Lonely Planet has a new app for travel enthusiasts. Called Trips, the app uses an Instagram-like design populated with beautiful images of far away places.
Much like Lonely Planets website, the idea behind Trips is to offer travelers an easy way to share their experiences and discover new areas of the world this time on their smartphones.
However, Instagram already has a healthy amount of travel enthusiasts uploading photos of fantastic places for viewers to check out on a daily basis. National Geographic, a personal favorite, is one of the most popular on the platform, with a following of nearly 80 million. Lonely Planet, by comparison, has about 1.4 million followers on the platform.
Like Instagram, you can heart, share and follow profiles on Trips, as well. But Lonely Planets Daniel Houghton says the intention is not to compete with the social media giant, but to complement it.
Lonely Planet is an O.G. travel site and has its own loyal niche of travel enthusiasts. Perhaps an app focusing precisely on their passion will be well received.
Trips is Lonely Planets second app. The online destinations site launched its first app Guides last year, which provides tips and advice from on-the-ground experts. More than one million people have since downloaded Guides. Lonely Planet hopes Trips will be met with the same success.
So why not just roll Trips features into Guides and make one app? Houghton tells TechCrunchGuides is more of a tool, whereas Trips is geared for sharing content.
The app is pretty easy to use; just download, select profiles that suit your interest and scroll through the feed. From there you can pick from a number of the populated stories, many of which will come with maps, photos and some information on tours and things you might want to check out. I was personally checking out Rainbow Mountain in Peru posted about a day ago while scrolling through the app.
You also can hit the discover icon at the bottom of the app, to the right of the home icon, to search for categories like Adventure or Wildlife and Nature. From there it will lead you to a feed similar to the home feed but with certain trips in mind.
Its pretty easy to publish your own trips, as well. Like Instagram, you just hit the plus-sign icon at the bottom of the screen. The app will require access to your phone camera and then youll be able to add your photos. The app will automatically populate a map of the area and allow you to add content and more info about your trip from there.
The one thing I would say Trips lacks is a search tool. Its fine to scroll through the places the app provides in the feed, but its difficult to look up specific places you are thinking of visiting. If you are like me, youll want the ability to look up a place before planning your trip to see what others have to say about it and look at the photos they took.
For those interested in checking it out yourself, Tripsis now available for free oniOSand will be available on Android later this year.
Here is the original post:
- What to do in Toronto this week: February 24-March 1 - NOW Magazine - February 24th, 2020
- Behold, the Fine Art of the Lesbian Thirst Trap - NewNowNext - February 24th, 2020
- How beauty is being used to fight back against facial recognition and CCTV - Dazed - February 24th, 2020
- How To Get Millions To Watch Your Short Film On Third-Party Youtube Channels - Cartoon Brew - February 12th, 2020
- SA historian to help plan SU's 150th anniversary celebration - The Daily Orange - February 12th, 2020
- Riverdale Season 4 Episode 13 Review - Chapter 70: The Ides of March - Den of Geek US - February 12th, 2020
- Google Maps gets a makeover for its 15th birthday - SlashGear - February 12th, 2020
- JackSepticEye reveals how controversy has affected PewDiePie - Dexerto - February 12th, 2020
- 8 Ways to Drive More Calls & Better Call Quality with Paid Search - Search Engine Journal - January 31st, 2020
- What is Slack and how does it work? Plus plenty of Slack tips and tricks - Pocket-lint - January 31st, 2020
- 5 ways to be a bit safer this Data Privacy Day - Naked Security - January 31st, 2020
- Byte Proves That Vine Is Inherently Superior to TikTok - VICE - January 31st, 2020
- Catching up with SpecmenceCBJ, YouTubes foremost Columbus Blue Jackets archivist - The Cannon - January 31st, 2020
- Niladri Dutta: Enhancing Deep Learning Innovation With Knowledge-Based Decisioning - Analytics Insight - January 31st, 2020
- MLBTR Poll: How Good Are The Reds? - The Union Journal - January 30th, 2020
- Four Ways To Prepare Yourself For Real Estate Investing Success In 2020 - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper Just Popped A Monster Inflamed Cyst In The Ultimate Popaholic Challenge Youtube Video - Women's Health - January 5th, 2020
- Behind the scenes in the Getty photo archives with 'Unseen' - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- CES 2020 tips and tricks: Your guide to techs biggest trade show - VentureBeat - January 5th, 2020
- How William Gibson Keeps His Science Fiction Real - The New Yorker - December 18th, 2019
- PewDiePie Quits Twitter After Confirming YouTube Hiatus - We Got This Covered - December 18th, 2019
- Everipedia Gives Back to Children by Partnering with GIVE Nation - GlobeNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Heavy freight: Why drop-in pitches can't be moved interstate - Sydney Morning Herald - December 18th, 2019
