Football is back! The first preseason game of the year ended in defeat for the Patriots, but more important than the score of the game is how individual players looked. With the debate surrounding the Patriots backup quarterback situation this off-season, how Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett perform this preseason could influence the plans for the position moving forward. With this in mind, I asked Patriots fans to decide which of the backups they wanted to see a film breakdown of. 60% of voters decided on Jimmy Garoppolo, so here we (after a slight NFL Gamepass-related delay) go.
With Tom Brady getting the night off, Jimmy Garoppolo was tabbed as the starter for the first preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Garoppolo put up impressive numbers, completing 22 of 28 attempts for 235 yards and two touchdowns. While the media provided effusive praise, Garoppolos performance doesnt quite live up the numbers. Lets take a closer look.
The biggest takeaway from the fourth year quarterbacks performance is that he showed an impressive feel for the pocket and where pressure was coming from.
The Jaguars get immediate pressure up the middle, and Garoppolo sees it and rolls away from the pressure as soon as he sees it. This isnt always the right thing to do, but in this situation Garoppolo had no other choice. He keeps his eyes downfield and finds his man to pick up a first down from third and long.
The touchdown everyone has seen by now is another good example of his pocket management. Dante Fowler gets inside leverage on LaAdrian Waddle (not a good look for Waddles roster hopes) and forces Jimmy to bail from the pocket. An argument could be made he shouldve stepped up with Jamil Douglas helping out on Fowler, but Fowler wouldve had an opportunity to get a hand on Jimmy if he did. Garoppolo resets his feet and looks downfield, making the throw for the touchdown to Austin Carr.
This wasnt a perfect playfading and throwing off his back foot is a recipe for disaster, and the throw wasnt particularly accuratebut when you evade pressure the way he did, and the result is a touchdown, those can be forgiven.
Beyond his pocket movement, Garoppolo flashed the ability (if inconsistently, more on that later) to make some impressive throws into tight windows.
Crowded pocket, hands jumping in his face, tight window, third and long, money throw. High enough the underneath LBs cant reach, behind his TEs ear so the safety cant come in and break it up, in a place that only his receiver can go get it, and Jacob Hollister did just that. First down.
30 yards down the field, 25 yards across the field. Find the length of the hypotenuse. Nearly 40 air-yard throw to the sideline, he may have been a little late getting to the target, but delivers a strike for a big first down on a deep comeback.
Lastly, probably my favorite throw he made on the night. Get to the top of your drop, set, back-shoulder throw the CB cant do anything about in 1-on-1 coverage, easy first down on a throw thats more difficult than it looks.
Garoppolo made some atrocious throws in this game, speaking to the inconsistency mentioned in the above section. He started the game off very slowly, which can be argued as just shaking off some rust and getting into a rhythm, or as struggling against the Jaguars starters and picking on the backups.
Garoppolo has a chance to put his team in the red zone, and correctly attempts to make a back-shoulder throw with a safety closing over the top and the defender step for step on Devin Luciens inside shoulder. Garoppolo cant even give Lucien a chance to make the play, however, as he leads him out of bounds.
The pocket movement here deserves to be in the Good section, but the throw lands it here. After a pump fake and stepping up in the pocket to evade the initial pressure, Jimmy finds his tight end wide open and completely misses him.
This couldve been 6. This shouldve been a big play. This was almost an interception. Garoppolo is late getting the ball out and not only underthrows his man, but leads him so far inside the ball almost landed in the safetys (who started about 10 yards to the right of the play) hip pocket.
I mean...come on. Yes, Dion Lewis managed to get a hand on it. Working from a completely clean pocket with a receiver more than 3 yards clear of any defender and facing directly at you, only ~9 yards away, there is no excuse for that ball to land anywhere other than his numbers.
Finally, a completed pass, but this is how you get your receivers killed. Open window to throw in and Garoppolo leads Hollister too far. Hollister makes a great play on the ball, and then pays the price for doing so, getting hit in the head twice immediately after catching the pass. (*Note: There was an issue uploading this gif, I had to use a different site to do so. It needs to be clicked on or hovered over to play, it will not autoplay like the others)
The Patriots did not ask Jimmy Garoppolo to do a whole lot. Most of his completions came on screens and dump-offs. He made some impressive throws but for every good one he had, he cancelled it out with an equally bad one. He heated up as the game went on, but as already mentioned, its tough to tell whether to attribute that to Garoppolo settling in, or him finding success against the Jaguars backups (Jacksonville played most of their defensive starters in the game).
