This isnt a shill job or a homer reporter trying to argue a case that has no legs to stand on. If anything, the foundation of this debate is ironclad, wrapped in titanium and perfectly level.
Connor Hellebuyck deserved to be a finalist for the Hart Memorial Trophy this season as the leagues best player and theres oodles of research to back up this claim.
From his .922 save percentage this season and his league-leading six shutouts to some of the underlying numbers, which only cement his case further. A whopping 14.33 goals-saved above average, the fact he faced more shots (1,458) than anyone by a country mile 5-on-5, the most high-danger shots against (412) by the same measurement and the most rebound attempts against (186), again, by a long shot.
The definition of the Hart, too, only further supports Hellebuycks case. Awarded annually to the player judged most valuable to his team, keen observers would be hard-pressed to slot him anywhere but in the top three, if not the No. 1 spot itself.
Simply put, Hellebuyck dragged the Jets, at times, kicking and screaming out of the jaws of defeat and into the winners circle.
If the Michigan man is to win the award, it wont be this year. Edmontons Leon Drasaitl, Colorados Nathan MacKinnon and New Yorks Artemi Panarin are the final three in the running. And they are all deserving in their own right.
But Hellebuycks exclusion feels like a snub, even if the man himself doesnt see it that way.
No, not necessarily, Hellebuyck said Wednesday when asked if he felt brushed off. Those are three great players so they all deserve it themselves so for me to say I deserve more than them would just be very selfish.
Its a classy way to address the matter, and Hellebuyck is likely heading home with the Vezina Trophy this season after being named a finalist for the leagues top goaltending award for the second time in three years.
The exclusion of Hellebuyck still seems off, much in the same way that John Gibsons exclusion from the Vezina race during the 2018-19 season was seen as a slight as well.
There are several similarities between Anaheims starter and Winnipegs in terms of the analytics. In the end, Gibson got screwed because the Ducks were a tire fire and were so far from the playoffs that theyd have to enlist the Hubble Telescope just to see the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference in that particular season. That wasnt on Gibson though, who had stellar statistics that were simply overlooked by many.
Goalies have it tough when it comes to the Hart, and if your name isnt Dominik Hasek, its not an easy code to crack.
Its very difficult for you to put up the kind of numbers you need to and not play behind a really good team, said Jets head coach Paul Maurice, who naturally felt his No. 1 should have been a finalist. So the disqualifier is hes got great numbers but look at the team he plays behind. Youre going to need a guy, for a goalie, who plays on the perception of a weak team but still puts up those numbers that are off the charts, which is hard for him to do. I think for goalies, sometimes the goalies, their performance on great teams actually gets overlooked. I remember Dominik Hasek when he was in Buffalo and he got recognition for being a great goaltender, and probably wasnt fully appreciated for how good he was until after he left Buffalo. And then normal goaltending, and it wasnt even poor goaltending that came in, it was normal goaltending that came in.
Theres some really great goaltending performances each year that we probably dont validate as much because they have powerful teams in front which, again, goes into that goalie having that great year.
Hellebuyck did play behind a poor team for a good portion of the season. Winnipegs defensive game was in shambles for quite some time. You only have to look at that night in San Jose where was here, there and everywhere making 51 saves in a game the Jets won 3-2 but had no business winning.
He was the best player on the ice by far and I think we got outshot bigtime and he allowed us to win that hockey game, and there were plenty of games like that throughout the course of year, said Jets defenceman and alternate captain Josh Morrissey.
Like Maurice, naturally, Morrissey also felt his goalie should have been in the final three.
I dont think we would have been where we were at without him, thats for sure. Hes been our rock all year, hes been so solid for us. I think he should have, but again theres so many good players and when its not a cut-and-dried statistic-based award, thats the conversation were going to have. But Im pretty sure in most guys minds in our room, hed be in those three players.
Jets head coach Paul Maurice feels winning the Hart Memorial Trophy is less about one great season and more about multiple elite years strung together.
I think all of these Hart players, they put a number of years together before you can have a good year, but you need put together two or three of those kinds of years together before you start to get your name out there, Maurice said.
Perhaps tipping his cap to who he would choose out of the final three, Maurice pointed to Central Division foe Nathan MacKinnon as a prime example. And he feels Connor Hellebuyck is following that trend.
Connor is moving into the time where his name will start coming up in that, Maurice said. If its not this year, its next year or the year after. This playoff push will have a lot to say in that. Always felt that Hart Trophy wasnt necessarily for the guy who had the aberration great year. Its a great player that then had a great year. You need to have a little bit of that foundation of a number of elite years under your belt before you get where a great year isnt just an aberration everybody just understands thats how good a player you are.
