Football is back! The first preseason game of the year ended in defeat for the Patriots, but more important than the score of the game is how individual players looked. With the debate surrounding the Patriots backup quarterback situation this off-season, how Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett perform this preseason could influence the plans for the position moving forward. With this in mind, I asked Patriots fans to decide which of the backups they wanted to see a film breakdown of. 60% of voters decided on Jimmy Garoppolo, so here we (after a slight NFL Gamepass-related delay) go.
With Tom Brady getting the night off, Jimmy Garoppolo was tabbed as the starter for the first preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Garoppolo put up impressive numbers, completing 22 of 28 attempts for 235 yards and two touchdowns. While the media provided effusive praise, Garoppolos performance doesnt quite live up the numbers. Lets take a closer look.
The biggest takeaway from the fourth year quarterbacks performance is that he showed an impressive feel for the pocket and where pressure was coming from.
The Jaguars get immediate pressure up the middle, and Garoppolo sees it and rolls away from the pressure as soon as he sees it. This isnt always the right thing to do, but in this situation Garoppolo had no other choice. He keeps his eyes downfield and finds his man to pick up a first down from third and long.
The touchdown everyone has seen by now is another good example of his pocket management. Dante Fowler gets inside leverage on LaAdrian Waddle (not a good look for Waddles roster hopes) and forces Jimmy to bail from the pocket. An argument could be made he shouldve stepped up with Jamil Douglas helping out on Fowler, but Fowler wouldve had an opportunity to get a hand on Jimmy if he did. Garoppolo resets his feet and looks downfield, making the throw for the touchdown to Austin Carr.
This wasnt a perfect playfading and throwing off his back foot is a recipe for disaster, and the throw wasnt particularly accuratebut when you evade pressure the way he did, and the result is a touchdown, those can be forgiven.
Beyond his pocket movement, Garoppolo flashed the ability (if inconsistently, more on that later) to make some impressive throws into tight windows.
Crowded pocket, hands jumping in his face, tight window, third and long, money throw. High enough the underneath LBs cant reach, behind his TEs ear so the safety cant come in and break it up, in a place that only his receiver can go get it, and Jacob Hollister did just that. First down.
30 yards down the field, 25 yards across the field. Find the length of the hypotenuse. Nearly 40 air-yard throw to the sideline, he may have been a little late getting to the target, but delivers a strike for a big first down on a deep comeback.
Lastly, probably my favorite throw he made on the night. Get to the top of your drop, set, back-shoulder throw the CB cant do anything about in 1-on-1 coverage, easy first down on a throw thats more difficult than it looks.
Garoppolo made some atrocious throws in this game, speaking to the inconsistency mentioned in the above section. He started the game off very slowly, which can be argued as just shaking off some rust and getting into a rhythm, or as struggling against the Jaguars starters and picking on the backups.
Garoppolo has a chance to put his team in the red zone, and correctly attempts to make a back-shoulder throw with a safety closing over the top and the defender step for step on Devin Luciens inside shoulder. Garoppolo cant even give Lucien a chance to make the play, however, as he leads him out of bounds.
The pocket movement here deserves to be in the Good section, but the throw lands it here. After a pump fake and stepping up in the pocket to evade the initial pressure, Jimmy finds his tight end wide open and completely misses him.
This couldve been 6. This shouldve been a big play. This was almost an interception. Garoppolo is late getting the ball out and not only underthrows his man, but leads him so far inside the ball almost landed in the safetys (who started about 10 yards to the right of the play) hip pocket.
I mean...come on. Yes, Dion Lewis managed to get a hand on it. Working from a completely clean pocket with a receiver more than 3 yards clear of any defender and facing directly at you, only ~9 yards away, there is no excuse for that ball to land anywhere other than his numbers.
Finally, a completed pass, but this is how you get your receivers killed. Open window to throw in and Garoppolo leads Hollister too far. Hollister makes a great play on the ball, and then pays the price for doing so, getting hit in the head twice immediately after catching the pass. (*Note: There was an issue uploading this gif, I had to use a different site to do so. It needs to be clicked on or hovered over to play, it will not autoplay like the others)
The Patriots did not ask Jimmy Garoppolo to do a whole lot. Most of his completions came on screens and dump-offs. He made some impressive throws but for every good one he had, he cancelled it out with an equally bad one. He heated up as the game went on, but as already mentioned, its tough to tell whether to attribute that to Garoppolo settling in, or him finding success against the Jaguars backups (Jacksonville played most of their defensive starters in the game).
