WILTSHIRE, England Druid Stuart Hannington of Tottenham says that closing of Byway 12, a gravel road near the stones will deter Pagans from attending the annual event.
Hannington says that those who hoped to gather nearby and use Byway 12 for access cannot.
Bridget Wayman, Wiltshire Councils highways chief, said: We want people to enjoy the event and every year close Byway 12 for the safe, managed, open access so everyone can enjoy the solstice safely. Both Byway 11 and 12 are closed from December 18 through December 23.
While The Mirror reports that 400 people who intended to camp in the field near the Byway are upset at the restricted access, its unclear whether camping has ever been allowed in the recent past. The English Heritage group which manages Stonehenge clearly states on its website that camping is not allowed on or near the site.
The exact local time of the Winter Solstice is 4:19 am but public access to the stones does not begin until 7:45 am, provided it is light enough to safely navigate the path and runs until 10:00 am.
Attendance is estimated to be around 5,000 people. Those who plan to visit the site for the observance are encouraged to use Stonehenge Solstice car sharing and bus services, as parking is very limited.
For those who opt to stay home, they can watch a live broadcast of Stonehenge on Periscope.
* * *
[First State Satanists logo]
The First State Satanists identify as non-theistic modern satanic group, reject supernaturalism and instead advocate for positive change in our corporeal world in the areas of religious plurality, bodily autonomy, and equal rights for all people. Members strive to educate themselves and others about modern Satanism, politics, and science and promote charitable works within their communities. They also list themselves as a Friends of The Satanic Temple group.
Earlier this year, the town banned unattended displays on The Circle due to safety concerns, which affected the nativity scene normally put up by a local church.
In response to the towns decision another group, the Good Ole Boy Foundation, coordinated with local churches and received a permit from the town to present a live nativity scene each night from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm, beginning on December 11th and running through December 24. The event has been canceled for December 16th due to inclement weather.
The First State Satanists plan to hold a candlelight vigil to observe the Winter Solstice from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm on The Circle on Sunday, December 22. On the groups event page they invite fellow faithless friends and all those who support our countrys religious freedoms to join them in celebrating pluralism, religious diversity, and equal rights during this holiday season.
A spokesperson for the Good Ole Boy Foundation says they are aware of The First State Satanists vigil, and acknowledges that other groups with differing views have a right to express those views in a public space.
* * *
Crossings of the Veil
Last Friday evening, December 13, Waverly Fitzgerald lost her battle with cancer.
Fitzgerald was based in Seattle and wrote both fiction and non-fiction, though many Pagans may remember her for her work on The Beltane Papers with Helen Farias. Fitzgerald became editor of the Beltane Papers in 1994 after Farias death and continued in that role until 1998 when she resigned to focus more on her writing and teaching.
Fitzgerald was a noted folklorist and published several books of interest to Pagans: Slow Time: Recovering the Natural Rhythm of Life, and several books that focused on the crafts and customs and rituals surrounding Pagan celebrations, most notably:Celebrating Spring Equinox andCelebrating Summer Solstice.Her writing also was featured in the publications Sagewoman and Gnosis.
She taught classes online, and for Hugo House in Seattle, and also offered correspondence courses through her site, School of the Seasons. In 2014 she opened her own publishing company, Rat City Publishing.
She is noted by others for being kind, talented, and generousespecially in the aid she provided to many writers, both aspiring and well-established, with her wellspring of knowledge.
What is remembered, lives.
In other news:
Tarot of the week by Star Bustamonte
Deck: Tarot of the Celtic Fairies by Mark McElroy, artwork by Eldar Minibaev, and published by Lo Scarabeo
Card: Two (2) of Cauldrons (cups)
The week ahead offers opportunities for new connections or partnerships. The ability to empathize may figure prominently. Conversely, relationships that do not serve or hold any real potential, may dissolve or fall away.
Decks generously provided byAsheville Raven & Crone.
