Although many utopian societies seem doomed from the outset, the Republic of Minerva was up against a unique challenge: Creating a libertarian micronation on reclaimed reefs in the Pacific Ocean, when the land already had an owner.
Situated 250 miles from Tonga, the Republic of Minerva was conceived by wealthy Nevada real estate mogul Michael Oliver. According to Oliver, his organization the Ocean Life Research Foundation had raised $100 million to create a utopian society on Pacific reefs. Olivers plan was to create a micro-nation without taxes, welfare or economic intervention, that lived chiefly off of tourism and fishing.
In 1971, Minervas construction began by bringing barges of sand to the reefs to raise them out of the ocean. Oliver then led a conference of neighboring states in which he delcared his intentions, only to find out that Tonga had issued a claim over the land. At that point, Oliver and his organization jumped the gun a little bit. Ignoring other claims to Minerva, Oliver issued a declaration of independence and created a coin currency for his new nation and was all set to launch into his experiment in nation building.
Unfortunately, the King of Tonga did not accept the new countrys legitimacy, and issued a document laying official claim to the reefs. Within months, representatives from Tonga made it clear they were in control of the reefs, and Oliver and his followers left without a fight.
Since that time, a few other groups have tried to set up shop on the islands of Minerva, only to be rebuffed once again by the Tongan government. Almost all of the land brought to the reefs has since been reclaimed by the Pacific Ocean.
See the article here:
- Minerva Reefs - Wikipedia - March 17th, 2020
- Minerva Reefs : Map (The Full Wiki) - March 17th, 2020
- South Minerva Reef SVWHISTLER - March 17th, 2020
- Fiji, Tonga war over Minerva Reef | Stuff.co.nz - March 17th, 2020
- North Minerva Reef | YIT - January 26th, 2020
- Minerva Reefs | Wiki | Everipedia - May 14th, 2019
- Minerva Reefs Travel guide at Wikivoyage - May 14th, 2019
- Minerva Reef Directions | Island Cruising NZ - April 20th, 2019
- Chesterfield Islands - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- Minerva Reefs - euvolution.com - April 16th, 2019
- Delights of Egypt Ultra-Deluxe Edition - Egypt Escapes ... - April 14th, 2019
- A list of Caribbean Shipwrecks | Pirate Shipwrecks ... - January 31st, 2019
- Minerva Reefs | Macronations Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 20th, 2018
- Lau Islands - Wikipedia - March 26th, 2018
- Minerva Reefs | Prometheism Transhumanism Post Humanism - March 25th, 2018
- Minerva | MicroWiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 18th, 2018
- nzmargarita | South Pacific cruise by catamaran - February 24th, 2018
- Minerva Reefs - Surfer's Path - January 31st, 2018
- Can China Be Taken Seriously on its 'Word' to Negotiate Disputed Territory? - The Diplomat - August 24th, 2017
- Andaman And Nicobar Islands - Blue Seas, Virgin Islands And Colonial Past - Andhrawishesh (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- No threat from 6.6 earthquake south of Tonga | Matangi Tonga - Matangi Tonga - February 24th, 2017
- Balvenie: Magical Moments at Minerva Reef.. November 2016 - December 8th, 2016