Last updated13:36, August 9 2017
The pictures you post on social media could offer clues into the state of your mental health, according to new research.
Just short of 44,000Instagramimages were examined in a study of 166 people, who were also asked questions about their history of mental health.
Filters, if used at all, prevalence of coloursand how many comments and likes each post received were examined.
Those who had depression typically posted images with darker hues and had fewer faces in their posts. They were also less likely to use filters when editing and uploading photos.
What you're sharing - or not sharing - on Instagram can offer insight into your mental health state.
READ MORE: *How to useInstagramand Snapchat on a computer *Instagramis the worst social network for young people's mental health *How much cash could you make with yourInstagram?
"When depressed participants did employ filters, they most disproportionately favoured the 'Inkwell' filter, which converts colour photographs to black-and-white images," the authors wrote in the paper published in the journal EPJ Data Science.
Healthy participants favoured the Valencia filter, which lightens the photo.
Images with the Valencia filter are likely to be used by those with sound mental health.
For people with depression,theirworld-view is often darker, they added, which could explain the photo filters they tended to choose. Those with a more positive frame of mind posted more frequently.
The researchers were eventually able to create an algorithm that could determine whether or not an Instagramuser would have depression. It had a 70 per cent success rate.
The algorithm studied people with similar qualities, like the fact theywere active on social media and willing to submit information on their mental health, making it difficult to know if it could be applied to the average user.
Images with darker hues are more likely to be shared by those suffering depression.
Study author and University of VermontComputational Story Lab co-director Chris Danforth told The Huffington Post:"It shows some promise to the idea that you might be able to build a tool like this to get individuals help sooner".
"The end goal of this would be creating something that monitors a person's voice, how they're moving around and what their social network looks like all the stuff we already reveal to our phones," he said.
"Then that could give doctors a ping to check in or at least some insight. Because maybe there's something going on that even the individual doesn't recognise about their behaviour."
Where to get help:
Lifeline (open 24/7) 0800 543 354
Depression Helpline (open 24/7) 0800 111 757
Kidsline (open 24/7) 0800 543 754. This service is for children aged 5 to 18. Those who ring between 4pm and 9pm on weekdays will speak to a Kidsline buddy. These are specially trained teenage telephone counsellors.
The rest is here:
- Why banks are putting PPP forgiveness on the back burner - American Banker - August 10th, 2020
- Making A List And Checking It Twice - KRWG - August 10th, 2020
- Jadavpur University says it will do something to reach out to students with no smartphone - Hindustan Times - August 10th, 2020
- The Addictive Joy of Watching Someone Listen to Phil Collins - The New Yorker - August 10th, 2020
- The Best of Both Worlds Why a Hybrid Cloud Approach Makes Sense for Data Backup and Recovery - Datanami - August 10th, 2020
- Faith Hill Praises Daughter for First-Time Voting in Tennessee Primary - PopCulture.com - August 10th, 2020
- List of 11 most popular, top websites Startup Listings in India - The Indian Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Jadavpur University to reach out to students with no smartphones as it gears up for new semester - Times Now - August 10th, 2020
- These are the twins whose response films have captured the online - The Press Stories - August 10th, 2020
- The Quest For Liberty And Dignity: Against Judicial Insensitivity To A Womans Autonomy - Feminism in India - August 10th, 2020
- Garmin outage: what's next for Garmin Connect after the ransomware attack? - T3 (US) - August 10th, 2020
- Top 10 Money Making Apps To Use In India For Additional Income - Inventiva - August 8th, 2020
- GILLIAN PHILIP informs just how she was TERMINATED by her author after backing J.K. Rowling - D1SoftballNews.com - August 8th, 2020
- Mind uploading - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Mind Uploading - August 8th, 2020
- Mind uploading | Transhumanism Wiki | Fandom - August 8th, 2020
- Mind uploading - RationalWiki - August 8th, 2020
- SpaceX Wins FCC Approval To Test Starlink Ground Stations In 6 States - Wccftech - August 6th, 2020
- The Sims 4 PC tips and tricks to improve your builds without mods - VG247 - August 3rd, 2020
- Playing press and paying respect - The Selma TimesJournal - Selma Times-Journal - August 3rd, 2020
- Fighting COVID-19 with surveillance: Perspectives from across the globe - Atlantic Council - August 3rd, 2020
- How to change your name on PayPal, add a nickname, or correct typos in your current name - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 3rd, 2020
- How L.A.'s Mariachis Are Keeping the Music Alive and How You Can Help - KCET - August 3rd, 2020
- 10 Gaming Stocks That Will Power Through the New Normal - InvestorPlace - August 3rd, 2020
- Delhi HC hears plea by DU students on open book examinations for final-year students in the PwD category [LIVE UPDATES] - Bar & Bench - Indian... - August 3rd, 2020
- Garmin outage: what's next for Garmin Connect after the ransomware attack? - T3 - August 3rd, 2020
