Asbestos has long been prized for resistance to heat and electricity and for its durability, strength, and flexibility. These properties gave it many uses in all kinds of industries, but it has since been proven that long-term exposure to its fibers posesserious health risks, including mesothelioma.
Due to its widespread use in the U.S. and throughout the world, hundreds of millions of people have been and still are exposed to harmful asbestos. Many of these people have developed mesothelioma, a type of cancer that only shows symptoms decades after the exposure occurred.
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that begins in the tissuethis is called the mesotheliumthat lines organs in the body. The most common type of this cancer is pleural mesothelioma, in which tumors form in the tissue around the lungs. Asbestos fibers that are inhaled stick in this tissue and cause damage over decades. Other types of mesothelioma attack the peritoneum in the abdominal cavity or the pericardium around the heart.
Malignant mesotheliomatakes decadessometimes up to 50 yearsto develop after exposure to asbestos, and because it is rare with symptoms similar to more common illnesses, diagnosis is often delayed.
Symptoms of pleural mesotheliomainclude shortness of breath, chest pains, and persistent dry coughing. As the disease advances to its final stage, symptoms can become more severe and typically include severe chest and lung pain, bloating, fatigue, skin rashes, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, night sweats, and fever.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may be entitled to substantial compensation.Fill out our form to receive a freeFinancial Compensation Packet. Our packet is loaded with information on leading mesothelioma attorneys in your area, how to file a claim for asbestos trust funds, how to get paid in 90 days, and more.
Most mesothelioma victims are people who worked with or around asbestos. Men and women who served in themilitary, construction workers, shipyard workers, and industrial workers are among those most at risk. Anyone who lived with someone who worked with asbestos may develop mesothelioma after being exposed to fibers brought home on the workers clothing.
U.S. Navy veterans have some of the highest rates of mesothelioma in the country. American naval vessels built from the 1930s to the early 1960s contained large amounts ofasbestos. Floors, hulls, electrical systems, insulation, boilers, steam pipes, and more contained asbestos fibers in order to add tensile strength, heat resistance, and low electrical conductivity.
Other types of workplaces likely to have contained asbestos include power plants, steel plants, manufacturing facilities, oil companies, welding business, automotive shops, chemical plants, mines and processing plants, and textile mills.
Mesothelioma is a rare type of cancer. Not everyone who was exposed to asbestos will develop the cancer, although exposure is the leading cause. The demographic most likely to be diagnosed is older men, those who worked decades ago in facilities with asbestos.
It can take decades to accuratelydiagnose mesothelioma. Symptoms may not be obvious for 20 to 50 years after exposure. Even then, the symptoms may initially seem mild and mimic those of pneumonia, the flu, and other common illnesses. It is important for physicians to know if patients with mesothelioma-like symptoms may have been exposed to asbestos in the past in order to make the most accurate diagnosis or to refer patients to the right specialists.
After a physical exam, diagnosis will likely involve blood tests, X-rays, and other types of imaging scans. If tumors or growths are seen in scans, the next step is to perform a biopsy. A small piece of tissue is removed to be examined under a microscope. This is usually the most conclusive way to determine if growths are cancerous. After mesothelioma is diagnosed, a specialist will stage the disease.
Mesothelioma, like other cancers, is assigned one of four stages at the time of diagnosis to describe how advanced it is:
Mesothelioma cancer currently has no cure, which means that theprognosisis not usually positive. Additionally the prognosis is often not very good because most cases of mesothelioma are diagnosed in the latter stages, when treatment options are limited.
Its important to remember, however, that each patient is different and while one person may survive a year, another person may go on to live decades. Its imperative to work with your physician on the best treatment options for you and your unique situation.
Chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, or some combinations have proven to be the most effectivemesothelioma treatmentsso far. Whenever possible, surgery is used to remove as much of the cancerous tissue as possible. Patients who are not good candidates are those whose cancer is in stage 3 or 4, who are elderly, or who are in poor physical condition or poor health.
Patients who undergo surgery are then usually given chemotherapy or radiation to try to eliminate any remaining cancer cells. Those who cannot have surgery may be given either or both of these treatments to slow the spread of the cancer and extend life.
Research into mesothelioma is ongoing, and there are some exciting emerging treatments that may help more patients in the future:
In addition to traditional medical treatments, many mesothelioma patients can benefit from a range of complementary and alternative therapies. Specific herbs and vitamins, acupuncture, yoga, meditation, and holistic healing, among others may be useful in reducing symptoms and making patients more comfortable.
Remember to fill out our from to get your free Financial Compensation Packet, with information on top asbestos and mesothelioma lawyers in your area. Keep in mind that if you havemesothelioma, asbestos-related lung cancer, or asbestosis, you may be eligible for considerable compensation. For additional assistance, contact us at800-793-4540.