See the article here:
- Kim Kardashian and Pete Davidson Rock All-Black Outfits at Comedy Event in DC - POPSUGAR - April 28th, 2022
- Southampton stalker banned from Isle of Wight - Southern Daily Echo - April 28th, 2022
- Times Square's Newest Hotel Opens With a Yankees-Themed Steakhouse - Eater NY - April 28th, 2022
- Led Zeppelin's final stand and the end of Freddy Bannister's Knebworth Festival - The Comet - April 28th, 2022
- The Guess Who Tried to Force the Who to Change Their Name - Ultimate Classic Rock - April 28th, 2022
- 95 Shropshire roads being resurfaced over next three months - see the full list - Shropshire Star - April 28th, 2022
- Rare chance to snap up property in most inaccessible and idyllic part of Scotland - The Scotsman - June 15th, 2021
- Album Review: Figueroa The World As We Know It - mxdwn.com - June 15th, 2021
- Coheed & Cambria announce tour with The Used and Meet Me @ The Altar - Brooklyn Vegan - June 15th, 2021
- Mass DPH Will Be Conducting Cancer Evaluation of PCB Exposure - WUPE - June 15th, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra to Alia Bhatt: 5 actresses who sported trendy hairstyles - Asianet Newsable - June 15th, 2021
- Want a Massage Without Leaving the House? This App Lets You Insta-Book a Therapist, Who'll Rock Up With All Their Gear - Broadsheet - June 15th, 2021
- In The Heights: Reaching New Heights for Movie Musicals Through Fashion - theknockturnal.com - June 15th, 2021
- Make Dad a Happy Camper This Fathers Day With One of These Outdoor Items On Sale For 20% Off - Mandatory - June 15th, 2021
- Pawri Ho Rahi Hai: This Little Girl's Version of Viral 'Pawri' Video is The Cutest Thing Ever | Check Hilario - India.com - February 17th, 2021
- Government Former State Scientist Calls on Ireland to Push for Renationalisation of EU Waters - Afloat - February 15th, 2021
- Gavin Hayes' state championship highlights fifth-place finish by Ola wrestling team - Henry Herald - February 15th, 2021
- PICTURES: Look back at how the Beast from the East hit Winchester in 2018 - Hampshire Chronicle - February 15th, 2021
- HBO's 30 Coins Destroys Elena and Paco's Lives With the Return of the Coin - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 15th, 2021
- The best of the west of Ireland - exploring Galway and its Connemara hinterlands - IrishCentral - February 15th, 2021
- Thermoformed Plastics Market Development Trends, Key Manufacturers & Competitive Analysis 2020-2026 | Anchor Packaging, Inc., Pactiv, LLC.,... - February 15th, 2021
- Neha Kakkar, Jonita Gandhi, And Akriti Kakars Top 5 Hottest Shades Of Lipstick That Are Simply Perfect - IWMBuzz - February 7th, 2021
- Inside Janet Jackson's Infamous Super Bowl Wardrobe Malfunction and Its Even More Complicated Aftermath - E! Online - February 7th, 2021
- New exhibition to recall Denmark's worst ever maritime disaster - The Post - The Copenhagen Post - Danish news in english - February 4th, 2021
- We Are The Union's Fresh Fruit for Rotting Punk Rock Stars takes aim at aging, once-political punks - Brooklyn Vegan - February 4th, 2021
- Did Ohio States 2017 recruiting class live up to the hype? - Land-Grant Holy Land - February 4th, 2021
- Global Internet Banking Market 2020 Size Share Upcoming Trends Segmentation And Forecast To 2026 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 4th, 2021
- Lil Kim Teams Up With PrettyLittleThing for a Super-Hot Capsule Collection - Us Weekly - December 22nd, 2020
- Competitive Landscape Internet Banking Market: Industry Outlook 2020-2026 by Key Companies, Trends, Market Segmentation & Growth Drivers - Factory... - December 22nd, 2020
- article image Rock group Motrhead and their music is still as relevant as ever - Digital Journal - December 22nd, 2020
- 'Assassin's Creed Valhalla' Cavern of Trials Guide: How to Get the Treasures of Britain - Tech Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Which Scottish island would you put these asylum seekers on, Ms Patel? - The National - October 8th, 2020
- Get in the fall spirit when you stock up on $20 flannels from Uniqlo - Thehour.com - October 8th, 2020
- Here's a video of all the times GOP Senate candidate John James was caught in public not wearing a mask - Detroit Metro Times - October 8th, 2020
- Ohio State has a BOOMING recruiting weekend - Land-Grant Holy Land - October 8th, 2020
- ZWALD For Polly Anna - We All Want Someone To Shout For - October 8th, 2020
- AC/DC Announces New Album 'Power Up' & Shares 'Shot In The Dark' Single - JamBase - October 8th, 2020
- Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access preview: A perfect playground to push Larian's RPG to its narrative limits - GamesRadar+ - October 8th, 2020
