Malignant mesothelioma is a rare type of cancer that occurs in the thin layer of cells lining the body's internal organs, known as the mesothelium.
There are three recognized types of mesothelioma. Pleural mesothelioma is the most common form of the disease, accounting for roughly 70% of cases, and occurs in the lining of the lung known as the pleura. Peritoneal mesothelioma occurs in the lining of the abdominal cavity, known as the peritoneum and pericardial mesothelioma originates in the pericardium, which lines the heart.
An individual may be at risk to develop mesothelioma if he or she was exposed to asbestos in the workplace or at home. Mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos and the inhalation of asbestos particles. In most cases, mesothelioma symptoms will not appear in an individual exposed to asbestos until many years after the exposure has occurred.
Those with a past asbestos exposure history experiencing symptoms should consult a physician with experience in accurately diagnosing mesothelioma. The earlier mesothelioma is diagnosed, the more likely it is to be caught at an early stage. At earlier stages of mesothelioma progression, more treatment options are available and oftentimes a better prognosis is given.
Additional mesothelioma information and statistics can be found in this section. Read stories of hope from mesothelioma surviviors as well.
In 2006, at the age of 36, Heather Von St. James gave birth to her daughter, Lily Rose. Just three months later, she was diagnosed with mesotheliomastartling news for someone so young. Heather had been exposed to asbestos second-hand as a child when her father would return home from work with his clothing covered in asbestos dust. Heather often wore his coat, and in the process she unwittingly breathed in the fibers. With strong faith, support from a host of family and friends, and a vibrant sense of humor, Heather emerged from a multi-month course of treatment healthy and cancer-free.
Mavis describes herself as an ordinary woman who married a shipwright. For 48 years, she washed her husbands clothes when he came home from work, never knowing that the dust on his jacket was full of deadly asbestos. In June 2009, Mavis was diagnosed with mesothelioma and given only three months to live. Chemotherapy worked to extend her life for another year beyond that, but eventually the tumors started growing again. However, she was given a new lease on life through an immunotherapy trial, which has kept her cancer free much longer than expected.
Paul Cowley and his wife Claire could hardly believe it when they got the news that he had pleural mesothelioma. He was only 34, much younger than most people diagnosed with this rare and deadly form of cancer. Being so young, Paul was able to attempt an aggressive multimodal treatment regimen that included multiple avenues of attack against the cancer. Paul has beaten the odds by surviving beyond five years a feat that only 9% of mesothelioma patients accomplish.
Paul Kraus has lived with peritoneal mesothelioma for nearly two decades. Born into a Nazi labor camp in Austria, he escaped as an infant with his mother and brother and soon emigrated with his family to Australia. Asbestos is prevalent in Australia, and as a result, the country suffers from some of the highest rates of mesothelioma in the world. Mr. Kraus was exposed as a youth on a summer job he took in 1962. The cancer was latent until 1997 at which time he was diagnosed and given just weeks to live.
Stephen Jay Gould
One of the most popular scientific authors of recent times, evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould, authored more than 20 books on a variety of scientific subjects, and published hundreds of essays in Natural History magazine. Gould lived for twenty years after being diagnosed with mesothelioma in 1982. After his diagnosis, he wrote an essay, The Median Isnt the Message, about his reaction to the news and to the realization that half of all mesothelioma patients died within eight months of diagnosis. His essay has been cited as a source of comfort and hope by many cancer victims.
Once an individual has been diagnosed by a qualified mesothelioma doctor, the next step is to discuss mesothelioma treatment options and to develop a treatment plan. Recent scientific research has produced significant breakthroughs with regard to treatment protocols for mesothelioma patients and more options are now available for managing mesothelioma and supporting improved quality of life.
Newly diagnosed mesothelioma patients often have many questions for their doctors about the treatment options that would be most effective for them. Conventional treatment options for mesothelioma include surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. Recently, chemotherapy drugs including Alimta and Cisplatin have showed promising results in some patients.
Mesothelioma clinical trials as well as experimental treatments are other options that certain mesothelioma patients may be eligible to participate in. Our site features a comprehensive mesothelioma cancer treatment section that includes important information for patients and families. We've included resources on top mesothelioma experts such as Dr. Raphael Bueno, as well as a comprehensive list of cancer centers where mesothelioma treatment takes place.
Beyond the conventional treatments for mesothelioma, certain alternative therapies may provide assistance to mesothelioma patients. Financial assistance is available to help offset mesothelioma treatment costs. We continually update this section of our site as new mesothelioma treatment information becomes available.
Asbestos exposure is the primary cause of mesothelioma cancer. Inhaled or ingested asbestos fibers may cause an inflammation of internal tissue and disrupt organ function which leads to the development of mesothelioma. Asbestos products were used extensively in the 20th century throughout the United States, in a wide variety of applications.
