Secret documents sketch out the worst-case scenario for a 1918-like pandemic and no effective response.
Posted on March 13, 2020, at 4:54 p.m. ET
The Department of Health and Human Services has recommended that intelligence community personnel have at least three months worth of food on hand in the event of an uncontrolled pandemic.
The recommendation was contained in an unclassified influenza contingency plan drafted in 2009 by the National Security Agency. It details the sweeping steps the spy agency should take to keep its personnel safe and working on critical intelligence matters in the event of such a crisis.
The 50-page document obtained by BuzzFeed News last July following a six-year Freedom of Information Act battle tracks closely with steps that have now been widely adopted by Americans facing the current coronavirus outbreak, which the World Health Organization officially declared a global pandemic this week. The contingency plan was drafted in response to a 2006 directive from then-president George W. Bush that called upon federal government agencies to implement a "national strategy" for a potential influenza pandemic.
The new coronavirus is a novel virus in the same family as those that caused SARS and MERS. So far it has spread to more than 132,000 people across the globe and killed 4,900 people, mostly in China. While the coronavirus is much more deadly than influenza, a flu pandemic can also have devastating impacts. The 1918 Spanish flu killed almost 50 million people worldwide.
Since 2013, BuzzFeed News has filed more than two dozen public records requests with multiple federal agencies seeking their influenza pandemic plans. Many agencies have refused. As recently as Thursday, the Securities and Exchange Commission cited an exemption under FOIA that applies to "the internal personnel rules and practices of an agency.
The NSA did not respond to a request for comment about whether the contingency plan it issued a decade ago has been updated and if it can be applied to the coronavirus pandemic. However, an official with the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which oversees the intelligence community, told BuzzFeed News the agency intends to implement guidance issued by the Office of Personnel Management to ensure the intelligence communitys mission remains uninterrupted.
The IC has numerous missions requiring a global workforce presence, the official said, referring to the intelligence community. Agencies are developing preparation and response plans consistent with federal guidelines and regulations.
During a pandemic, the NSA's 2009 plan states that every time affiliates civilian or military personnel assigned to work at that agency enter a government building they would be screened for fever or other flulike symptoms, in an area outfitted with special airflow and filtration capabilities. The plan also limits employee travel and requires a physicians clearance to return from work after illness. In a crisis, the plan would give NSA leadership the ability to quarantine individuals, campuses or NSA headquarters.
Some workers would be asked to do jobs they dont normally do to staff critical mission functions for the NSA. During a pandemic, the agency would make evacuation payments to workers so they can reach a safe haven and continue working. The NSA also planned to provide access to psychologists or social workers to address stress.
The plan pointed out that simple steps, such as social distancing and proper hand-washing, are effective at slowing the spread of the virus. And the plan said that the goal of public health officials should be to slow down the rate of infection and limit the burden on medical staff and hospitals.
The plan is supplemented by a PowerPoint presentation titled Pandemic Planning that was written by the Department of Health and Human Services and contains specific recommendations for the intelligence community.
In one slide, HHS made stark predictions about a possible viral outbreak. We dont know when the next pandemic will occur, which influenza virus will cause it, or how severe it will be, the document stated.
A slide titled Pandemic Severity Index ranks threat levels. The top level is at Category 5 at which at least 2% of infected people die. Assuming a 1918-like pandemic and no effective response, the document said, more than 1.9 million Americans would die and 9.9 million others would require hospitalization.
Another slide titled Pandemic Policy to Maintain the IC Mission Objectives suggests that intelligence officers based overseas leave foreign countries early, return home and have enough food for 12 weeks and stockpile masks and medication.
HHS updated its pandemic influenza plan in 2017.
