When I was in Houston recently for our National Speakers Association (NSA) Winter Conference, one of the topics discussed was the corona virus. For professional speakers, it is a big concern since speaking at conventions or conferences is a major source of their income. Canceled meetings mean lost revenues.
A panel of experts told the attendees to expect many meetings to cancel out of caution, especially international meetings. They also gave us hope. Several years ago, one of the panelists had been to the region of China where the virus initiated. He told us the population in that region is over 20 million.
The number of reported virus cases in that region is approximately 200,000.
A person in that high-risk region has a very small chance of getting the virus and an even lower chance of being killed by it. We probably have a higher chance of getting the flu. This doesnt mean we shouldnt be concerned or take common sense precautions.
The panel made the point that speaking is a delivery system. This is a time to be creative. There are other ways to communicate information, such as webinars or video conferences, to name just two. The point is, we cant control the spread of the corona virus and we cant control the decision of an organization or company to cancel a convention or conference.
We cant control the actions of others. We do have control of our own actions and how we react to a problem.
Lynnda and I left Houston on a Sunday and flew to Orlando. We went straight to Epcot at Walt Disney World for a test run. We are both recovering from knee surgery and are coming back to Disney in a month with our youngest son and his family of four children. We wanted to make sure we could navigate the parks and rides without the need of a wheelchair or other assistance.
There is a lot of walking involved. Could we do it? Waiting for Lynnda to get her purse inspected at Epcot security, I got a call from my friend, Ben at IHSMarkit. He told me that out of concern for attendee safety, the World Petrochemical Conference in New Orleans the week of March 23 was canceled. As predicted at NSA, I was impacted by the corona virus.
WPC is a big deal for Shale Crescent USA. We have been preparing for months. We are a major sponsor. We were doing a lunch presentation. Last year our lunch presentation was packed to standing room only. I had meetings set up with six major companies all prospects for coming to our region. Historically WPC has been our best source of prospects and leads. All of this gone with one phone call we had no control over.
The panel of experts told us at NSA that if a conference is canceled, the reasons for people attending remain. That creates opportunity.
Most likely if WPC had been held, attendance would be lower. There would have been an increased risk for us of being infected, especially from a foreign source.
A number of other meetings have already been canceled. Some companies have restricted travel. We were going to meet our son in-law from Baltimore at the Orlando airport hotel. He was flying in for a one- day meeting. It was canceled.
At Shale Crescent USA, we have a choice. We can do nothing and feel sorry for ourselves or we can do something.
The WPC attendees have needs. We can help. We believe the show must go on. We decided to take control and seize the opportunity. We have begun to reschedule our WPC meetings with U.S. companies. We are still working on our presentation to turn it into a webinar or video conference. We can reach out to the same people and companies that would have been in attendance at our luncheon.
Asian companies will be more difficult, since we cant meet individually right now. There is a 12- to 14-hour time difference, so some of our webinars and video conferences could be at some odd night time hours. We may be able to get some of these companies to attend Select USA in June and meet with them at that time. There are always other possibilities we havent considered.
What does this mean to you? Life and business are full of surprises, some of them bad. There are circumstances and people we have no control over.
We have 100% control over our attitude and our actions. Doing nothing or having a personal pity party is not an option if we want to succeed.
We will all be impacted by the corona virus in some way. We are seeing lower gasoline prices due to reduced Chinese demand. We are also seeing lower stock market prices impacting our net worth, 401K or retirement. Business travel is already being restricted. Companies and individuals depending on China for products are impacted. We cant change these macro impacts. We can decide how we choose to react to them.
The corona virus is like any other problem we have no control over. We can choose to take control of our attitude and our actions. We can use our creativity. Some of what we do will fail. We can try something else. We can choose not to quit. I dont know what the result of our actions at Shale Crescent USA will be. The show must go on.
We will move forward.
I do know Lynnda overcame her surgery and I overcame my injury to have three great days without needing a wheelchair at Disney World. The show did go on. We believe we are ready for the grandkids. All things are possible.
Greg Kozera, email@example.com is the director of marketing and sales for Shale Crescent USA. He is a professional engineer with a masters degree in environmental engineering who has over 40 years experience in the energy industry. Greg is a leadership expert and the author of four books and numerous published articles.
Today's breaking news and more in your inbox
Why are so many public officials rushing to close public schools and ban big gatherings?Why are some companies ...
At the conclusion of the recent Business and Health Expo, vendors were handed a survey form pertaining to the ...
Its 2020, and while most minds might be on the upcoming elections, theres another way you can have your voice ...
We all need incentive. If we dont have it, everything grinds to a halt in our lives. But if we do have it, it is ...