Asbestos companies continued to produce these products even after they were known to be hazardous to workers. These products were responsible for asbestos exposure sustained by the individuals who manufactured them as well as those who used them. Renovation and construction both at home and in schools also poses high risk areas for exposure. People also may have been exposed to asbestos-contaminated talc in baby powder
Many workers were put at risk at commercial and industrial locations including refineries, power plants, steel mills, auto production facilities and large construction sites. Some of the occupations of workers at risk include electricians, plumbers, boilermakers, carpenters, mechanics, machinists and more. Additionally, if you lived with someone who was regularly exposed to asbestos and washed their clothes, you could be at risk for second hand asbestos exposure.
Although rare, mesothelioma affects veterans from all branches of service: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. As mesothelioma has a long latency period and can remain dormant for several decades, veterans who served our country from 1930 through 1980 are just now being diagnosed with the disease.
Navy veterans who worked in navy shipyards and or served on our nation's aircraft carriers, battleships, destroyers, submarines and warship from WWII through the Vietnam War were exposed to high concentrations of deadly asbestos and are at a high risk for developing asbestos-related cancer. Boiler rooms, engine rooms, sleeping quarters, and other areas of naval vessels were the most common areas where asbestos was present.
Some prominent shipyards where asbestos was prevalent include Brooklyn Navy Yard, Norfolk Navy Shipyard, Long Beach Naval Shipyard and Hunters Point Naval Shipyard. Financial assistance and help with VA Benefits is available to veterans diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Asbestos manufacturers and distributors made a concerted effort to hide the dangers of asbestos from the public, while at the same time profiting heavily from the sale and manufacture of harmful asbestos products. Those suffering from Mesothelioma can seek compensation from the manufacturers of asbestos and asbestos-containing products by hiring a competent mesothelioma lawyer.
When deciding whether or not you should pursue your legal rights, you should think about the following three things. First, asbestos manufacturers had knowledge of the dangers of asbestos and knowingly put hardworking men and women at risk. Second, treatment for mesothelioma can be very expensive. Third, by exercising your legal rights, you can protect your loved ones in the future.
Ask a question and Jennifer will respond to you promptly.
Once you make the decision to pursue your rights, a competent asbestos attorney will maximize recovery from both viable and bankrupt asbestos defendants. Over 65 asbestos trusts have been established holding billions of dollars combined across them. These asbestos trust funds have been set aside to help compensate those workers who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma cancer or other asbestos-related diseases.
The legal process to compensate mesothelioma victims is not overly burdensome and should be strongly considered to help offset treatment costs and to provide financial security for loved ones.
Mesothelioma is often treated with a multimodal therapy of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. Though these treatments are considered the standards of care, as curative and palliative opt...
In October, Canadas government followed through on a promise it made in 2016 to eventually ban asbestos use. On December 30, the Prohibition of Asbestos and Products Containing Asbestos Regulation...
Perth, Australia - November 15, 2018
The phase 2 DREAM immunotherapy study is showing promise for mesothelioma patients. Learn more about the study and how it impacted survival rates.
Newark, NJ - October 03, 2018
The Department of Justice is objecting to Duro Dynes appointment for its asbestos trust fund, citing several conflicts of interest.
Those who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or other types of terminal cancer can find tremendous comfort in the support they get from family, friends and caregivers.
The Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance is also part of the larger community dedicated to promoting mesothelioma research and preventing new cases through a worldwide asbestos ban.
FREE Mesothelioma Awareness Wristbands and Treatment Guide.
We work with and donate to the following organizations whose missions complement our own: Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization, Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation, National Foundation for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, American Society of Clinical Oncology and the Cancer Research Institute. The mesothelioma community gets together often at various events around the country.
This is the BTOGs 17th annual conference and brings together speakers and attendees from around the world. Previous topics covered during the three-day event include respiratory medicine, immunotherapy, mesothelioma, translational oncology, and radiotherapy. For further information, please visit the BTOG's website via the link below.
Each year, the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) participates in National Cancer Prevention Month to educate and inform others about how to reduce their risk of developing the disease. The campaign focuses on helping people make better lifestyle choices to lower their risk, including choosing healthier eating habits and exercising more. To learn more, please visit AICR's website via the link below.
