt the Status Quo - Lion's Roar - February 24th, 2020
- Book review: The story of yoga by Alistair Shearer - Stuff.co.nz - February 24th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - How To Become Enlightened - February 20th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - The Most Profound Truth Revealed ... - February 20th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment | RuneScape Wiki | Fandom - February 20th, 2020
- Religion can be manipulated to control others - Miami County Republic - February 20th, 2020
- Ashkenazim and the Sephardic Pronunciation of Hebrew - Jewish Link of New Jersey - February 20th, 2020
- Profiting from the Prophet - Reaction - February 20th, 2020
- Ramakrishna Paramahansas Birth Anniversary: Interesting Facts About the Indian Mystic - News18 - February 20th, 2020
- 32nd Anniversary: FRSC Offers Free Medical Outreach to Motorists in Bauchi - THISDAY Newspapers - February 20th, 2020
- Convention of 'Christian Witches' to Gather In Salem on Easter Sunday - Breaking Israel News - February 20th, 2020
- Robert Anton Wilson's daughter Christina on the new edition of her father's book, Ishtar Rising - Boing Boing - February 20th, 2020
- What My Epilepsy Taught Me About the Value of Time - The New York Times - February 20th, 2020
- Ram Dass, who sought enlightenment through LSD and became spiritual leader, dead at 88 - San Francisco Chronicle - December 27th, 2019
- An Artist Shares Her Most Striking Images of the Decade - The New York Times - December 27th, 2019
- Kung Fu Nuns in Nepal boost their health in the fight for women's rights - KAKE - December 27th, 2019
- Pay-What-You-Can Russian House #1 in Jenner Is One of Californias Most Eccentric Restaurants - Eater SF - December 27th, 2019
- Kanye West plans to evangelize Americas youth with music: No weapon formed against me shall prosper - The Christian Post - November 19th, 2019
- The Real Housewives of Atlanta Recap: Baby of the House - Vulture - November 19th, 2019
- Who Was the Buddha? - Lion's Roar - November 19th, 2019
- MOVIE REVIEW: Scorsese, De Niro and Pesci at their best in 'The Irishman' - Gwinnettdailypost.com - November 19th, 2019
- The Funeral Traditions of Different Culture and Religion - Agence de presse D.I.A. - November 19th, 2019
- Children in Need events across Gwent - South Wales Argus - November 19th, 2019
- With Kartarpur, Pakistan says: Our arms are always open for you whenever you visit - Gulf News - November 19th, 2019
- The Rights Judeo-Christian Fixation - The New Republic - November 19th, 2019