- High school golfers lose federal case over virus rules that kept them from D-10 tourney - GoErie.com - October 8th, 2020
- Black History Month: Are these the 10 most influential black musicians of all time? - Radio X - October 8th, 2020
- Live Stream Review: Philly Music Fest Day One Featuring Japanese Breakfast, The Districts, and More - mxdwn.com - October 4th, 2020
- Arizona Zervas / The Success Of Roxanne & Staying In His Own Lane - Flaunt Magazine - October 4th, 2020
- Roman Reigns Open To Facing CM Punk: Hed Probably Need To Be Slapped Around A Few Times - Fightful - October 4th, 2020
- Statue of Liberty-sized space rock among FIVE headed towards Earth warns NASA - RT - October 4th, 2020
- Drive In Events Proving Popular in Newton Aycliffe - Durham Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- 4 Viral Beauty Moments Of Erica Fernandes That Broke The Internet - IWMBuzz - September 2nd, 2020
- Is this one better than the original? - Insights News - September 2nd, 2020
- 'High Fidelity' Season 2 Would Have Focused on Cherise - Decider - September 2nd, 2020
- The 20 best rock albums of 1977 - Louder - September 2nd, 2020
- Plotting the path through the energy transition - Hydrocarbon Engineering - September 2nd, 2020
- JIMI HENDRIX And JOHN BONHAM - Two New Books Celebrate The Lives And Music Of Late Rock Legends - bravewords.com - September 2nd, 2020
- The HoopsHype Weekly: Ranking the Top 10 players in the 2020 NBA playoffs so far - Hoops Hype - September 2nd, 2020
- Planning Commission Very Divided on URP Proposal, but Does Barely Support Approval - The Peoples Vanguard of Davis - August 31st, 2020
- When Katrina Kaif Went Flirty Chic in Some Bright Florals, Ruffles and a Whole Lot of Cakes! - Report Door - August 31st, 2020
- Here are some Scottish locations that might suit PM's taste for adventure - The National - August 10th, 2020
- How to rock all types of womens leather jackets like a pro - Business MattersBusiness Matters - August 10th, 2020
- Murs and Slug Surprise Release First New Felt Album in Over 10 Years Felt 4 U - mxdwn.com - August 10th, 2020
- PM must remember we're doing lockdown differently on Scotland visit - The National - August 9th, 2020
- Bon Iver enlists Springsteen and nods to Minneapolis homeless charity on new single - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 9th, 2020
- This August, TV ventures through The Swamp, Lovecraft Country, and the Lower Decks of Star Trek - The A.V. Club - August 9th, 2020
- Once an Outlaw to perform at Wildcat Inn Aug. 20 - Conway Daily Sun - August 8th, 2020
- Pedestrian killed by car driven by K-pop boy band 2AM's Seulong in Seoul - Manila Bulletin - August 8th, 2020
- WWE news: Who were the best Superstars in the 2000s? - GIVEMESPORT - August 7th, 2020
- Online Banking Industry Global Forecast by Products, Applications, Distribution Channels, Form, Regions, Company Analysis - Market Research Posts - August 4th, 2020
- Internet Banking Market 2020 New Techniques, Research Analysis, Treatment Types, Latest Trends, Regional Demand and Forecast Outlook 2025 - Market... - August 4th, 2020
- Battered by Covid-19, the fishing industry nervously awaits Brexit outcome - Irish Examiner - August 3rd, 2020
- Dingdong Dantes honors mom, wife and the Creator on his 40th b-day - Manila Bulletin - August 3rd, 2020
- This is the day: SB19 finally drops debut album 'Get in the Zone' - Manila Bulletin - August 3rd, 2020
- Watch Skip Marley And The School Of Rock All-Stars Perform Bob Marleys Three Little Birds - uDiscover Music - August 2nd, 2020
- Girls soccer gets ready to take the field again - Sedona Red Rock News - August 2nd, 2020
- Tracks of the Week #113 - God Is In The TV - August 2nd, 2020
- The untold truth of Castle Rock - Looper - August 2nd, 2020
- Finally Today's Tim arrives in virus-free holiday haven - Noosa News - July 31st, 2020
- Vessel detained near Rockall was allegedly involved in another confrontation off Scotland - Irish Examiner - July 30th, 2020
- From 'Hip Hop Hooray' to 'YMCA,' the untold stories of Jock Jams, 25 years later - ESPN - July 30th, 2020
- The 53 Best Things to Do in Seattle This Weekend: July 24-26, 2020 - TheStranger.com - July 29th, 2020
- Meet REDSIX, the Indonesian band crafting addictive, pop-punk classics - Happy - July 28th, 2020
- Were the Rolling Stones Better in the '60s or '70s? Roundtable - Ultimate Classic Rock - July 28th, 2020
- There's no plaice like home: Why we should be eating British fish - The Conservative Woman - July 28th, 2020
- Douglas County Fair and Rodeo lives on with your safety top-of-mind July 30 Aug. 2 - The Know - July 28th, 2020