A $10 million capital campaign is underway for renovations and/or expansion at three York County libraries. York Daily Record
In accordance with Governor Wolfs decision to close all schools and nonessential establishments in Pennsylvania, and in compliance with a directive from the Office of Commonwealth Libraries, York County Libraries have been closed since March 15 to flatten the spread of coronavirus, which causes the COVID-19 illness.
Your 13 York County libraries will reopen as soon as circumstances permit. All library events scheduled during this closure also are cancelled. This includes our locations in Brogue, Dillsburg, Dover, Etters, Glen Rock, Hanover, Hellam, Jacobus, Red Lion, Shrewsbury, Spring Grove, Stewartstown and York City.
We will continue to closely monitor the situation and reassess our eventual opening date. In the meantime, as Governor Wolf and PA Physician General Rachel Levine might say, stay calm, stay safe, stay home, and stay engaged.
All library materials currently checked out are automatically renewed until at least April 15. No fines will be assessed during this closure. Please retain your library materials until we reopen, and dont stress about fines or penalties. They are waived during this time.
More: Social distancing driving you crazy? Here are some ideas of things to do as a family
More: Martin Library, a living vision for York County
Bookmarks mark the place where reading is suspended to let us know where to start again. For most of us, if we are careful and fortunate, this crisis will be a catalyst for placemaking in our lives.
This shift may seem scary. It may be cumbersome. It may be annoying. But it, too, shall pass.
We shall resume. We dont know when, but, when we emerge from this challenge, we will be back stronger than ever.
And before we get back to normal, York County will show her true colors of neighborliness, common sense, prudence, decency, compassion, healing, empathy, and mercy. Let our true character light the way during this crisis and be our legacy after the closures cease.
York County Libraries will continue to closely monitor the situation and reassess our opening date as deemed necessary. Further updates will be shared on our website and through social media.
In the meantime, we encourage you to make use of our eBooks and online services at yorklibraries.org. Thousands of titles in many genres and for all ages are at the tip of your fingers. After going to the homepage, scroll down to click on the blue EBOOKS! and more icon. Then click on the Axis 360 icon.
Scroll through our Features or your favorite genre or subject and click on your pick and select checkout. Enter your library card number (its on the back of the card) and PIN (last four digits of your card number). Select read now and presto, your electronic publication will appear on your computer, laptop, I-phone, or Kindle Fire. There are no late fees.
Online resources cannot replace the sharing, fellowship, classes and sense of community that our 13 libraries provide virtually every day. And our numbers of visitors bear this out. Even during this digital revolution, libraries are more popular than ever.
Perhaps because of the digital revolution, people crave community more than ever. Thats part of the reason why, in 2019, your York County Libraries attracted over 1.5 million customers like you.
But now, with our libraries, restaurants (for dine-in), bars and theaters temporarily closed, reading at home is a great way to stay safe while stimulating our minds, expanding our knowledge, and connecting to humanity.
Responsible physical distancing does not have to mean loneliness or anxiety. It can mean reflection, rewiring, and recommitting. It can mean reading.
These days can be an opportunity to take a deep dive into your favorite reads, to dig into those books on your shelves that you havent cracked open or finished, and to download titles that you once thought you didnt have time to explore.
Also, heres a fun activity: Read a book and then compare it to its movie. Here are just a few suggestions of authors whose works have been made into captivating movies: William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Victor Hugo, the Grimm Brothers, Louisa May Alcott, Charles Dickens, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Ernest Hemingway, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, L. Frank Baum, Alex Haley, August Wilson, Harper Lee, Mario Puzo, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Arthur Golden, William Goldman, Markus Zusak, Margaret Mitchell, Jeff Shaara, Yang Martel, Zora Neale Hurston, Richard Wright, Terry McMillan, Stephen King, Michael Creighton, J. K. Rowling, Thomas Harris, Nicholas Sparks, Suzanne Collins, James Dashner, Veronica Roth, and John Green. Movie adaptations of their stories provide great opportunities for discussion, fun debate, and humor.
For the next few weeks, thank you for your patience and understanding. We pray for your safety, nourishment (physical and spiritual) and peace of mind. We pray for prudence, forbearance, and good decision-making. We pray for good health for all. We pray for peace and enlightenment.
Because we treat each other as we want to be treated, because we gracefully endure, York County and York County Libraries will be stronger and more united than ever on the other side.
