Last updated13:36, August 9 2017
The pictures you post on social media could offer clues into the state of your mental health, according to new research.
Just short of 44,000Instagramimages were examined in a study of 166 people, who were also asked questions about their history of mental health.
Filters, if used at all, prevalence of coloursand how many comments and likes each post received were examined.
Those who had depression typically posted images with darker hues and had fewer faces in their posts. They were also less likely to use filters when editing and uploading photos.
What you're sharing - or not sharing - on Instagram can offer insight into your mental health state.
READ MORE: *How to useInstagramand Snapchat on a computer *Instagramis the worst social network for young people's mental health *How much cash could you make with yourInstagram?
"When depressed participants did employ filters, they most disproportionately favoured the 'Inkwell' filter, which converts colour photographs to black-and-white images," the authors wrote in the paper published in the journal EPJ Data Science.
Healthy participants favoured the Valencia filter, which lightens the photo.
Images with the Valencia filter are likely to be used by those with sound mental health.
For people with depression,theirworld-view is often darker, they added, which could explain the photo filters they tended to choose. Those with a more positive frame of mind posted more frequently.
The researchers were eventually able to create an algorithm that could determine whether or not an Instagramuser would have depression. It had a 70 per cent success rate.
The algorithm studied people with similar qualities, like the fact theywere active on social media and willing to submit information on their mental health, making it difficult to know if it could be applied to the average user.
Images with darker hues are more likely to be shared by those suffering depression.
Study author and University of VermontComputational Story Lab co-director Chris Danforth told The Huffington Post:"It shows some promise to the idea that you might be able to build a tool like this to get individuals help sooner".
"The end goal of this would be creating something that monitors a person's voice, how they're moving around and what their social network looks like all the stuff we already reveal to our phones," he said.
"Then that could give doctors a ping to check in or at least some insight. Because maybe there's something going on that even the individual doesn't recognise about their behaviour."
Where to get help:
Lifeline (open 24/7) 0800 543 354
Depression Helpline (open 24/7) 0800 111 757
Kidsline (open 24/7) 0800 543 754. This service is for children aged 5 to 18. Those who ring between 4pm and 9pm on weekdays will speak to a Kidsline buddy. These are specially trained teenage telephone counsellors.
The rest is here:
- Four Ways To Prepare Yourself For Real Estate Investing Success In 2020 - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper Just Popped A Monster Inflamed Cyst In The Ultimate Popaholic Challenge Youtube Video - Women's Health - January 5th, 2020
- Behind the scenes in the Getty photo archives with 'Unseen' - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- CES 2020 tips and tricks: Your guide to techs biggest trade show - VentureBeat - January 5th, 2020
- How William Gibson Keeps His Science Fiction Real - The New Yorker - December 18th, 2019
- PewDiePie Quits Twitter After Confirming YouTube Hiatus - We Got This Covered - December 18th, 2019
- Everipedia Gives Back to Children by Partnering with GIVE Nation - GlobeNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Heavy freight: Why drop-in pitches can't be moved interstate - Sydney Morning Herald - December 18th, 2019
- Amazfit GTR is the Best First Smartwatch for Watch lovers - International Business Times - December 18th, 2019
- Jigs and fixtures by Xometry - 3DPMN - December 18th, 2019
- Do We Have Minds of Our Own? - The New Yorker - December 11th, 2019
- What Are The Best Anonymous Bitcoin Casinos? - Coin Clarity - December 11th, 2019
- The 'artificial' eye of the artist - The Drum - November 27th, 2019
- Heres What to See, Watch, and Stream This Thanksgiving - Vulture - November 27th, 2019
- Guide To Beautiful Gifts From Craftsmen, Artists, And US Entrepreneurs - The Federalist - November 27th, 2019
- Friends reunion special with cast 'in the works at HBO Max' - Metro.co.uk - November 13th, 2019
- What can I do if I hate my job? Here are 5 things - Ladders - November 13th, 2019
- "Hide the Pain Harold" describes what it is like to become a famous meme - Boing Boing - November 13th, 2019
- Is the International Marketplace Network the best way to expand? - Tamebay - November 13th, 2019
- Look Ahead: Curio Aggregates News Stories Before Converting the Articles Into Audio Files - Editor And Publisher Magazine - November 13th, 2019
- With a recalibrated vision WEA commits to further God's Kingdom - Evangelical Focus - November 13th, 2019
- YouTube enters the live-streaming fight (again) - The Verge - November 13th, 2019
- How to crop your photos for Facebook - The Android Soul - November 13th, 2019
- Will C-3PO die in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker? - Headlinez Pro - October 23rd, 2019
- The teens don't want to love TikTok - The Outline - October 23rd, 2019
- Sister Wives: Maddie Brush Loves Taking Pics Of Her Kids Is Her New Camera Any Good? - TV Shows Ace - October 23rd, 2019
