Computers are more powerful than ever. We are simulating complicated functions of the human mind and collecting and curating their output. Thousands of iterations created in minutes, novelty and ambiguity imbued into work whose core components are not directly from the human mind. Instead we are constructing and abstracting and handing over the keys of creativity to a fabrication of our mental facilities.
Sounds dystopian. But does the emergence of AI mean the end of creativity or a whole new pallet to play with?
All hail the Prometheans
Theres a new kid on the block whose process and output is intertwined with surprise, novelty, ambiguity, complexity and eccentricity. You wouldnt be wrong for mistaking it for magic, instead its the product of AI, and media creators are clambering over themselves to wield this new fire from the blue-chip Gods. Below are some Promethean heroes who are paving the way in creativity, leveraging this new tool to take their visions to new artistic heights.
Control. Shift. Face.
One content creator playing with the proverbial fire is someone who goes by the pseudonym Ctrl + Shift + Face. He is using Deep Fake - an AI GAN (generative adversarial network) that allows one to transpose one persons face onto another seamlessly, to create mind bending videos. His YouTube channel is getting attention from around the world for his incredible video editing work that superimposes other people's faces onto well-known celebrities. This deep-fake artist has done bizarre, but entirely believable, mashups of Sylvester Stallone in Terminator 2, Brad Pitt and Edward Norton in Fight Club.
You might not believe your own eyes when you see Bill Hader do an almost perfect impression of Tom Cruise.
Mario Klingemann is another pioneer, who works with code, AI and data. A German artist and Google Arts and Culture resident, he created one of the first pieces of AI artwork to be sold at auction.
Memories of Passersby creates a never-ending stream of unique and uncanny portraits. Utilising a GAN model and thousands of 17th to 19th century portraits as a base data set, it creates portraits in real time, never repeating and never tiring, yet contains no database of created works. The work consists of two screens, each using AI to generate a portrait every few seconds. Every image is unique and morphs seamlessly into its successor.
Senses and sensibilities
The Chinese App Zao is another formalisation of this computer vision software, allowing people to replace the main characters in films with themselves. The app works like this: by uploading one of your selfies to the app, it can place your face on top of celebrities like Leonardo DiCaprio, making it seem like you starred in the Titanic. The app essentially lets anyone create a deepfake, or a fake video that seems incredibly real.
Meanwhile, fraudsters have utilised the same principle to manipulate sound. It was recently reported that a voice-generating AI software was used to impersonate the boss of a German parent company that owns a UK-based energy firm. They then tricked the latters chief executive into urgently wiring said funds to a Hungarian supplier in an hour a first of its kind AI-based voice fraud, that cost the company $243,000.
Are you scared yet?
We as humans are the creators and wielders of all tools which are allowing us to manipulate the fabric of our own digital reality. With A.I. at our fingertips, it might be said that we are leaving the age of Homo Sapien and entering the age of Homo Deus.
Theres no denying there is creativity on show here, but is this the future we want? Well, whether you like it or not, its the future weve got. Weve opened the Pandoras box, reality will never be the same again and its down to us as stewards of technology to ensure that what we create is constructive, not destructive.
Miles Tincknell, developer at Halo.
Continue reading here:
- What to do in Toronto this week: February 24-March 1 - NOW Magazine - February 24th, 2020
- Behold, the Fine Art of the Lesbian Thirst Trap - NewNowNext - February 24th, 2020
- How beauty is being used to fight back against facial recognition and CCTV - Dazed - February 24th, 2020
- How To Get Millions To Watch Your Short Film On Third-Party Youtube Channels - Cartoon Brew - February 12th, 2020
- SA historian to help plan SU's 150th anniversary celebration - The Daily Orange - February 12th, 2020
- Riverdale Season 4 Episode 13 Review - Chapter 70: The Ides of March - Den of Geek US - February 12th, 2020
- Google Maps gets a makeover for its 15th birthday - SlashGear - February 12th, 2020
- JackSepticEye reveals how controversy has affected PewDiePie - Dexerto - February 12th, 2020
- 8 Ways to Drive More Calls & Better Call Quality with Paid Search - Search Engine Journal - January 31st, 2020
- What is Slack and how does it work? Plus plenty of Slack tips and tricks - Pocket-lint - January 31st, 2020
- 5 ways to be a bit safer this Data Privacy Day - Naked Security - January 31st, 2020
- Byte Proves That Vine Is Inherently Superior to TikTok - VICE - January 31st, 2020
- Catching up with SpecmenceCBJ, YouTubes foremost Columbus Blue Jackets archivist - The Cannon - January 31st, 2020
- Niladri Dutta: Enhancing Deep Learning Innovation With Knowledge-Based Decisioning - Analytics Insight - January 31st, 2020
- MLBTR Poll: How Good Are The Reds? - The Union Journal - January 30th, 2020
- Four Ways To Prepare Yourself For Real Estate Investing Success In 2020 - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper Just Popped A Monster Inflamed Cyst In The Ultimate Popaholic Challenge Youtube Video - Women's Health - January 5th, 2020
- Behind the scenes in the Getty photo archives with 'Unseen' - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- CES 2020 tips and tricks: Your guide to techs biggest trade show - VentureBeat - January 5th, 2020
