The American Cancer Society records about 3,000 new cases of mesothelioma each year in the U.S.
Its a disease that mostly affects people who worked with asbestos and products containing asbestos.
While there are treatments that control tumor growth, researchers have not found a definitive cure for the cancer.
Mesothelioma is a rare cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.
The cancer develops when a person ingests asbestos, and it causes changes to a persons DNA.
Our genes, which are made of DNA, control how cells grow, multiply and die. Changes in our genes may cause cells to divide out of control and may lead to cancer.
Tumors also can be benign (noncancerous). But when tumors are cancerous, doctors call the disease malignant mesothelioma. It is often shortened to mesothelioma.
Common mesothelioma symptoms include:
These mesothelioma symptoms usually do not show until tumors have grown and spread. Mesothelioma latency is 20-50 years. Thats how long it takes from initial exposure to accurate diagnosis. For that reason, many people with mesothelioma are in their 60s or 70s.
You should talk to a mesothelioma specialist soon if you have a history of asbestos exposure and experience these symptoms. An early diagnosis may improve your prognosis and life expectancy.
Select the diagnosis you or your loved one is facing and receive a free guide with the right information for you:
Oncologists name each type of mesothelioma by the location in the body where it develops.
The pleural and peritoneal types of mesothelioma are the most common. Pericardial accounts for 1 percent of cases. Another rare type is testicular mesothelioma. It represents less than 1 percent of all mesotheliomas.
Prognosis, symptoms and treatment options vary by type.
Asbestos use in the military was widespread from 1940 to 1980. Veterans from all branches of the U.S. armed forces were at risk of exposure. Navy veterans are most at risk. This branch used the largest quantity of asbestos products.
More than 75 occupations have exposed workers to asbestos. Auto mechanics, textile workers, steel mill workers, construction workers and firefighters are among the most at risk.
Asbestos workers unknowingly carried asbestos fibers on their body and clothing. This resulted in secondary asbestos exposure among residents such as women and children.
Younger patients and women have a better mesothelioma prognosis than older men. People diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma also have a higher chance of survival.
Patients eligible to undergo multimodal therapy, which is a combination of two or more standard-of-care treatments, have a better life expectancy and improved prognosis.
A patients mesothelioma cell type also plays a significant role in prognosis and life expectancy.
The three types of cells include:
The cancer is localized. Surgery is most effective at this stage. Survival rate is higher. Median life expectancy at stage 1 is 22.2 months.
Tumors have started to spread from the original location into adjacent structures. Surgery is still an option. Median life expectancy at stage 2 is 20 months.
Cancer has progressed to a more advanced stage with spread into the regional lymph nodes. Surgery may still be an option. Median life expectancy at stage 3 is 17.9 months.
Cancer has spread extensively in the area where it developed. Chemotherapy and immunotherapy control symptoms and prolong survival. Median life expectancy at stage 4 is 14.9 months or less.
Mesothelioma is a rare cancer. It represents only 0.3 percent of all cancer diagnoses. Most doctors and oncologists have never encountered it.
A 2009 study published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine states that cancer care requires the technical knowledge and skills of specialty physicians such as medical oncologists, surgeons and radiation oncologists.
These are factors that impact a mesothelioma patients survival. Thats why finding a mesothelioma specialist is so important.
Finding a mesothelioma specialty center with experienced mesothelioma doctors is crucial to survival.
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Dr. Abraham Lebenthal is a respected thoracic surgeon who treats pleural mesothelioma patients at Brigham & Womens Hospital and Boston VA Hospital. Lebenthal worked alongside Dr. David Sugarbaker at Brigham and teaches at Harvard Medical School.
UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center
Dr. Robert B. Cameron developed a lung-sparing surgery for pleural mesothelioma that not only extends survival, but offers greater quality of life by preserving the lung. Camerons surgery has a lower risk of complications and studies report longer survival times.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Jacques Fontaine is the Director of the Mesothelioma Research and Treatment Center at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida. He specializes in minimally invasive thoracic surgery including robotic surgery. Fontaine became a pleural mesothelioma specialist at Brigham & Womens Hospitals International Mesothelioma Program.
Washington Cancer Center
Dr. Paul Sugarbaker is the countrys leading expert on peritoneal mesothelioma. He developed the widely renowned cytoreductive surgery and heated chemotherapy technique that changed the landscape of peritoneal cancer treatment. Many people with peritoneal mesothelioma are alive today because of Sugarbakers innovations.