The rest is here:
- Modern Satanism | Spiral Nature Magazine - April 1st, 2020
- The Evolution of Modern Satanism in the United States - Time - April 1st, 2020
- The Satanic Temple Has The Best Response To The COVID-19 Pandemic Yet - HillReporter.com - March 27th, 2020
- Adulting in the Beyond | Review of Extra Ordinary - Washington Examiner - March 25th, 2020
- Satanism - Founders, Philosophies & Branches - HISTORY - February 29th, 2020
- Types of Satanism and Their Beliefs - learnreligions.com - February 29th, 2020
- Grimmfest 2020: Screen Classic Horror Movies as Part of Their Horror Legends Season - ScreenAnarchy - January 30th, 2020
- A Modern Witch's Guide to Paris: Where to Find the Occult and Esoteric - Frenchly - January 30th, 2020
- The best movies of 2019 that you haven't seen - The Guardian - January 5th, 2020
- Catholic Exorcist Warns of Rise in 'Aggressive Satanism' Among Young People - Newsweek - December 26th, 2019
- Are these the 20 scariest horror movies of all time? - TheSpec.com - October 16th, 2019
- 40 Scariest Halloween Movies of All Time - Best Classic Horror Movies - Esquire - October 1st, 2019
- Satanism - Wikipedia - April 27th, 2019
- Theistic Satanism - Wikipedia - April 27th, 2019
- The Occult and Satanism in America - The American TFP - March 20th, 2019
- We are using witchcraft, Satanism and magic confesses ... - March 3rd, 2019
- Modern Paganism - Wikipedia - October 6th, 2018
- o 9 a - October 6th, 2018
- The Satanic Bible - Wikipedia - July 27th, 2018
- Satanism | occult practice | Britannica.com - July 6th, 2018
- Freemasonry: Midwife to an Occult Empire - June 13th, 2018
- F.A.Q. Fundamental Beliefs | churchofsatan.com - June 2nd, 2018
- Satanism | Hollywood Subliminals - March 4th, 2018
- The Luciferian next door A modern face of satanism and ... - February 27th, 2018
- The Origins Of Modern Zionism & Satanism ... - February 9th, 2018
- Neo-vlkisch movements - Wikipedia - January 27th, 2018
- Important Women of Satanism - Diane LaVey - Spiritual ... - January 24th, 2018
- Why Some Christians Are Calling White Supremacy 'Satanic' - HuffPost - August 25th, 2017
- Wash Post column cheers Satan, jeers Christians - WND.com - August 25th, 2017
- I'm a founder of the Satanic Temple. Don't blame Satan for white ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Court orders new trial in satanic sacrificial murder case RT America - Standard Republic (press release) (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Satanic Leader Calls Upon Christian America to Face Their Contribution to Racist Right - Patheos (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- The Devil's Cradle: The Story of Finnish Black Metal - The Gauntlet - August 25th, 2017
- I'm a founder of the Satanic Temple. Don't blame Satan for white supremacy. - Washington Post - August 24th, 2017
- A Brief But Very Informative History of How Fascists Infiltrated Punk ... - Noisey - August 24th, 2017
- We Asked Diehard Swedish Metalheads What They Consider to be 'Metal' - Noisey - August 22nd, 2017
- Nottinghamshire sees increase in Witchcraft complaints | The Wild ... - The Wild Hunt - August 12th, 2017
- The Wild Hunt | Tag Archive | paranormal investigation - The Wild Hunt - August 11th, 2017
- Secular doctors are realizing that demonic possession is real, and needs special attention - Catholic Online - August 7th, 2017
- Nocturnes Mist announce Sept 15th release of "Diabolical Baptism" - The Gauntlet - August 5th, 2017
- 'Embrace ICT with caution' - The Herald - August 4th, 2017