- How Much YouTube Paid Me For a Video With Over One Million Views - Inc. - August 2nd, 2020
- The Kid LAROI is already a big deal. But the best is yet to come - ABC News - August 2nd, 2020
- Blogger sued by TV channel and editor over 'baseless allegations' - Deccan Herald - July 30th, 2020
- From Felix Arvid to PewDiePie: Is He Going to Leave Youtube for Good? - Tech Times - July 30th, 2020
- Lydia Jazmine not wallowing in lockdown blues - The Observer - July 30th, 2020
- Meet the jet-setting carfluencers raking in millions by posing with Ferraris and driving supercars on Ins - The Irish Sun - July 30th, 2020
- Over 2 lakh students apply for arts, science colleges in Tamil Nadu within days - The News Minute - July 30th, 2020
- Mind Uploading - Ascension Glossary - July 30th, 2020
- Whats royalty got to do with folk music? The amazing story of Cecil Sharp House - The Independent - July 30th, 2020
- Pressure to prove production - Telangana Today - July 30th, 2020
- Garmin outage: Garmin Connect is recovering, so did Garmin pay a ransom? - T3 (US) - July 30th, 2020
- Qatar- QIB announces new features to its award-winning Mobile App - MENAFN.COM - July 30th, 2020
- Immerse yourself in The 1975s new online exhibit for Notes On A Conditional Form - NME.com - July 29th, 2020
- Quick Start guide to OneDrive in Microsoft 365 - OnMSFT - July 29th, 2020
- "Keeper Of Legends": Highway Plan Changed To Save 400-Year-Old Tree - NDTV - July 29th, 2020
- This quantumly generated app Randonautica is a reality game thats terrifying its players - NME.com - July 29th, 2020
- Lockdown helped this Managing Partner to brainstorm and find new opportunities for Marching Sheep - Economic Times - July 28th, 2020
- Otterly indispensable: How Otter.ai has transformed transcription - Verdict - July 28th, 2020
- QIB announces new features to its award-winning Mobile App - The Peninsula Qatar - July 28th, 2020
- 'For a lot of these TikTok hits, the artists could be an avatar it wouldn't matter.' - Music Business Worldwide - July 28th, 2020
- Solving common cross-platform issues when working with flutter - WhaTech - July 28th, 2020
- This quantumly generated app Randonautica is a reality game thats terrifying its players - NME - July 28th, 2020
- Little Peoples Tori and Zach Roloff celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary at luxury Oregon resort w - The Sun - July 26th, 2020
- Everything One Needs to Know About WordPress Development - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 26th, 2020
- The never-ending story - Research Information - July 26th, 2020
- IAmSophie: The Most Hated Woman on the Internet - 25YearsLaterSite.com - July 26th, 2020
- What's Coming To Disney+ In August (Australia/New Zealand) - What's On Disney Plus - July 26th, 2020
- Immerse yourself in The 1975s new online exhibit for Notes On A Conditional Form - NME - July 25th, 2020
- The beauty of bedroom pop - Cherwell Online - July 21st, 2020
- NBA Bubble life videos: Lakers' JaVale McGee and Sixers' Matisse Thybulle release inside videos of the... - The Sportsrush - July 21st, 2020
- Trolls And Patriarchy Are More Linked Than You Think - Femina - July 21st, 2020
- With 'Another Idea,' Gray Center steps into virtual programming during the pandemic - Hyde Park Herald - July 20th, 2020
- Ihsahn teases new music and hints it's coming later this week - Louder - July 20th, 2020
- I used the consumer features in Microsoft Teams for one week, and it's better than you'd think - OnMSFT - July 20th, 2020
- Watch The Old Guard, Then Watch These Movies - Film School Rejects - July 19th, 2020
- Reality Check: What Will It Take to Reopen Schools Amid the Pandemic? 8 Experts Weigh In on What Parts of Remote Learning and In-Person Teaching We... - July 19th, 2020
- Could GE2020 result in the downfall of influencer Xiaxue? - The Independent - July 19th, 2020
- Editorial: Getting historical on YouTube - News - The Review - The-review - July 12th, 2020
- ISI admission test 2020 postponed again - Times of India - July 12th, 2020
- H.266 is coming and your video files will be half the size they are with H.265/HEVC - DIYphotography - July 12th, 2020
- This Brand Is Turning Art Exhibition Posters into Graphic Tees - Gear Patrol - July 12th, 2020
- August Alsina shares cryptic message after Jada Pinkett Smith confirms romance during split from husband Will - The Sun - July 12th, 2020
- The rise of Thirst Trap culture among Gen Z Indian women - ETtech.com - July 12th, 2020
- With No End in Sight to the Coronavirus, Some Teachers Are Retiring Rather Than Going Back to School - TIME - July 12th, 2020
- Moyra Davey and Kate Zambreno on Writing As If You Were Dead - frieze.com - July 12th, 2020
- What Makes A YouTube Video Hit The Trending Tab? This Data Scientist Broke Down Every Single Video That Trended In 2019. - Tubefilter - July 12th, 2020
- People In Melb's Locked Towers Are Sharing Their Situation On TikTok - Pedestrian TV - July 10th, 2020
- Employer Use of Contact Tracing Apps: The Good, the Bad, and the Regulatory - JD Supra - July 10th, 2020
- Exclusive: Lachy Wiggle and James Harkness Dish On The Wiggles World - Moms - July 10th, 2020
- Photos of runaway couple a distraction: High Court - The Tribune India - June 21st, 2020
- Effectiveness of RCMP body cameras will depend on clear goals, policies, say experts - Nunatsiaq News - June 21st, 2020
- From paying tribute to speaking her mind, here is what Kangana Ranaut was upto this week - Republic World - Republic World - June 21st, 2020
- Talks alone will resolve LAC stand-off: MEA - The Tribune India - June 9th, 2020
- Visions for the Next School Year - Education Week - June 9th, 2020