Ultimately, my biggest takeaway was Garoppolos pocket movement. He was under pressure quite frequently in this game and generally knew when to step up and maneuver in the pocket and when to bail and try to extend the play with his legs. This was the one area of his game I came away from pre-season week 1 truly impressed with. This game provided us with more of the same from Garoppolo: Enough flashes to provide hope for the future, enough downside to question if hes actually a part of it.
- Four Ways To Prepare Yourself For Real Estate Investing Success In 2020 - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper Just Popped A Monster Inflamed Cyst In The Ultimate Popaholic Challenge Youtube Video - Women's Health - January 5th, 2020
- Behind the scenes in the Getty photo archives with 'Unseen' - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- CES 2020 tips and tricks: Your guide to techs biggest trade show - VentureBeat - January 5th, 2020
- How William Gibson Keeps His Science Fiction Real - The New Yorker - December 18th, 2019
- PewDiePie Quits Twitter After Confirming YouTube Hiatus - We Got This Covered - December 18th, 2019
- Everipedia Gives Back to Children by Partnering with GIVE Nation - GlobeNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Heavy freight: Why drop-in pitches can't be moved interstate - Sydney Morning Herald - December 18th, 2019
- Amazfit GTR is the Best First Smartwatch for Watch lovers - International Business Times - December 18th, 2019
- Jigs and fixtures by Xometry - 3DPMN - December 18th, 2019
- Do We Have Minds of Our Own? - The New Yorker - December 11th, 2019
- What Are The Best Anonymous Bitcoin Casinos? - Coin Clarity - December 11th, 2019
- The 'artificial' eye of the artist - The Drum - November 27th, 2019
- Heres What to See, Watch, and Stream This Thanksgiving - Vulture - November 27th, 2019
- Guide To Beautiful Gifts From Craftsmen, Artists, And US Entrepreneurs - The Federalist - November 27th, 2019
- Friends reunion special with cast 'in the works at HBO Max' - Metro.co.uk - November 13th, 2019
- What can I do if I hate my job? Here are 5 things - Ladders - November 13th, 2019
- "Hide the Pain Harold" describes what it is like to become a famous meme - Boing Boing - November 13th, 2019
- Is the International Marketplace Network the best way to expand? - Tamebay - November 13th, 2019
- Look Ahead: Curio Aggregates News Stories Before Converting the Articles Into Audio Files - Editor And Publisher Magazine - November 13th, 2019
- With a recalibrated vision WEA commits to further God's Kingdom - Evangelical Focus - November 13th, 2019
- YouTube enters the live-streaming fight (again) - The Verge - November 13th, 2019
- How to crop your photos for Facebook - The Android Soul - November 13th, 2019
- Will C-3PO die in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker? - Headlinez Pro - October 23rd, 2019
- The teens don't want to love TikTok - The Outline - October 23rd, 2019
- Sister Wives: Maddie Brush Loves Taking Pics Of Her Kids Is Her New Camera Any Good? - TV Shows Ace - October 23rd, 2019
- Megan Barton-Hanson shares shady post after 'splitting' from girlfriend Chelcee Grimes - Heat World - October 23rd, 2019
- The Power of TuneCore: Kevin Cornell Interview - DJBooth - October 23rd, 2019
- Technology exposed Syrian war crimes over and over. Was it for nothing? - MIT Technology Review - October 23rd, 2019
- Lost albums of the 2010s what became of the albums we were promised but that never arrived? - NME Live - October 23rd, 2019
- Greta Kline of Frankie Cosmos on slowing down (to a certain point) - Metro US - September 18th, 2019
- With a $70 Kit, This Startup Promises to Turn Anyone Into an Artist - Inc. - September 18th, 2019
- Scarlett Moffatt shares troll post and calls for people to be kinder - digitalspy.com - September 18th, 2019
- IGTV: What, Why and How You Should be Using it as a Marketing Tool - Business 2 Community - September 18th, 2019
- Steam's wonderful Library Update beta is finally live: Here's how to get it - PCWorld - September 18th, 2019
- Augmented Reality: Eight AR Marketing Applications For Brands In 2019 - Forbes - September 18th, 2019