You may have heard of the butterfly effect. The late Edward Lorenz, an American mathematician and ...
I wasnt afraid. Yet I heard the concern in my parents voice when they talked about it. I was just a ...
Read more here:
- Edward Snowden will not be pardoned in his lifetime, says author of new book on the NSA whistleblower - Yahoo News - May 22nd, 2020
- Someone is trying to catfish women by pretending to be Paul Nakasone - CyberScoop - May 22nd, 2020
- Myanmar hands over 22 Northeast insurgents to India, operation monitored by NSA Ajit Doval - ThePrint - May 22nd, 2020
- Coronavirus: Sports associations in Singapore stretched but strive to keep staff, salaries intact - The Straits Times - May 22nd, 2020
- Post-Covid, nations will look inwards; India should look at neighbourhood: Ex-NSA - Observer Research Foundation - May 22nd, 2020
- Journalist Who Helped Break Snowden's Story Reflects On His High-Stakes Reporting - WFDD - May 22nd, 2020
- National Security Agency - Wikipedia - May 15th, 2020
- Q&A: What is 'unmasking'? - The Southern - May 15th, 2020
- National Intelligence Report Shows The FBI Never Gets Warrants For Its Backdoor Searches Of NSA Collections - Techdirt - May 15th, 2020
- The NSA has Values and Baby Monitors Go Hi-Tech - CTech - May 15th, 2020
- NSA Ajit Doval packs in 3 blunt messages to Pak in daily PoK weather forecast - Hindustan Times - May 15th, 2020
- NSA welcomes start of trade talks with the US - Darlington and Stockton Times - May 15th, 2020
- Blame NSA for May 9 Disaster - Referee Wilson Sey, man in centre of the fateful game - GhanaWeb - May 15th, 2020
- A discovered malware sample uses code from the NSA and a Chinese hacking group - CyberScoop - May 9th, 2020
- FISA Surveillance and Possible Reforms Are Back on the Senate's Agenda - Reason - May 9th, 2020
- Little League, city softball, others still in holding pattern - Midland Daily News - May 9th, 2020
- Covid-19 different from Tiananmen, China wont be able to tide over crisis: Ex-NSA Menon - ThePrint - May 9th, 2020
- Dismay, confusion over St. Paul Park charter school's impending closure - Bring Me The News - May 9th, 2020
- Operation Jackboot: NSA Ajit Dovals brainchild that eliminated Hizbul Mujahideen chief Riyaz Naikoo - Times Now - May 9th, 2020
- Redmi K30 5G Extreme Edition with 48MP main camera to arrive on May 11 - Gizchina.com - May 9th, 2020
- The FBI Set Flynn Up to Preserve the TrumpRussia Probe - National Review - May 5th, 2020
- Keysight First to Gain Approval from 3GPP for 5G New Radio Protocol Test Cases that Support Carrier Aggregation - EE Journal - May 5th, 2020
- Liberia: Chief Medical Officer Confirms the Investigation of Lab Technicians over 'Leaked' COVID-19 Results - Front Page Africa - May 5th, 2020
- The reach of cyberattacks related to Covid-19 - Politico - April 26th, 2020
- Odisha to invoke NSA for attacks against doctors and healthcare personnel - Economic Times - April 26th, 2020
- NSA Web Shell Advisory and Mitigation Tools Published on GitHub - Computer Business Review - April 26th, 2020
- Six test corona positive in MP after visiting hair-cutting salon that served COVID-19 patient earlier - The New Indian Express - April 26th, 2020
- Washington fights to stay in Syria game from isolated base - The Arab Weekly - April 26th, 2020
- The Reverend John J. Morris, Served 27 Years At OLL - My veronanj - April 26th, 2020
- How a girl grasped the Holy Grail of encryption and changed the paradigm for safely sharing data - SiliconANGLE - April 14th, 2020
- Weird Hours, Contractor Concerns: How the Intelligence Community Is Grappling with Coronavirus - Defense One - April 14th, 2020
- How the National Sheriffs' Association is working to assist agencies in the COVID-19 crisis - Police News - April 14th, 2020
- Walkers asked to heed rules - Craven Herald - April 14th, 2020
- Use of Zoom app with security weaknesses cause of concern - indica News - April 14th, 2020
- All you need to know about the all-new OnePlus 8 Series - TechPP - April 14th, 2020
- What is the National Security Act, (NSA),1980 and when is it imposed? - Jagran Josh - April 11th, 2020
- February construction unemployment rates down in 37 states year over year - AZ Big Media - April 11th, 2020
- NSA Sheep Event and NSA Scotsheep 2020 postponed - Agriland.co.uk - April 9th, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Announces Internalization of Its Largest PRO and Appointment of David Cramer as Its Chief Operating Officer - Business... - April 2nd, 2020