- How William Gibson Keeps His Science Fiction Real - The New Yorker - December 18th, 2019
- PewDiePie Quits Twitter After Confirming YouTube Hiatus - We Got This Covered - December 18th, 2019
- Everipedia Gives Back to Children by Partnering with GIVE Nation - GlobeNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Heavy freight: Why drop-in pitches can't be moved interstate - Sydney Morning Herald - December 18th, 2019
- Amazfit GTR is the Best First Smartwatch for Watch lovers - International Business Times - December 18th, 2019
- Jigs and fixtures by Xometry - 3DPMN - December 18th, 2019
- Do We Have Minds of Our Own? - The New Yorker - December 11th, 2019
- What Are The Best Anonymous Bitcoin Casinos? - Coin Clarity - December 11th, 2019
- Heres What to See, Watch, and Stream This Thanksgiving - Vulture - November 27th, 2019
- Guide To Beautiful Gifts From Craftsmen, Artists, And US Entrepreneurs - The Federalist - November 27th, 2019
- Friends reunion special with cast 'in the works at HBO Max' - Metro.co.uk - November 13th, 2019
- What can I do if I hate my job? Here are 5 things - Ladders - November 13th, 2019
- "Hide the Pain Harold" describes what it is like to become a famous meme - Boing Boing - November 13th, 2019
- Is the International Marketplace Network the best way to expand? - Tamebay - November 13th, 2019
- Look Ahead: Curio Aggregates News Stories Before Converting the Articles Into Audio Files - Editor And Publisher Magazine - November 13th, 2019
- With a recalibrated vision WEA commits to further God's Kingdom - Evangelical Focus - November 13th, 2019
- YouTube enters the live-streaming fight (again) - The Verge - November 13th, 2019
- How to crop your photos for Facebook - The Android Soul - November 13th, 2019
- Will C-3PO die in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker? - Headlinez Pro - October 23rd, 2019
- The teens don't want to love TikTok - The Outline - October 23rd, 2019
- Sister Wives: Maddie Brush Loves Taking Pics Of Her Kids Is Her New Camera Any Good? - TV Shows Ace - October 23rd, 2019
- Megan Barton-Hanson shares shady post after 'splitting' from girlfriend Chelcee Grimes - Heat World - October 23rd, 2019
- The Power of TuneCore: Kevin Cornell Interview - DJBooth - October 23rd, 2019
- Technology exposed Syrian war crimes over and over. Was it for nothing? - MIT Technology Review - October 23rd, 2019
- Lost albums of the 2010s what became of the albums we were promised but that never arrived? - NME Live - October 23rd, 2019
- Greta Kline of Frankie Cosmos on slowing down (to a certain point) - Metro US - September 18th, 2019
- With a $70 Kit, This Startup Promises to Turn Anyone Into an Artist - Inc. - September 18th, 2019
- Scarlett Moffatt shares troll post and calls for people to be kinder - digitalspy.com - September 18th, 2019
- IGTV: What, Why and How You Should be Using it as a Marketing Tool - Business 2 Community - September 18th, 2019
- Steam's wonderful Library Update beta is finally live: Here's how to get it - PCWorld - September 18th, 2019
- Augmented Reality: Eight AR Marketing Applications For Brands In 2019 - Forbes - September 18th, 2019
- Love Islands Arabella Chi says I love you to new boyfriend Wes Nelson after just two months of dating - The Sun - September 18th, 2019
- Looking To Sell Smartphone? Here's What You Need to Know - Updato - September 18th, 2019
- Mind uploading - Wikipedia - April 25th, 2019
- Mind Uploading - April 25th, 2019
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - April 25th, 2019
- The virtual afterlife will transform humanity | Aeon Essays - March 20th, 2019
- Your mind will not be uploaded Soft Machines - March 20th, 2019
- Brain Uploading - TV Tropes - June 14th, 2018
- Mind uploading | Transhumanism Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - May 22nd, 2018
- Michael Graziano on The Evolution of Consciousness and ... - April 26th, 2018
- Neuroscientists devise scheme for mind-uploading centuries ... - March 16th, 2018
- New Brain Preservation Technique Could Be a Path to Mind ... - March 16th, 2018
- How to create your own wedding Snapchat filter - Omaha World-Herald - August 25th, 2017
- A song that speaks to you - The Hindu - August 22nd, 2017
- These 7 Forces Are Changing the World at an Extraordinary Rate - Singularity Hub - August 22nd, 2017
- Josh Peck Is Hotter Than a Peruvian Puff Pepper in His Latest Underwear Snap - Life & Style Weekly - August 22nd, 2017
- Blog: Eclipse.Today's The Day! - WAVY-TV (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- YouTube star Lisa's top tips to have you feeling all made up - Belfast Telegraph - August 21st, 2017
- Sam Claflin Slips Into Shailene Woodley's Bathing Suit In Fiji & We Have A Lot Of Questions - Hollywood Life - August 19th, 2017
- Film Review: Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars - Pats Pulpit - August 18th, 2017
- Ashes to Ashes, Dust to ... Interactive Biodegradable Funerary Urns? - WUWM - August 18th, 2017
- Get fit: Fitness gurus you can work out with for free on YouTube - Daily Commercial - August 15th, 2017
- Watch The Heart-Stopping Moment A Biker Cartwheeled In Front Of A Car - Car Throttle - August 15th, 2017
- Why 802.11ax is the next big thing in Wi-Fi - Network World - August 14th, 2017
- Hands on: Nest Cam Indoor and Outdoor home security cameras - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 13th, 2017
- How Maryland's political parties ramped up their ground games for 2018 - Washington Post - August 13th, 2017
- Carbon Black may be leaking terabytes of customer data (UPDATED) - Healthcare IT News - August 11th, 2017
- Mouni Roy's Version Of Baadshaho Song Rashke Qamar Will Blow Your Mind Away - India.com - August 11th, 2017
- Exclusive: In An RTI Response, Censor Board Says It Cannot Do ... - Huffington Post India - August 11th, 2017
- Internet service providers in Nigeria: which one is the fastest? - NAIJ.COM - August 10th, 2017