- Odds of Surviving Mesothelioma Equal in Rural and Urban Australia | - Surviving Mesothelioma - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Treatment - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Study Reveals Concerning Aftereffects of Peritoneal Mesothelioma Surgery - Mesothelioma.net Blog - April 2nd, 2020
- 3 Objectives for People With Mesothelioma During Coronavirus Isolation - Mesothelioma Guide - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Pain Management with PCC - Surviving Mesothelioma - April 2nd, 2020
- California Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Urges A Person in California with Mesothelioma to Forgo the 'Free booklet and to Call for Direct Access to... - April 2nd, 2020
- Prevention key to protecting those at high risk during pandemic - Orange Leader - Orange Leader - April 2nd, 2020
- Arizona Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste To Ensure a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma Receives... - April 2nd, 2020
- Maryland US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran with Lung Cancer in Maryland Who Also Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for Direct... - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Lawsuits and why you will need a Lawyer by your side - California Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Missouri US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran or Person with Lung Cancer in Missouri Who Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for... - March 26th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Causes, symptoms, and outlook - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Coping - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Symptoms | Learn the Warning Signs - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - TechMirror - February 24th, 2020
- Editorial Guidelines and Standards - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Study Examines Efficacy of Peritonectomy and Chemotherapy for Peritoneal Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.com - February 24th, 2020
- Are Mesothelioma Patients Leaving An Effective Treatment on the Table? - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Sheldon Silvers Attempt to Have More Conviction Appeals Heard by Court Rejected - NBC New York - February 24th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Nationwide Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of the Amazing... - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - February 17th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Prognosis - February 17th, 2020
- Exhaled Breath Analysis: Is it the Future of Mesothelioma Diagnosis? | - Surviving Mesothelioma - February 17th, 2020
- The dangers of asbestos: What the public should know - Penn: Office of University Communications - February 17th, 2020
- Asbestos, Ubiquitous and Unavoidable, Is a Deadly Threat to Our Kids - EcoWatch - February 17th, 2020
- German Researchers Deem Heated Chemotherapy Safe Option for Pleural Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- Facing The New Year With Malignant Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst if the Law Firm of Karst von... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Is Open During the Holidays to Make Certain A Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma Has Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Urging a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma to Call Them Anytime During the Holidays for Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Tributes to National Express bus driver, who tragically dies of cancer aged just 29 - Birmingham Live - January 5th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate is Open Throughout the Holidays to Ensure a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Gets a Game Plan from Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- 1.5 Million UK Buildings are Exposed to Asbestos; Mesothelioma Lawyers are Helping the Victims - BO Herald - December 27th, 2019
- Congressional Hearing Examines Asbestos Detection in Talc - Mesothelioma.com - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Open During Holidays to Ensure a Person with Mesothelioma Gets on the Spot Compensation Advice from Attorney Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: Immunotherapy a Potential Alternative to Chemotherapy - Gilmore Health News - December 27th, 2019
- St. Louis Jury Sides With Johnson & Johnson in Talc Case - The New York Times - December 27th, 2019
- Malignant Mesothelioma Market To Tell Apart Steadfast Growth Within The Course - Bulletin Line - December 27th, 2019
- Industrial Workers Affected due to Asbestos Exposure at Workplace have been Searching Mesothelioma Lawyer Nationwide in the US - Seekers Time - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What Is Malignant Mesothelioma Cancer? - December 21st, 2019
- mesothelioma | Definition, Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Treatment | Britannica - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: How Has Paul Kraus Survived For Over 20 Years? - December 21st, 2019
- What to Avoid Saying to Someone with Mesothelioma - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Rediscovering the Joy of Christmas as a Mesothelioma Widow - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Tiles Used in Home Renovation Blamed for Man's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Make Certain a Navy Veteran or Shipyard... - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Ensure a Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma... - December 21st, 2019
- Johnson & Johnson scores another talc win with California mesothelioma verdict - FiercePharma - December 21st, 2019
- New Study Reveals Worse Mesothelioma Prognosis With Higher Expression of CD70 Protein - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm Karst von Oiste to Assist a Steel Mill Worker with Mesothelioma Nationwide - Get a... - December 21st, 2019
- 5 Occupations Most Affected by Mesothelioma - Occupational Health and Safety - December 13th, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste for a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma to... - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Urges an Industrial Electrician with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst... - December 13th, 2019
- Heather Von St. James Celebrates 14 Years of Survivorship - Mesothelioma.com - December 13th, 2019
- More Than Survival: Cytoreduction With HIPEC Has Psychological Benefits - Mesothelioma Guide - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Appeals to the Family of a School or Hospital Maintenance Man with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to... - December 13th, 2019
- Goodyear Must Face Jury In Face of Carpenter's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 28th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste for a Coal-Gas or Nuclear Power Plant Worker with... - October 28th, 2019
- Rare Mesothelioma Type Linked to In-Dwelling Shunts - MedPage Today - October 1st, 2019
- Disappointment Over Immunotherapy in Mesothelioma - Medscape - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Has Endorsed the Attorney Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste and Erik For a Nuclear Power Worker or... - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Answer Specific... - October 1st, 2019
- Jury awards $40.3 million in talcum powder trial | Around The State - Antelope Valley Press - October 1st, 2019
- Judge Rejects J&J's Bid to Avoid Paying Award to Deceased Mesothelioma Victim - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Symptoms, Causes, and Prognosis Explained - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma.com | Information for Patients and Families - May 3rd, 2019
- Mesothelioma Symptoms: Asbestos Cancer Warning Signs - April 21st, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma Cancer? | Mesothelioma Book - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Symptoms - Critical Signs to Watch For - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Group | Understanding Mesothelioma Cancer ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Cancer Tutor - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | pathology | Britannica.com - April 21st, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma? Learn About Causes, Survival Rates ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Cancer | Symptoms, Prognosis, & Treatment - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What are it's Causes, Symptoms & Prognosis ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Lawyer Center | Leading Asbestos Attorneys - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - April 21st, 2019