- Edward Snowden will not be pardoned in his lifetime, says author of new book on the NSA whistleblower - Yahoo News - May 22nd, 2020
- Someone is trying to catfish women by pretending to be Paul Nakasone - CyberScoop - May 22nd, 2020
- Myanmar hands over 22 Northeast insurgents to India, operation monitored by NSA Ajit Doval - ThePrint - May 22nd, 2020
- Coronavirus: Sports associations in Singapore stretched but strive to keep staff, salaries intact - The Straits Times - May 22nd, 2020
- Post-Covid, nations will look inwards; India should look at neighbourhood: Ex-NSA - Observer Research Foundation - May 22nd, 2020
- Journalist Who Helped Break Snowden's Story Reflects On His High-Stakes Reporting - WFDD - May 22nd, 2020
- National Security Agency - Wikipedia - May 15th, 2020
- Q&A: What is 'unmasking'? - The Southern - May 15th, 2020
- National Intelligence Report Shows The FBI Never Gets Warrants For Its Backdoor Searches Of NSA Collections - Techdirt - May 15th, 2020
- The NSA has Values and Baby Monitors Go Hi-Tech - CTech - May 15th, 2020
- NSA Ajit Doval packs in 3 blunt messages to Pak in daily PoK weather forecast - Hindustan Times - May 15th, 2020
- NSA welcomes start of trade talks with the US - Darlington and Stockton Times - May 15th, 2020
- Blame NSA for May 9 Disaster - Referee Wilson Sey, man in centre of the fateful game - GhanaWeb - May 15th, 2020
- A discovered malware sample uses code from the NSA and a Chinese hacking group - CyberScoop - May 9th, 2020
- FISA Surveillance and Possible Reforms Are Back on the Senate's Agenda - Reason - May 9th, 2020
- Little League, city softball, others still in holding pattern - Midland Daily News - May 9th, 2020
- Covid-19 different from Tiananmen, China wont be able to tide over crisis: Ex-NSA Menon - ThePrint - May 9th, 2020
- Dismay, confusion over St. Paul Park charter school's impending closure - Bring Me The News - May 9th, 2020
- Operation Jackboot: NSA Ajit Dovals brainchild that eliminated Hizbul Mujahideen chief Riyaz Naikoo - Times Now - May 9th, 2020
- Redmi K30 5G Extreme Edition with 48MP main camera to arrive on May 11 - Gizchina.com - May 9th, 2020
- The FBI Set Flynn Up to Preserve the TrumpRussia Probe - National Review - May 5th, 2020
- Keysight First to Gain Approval from 3GPP for 5G New Radio Protocol Test Cases that Support Carrier Aggregation - EE Journal - May 5th, 2020
- Liberia: Chief Medical Officer Confirms the Investigation of Lab Technicians over 'Leaked' COVID-19 Results - Front Page Africa - May 5th, 2020
- The reach of cyberattacks related to Covid-19 - Politico - April 26th, 2020
- Odisha to invoke NSA for attacks against doctors and healthcare personnel - Economic Times - April 26th, 2020
- NSA Web Shell Advisory and Mitigation Tools Published on GitHub - Computer Business Review - April 26th, 2020
- Six test corona positive in MP after visiting hair-cutting salon that served COVID-19 patient earlier - The New Indian Express - April 26th, 2020
- Washington fights to stay in Syria game from isolated base - The Arab Weekly - April 26th, 2020
- The Reverend John J. Morris, Served 27 Years At OLL - My veronanj - April 26th, 2020
- How a girl grasped the Holy Grail of encryption and changed the paradigm for safely sharing data - SiliconANGLE - April 14th, 2020
- Weird Hours, Contractor Concerns: How the Intelligence Community Is Grappling with Coronavirus - Defense One - April 14th, 2020
- How the National Sheriffs' Association is working to assist agencies in the COVID-19 crisis - Police News - April 14th, 2020
- Walkers asked to heed rules - Craven Herald - April 14th, 2020
- Use of Zoom app with security weaknesses cause of concern - indica News - April 14th, 2020
- All you need to know about the all-new OnePlus 8 Series - TechPP - April 14th, 2020
- What is the National Security Act, (NSA),1980 and when is it imposed? - Jagran Josh - April 11th, 2020
- February construction unemployment rates down in 37 states year over year - AZ Big Media - April 11th, 2020
- NSA Sheep Event and NSA Scotsheep 2020 postponed - Agriland.co.uk - April 9th, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Announces Internalization of Its Largest PRO and Appointment of David Cramer as Its Chief Operating Officer - Business... - April 2nd, 2020