- Kangaroo Court: Of Chief Lundu orders to ban ECG church | Malawi ... - Nyasa Times - August 2nd, 2017
- Coltrain: Satanism and paganism are not the same thing - The Daily Iowan - July 24th, 2017
- How the Satanic Temple Became a Queer Haven - VICE - July 24th, 2017
- It's Time to Overanalyze the First American Horror Story: Cult Teaser - POPSUGAR - July 22nd, 2017
- Neo-Pagan Witchcraft vs Satanism - June 29th, 2017
- Modern Satanism | Prometheism.net - Part 7 - June 27th, 2017
- Satanism Making Comeback Through Witchcraft and Atheism: Rabbi - Breaking Israel News - June 27th, 2017
- Outlast 2 Garishly Exploits Your Sexual Hangups For Horror - Paste Magazine - June 24th, 2017
- Ritual Skulls and Other Magical Objects, in Photos - Atlas Obscura - June 23rd, 2017
- Christians and Jews Combat Witches' Summer Solstice Satanic ... - CBN News - June 22nd, 2017
- Paganism Is Back! Now What Are We Christians Going to Do? - Patheos (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- The Occult Roots of Modernism - The New Yorker - June 20th, 2017
- Modern Satanism: Anatomy of a Radical Subculture - Chris ... - June 17th, 2017
- The Alt-Right Is the Modern, Hideous Face of White Supremacy - AlterNet - June 12th, 2017
- Witch Hunts, Resurgence and Defiance: Heavy Metal In The Middle East - The Quietus - June 12th, 2017
- Understanding contemporary white supremacy: Is the alt-right really something new? - Salon - June 11th, 2017
- Catholic Priest: MN Park's New Monument Will Attract Satanists Who Want to Molest Kids - Patheos (blog) - June 10th, 2017
- Modern Satanism | Prometheism.net - June 8th, 2017
- The Gallows Pole By Benjamin Myers: A Playlist - The Quietus - June 6th, 2017
- In literature and art from over 100 years ago, images of the cow as mother - The Indian Express - April 8th, 2017
- 'Bible torching,' 'neo-satanic' college group planned 'lamb sacrifice' at Clemson University - TheBlaze.com - March 12th, 2017
- The Awolowo legacy and its message for Nigerian youths - Tribune - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog) - March 12th, 2017
- The Awolowo Legacy And Its Message For Nigerian Youths | The ... - The News - March 9th, 2017
- Modern Satanism | Prometheism.net - Part 2 - March 6th, 2017
- Witchcraft is the new feminism - NME.com (blog) - March 6th, 2017
- How Does the New Turkish Curriculum Look Like? Conservative Changes Dominate - PoliticalCritique.org - March 2nd, 2017
- Delusions of Antiquity - Splice Today - February 24th, 2017
- Zeal & Ardor Devil is Fine: Album Stream - The Independent - February 20th, 2017
- Coming to America: The History of Mail-Order Brides - Utne Reader Online - February 20th, 2017
- Deconstructing Pagan religions - Daily News & Analysis - February 18th, 2017
- Weekly roundup of world briefs from JTA - Heritage Florida Jewish News - February 18th, 2017
- Female cultism in Nigerian universities and other dangerous cults - NAIJ.COM - February 15th, 2017
- Russian Lawmaker Says Jews Once 'Boiled Us In Cauldrons' - Forward - February 14th, 2017
- The Week in Art: Sarah Crowner at the Guggenheim's Wright Restaurant and Jake and Dinos Chapman in LA - artnet News - February 7th, 2017
- Unhinged 'Professor' Whose Hissy Fit at NYU Went Viral Turns Out to Be Lobster Porn Artist - PJ Media - February 7th, 2017
- Christians think 'the Rapture' is coming and the signs are already here - Metro - February 7th, 2017
- Modern Satanism: Anatomy of a Radical Subculture by Chris ... - February 5th, 2017
- Satanism - RationalWiki - December 11th, 2016
- An Introduction to LaVeyan Satanism and the Church of Satan - December 10th, 2016