The Governments soft-touch approach on access to Rockalls fishing waters for Irish boats is totally unacceptable, a former state marine scientist has said.
As Times.ie reports today, Dr Peter Tyndall has also called on the government to push for a renationalisation of European waters to allow coastal states greater access to their own fish stocks.
He said the EU could still handle the management of shared and migratory stocks under a more honest Common Fisheries Policy (CFP).
Dr Tyndall, formerly a BIM gear technologist, was commenting after last months warning by Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney and Minister for Marine Charlie McConalogue of increased risk of enforcement action by Scottish authorities around Rockall while engagement continues.
Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney
Their joint statement was issued four days after Donegal vessel Northern Celt was boarded by a Marine Scotland fisheries patrol while fishing within 12 miles of Rockall.
Ireland has never made any claims to Rockall, located some 230 nautical miles off north-west Donegal, nor has it recognised British sovereignty claims or a 12 nautical mile territorial sea limit.
Ireland is due to bear the brunt of a return of EU quotas to Britain, at a 15 per cent overall reduction in Irish quotas.
Tyndall said that the CFP, which is due for review in 2023, is clearly a failure.
He said he Irish government should now engage the best legal minds before 2023 to challenge a management system which is in breach of the Treaties of Europe on the rights of fishing communities to an income.
The CFP is rife with injustices and the British Tory party actively worked this emotive subject to influence votes in the Leave campaign, he said.
The effect that the CFP has had in Europe is totally disproportionate to its economic contribution. Norway rejected EU membership on two occasions while Iceland decided not to join. Greenland, a home rule dependency of Denmark, pulled away, Tyndall recalled.
Even with the new agenda of reducing carbon emissions there is a strong argument that those closest to the resource should access them proportionately, he said.
Irelands leaders should have the courage to initiate this conversation with our European partners in the knowledge that it can lead to a fairer system and healthier stocks which would be more in keeping with the stated aspirations of European partnership, Tyndall said.
Asked to comment, the Department of Foreign Affairs referred to Mr Coveneys Dil response on February 3rd
Read more in Times.ie here
Read the rest here:
- Rare chance to snap up property in most inaccessible and idyllic part of Scotland - The Scotsman - June 15th, 2021
- Album Review: Figueroa The World As We Know It - mxdwn.com - June 15th, 2021
- Coheed & Cambria announce tour with The Used and Meet Me @ The Altar - Brooklyn Vegan - June 15th, 2021
- Mass DPH Will Be Conducting Cancer Evaluation of PCB Exposure - WUPE - June 15th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra to Alia Bhatt: 5 actresses who sported trendy hairstyles - Asianet Newsable - June 15th, 2021
- Want a Massage Without Leaving the House? This App Lets You Insta-Book a Therapist, Who'll Rock Up With All Their Gear - Broadsheet - June 15th, 2021
- In The Heights: Reaching New Heights for Movie Musicals Through Fashion - theknockturnal.com - June 15th, 2021
- Make Dad a Happy Camper This Fathers Day With One of These Outdoor Items On Sale For 20% Off - Mandatory - June 15th, 2021
- Pawri Ho Rahi Hai: This Little Girl's Version of Viral 'Pawri' Video is The Cutest Thing Ever | Check Hilario - India.com - February 17th, 2021
- Gavin Hayes' state championship highlights fifth-place finish by Ola wrestling team - Henry Herald - February 15th, 2021
- PICTURES: Look back at how the Beast from the East hit Winchester in 2018 - Hampshire Chronicle - February 15th, 2021
- HBO's 30 Coins Destroys Elena and Paco's Lives With the Return of the Coin - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 15th, 2021