Ultimately, my biggest takeaway was Garoppolos pocket movement. He was under pressure quite frequently in this game and generally knew when to step up and maneuver in the pocket and when to bail and try to extend the play with his legs. This was the one area of his game I came away from pre-season week 1 truly impressed with. This game provided us with more of the same from Garoppolo: Enough flashes to provide hope for the future, enough downside to question if hes actually a part of it.
- Editorial: Getting historical on YouTube - News - The Review - The-review - July 12th, 2020
- ISI admission test 2020 postponed again - Times of India - July 12th, 2020
- H.266 is coming and your video files will be half the size they are with H.265/HEVC - DIYphotography - July 12th, 2020
- This Brand Is Turning Art Exhibition Posters into Graphic Tees - Gear Patrol - July 12th, 2020
- August Alsina shares cryptic message after Jada Pinkett Smith confirms romance during split from husband Will - The Sun - July 12th, 2020
- The rise of Thirst Trap culture among Gen Z Indian women - ETtech.com - July 12th, 2020
- With No End in Sight to the Coronavirus, Some Teachers Are Retiring Rather Than Going Back to School - TIME - July 12th, 2020
- Moyra Davey and Kate Zambreno on Writing As If You Were Dead - frieze.com - July 12th, 2020
- What Makes A YouTube Video Hit The Trending Tab? This Data Scientist Broke Down Every Single Video That Trended In 2019. - Tubefilter - July 12th, 2020
- People In Melb's Locked Towers Are Sharing Their Situation On TikTok - Pedestrian TV - July 10th, 2020
- Employer Use of Contact Tracing Apps: The Good, the Bad, and the Regulatory - JD Supra - July 10th, 2020
- Exclusive: Lachy Wiggle and James Harkness Dish On The Wiggles World - Moms - July 10th, 2020
- Photos of runaway couple a distraction: High Court - The Tribune India - June 21st, 2020
- Effectiveness of RCMP body cameras will depend on clear goals, policies, say experts - Nunatsiaq News - June 21st, 2020
- From paying tribute to speaking her mind, here is what Kangana Ranaut was upto this week - Republic World - Republic World - June 21st, 2020
- Talks alone will resolve LAC stand-off: MEA - The Tribune India - June 9th, 2020
- Visions for the Next School Year - Education Week - June 9th, 2020
- I hated remote teaching during the Covid-19 lockdown. It should never replace the classroom - The Guardian - June 9th, 2020
- What's it all about? Online learning terms explained - The Irish Times - June 9th, 2020
- Learning in times of crisis - Daily Pioneer - June 9th, 2020
- What Is PEXA And Why Are The Students Of Manipal Institution Of Technology Protesting Against It? - ED Times - June 9th, 2020
- Every single life is a precious one - Gulf Today - June 9th, 2020
- The best NAS drive in 2020: store ALL your images, and access them from anywhere - Digital Camera World - June 9th, 2020
- Technical Glitches and Lawsuit Dampen Experiment With Remote AP Tests - Education Week - May 25th, 2020
- Amazon Video: Will There Be A Season 2 Of 'Upload'? - TV Shows Ace - May 25th, 2020
- Tips On Successfully Surviving The National Visa Center Process - caribbeannationalweekly.com - May 25th, 2020
- #SendingLove in the world's largest user-generated outdoor campaign - AdNews - May 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus impact: Swiggy starts home delivery of liquor in Jharkhand, Zomato to follow suit - Business Today - May 25th, 2020
- Nick Cordero fighting 'new lung infection' amid coronavirus battle, wife reveals - The Union Journal - May 25th, 2020
- Have The Royals Found Another Rule 5 Gem? - The Union Journal - May 25th, 2020
- HSE will be guided by NPHET advice on 2m rule - Reid - RTE.ie - May 25th, 2020
- A Guide to TikTok Best Practice in 2020 - The Future of Things - May 25th, 2020
- Britains Got Talents biggest child stars from Connie Talbot to George Sampson where are they now? - The Sun - May 25th, 2020
- Churches Grapple With Whether To Suspend Worship Services - WUWF - March 16th, 2020
- 8 Big Takeaways From Donald Glovers Surprise Collection of New Music - Complex - March 16th, 2020
- 'InfoWars' Host Alex Jones Arrested for DWI in Texas - The Union Journal - March 16th, 2020
- View: The morbid dance of coronavirus is holding up a mirror to who we really are - Economic Times - March 16th, 2020
- The workers Compensation Fund software is failing the people of South Africa - Daily Maverick - March 16th, 2020