- Amazfit GTR is the Best First Smartwatch for Watch lovers - International Business Times - December 18th, 2019
- Jigs and fixtures by Xometry - 3DPMN - December 18th, 2019
- Do We Have Minds of Our Own? - The New Yorker - December 11th, 2019
- What Are The Best Anonymous Bitcoin Casinos? - Coin Clarity - December 11th, 2019
- The 'artificial' eye of the artist - The Drum - November 27th, 2019
- Heres What to See, Watch, and Stream This Thanksgiving - Vulture - November 27th, 2019
- Guide To Beautiful Gifts From Craftsmen, Artists, And US Entrepreneurs - The Federalist - November 27th, 2019
- Friends reunion special with cast 'in the works at HBO Max' - Metro.co.uk - November 13th, 2019
- What can I do if I hate my job? Here are 5 things - Ladders - November 13th, 2019
- "Hide the Pain Harold" describes what it is like to become a famous meme - Boing Boing - November 13th, 2019
- Is the International Marketplace Network the best way to expand? - Tamebay - November 13th, 2019
- Look Ahead: Curio Aggregates News Stories Before Converting the Articles Into Audio Files - Editor And Publisher Magazine - November 13th, 2019
- With a recalibrated vision WEA commits to further God's Kingdom - Evangelical Focus - November 13th, 2019
- YouTube enters the live-streaming fight (again) - The Verge - November 13th, 2019
- How to crop your photos for Facebook - The Android Soul - November 13th, 2019
- Will C-3PO die in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker? - Headlinez Pro - October 23rd, 2019
- The teens don't want to love TikTok - The Outline - October 23rd, 2019
- Sister Wives: Maddie Brush Loves Taking Pics Of Her Kids Is Her New Camera Any Good? - TV Shows Ace - October 23rd, 2019
- Megan Barton-Hanson shares shady post after 'splitting' from girlfriend Chelcee Grimes - Heat World - October 23rd, 2019
- The Power of TuneCore: Kevin Cornell Interview - DJBooth - October 23rd, 2019
- Technology exposed Syrian war crimes over and over. Was it for nothing? - MIT Technology Review - October 23rd, 2019
- Lost albums of the 2010s what became of the albums we were promised but that never arrived? - NME Live - October 23rd, 2019
- Greta Kline of Frankie Cosmos on slowing down (to a certain point) - Metro US - September 18th, 2019
- With a $70 Kit, This Startup Promises to Turn Anyone Into an Artist - Inc. - September 18th, 2019
- Scarlett Moffatt shares troll post and calls for people to be kinder - digitalspy.com - September 18th, 2019
- IGTV: What, Why and How You Should be Using it as a Marketing Tool - Business 2 Community - September 18th, 2019
- Steam's wonderful Library Update beta is finally live: Here's how to get it - PCWorld - September 18th, 2019
- Augmented Reality: Eight AR Marketing Applications For Brands In 2019 - Forbes - September 18th, 2019
- Love Islands Arabella Chi says I love you to new boyfriend Wes Nelson after just two months of dating - The Sun - September 18th, 2019
- Looking To Sell Smartphone? Here's What You Need to Know - Updato - September 18th, 2019
- Mind uploading - Wikipedia - April 25th, 2019
- Mind Uploading - April 25th, 2019
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - April 25th, 2019
- The virtual afterlife will transform humanity | Aeon Essays - March 20th, 2019
- Your mind will not be uploaded Soft Machines - March 20th, 2019
- Brain Uploading - TV Tropes - June 14th, 2018
- Mind uploading | Transhumanism Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - May 22nd, 2018
- Michael Graziano on The Evolution of Consciousness and ... - April 26th, 2018
- Neuroscientists devise scheme for mind-uploading centuries ... - March 16th, 2018
- New Brain Preservation Technique Could Be a Path to Mind ... - March 16th, 2018
- How to create your own wedding Snapchat filter - Omaha World-Herald - August 25th, 2017
- A song that speaks to you - The Hindu - August 22nd, 2017
- These 7 Forces Are Changing the World at an Extraordinary Rate - Singularity Hub - August 22nd, 2017
- Josh Peck Is Hotter Than a Peruvian Puff Pepper in His Latest Underwear Snap - Life & Style Weekly - August 22nd, 2017
- Blog: Eclipse.Today's The Day! - WAVY-TV (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- YouTube star Lisa's top tips to have you feeling all made up - Belfast Telegraph - August 21st, 2017
- Sam Claflin Slips Into Shailene Woodley's Bathing Suit In Fiji & We Have A Lot Of Questions - Hollywood Life - August 19th, 2017
- Film Review: Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars - Pats Pulpit - August 18th, 2017
- Ashes to Ashes, Dust to ... Interactive Biodegradable Funerary Urns? - WUWM - August 18th, 2017
- Get fit: Fitness gurus you can work out with for free on YouTube - Daily Commercial - August 15th, 2017
- Watch The Heart-Stopping Moment A Biker Cartwheeled In Front Of A Car - Car Throttle - August 15th, 2017
- Why 802.11ax is the next big thing in Wi-Fi - Network World - August 14th, 2017
- Hands on: Nest Cam Indoor and Outdoor home security cameras - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 13th, 2017
- How Maryland's political parties ramped up their ground games for 2018 - Washington Post - August 13th, 2017
- Carbon Black may be leaking terabytes of customer data (UPDATED) - Healthcare IT News - August 11th, 2017
- Mouni Roy's Version Of Baadshaho Song Rashke Qamar Will Blow Your Mind Away - India.com - August 11th, 2017
- Exclusive: In An RTI Response, Censor Board Says It Cannot Do ... - Huffington Post India - August 11th, 2017