- The best of the west of Ireland - exploring Galway and its Connemara hinterlands - IrishCentral - February 15th, 2021
- Thermoformed Plastics Market Development Trends, Key Manufacturers & Competitive Analysis 2020-2026 | Anchor Packaging, Inc., Pactiv, LLC.,... - February 15th, 2021
- Neha Kakkar, Jonita Gandhi, And Akriti Kakars Top 5 Hottest Shades Of Lipstick That Are Simply Perfect - IWMBuzz - February 7th, 2021
- Inside Janet Jackson's Infamous Super Bowl Wardrobe Malfunction and Its Even More Complicated Aftermath - E! Online - February 7th, 2021
- New exhibition to recall Denmark's worst ever maritime disaster - The Post - The Copenhagen Post - Danish news in english - February 4th, 2021
- We Are The Union's Fresh Fruit for Rotting Punk Rock Stars takes aim at aging, once-political punks - Brooklyn Vegan - February 4th, 2021
- Did Ohio States 2017 recruiting class live up to the hype? - Land-Grant Holy Land - February 4th, 2021
- Global Internet Banking Market 2020 Size Share Upcoming Trends Segmentation And Forecast To 2026 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 4th, 2021
- Lil Kim Teams Up With PrettyLittleThing for a Super-Hot Capsule Collection - Us Weekly - December 22nd, 2020
- Competitive Landscape Internet Banking Market: Industry Outlook 2020-2026 by Key Companies, Trends, Market Segmentation & Growth Drivers - Factory... - December 22nd, 2020
- article image Rock group Motrhead and their music is still as relevant as ever - Digital Journal - December 22nd, 2020
- 'Assassin's Creed Valhalla' Cavern of Trials Guide: How to Get the Treasures of Britain - Tech Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Which Scottish island would you put these asylum seekers on, Ms Patel? - The National - October 8th, 2020
- Get in the fall spirit when you stock up on $20 flannels from Uniqlo - Thehour.com - October 8th, 2020
- Here's a video of all the times GOP Senate candidate John James was caught in public not wearing a mask - Detroit Metro Times - October 8th, 2020
- Ohio State has a BOOMING recruiting weekend - Land-Grant Holy Land - October 8th, 2020
- ZWALD For Polly Anna - We All Want Someone To Shout For - October 8th, 2020
- AC/DC Announces New Album 'Power Up' & Shares 'Shot In The Dark' Single - JamBase - October 8th, 2020
- Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access preview: A perfect playground to push Larian's RPG to its narrative limits - GamesRadar+ - October 8th, 2020
- High school golfers lose federal case over virus rules that kept them from D-10 tourney - GoErie.com - October 8th, 2020
- Black History Month: Are these the 10 most influential black musicians of all time? - Radio X - October 8th, 2020
- Live Stream Review: Philly Music Fest Day One Featuring Japanese Breakfast, The Districts, and More - mxdwn.com - October 4th, 2020
- Arizona Zervas / The Success Of Roxanne & Staying In His Own Lane - Flaunt Magazine - October 4th, 2020
- Roman Reigns Open To Facing CM Punk: Hed Probably Need To Be Slapped Around A Few Times - Fightful - October 4th, 2020
- Statue of Liberty-sized space rock among FIVE headed towards Earth warns NASA - RT - October 4th, 2020
- Drive In Events Proving Popular in Newton Aycliffe - Durham Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- 4 Viral Beauty Moments Of Erica Fernandes That Broke The Internet - IWMBuzz - September 2nd, 2020
- Is this one better than the original? - Insights News - September 2nd, 2020
- 'High Fidelity' Season 2 Would Have Focused on Cherise - Decider - September 2nd, 2020
- The 20 best rock albums of 1977 - Louder - September 2nd, 2020
- Plotting the path through the energy transition - Hydrocarbon Engineering - September 2nd, 2020
- JIMI HENDRIX And JOHN BONHAM - Two New Books Celebrate The Lives And Music Of Late Rock Legends - bravewords.com - September 2nd, 2020
- The HoopsHype Weekly: Ranking the Top 10 players in the 2020 NBA playoffs so far - Hoops Hype - September 2nd, 2020