- MCU: 10 Characters We Want To See In The Falcon And The Winter Soldier - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2020
- Guides are already up for some of Ori and the Will of the Wisps' hardest achievements - TrueAchievements - March 12th, 2020
- Trump To Address Nation On Coronavirus Pandemic - The Union Journal - March 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus vs. the Mass Surveillance State: Which Poses the Greater Threat? - CounterPunch - March 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin, Monero and Zcash Will Still Be Used in the Year 2414 According to Netflix's Altered Carbon - Bitcoin News - March 6th, 2020
- Britney Spears Posts Cryptic Message About 'Mind Games' A Day After Getting Loved Up With Sam Asghari! - The Union Journal - March 6th, 2020
- How to Use LinkedIn: Must-Have Tips for Professional Success - G2 - March 6th, 2020
- Man fills bathtub and toilet with Orbeez, pranking himself - The A.V. Club - March 6th, 2020
- Hollyoaks' Stephanie Davis hospitalised with chest infection - digitalspy.com - March 6th, 2020
- Is there a Reason to use Promotion Tools on Apple Music? - The African Exponent - March 6th, 2020
- Lauren And Cameron Of 'Love Is Blind' Talk Representation In The White World Of Dating Shows - The Union Journal - March 6th, 2020
- The 7 types of electronic music producer: which are you? - MusicRadar - March 6th, 2020
- UK Home and Away Spoilers - Alf Proposes to Martha! - Back to the Bay - March 6th, 2020
- What to do in Toronto this week: February 24-March 1 - NOW Magazine - February 24th, 2020
- Behold, the Fine Art of the Lesbian Thirst Trap - NewNowNext - February 24th, 2020
- How beauty is being used to fight back against facial recognition and CCTV - Dazed - February 24th, 2020
- How To Get Millions To Watch Your Short Film On Third-Party Youtube Channels - Cartoon Brew - February 12th, 2020
- SA historian to help plan SU's 150th anniversary celebration - The Daily Orange - February 12th, 2020
- Riverdale Season 4 Episode 13 Review - Chapter 70: The Ides of March - Den of Geek US - February 12th, 2020
- Google Maps gets a makeover for its 15th birthday - SlashGear - February 12th, 2020
- JackSepticEye reveals how controversy has affected PewDiePie - Dexerto - February 12th, 2020
- 8 Ways to Drive More Calls & Better Call Quality with Paid Search - Search Engine Journal - January 31st, 2020
- What is Slack and how does it work? Plus plenty of Slack tips and tricks - Pocket-lint - January 31st, 2020
- 5 ways to be a bit safer this Data Privacy Day - Naked Security - January 31st, 2020
- Byte Proves That Vine Is Inherently Superior to TikTok - VICE - January 31st, 2020
- Catching up with SpecmenceCBJ, YouTubes foremost Columbus Blue Jackets archivist - The Cannon - January 31st, 2020
- Niladri Dutta: Enhancing Deep Learning Innovation With Knowledge-Based Decisioning - Analytics Insight - January 31st, 2020
- MLBTR Poll: How Good Are The Reds? - The Union Journal - January 30th, 2020
- Four Ways To Prepare Yourself For Real Estate Investing Success In 2020 - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper Just Popped A Monster Inflamed Cyst In The Ultimate Popaholic Challenge Youtube Video - Women's Health - January 5th, 2020
- Behind the scenes in the Getty photo archives with 'Unseen' - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- CES 2020 tips and tricks: Your guide to techs biggest trade show - VentureBeat - January 5th, 2020
- How William Gibson Keeps His Science Fiction Real - The New Yorker - December 18th, 2019
- PewDiePie Quits Twitter After Confirming YouTube Hiatus - We Got This Covered - December 18th, 2019
- Everipedia Gives Back to Children by Partnering with GIVE Nation - GlobeNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Heavy freight: Why drop-in pitches can't be moved interstate - Sydney Morning Herald - December 18th, 2019
- Amazfit GTR is the Best First Smartwatch for Watch lovers - International Business Times - December 18th, 2019
- Jigs and fixtures by Xometry - 3DPMN - December 18th, 2019
- Do We Have Minds of Our Own? - The New Yorker - December 11th, 2019
- What Are The Best Anonymous Bitcoin Casinos? - Coin Clarity - December 11th, 2019
- The 'artificial' eye of the artist - The Drum - November 27th, 2019
- Heres What to See, Watch, and Stream This Thanksgiving - Vulture - November 27th, 2019