Ridley-Tree Cancer Center
Dr. W. Charles Conway is an expert in peritoneal mesothelioma and the Director of Surgical Oncology at Ridley-Tree Cancer Center in Santa Barbara, California. He specializes in minimally invasive robotic surgery and heated chemotherapy for peritoneal mesothelioma.
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
Dr. J.F. Pingpank Jr. is a peritoneal mesothelioma expert who advocates for regional therapy. The approach applies treatment locally around the cancer to limit damage to the rest of the body. Pingpank specializes in cytoreductive surgery and heated chemotherapy.
We can help you or a loved one find a mesothelioma doctor who specializes in chemotherapy.
Mesothelioma treatment helps patients live longer lives. But not every patient is eligible for each type of mesothelioma treatment.
The most common treatments for mesothelioma include:
More than 70 percent of mesothelioma patients undergo chemotherapy
Clinical trials offer mesothelioma patients access to experimental therapies. They also provide scientific and medical information for researches to develop new treatments. Patients in clinical trials also receive excellent medical care.
Herbal medicines, mind-body therapies, holistic healing and other complementary therapies may benefit patients.
Thank you for the doctor referral info. We met with the doctor and came away with what seemed like a weight lifted.
Read More Testimonials
We can help you or a loved one get a diagnosis or a second opinion from a mesothelioma specialist.
Many companies that produced, distributed or used asbestos products knew it was deadly. But they neglected to warn their employees. Filing a lawsuit can help mesothelioma patients cover lost wages, medical expenses and other costs.
$180,000 is the median value for mesothelioma claims, according to a 2010 report from the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit institution that conducts research and analysis on asbestos bankruptcy trusts.
A person with mesothelioma can file a personal injury lawsuit. Mesothelioma lawyers file these against companies responsible for their clients asbestos exposure. Families can file wrongful death claims when a loved one dies of mesothelioma.
Qualified mesothelioma attorneys can help you decide when to file a lawsuit. They can also guide you through the process. Time is of the essence because statute of limitations may expire. A mesothelioma lawyer will review your case so you receive the highest compensation.
Learn How to Hire a Qualified Mesothelioma Lawyer
Support is available for mesothelioma patients, survivors and loved ones in many forms.
The Mesothelioma Centers monthly online support group meets every second Wednesday. Licensed mental health counselor Dana Nolan runs the support group. Patients and survivors can share their experiences with others on a similar cancer journey.
Last Modified November 26, 2018
Registered Nurse and Patient Advocate
Karen Selby joined Asbestos.com in 2009. She is a registered nurse with a background in oncology and thoracic surgery and was the regional director of a tissue bank before becoming a Patient Advocate at The Mesothelioma Center. Karen has assisted surgeons with thoracic surgeries such as lung resections, lung transplants, pneumonectomies, pleurectomies and wedge resections. She is also a member of the Academy of Oncology Nurse & Patient Navigators.
13 Cited Article Sources
See the original post:
- Odds of Surviving Mesothelioma Equal in Rural and Urban Australia | - Surviving Mesothelioma - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Treatment - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Study Reveals Concerning Aftereffects of Peritoneal Mesothelioma Surgery - Mesothelioma.net Blog - April 2nd, 2020
- 3 Objectives for People With Mesothelioma During Coronavirus Isolation - Mesothelioma Guide - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Pain Management with PCC - Surviving Mesothelioma - April 2nd, 2020
- California Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Urges A Person in California with Mesothelioma to Forgo the 'Free booklet and to Call for Direct Access to... - April 2nd, 2020
- Prevention key to protecting those at high risk during pandemic - Orange Leader - Orange Leader - April 2nd, 2020
- Arizona Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste To Ensure a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma Receives... - April 2nd, 2020
- Maryland US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran with Lung Cancer in Maryland Who Also Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for Direct... - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Lawsuits and why you will need a Lawyer by your side - California Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Missouri US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran or Person with Lung Cancer in Missouri Who Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for... - March 26th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Causes, symptoms, and outlook - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Coping - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Symptoms | Learn the Warning Signs - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - TechMirror - February 24th, 2020
- Editorial Guidelines and Standards - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Study Examines Efficacy of Peritonectomy and Chemotherapy for Peritoneal Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.com - February 24th, 2020
- Are Mesothelioma Patients Leaving An Effective Treatment on the Table? - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Sheldon Silvers Attempt to Have More Conviction Appeals Heard by Court Rejected - NBC New York - February 24th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Nationwide Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of the Amazing... - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - February 17th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Prognosis - February 17th, 2020
- Exhaled Breath Analysis: Is it the Future of Mesothelioma Diagnosis? | - Surviving Mesothelioma - February 17th, 2020