- Planning Commission Very Divided on URP Proposal, but Does Barely Support Approval - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - August 31st, 2020
- When Katrina Kaif Went Flirty Chic in Some Bright Florals, Ruffles and a Whole Lot of Cakes! - Report Door - August 31st, 2020
- Here are some Scottish locations that might suit PM's taste for adventure - The National - August 10th, 2020
- How to rock all types of womens leather jackets like a pro - Business MattersBusiness Matters - August 10th, 2020
- Murs and Slug Surprise Release First New Felt Album in Over 10 Years Felt 4 U - mxdwn.com - August 10th, 2020
- PM must remember we're doing lockdown differently on Scotland visit - The National - August 9th, 2020
- Bon Iver enlists Springsteen and nods to Minneapolis homeless charity on new single - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 9th, 2020
- This August, TV ventures through The Swamp, Lovecraft Country, and the Lower Decks of Star Trek - The A.V. Club - August 9th, 2020
- Once an Outlaw to perform at Wildcat Inn Aug. 20 - Conway Daily Sun - August 8th, 2020
- Pedestrian killed by car driven by K-pop boy band 2AM's Seulong in Seoul - Manila Bulletin - August 8th, 2020
- WWE news: Who were the best Superstars in the 2000s? - GIVEMESPORT - August 7th, 2020
- Online Banking Industry Global Forecast by Products, Applications, Distribution Channels, Form, Regions, Company Analysis - Market Research Posts - August 4th, 2020
- Internet Banking Market 2020 New Techniques, Research Analysis, Treatment Types, Latest Trends, Regional Demand and Forecast Outlook 2025 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Battered by Covid-19, the fishing industry nervously awaits Brexit outcome - Irish Examiner - August 3rd, 2020
- Dingdong Dantes honors mom, wife and the Creator on his 40th b-day - Manila Bulletin - August 3rd, 2020
- This is the day: SB19 finally drops debut album 'Get in the Zone' - Manila Bulletin - August 3rd, 2020
- Watch Skip Marley And The School Of Rock All-Stars Perform Bob Marleys Three Little Birds - uDiscover Music - August 2nd, 2020
- Girls soccer gets ready to take the field again - Sedona Red Rock News - August 2nd, 2020
- Tracks of the Week #113 - God Is In The TV - August 2nd, 2020
- The untold truth of Castle Rock - Looper - August 2nd, 2020
- Finally Today's Tim arrives in virus-free holiday haven - Noosa News - July 31st, 2020
- Vessel detained near Rockall was allegedly involved in another confrontation off Scotland - Irish Examiner - July 30th, 2020
- From 'Hip Hop Hooray' to 'YMCA,' the untold stories of Jock Jams, 25 years later - ESPN - July 30th, 2020
- BILLECK: Hellebuyck snubbed when it comes to Hart, even if he doesn't think so - Winnipeg Sun - July 29th, 2020
- The 53 Best Things to Do in Seattle This Weekend: July 24-26, 2020 - TheStranger.com - July 29th, 2020
- Meet REDSIX, the Indonesian band crafting addictive, pop-punk classics - Happy - July 28th, 2020
- Were the Rolling Stones Better in the '60s or '70s? Roundtable - Ultimate Classic Rock - July 28th, 2020
- There's no plaice like home: Why we should be eating British fish - The Conservative Woman - July 28th, 2020
- Douglas County Fair and Rodeo lives on with your safety top-of-mind July 30 Aug. 2 - The Know - July 28th, 2020
- 40 years of Back In Black: a celebration of AC/DC's hard rock opus - Mixdown - July 28th, 2020
- Felix The Reaper review - "Lots of love, not enough game" - Pocket Gamer - July 28th, 2020
- In praise of the masked man - Winnipeg Free Press - July 26th, 2020
- The Outer Worlds: Perils of Gorgon Interview - Talking Storytelling, Inspiration, and Freedom with Matt Hansen & Carrie Patel - RPG Site - July 26th, 2020
- "The follow through decides where it's going to go" - Kick it like Matty Forde - SportsJOE.ie - July 25th, 2020
- From 'Hip Hop Hooray' to 'YMCA,' the untold stories of Jock Jams, 25 years later - ESPN Philippines - July 25th, 2020