- Odds of Surviving Mesothelioma Equal in Rural and Urban Australia | - Surviving Mesothelioma - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Treatment - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Study Reveals Concerning Aftereffects of Peritoneal Mesothelioma Surgery - Mesothelioma.net Blog - April 2nd, 2020
- 3 Objectives for People With Mesothelioma During Coronavirus Isolation - Mesothelioma Guide - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Pain Management with PCC - Surviving Mesothelioma - April 2nd, 2020
- California Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Urges A Person in California with Mesothelioma to Forgo the 'Free booklet and to Call for Direct Access to... - April 2nd, 2020
- Prevention key to protecting those at high risk during pandemic - Orange Leader - Orange Leader - April 2nd, 2020
- Arizona Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste To Ensure a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma Receives... - April 2nd, 2020
- Maryland US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran with Lung Cancer in Maryland Who Also Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for Direct... - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Lawsuits and why you will need a Lawyer by your side - California Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Missouri US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran or Person with Lung Cancer in Missouri Who Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for... - March 26th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Causes, symptoms, and outlook - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Coping - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Symptoms | Learn the Warning Signs - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - TechMirror - February 24th, 2020
- Editorial Guidelines and Standards - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Study Examines Efficacy of Peritonectomy and Chemotherapy for Peritoneal Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.com - February 24th, 2020
- Are Mesothelioma Patients Leaving An Effective Treatment on the Table? - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Sheldon Silvers Attempt to Have More Conviction Appeals Heard by Court Rejected - NBC New York - February 24th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Nationwide Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of the Amazing... - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - February 17th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Prognosis - February 17th, 2020
- Exhaled Breath Analysis: Is it the Future of Mesothelioma Diagnosis? | - Surviving Mesothelioma - February 17th, 2020
- The dangers of asbestos: What the public should know - Penn: Office of University Communications - February 17th, 2020
- Asbestos, Ubiquitous and Unavoidable, Is a Deadly Threat to Our Kids - EcoWatch - February 17th, 2020
- German Researchers Deem Heated Chemotherapy Safe Option for Pleural Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- Facing The New Year With Malignant Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst if the Law Firm of Karst von... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Is Open During the Holidays to Make Certain A Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma Has Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Urging a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma to Call Them Anytime During the Holidays for Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Tributes to National Express bus driver, who tragically dies of cancer aged just 29 - Birmingham Live - January 5th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate is Open Throughout the Holidays to Ensure a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Gets a Game Plan from Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- 1.5 Million UK Buildings are Exposed to Asbestos; Mesothelioma Lawyers are Helping the Victims - BO Herald - December 27th, 2019
- Congressional Hearing Examines Asbestos Detection in Talc - Mesothelioma.com - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Open During Holidays to Ensure a Person with Mesothelioma Gets on the Spot Compensation Advice from Attorney Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: Immunotherapy a Potential Alternative to Chemotherapy - Gilmore Health News - December 27th, 2019
- St. Louis Jury Sides With Johnson & Johnson in Talc Case - The New York Times - December 27th, 2019
- Malignant Mesothelioma Market To Tell Apart Steadfast Growth Within The Course - Bulletin Line - December 27th, 2019
- Industrial Workers Affected due to Asbestos Exposure at Workplace have been Searching Mesothelioma Lawyer Nationwide in the US - Seekers Time - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What Is Malignant Mesothelioma Cancer? - December 21st, 2019
- mesothelioma | Definition, Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Treatment | Britannica - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: How Has Paul Kraus Survived For Over 20 Years? - December 21st, 2019
- What to Avoid Saying to Someone with Mesothelioma - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Rediscovering the Joy of Christmas as a Mesothelioma Widow - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Tiles Used in Home Renovation Blamed for Man's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Make Certain a Navy Veteran or Shipyard... - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Ensure a Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma... - December 21st, 2019
- Johnson & Johnson scores another talc win with California mesothelioma verdict - FiercePharma - December 21st, 2019
- New Study Reveals Worse Mesothelioma Prognosis With Higher Expression of CD70 Protein - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm Karst von Oiste to Assist a Steel Mill Worker with Mesothelioma Nationwide - Get a... - December 21st, 2019
- 5 Occupations Most Affected by Mesothelioma - Occupational Health and Safety - December 13th, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste for a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma to... - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Urges an Industrial Electrician with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst... - December 13th, 2019
- Heather Von St. James Celebrates 14 Years of Survivorship - Mesothelioma.com - December 13th, 2019
- More Than Survival: Cytoreduction With HIPEC Has Psychological Benefits - Mesothelioma Guide - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Appeals to the Family of a School or Hospital Maintenance Man with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to... - December 13th, 2019
- Goodyear Must Face Jury In Face of Carpenter's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 28th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste for a Coal-Gas or Nuclear Power Plant Worker with... - October 28th, 2019
- Rare Mesothelioma Type Linked to In-Dwelling Shunts - MedPage Today - October 1st, 2019
- Disappointment Over Immunotherapy in Mesothelioma - Medscape - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Has Endorsed the Attorney Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste and Erik For a Nuclear Power Worker or... - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Answer Specific... - October 1st, 2019
- Jury awards $40.3 million in talcum powder trial | Around The State - Antelope Valley Press - October 1st, 2019
- Judge Rejects J&J's Bid to Avoid Paying Award to Deceased Mesothelioma Victim - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Symptoms, Causes, and Prognosis Explained - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma.com | Information for Patients and Families - May 3rd, 2019
- Mesothelioma Symptoms: Asbestos Cancer Warning Signs - April 21st, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma Cancer? | Mesothelioma Book - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Symptoms - Critical Signs to Watch For - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Group | Understanding Mesothelioma Cancer ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Cancer Tutor - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | pathology | Britannica.com - April 21st, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma? Learn About Causes, Survival Rates ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What are it's Causes, Symptoms & Prognosis ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Lawyer Center | Leading Asbestos Attorneys - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Treatments, Symptoms, Causes, Prognosis - April 8th, 2019