- The dangers of asbestos: What the public should know - Penn: Office of University Communications - February 17th, 2020
- Asbestos, Ubiquitous and Unavoidable, Is a Deadly Threat to Our Kids - EcoWatch - February 17th, 2020
- German Researchers Deem Heated Chemotherapy Safe Option for Pleural Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- Facing The New Year With Malignant Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst if the Law Firm of Karst von... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Is Open During the Holidays to Make Certain A Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma Has Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Urging a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma to Call Them Anytime During the Holidays for Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Tributes to National Express bus driver, who tragically dies of cancer aged just 29 - Birmingham Live - January 5th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate is Open Throughout the Holidays to Ensure a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Gets a Game Plan from Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- 1.5 Million UK Buildings are Exposed to Asbestos; Mesothelioma Lawyers are Helping the Victims - BO Herald - December 27th, 2019
- Congressional Hearing Examines Asbestos Detection in Talc - Mesothelioma.com - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Open During Holidays to Ensure a Person with Mesothelioma Gets on the Spot Compensation Advice from Attorney Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: Immunotherapy a Potential Alternative to Chemotherapy - Gilmore Health News - December 27th, 2019
- St. Louis Jury Sides With Johnson & Johnson in Talc Case - The New York Times - December 27th, 2019
- Malignant Mesothelioma Market To Tell Apart Steadfast Growth Within The Course - Bulletin Line - December 27th, 2019
- Industrial Workers Affected due to Asbestos Exposure at Workplace have been Searching Mesothelioma Lawyer Nationwide in the US - Seekers Time - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What Is Malignant Mesothelioma Cancer? - December 21st, 2019
- mesothelioma | Definition, Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Treatment | Britannica - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: How Has Paul Kraus Survived For Over 20 Years? - December 21st, 2019
- What to Avoid Saying to Someone with Mesothelioma - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Rediscovering the Joy of Christmas as a Mesothelioma Widow - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Tiles Used in Home Renovation Blamed for Man's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Make Certain a Navy Veteran or Shipyard... - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Ensure a Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma... - December 21st, 2019
- Johnson & Johnson scores another talc win with California mesothelioma verdict - FiercePharma - December 21st, 2019
- New Study Reveals Worse Mesothelioma Prognosis With Higher Expression of CD70 Protein - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm Karst von Oiste to Assist a Steel Mill Worker with Mesothelioma Nationwide - Get a... - December 21st, 2019
- 5 Occupations Most Affected by Mesothelioma - Occupational Health and Safety - December 13th, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste for a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma to... - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Urges an Industrial Electrician with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst... - December 13th, 2019
- Heather Von St. James Celebrates 14 Years of Survivorship - Mesothelioma.com - December 13th, 2019
- More Than Survival: Cytoreduction With HIPEC Has Psychological Benefits - Mesothelioma Guide - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Appeals to the Family of a School or Hospital Maintenance Man with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to... - December 13th, 2019
- Goodyear Must Face Jury In Face of Carpenter's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 28th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste for a Coal-Gas or Nuclear Power Plant Worker with... - October 28th, 2019
- Rare Mesothelioma Type Linked to In-Dwelling Shunts - MedPage Today - October 1st, 2019
- Disappointment Over Immunotherapy in Mesothelioma - Medscape - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Has Endorsed the Attorney Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste and Erik For a Nuclear Power Worker or... - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Answer Specific... - October 1st, 2019
- Jury awards $40.3 million in talcum powder trial | Around The State - Antelope Valley Press - October 1st, 2019
- Judge Rejects J&J's Bid to Avoid Paying Award to Deceased Mesothelioma Victim - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Symptoms, Causes, and Prognosis Explained - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma.com | Information for Patients and Families - May 3rd, 2019
- Mesothelioma Symptoms: Asbestos Cancer Warning Signs - April 21st, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma Cancer? | Mesothelioma Book - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Symptoms - Critical Signs to Watch For - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Group | Understanding Mesothelioma Cancer ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Cancer Tutor - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | pathology | Britannica.com - April 21st, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma? Learn About Causes, Survival Rates ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Cancer | Symptoms, Prognosis, & Treatment - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What are it's Causes, Symptoms & Prognosis ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Lawyer Center | Leading Asbestos Attorneys - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - April 21st, 2019