- NSA Ajit Doval met Nizamuddin event organisers, convinced them about threat it poses - MyNation - April 2nd, 2020
- TikTok popularity irrefutably correlated with US unemployment claims - The Tech - April 2nd, 2020
- 4 candidates vie to be militarys next spy chief - POLITICO - April 2nd, 2020
- Ex-NSA hacker finds new Zoom flaws to takeover Macs all over again, together with webcam, mic, and root obtain - Mash Viral - April 2nd, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Trust (NSA) distance from 20-day Simple moving Average is -15.14% : What to Expect? - The InvestChronicle - March 16th, 2020
- Even With Corona Virus, the Show Must Go On - Wheeling Intelligencer - March 16th, 2020
- Over Objections From Privacy Advocates, Tame Surveillance Bill Sails Through the House - Reason - March 16th, 2020
- Ensuring the Cybersecurity and Resilience of the Defense Industrial Base - Lawfare - March 16th, 2020
- To Defend Forward, the U.S. Must Strengthen the Cyber Mission Force - Lawfare - March 16th, 2020
- Four priorities of the education agenda - The Daily Star - March 16th, 2020
- Is an *NSYNC Reunion Any Closer to Reality? Weve Been Talking, Says Lance Bass - Variety - March 16th, 2020
- NSA Offers Suggestions on Restructuring the IRS - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - February 24th, 2020
- NSA whistleblower petitions Trump for clemency | TheHill - The Hill - February 24th, 2020
- Advice crucial, but not the only source of truth: NSA - Professional Planner - February 24th, 2020
- Dont distract COAS, Buratai over Buharis NSA/Chief of Staff face-off, former CP cautions - Vanguard - February 24th, 2020
- PSA to honor ABAP as NSA of the Year - ABS-CBN Sports - February 24th, 2020
- Congress set for clash over surveillance reforms | TheHill - The Hill - February 24th, 2020
- Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner and NSA among Trump`s high-level delegation to India - WION - February 24th, 2020
- Statement on the Firing of Oakland Police Chief Kirkpatrick - SF Bay Area Indymedia - February 24th, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Trust (NSA) overbought Stock to Bite? We have reviewed it - News Welcome - February 12th, 2020
- Unclear NSA CIO Role Puts the Agency's IT at Risk, IG Says - Nextgov - January 30th, 2020
- Remember the Clipper chip? NSA's botched backdoor-for-Feds from 1993 still influences today's encryption debates - The Register - January 30th, 2020
- What we discussed with Buhari at security meeting NSA - The News - January 30th, 2020
- Powerful lawmakers join effort to kill surveillance program protected by Trump administration - POLITICO - January 30th, 2020
- Edward Snowden warns that Assange and Greenwald prosecutions mark new stage in assault on press freedom - World Socialist Web Site - January 30th, 2020
- Home Prices Rose in All 20 Metro Areas Reported by S&P - Professional Builder - January 30th, 2020
- Sheep farmers invited to the NI NSA AGM - Farming Life - January 30th, 2020
- Explaining why Reality Winner is still in prison with Kerry Howley: podcast and transcript - NBC News - January 30th, 2020
- New Maryland Bill Will Make Possession of Ransomware Illegal - CryptoVibes - January 30th, 2020
- Microsoft patches Windows 10 after NSA finds vulnerability - January 19th, 2020
- NSA goes public with Windows security vulnerability - Technical.ly DC - January 19th, 2020
- NSA tips off Microsoft to security flaw | TheHill - The Hill - January 19th, 2020
- Edward Snowden - Wikipedia - January 16th, 2020
- The Decade We Learned Theres No Such Thing as Privacy Online - VICE - January 5th, 2020
- NSA O'Brien on North Korea: 'We Have a Lot of Tools in Our Toolkit' - MRCTV - January 5th, 2020
- McKean County man serves and protects as a dog handler in the U.S. Navy - Olean Times Herald - January 5th, 2020
- On CAA and Article 370, former NSA Shivshankar Menon warns India of international isolation - Scroll.in - January 5th, 2020
- NSA 'cautious' response to UK farm funding - The Scottish Farmer - January 5th, 2020
- Jewel v. NSA: On to the Ninth Circuit: 2019 Year in Review - EFF - December 28th, 2019
- Popular messaging app is UAE spy tool, developed by firm employing ex-NSA and Israeli intel officers - Haaretz - December 28th, 2019
- No Surprise: Judge Says US Government Can Take The Proceeds From Snowden's Book - Techdirt - December 28th, 2019