In the meantime, keep learning and keep loving (from a distance). Keep calm and read on. We will see you soon.
Robert F. Lambert is president of York County Libraries.
The York Daily Record's coverage of coronavirus is being provided for free to our readers. Pleaseconsider supporting local journalism by subscribingatydr.com/subscribe.
Robert F. Lambert(Photo: Submitted)
Read or Share this story: https://www.ydr.com/story/opinion/2020/03/26/york-county-pa-libraries-here-you-ebooks/2915409001/
See the original post:
- Spiritual Enlightenment: What It Is and How to Experience It - November 10th, 2020
- 5 Things You Should Know About Spiritual Enlightenment ... - November 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - Truths & Paths | Live and Dare - November 10th, 2020
- The 3 Stages Of Spiritual Enlightenment : In5D - November 10th, 2020
- What Is Spiritual Enlightenment or Spiritual Awakening? - November 10th, 2020
- Is there a spiritual side to dealing with the Covid-19 pandemic? - RTE.ie - November 10th, 2020
- National Trust observes Divali with educational presentations - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - November 10th, 2020
- The Wanteds Tom Parker and wife Kelsey say newborn son is light at the end of our tunnel after brain cance - The Sun - November 10th, 2020
- The best response to Islamism is Christianity - Spectator.co.uk - November 10th, 2020
- Astrology 2020: Message of the Day (November 8) - Newsroompost - November 10th, 2020
- Huge chalk art project brings positivity to street on the Outer Banks - OBXToday.com - November 10th, 2020
- The birth of modern Europe - The News International - November 10th, 2020
- NLE Choppa Dated A 46-Year-Old Woman When He Was 16 - HotNewHipHop - November 10th, 2020
- Roy Exum: We Need God's Help - The Chattanoogan - November 10th, 2020
- Faith and Governance: The Role of the Church in Social Justice - THISDAY Newspapers - November 10th, 2020
- When Raving Was Radical - The Nation - November 10th, 2020
- Navigating the Mind: What Medication Cannot Address - James Moore - November 10th, 2020
- No Man's Sky: 10 Things You Didnt Know About The Korvax - TheGamer - November 10th, 2020
- It's Not That Detroit Is Too Poor, But That Seattle Is Too Rich - TheStranger.com - October 19th, 2020
- Eye Gazing Exercise: Possible Benefits and How to Try It - Healthline - October 19th, 2020
- Batman: Bruce Wayne Has The Same Origin Story as The Buddha - Screen Rant - October 19th, 2020
- Fiction: Into the Darkness With Don DeLillo - Wall Street Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Rabbi Art Green (still) believes Hasidic ideas are key to the Jewish future - The Jewish News of Northern California - October 19th, 2020
- Alan Arkin on Hollywood success: 'I was miserable pretty much all of the time' - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- The joy of the Mallorcan landscape - Majorca Daily Bulletin - October 19th, 2020
- Sudbury author explores the power of healing - The Sudbury Star - October 19th, 2020
- The Revolutionary Beethoven - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - October 19th, 2020
- Exercising Religion and Taming Faction - Los Angeles Review of Books - lareviewofbooks - October 19th, 2020
- Op-Ed: The civil rights legend who opposed critical race theory - The Center Square - October 19th, 2020
- Chant of the Buddha - Part II - Outlook India - September 26th, 2020
- Tantra exhibition review: An enjoyable journey on the road to enlightenment - Evening Standard - September 26th, 2020
- The Revolutionary Beethoven - Dissent - September 26th, 2020
- Review: Capital in the 21st Century - Camden New Journal newspapers website - September 26th, 2020
- Finding God: Christianity and the Global Mystical Societies - THISDAY Newspapers - September 26th, 2020
- Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith Used This Parenting Technique That Inspired Jaden and Willow To Be Unusually Close - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 26th, 2020
- The art of tantra: is there more to it than marathon sex and massages? - The Guardian - September 26th, 2020
- Saying goodbye to the Israeli one-state prophet - +972 Magazine - September 26th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - How To Become Enlightened - August 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Enlightenment - The Most Profound Truth Revealed ... - August 10th, 2020