- Love Islands Arabella Chi says I love you to new boyfriend Wes Nelson after just two months of dating - The Sun - September 18th, 2019
- Looking To Sell Smartphone? Here's What You Need to Know - Updato - September 18th, 2019
- Mind uploading - Wikipedia - April 25th, 2019
- Mind Uploading - April 25th, 2019
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - April 25th, 2019
- The virtual afterlife will transform humanity | Aeon Essays - March 20th, 2019
- Your mind will not be uploaded Soft Machines - March 20th, 2019
- Brain Uploading - TV Tropes - June 14th, 2018
- Mind uploading | Transhumanism Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - May 22nd, 2018
- Michael Graziano on The Evolution of Consciousness and ... - April 26th, 2018
- Neuroscientists devise scheme for mind-uploading centuries ... - March 16th, 2018
- New Brain Preservation Technique Could Be a Path to Mind ... - March 16th, 2018
- How to create your own wedding Snapchat filter - Omaha World-Herald - August 25th, 2017
- A song that speaks to you - The Hindu - August 22nd, 2017
- These 7 Forces Are Changing the World at an Extraordinary Rate - Singularity Hub - August 22nd, 2017
- Josh Peck Is Hotter Than a Peruvian Puff Pepper in His Latest Underwear Snap - Life & Style Weekly - August 22nd, 2017
- Blog: Eclipse.Today's The Day! - WAVY-TV (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- YouTube star Lisa's top tips to have you feeling all made up - Belfast Telegraph - August 21st, 2017
- Sam Claflin Slips Into Shailene Woodley's Bathing Suit In Fiji & We Have A Lot Of Questions - Hollywood Life - August 19th, 2017
- Ashes to Ashes, Dust to ... Interactive Biodegradable Funerary Urns? - WUWM - August 18th, 2017
- Get fit: Fitness gurus you can work out with for free on YouTube - Daily Commercial - August 15th, 2017
- Watch The Heart-Stopping Moment A Biker Cartwheeled In Front Of A Car - Car Throttle - August 15th, 2017
- Why 802.11ax is the next big thing in Wi-Fi - Network World - August 14th, 2017
- Hands on: Nest Cam Indoor and Outdoor home security cameras - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 13th, 2017
- How Maryland's political parties ramped up their ground games for 2018 - Washington Post - August 13th, 2017
- Carbon Black may be leaking terabytes of customer data (UPDATED) - Healthcare IT News - August 11th, 2017
- Mouni Roy's Version Of Baadshaho Song Rashke Qamar Will Blow Your Mind Away - India.com - August 11th, 2017
- Exclusive: In An RTI Response, Censor Board Says It Cannot Do ... - Huffington Post India - August 11th, 2017
- Internet service providers in Nigeria: which one is the fastest? - NAIJ.COM - August 10th, 2017
- Lonely Planet launches an Instagram-like Trips app - TechCrunch - August 9th, 2017
- How Instagram posts reveal whether you have depression: study - Stuff.co.nz - August 9th, 2017
- Our brains as hard drives could we delete, modify or add memories and skills? - Genetic Literacy Project - August 9th, 2017
- Q&A With Joey Graceffa: YouTube Showman, Dystopian Novelist, Nail Polish Thought-Leader - Variety - August 9th, 2017
- InsurTech Futures: App designed to notify brokers of motor accidents - Insurance Age - August 9th, 2017
- Hilary Duff's bathing suit picture was all over our Facebook this weekend & here's why - Glamour.com - August 7th, 2017
- Haryana stalking case: Woman, her father take to Facebook to share experience; family of accused shames victim - Firstpost - August 7th, 2017
- Creating Consciousness: Artists, AI and Playing with Fire - Crixeo (press release) (blog) - August 7th, 2017
- WannaCry Ransomware 'Hero' Arrested in Las Vegas on Hacking Charges - Casino.Org News - August 5th, 2017
- The Music Industry Panel at Summer in the City 2017 - TenEighty - August 5th, 2017
- Justin Bieber Proves It's Not Too Late To Say Sorry For Cancelling His Tour & Being A Prick In Past Relationships - moviepilot.com - August 4th, 2017
- Give These 3 Social Media Contests a Try to Boost Sales - Small Business Trends - August 4th, 2017
- Four You - The Worst Suplex You've Ever Cena - WAAF.com (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- Person to Person Is an Indie Comedy for Music Nerds Like You - Pitchfork - August 2nd, 2017
- How good is the Nokia 5? - Mazuma Mobile (blog) - August 2nd, 2017