- NSA Ajit Doval met Nizamuddin event organisers, convinced them about threat it poses - MyNation - April 2nd, 2020
- TikTok popularity irrefutably correlated with US unemployment claims - The Tech - April 2nd, 2020
- 4 candidates vie to be militarys next spy chief - POLITICO - April 2nd, 2020
- Ex-NSA hacker finds new Zoom flaws to takeover Macs all over again, together with webcam, mic, and root obtain - Mash Viral - April 2nd, 2020
- Heres How The National Security Agency Will Protect Itself During A Pandemic - BuzzFeed News - March 16th, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Trust (NSA) distance from 20-day Simple moving Average is -15.14% : What to Expect? - The InvestChronicle - March 16th, 2020
- Over Objections From Privacy Advocates, Tame Surveillance Bill Sails Through the House - Reason - March 16th, 2020
- Ensuring the Cybersecurity and Resilience of the Defense Industrial Base - Lawfare - March 16th, 2020
- To Defend Forward, the U.S. Must Strengthen the Cyber Mission Force - Lawfare - March 16th, 2020
- Four priorities of the education agenda - The Daily Star - March 16th, 2020
- Is an *NSYNC Reunion Any Closer to Reality? Weve Been Talking, Says Lance Bass - Variety - March 16th, 2020
- NSA Offers Suggestions on Restructuring the IRS - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - February 24th, 2020
- NSA whistleblower petitions Trump for clemency | TheHill - The Hill - February 24th, 2020
- Advice crucial, but not the only source of truth: NSA - Professional Planner - February 24th, 2020
- Dont distract COAS, Buratai over Buharis NSA/Chief of Staff face-off, former CP cautions - Vanguard - February 24th, 2020
- PSA to honor ABAP as NSA of the Year - ABS-CBN Sports - February 24th, 2020
- Congress set for clash over surveillance reforms | TheHill - The Hill - February 24th, 2020
- Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner and NSA among Trump`s high-level delegation to India - WION - February 24th, 2020
- Statement on the Firing of Oakland Police Chief Kirkpatrick - SF Bay Area Indymedia - February 24th, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Trust (NSA) overbought Stock to Bite? We have reviewed it - News Welcome - February 12th, 2020
- Unclear NSA CIO Role Puts the Agency's IT at Risk, IG Says - Nextgov - January 30th, 2020
- Remember the Clipper chip? NSA's botched backdoor-for-Feds from 1993 still influences today's encryption debates - The Register - January 30th, 2020
- What we discussed with Buhari at security meeting NSA - The News - January 30th, 2020
- Powerful lawmakers join effort to kill surveillance program protected by Trump administration - POLITICO - January 30th, 2020
- Edward Snowden warns that Assange and Greenwald prosecutions mark new stage in assault on press freedom - World Socialist Web Site - January 30th, 2020
- Home Prices Rose in All 20 Metro Areas Reported by S&P - Professional Builder - January 30th, 2020
- Sheep farmers invited to the NI NSA AGM - Farming Life - January 30th, 2020
- Explaining why Reality Winner is still in prison with Kerry Howley: podcast and transcript - NBC News - January 30th, 2020
- New Maryland Bill Will Make Possession of Ransomware Illegal - CryptoVibes - January 30th, 2020
- Microsoft patches Windows 10 after NSA finds vulnerability - January 19th, 2020
- NSA goes public with Windows security vulnerability - Technical.ly DC - January 19th, 2020
- NSA tips off Microsoft to security flaw | TheHill - The Hill - January 19th, 2020
- Edward Snowden - Wikipedia - January 16th, 2020
- The Decade We Learned Theres No Such Thing as Privacy Online - VICE - January 5th, 2020
- NSA O'Brien on North Korea: 'We Have a Lot of Tools in Our Toolkit' - MRCTV - January 5th, 2020
- McKean County man serves and protects as a dog handler in the U.S. Navy - Olean Times Herald - January 5th, 2020
- On CAA and Article 370, former NSA Shivshankar Menon warns India of international isolation - Scroll.in - January 5th, 2020
- NSA 'cautious' response to UK farm funding - The Scottish Farmer - January 5th, 2020
- Jewel v. NSA: On to the Ninth Circuit: 2019 Year in Review - EFF - December 28th, 2019
- Popular messaging app is UAE spy tool, developed by firm employing ex-NSA and Israeli intel officers - Haaretz - December 28th, 2019
- No Surprise: Judge Says US Government Can Take The Proceeds From Snowden's Book - Techdirt - December 28th, 2019