- Megan Barton-Hanson shares shady post after 'splitting' from girlfriend Chelcee Grimes - Heat World - October 23rd, 2019
- The Power of TuneCore: Kevin Cornell Interview - DJBooth - October 23rd, 2019
- Technology exposed Syrian war crimes over and over. Was it for nothing? - MIT Technology Review - October 23rd, 2019
- Lost albums of the 2010s what became of the albums we were promised but that never arrived? - NME Live - October 23rd, 2019
- Greta Kline of Frankie Cosmos on slowing down (to a certain point) - Metro US - September 18th, 2019
- With a $70 Kit, This Startup Promises to Turn Anyone Into an Artist - Inc. - September 18th, 2019
- Scarlett Moffatt shares troll post and calls for people to be kinder - digitalspy.com - September 18th, 2019
- IGTV: What, Why and How You Should be Using it as a Marketing Tool - Business 2 Community - September 18th, 2019
- Steam's wonderful Library Update beta is finally live: Here's how to get it - PCWorld - September 18th, 2019
- Augmented Reality: Eight AR Marketing Applications For Brands In 2019 - Forbes - September 18th, 2019
- Love Islands Arabella Chi says I love you to new boyfriend Wes Nelson after just two months of dating - The Sun - September 18th, 2019
- Looking To Sell Smartphone? Here's What You Need to Know - Updato - September 18th, 2019
- Mind uploading - Wikipedia - April 25th, 2019
- Mind Uploading - April 25th, 2019
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - April 25th, 2019
- The virtual afterlife will transform humanity | Aeon Essays - March 20th, 2019
- Your mind will not be uploaded Soft Machines - March 20th, 2019
- Brain Uploading - TV Tropes - June 14th, 2018
- Mind uploading | Transhumanism Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - May 22nd, 2018
- Michael Graziano on The Evolution of Consciousness and ... - April 26th, 2018
- Neuroscientists devise scheme for mind-uploading centuries ... - March 16th, 2018
- New Brain Preservation Technique Could Be a Path to Mind ... - March 16th, 2018
- How to create your own wedding Snapchat filter - Omaha World-Herald - August 25th, 2017
- A song that speaks to you - The Hindu - August 22nd, 2017
- These 7 Forces Are Changing the World at an Extraordinary Rate - Singularity Hub - August 22nd, 2017
- Josh Peck Is Hotter Than a Peruvian Puff Pepper in His Latest Underwear Snap - Life & Style Weekly - August 22nd, 2017
- Blog: Eclipse.Today's The Day! - WAVY-TV (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- YouTube star Lisa's top tips to have you feeling all made up - Belfast Telegraph - August 21st, 2017
- Sam Claflin Slips Into Shailene Woodley's Bathing Suit In Fiji & We Have A Lot Of Questions - Hollywood Life - August 19th, 2017
- Film Review: Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars - Pats Pulpit - August 18th, 2017
- Ashes to Ashes, Dust to ... Interactive Biodegradable Funerary Urns? - WUWM - August 18th, 2017
- Get fit: Fitness gurus you can work out with for free on YouTube - Daily Commercial - August 15th, 2017
- Watch The Heart-Stopping Moment A Biker Cartwheeled In Front Of A Car - Car Throttle - August 15th, 2017
- Why 802.11ax is the next big thing in Wi-Fi - Network World - August 14th, 2017
- Hands on: Nest Cam Indoor and Outdoor home security cameras - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 13th, 2017
- How Maryland's political parties ramped up their ground games for 2018 - Washington Post - August 13th, 2017
- Carbon Black may be leaking terabytes of customer data (UPDATED) - Healthcare IT News - August 11th, 2017
- Mouni Roy's Version Of Baadshaho Song Rashke Qamar Will Blow Your Mind Away - India.com - August 11th, 2017
- Exclusive: In An RTI Response, Censor Board Says It Cannot Do ... - Huffington Post India - August 11th, 2017
- Internet service providers in Nigeria: which one is the fastest? - NAIJ.COM - August 10th, 2017
- Lonely Planet launches an Instagram-like Trips app - TechCrunch - August 9th, 2017
- Our brains as hard drives could we delete, modify or add memories and skills? - Genetic Literacy Project - August 9th, 2017
- Q&A With Joey Graceffa: YouTube Showman, Dystopian Novelist, Nail Polish Thought-Leader - Variety - August 9th, 2017
- InsurTech Futures: App designed to notify brokers of motor accidents - Insurance Age - August 9th, 2017
- Hilary Duff's bathing suit picture was all over our Facebook this weekend & here's why - Glamour.com - August 7th, 2017
- Haryana stalking case: Woman, her father take to Facebook to share experience; family of accused shames victim - Firstpost - August 7th, 2017
- Creating Consciousness: Artists, AI and Playing with Fire - Crixeo (press release) (blog) - August 7th, 2017
- WannaCry Ransomware 'Hero' Arrested in Las Vegas on Hacking Charges - Casino.Org News - August 5th, 2017
- The Music Industry Panel at Summer in the City 2017 - TenEighty - August 5th, 2017
- Justin Bieber Proves It's Not Too Late To Say Sorry For Cancelling His Tour & Being A Prick In Past Relationships - moviepilot.com - August 4th, 2017
- Give These 3 Social Media Contests a Try to Boost Sales - Small Business Trends - August 4th, 2017
- Four You - The Worst Suplex You've Ever Cena - WAAF.com (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Person to Person Is an Indie Comedy for Music Nerds Like You - Pitchfork - August 2nd, 2017
- How good is the Nokia 5? - Mazuma Mobile (blog) - August 2nd, 2017