- SERMONETTE: Seek the Holy Spirit and hold on! - Crow River Media - August 10th, 2020
- What Is Spiritual Bypassing? 7 Steps To Avoiding Toxic Spirituality - YourTango - August 10th, 2020
- Will Tammy Duckworth be the first deist veep since Thomas Jefferson? - Religion News Service - August 10th, 2020
- Jamila Woods' "SULA (Paperback)" and Creative Ancestry and Self-Love in the Age of "List" Activism - PopMatters - August 10th, 2020
- Creation, conscience and the bomb | Earthbeat - National Catholic Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- DREAMS OF WALDEN POND: The Way of Liberal Religion - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- Let's Show Power! Rev Abbeam Danso and Apostle Nkum challenge The Mystic Twins to open battle - GhanaWeb - August 10th, 2020
- Jacob S. Rugh: An open letter to the BYU Committee on Race, Equity, and Belonging - Salt Lake Tribune - August 10th, 2020
- Your Weekly Horoscope News: August 10th - August 17th - Sporteluxe - August 10th, 2020
- #482 Author and Intuitive Michael McAdams and His Book, An Angel Told Me So - BlogTalkRadio - August 8th, 2020
- Hinduism Survived Years Of Raids Through Its Inclusiveness, Not Violence And Bloodshed - Outlook India - August 8th, 2020
- A rebuttal to Sam George's mid-length propaganda: "The path to enlightenment ain't easy. We get it through trial, struggle, self-flagellation.... - August 8th, 2020
- Dimension of Krishna Sadhana - The New Indian Express - August 8th, 2020
- Why Bodh Gaya is Considered the Navel of the Earth - Ancient Origins - August 8th, 2020
- 6 Facts About Water Lilies That Will Make You Love Them Even More - MSN Money - August 8th, 2020
- Satan in the Times | John Mark N. Reynolds - Patheos - August 8th, 2020
- How To Meditate, Body Scan, Breathe Mindfully And Become More Present - elle.com - August 8th, 2020
- When panic disorder hits a nation - The Star Online - August 8th, 2020
- World Teacher and Happy Science Founder Ryuho Okawa Introduces Four Principles of Happiness that Transcends Race and Religion in His New Book... - August 8th, 2020
- ARTIST: Zachary Ian Garden featured in The Art of Tattooists - The News Herald - August 7th, 2020
- Honey I Joined A Cult Coming To Brainwash PCs in 2021 - GameSpace.com - August 7th, 2020
- Pick of the Podcasts: Guru, Calm Down Dear, Give Me Some Good News - The Sunday Post - August 7th, 2020
- Excerpt: From the Translators Note to Rumi; A New Collection Selected and Translated by Farrukh Dh... - Hindustan Times - August 6th, 2020
- 'History will judge us' Have progressive UK rabbis reached end of the road on Israel? - Mondoweiss - August 6th, 2020
- Chulayarnnon Siriphol on Finding Ways to Express Opinions - Ocula Magazine - August 6th, 2020
- Speech and Slavery in the West Indies | by Fara Dabhoiwala - The New York Review of Books - August 6th, 2020
- Power of 5am thoughts - The New Indian Express - August 4th, 2020
- India is a spiritual country, but we're still not taking the wealth of the Bhagavad Gita: Vedanta scholar Jaya Row - The New Indian Express - August 4th, 2020
- The Sacrifice of All Doubts - Kashmir Reader - August 4th, 2020
- View the awe-inspiring Hermitage of St. Sava - Aleteia IT - August 4th, 2020
- A Suitable Boy: Seven films to watch that are set in India - Spectator.co.uk - August 3rd, 2020
- Chingy wants to uplift with self-reflective new album, 'Crown Jewel' - STLtoday.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Feds sprayed chemicals into the eyes of a retired ER nurse and veteran - Street Roots News - August 3rd, 2020
- The American Founding vindicated against its foes on the Right and Left - MercatorNet - August 3rd, 2020
- Lam Tian Xings Anthem of the Calamus is an ode to Hong Kongs resilient spirit - Lifestyle Asia - August 3rd, 2020
- Asking the Clergy: Why is patience a virtue in difficult times? - Newsday - July 31st, 2020
- El Topo: The weirdest western ever made - BBC News - July 29th, 2020
- Lam Tian-xings Anthem of the Calamus is an ode to Hong Kongs resilient spirit - Lifestyle Asia - July 29th, 2020
- Corruption, the Devaluation of the Human Spirit and the Futures of Black Humanity (2) - The News - July 29th, 2020
- 'It took genius to chisel these buttocks' the top 10 bottoms in art, chosen by our critic - The Guardian - July 29th, 2020
- Hippy In the Mikvah - Lubavitch.com - July 29th, 2020