Oil prices have gyrated this week on conflicting reports and predictions regarding the restoration of operations at the damaged Abqaiq processing facility in Saudi Arabia. The largest disruption in oil market history led to a 15 percent price gain on Monday, but prices opened up sharply lower on Tuesday after Reuters reported that operations would resume much quicker than expected.
The outage at Abqaiq is not just a problem because of the immediate impact on production, but also because it takes much of the worlds spare capacity offline. According to Bloomberg, the most optimistic assessment puts global spare capacity at 3.9 million barrels per day (mb/d), but that includes half a million barrels of daily capacity from idled Neutral Zone oil fields, plus some optimistic assumptions about the usability of spare capacity elsewhere.
In reality, spare capacity would be incredibly thin if Abqaiq remains offline for an extended period of time. Bloomberg notes that Saudi Arabia has about 1.67 mb/d of surplus capacity, but some of that would likely need to be processed at Abqaiq, leaving it temporarily unusable. Those details are kept secret.
While a half dozen or so other countries have some additional ability to add production in a pinch (mainly Saudi Arabias Gulf State allies), much of the worlds spare capacity is concentrated in Saudi Arabia.
Aside from idled production, strategic petroleum reserves (SPR) could also be thrown onto the market to cover for an outage. The U.S. has the worlds largest SPR, and it has been the linchpin of American energy security strategy for several decades. President Trump said that he authorized the use of the SPR in the event that supply was needed to cover for Abqaiq.
The Secretary has been briefed on todays drone attack in Saudi Arabia and stands ready to deploy resources from the Strategic Petroleum Oil Reserves (SPRO) if necessary to offset any disruptions to oil markets as a result of this act of aggression, DOE Press Secretary, Shaylyn Hynes said in a statement on Saturday. Related: U.S. And China Could Close Mini Trade Deal
However, there are problems with the SPR. As Bloomberg reports, the state of the storage facilities that comprise Americas SPR is troubling. A 2016 report from the Department of Energy detailed the decrepit condition at some sites. A large portion of the SPRs surface infrastructure has exceeded its design life and is in need of life extension, DOE said in the report. This need for infrastructure life extension, coupled with increasing deferments of major maintenance projects, has resulted in an increasing number of significant equipment failures that have adversely impacted the Reserves operational readiness capability.
Investing in a second Life Extension project is essential to ensure the long-term integrity of SPR assets and the ability of the program to carry out its mission, DOE concluded.
Also, the SPR might not be able to withdraw as much oil as it says it can, due to the rerouting of pipelines along the Gulf Coast in recent years, Jason Bordoff of Columbia University told Bloomberg.
Despite those warnings, little has been done. Instead, feeling confident (perhaps overly confident) due to the surge of oil production from shale, the U.S. Congress has deprioritized the SPR over the past half-decade or so. The crash in prices in 2014, and the rapidly growing supply from Texas and North Dakota, greatly influenced the decision to sell off oil stocks from the SPR.
Congress has authorized multiple sales of oil from the reserve, and not for some security concern, as the SPR was intended, but rather for budgetary reasons. Congress decided to liquidate parts of the SPR to raise cash. Related: A Fracking Ban Will Never Happen
The U.S. SPR used to hold nearly 700 million barrels of oil, but now holds 630 million barrels. The agency recently sold 10 million barrels from the reserve as part of the previously authorized sale schedule.
It all might be a moot point. Saudi Arabias energy minister held a highly-anticipated press conference on Tuesday, updating the world on the damage at Abqaiq. He struck a confident tone, stating that half of the disrupted output is already back online and that repair work would be completed by the end of the month. In the meantime, the country would use inventories to keep export flows continuing as usual.
If this bears out, the U.S. SPR might not be needed after all. Oil prices fell sharply on Tuesday.
However, a lot of uncertainty remains. The U.S. Defense Department plans to release details that allegedly prove that Iran was behind the attack. President Trump said on Monday that he didnt want war with Iran, but retaliation is not off the table. This story is not over.
By Nick Cunningham of Oilprice.com
More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:
- The UN is going to consider the Vitaspace Declaration on Radical Life Extension - PR Web - June 22nd, 2020
- The 10 Best Zinc Supplements of 2020 - Healthline - June 22nd, 2020
- National Weather Service announces radar outage during major upgrade in July - UpperMichigansSource.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Former Pro Bowl running back Kareem Hunt is hoping to sign a long-term extension with the Browns - CBS Sports - June 22nd, 2020
- Updates from Stranger Things, Twilight Zone, and More - Gizmodo - June 22nd, 2020
- Riding the Waves of Life: How to Build Resiliency - Antigo Times News - June 22nd, 2020
- The line between 'elective' and 'essential' is often hazy - Bryan-College Station Eagle - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cryonics Technology Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Praxair, Cellulis, Cryologics, Cryotherm, KrioRus, VWR, etc. - Cole of... - June 22nd, 2020
- New Bridge Program Involves Incoming Students in the Future of Agriculture | Newsroom - UC Merced University News - June 22nd, 2020
- With eviction freeze extension, Florida landlords wonder how they'll recover lost rent - Florida Trend - June 22nd, 2020
- Life inside Pluto? Hot birth may have created internal ocean on dwarf planet - The Conversation UK - June 22nd, 2020
- Jamal Adams 'trying' to force trade to Cowboys, putting Jets in impossible situation - Sporting News - June 22nd, 2020
- 10sBalls Wishes Happy 100th Birthday To Tennis Star Robert Ryland - 10sBalls - June 22nd, 2020
- What's the Value of a Virtual Education? | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - June 22nd, 2020
- Coronavirus: Sunday opening hours extension to be ditched amid threats of Tory revolt - The Independent - June 22nd, 2020
- Honeybee lives shortened after exposure to two widely used pesticides - Cannon Beach Gazette - June 21st, 2020
- Mixed reaction to border closing extension | State News | nny360.com - NNY360 - June 21st, 2020
- Gran left in building hell over unfinished extension had 'no choice' but to sell family heirlooms - Daily Post - June 21st, 2020
- How COVID-19 might affect US nuclear weapons and planning - Brookings Institution - May 19th, 2020
- The best supplements to look after your mind and mental health - Get The Gloss - May 19th, 2020
- We're Part Of The Indoor Farm Revolution - Mashable India - May 19th, 2020
- Colts Wideout T.Y. Hilton Wants to Be a Colt for LifeBoth Sides Have Had Extension Talks - Stampede Blue - May 19th, 2020
- Atascosa County upcoming events and educational opportunities - Pleasanton Express - May 19th, 2020
- Fight emerges over unemployment benefits in next relief bill | TheHill - The Hill - May 19th, 2020
- As Suncor ponders Terra Nova's future, N.L. offshore workers worry about their own - CBC.ca - May 19th, 2020
- Induction Healthcare to get a new zest for life with acquisition - Digital Health - May 19th, 2020
- The economy on life support: Business leaders respond to budget 2020 - The Spinoff - May 19th, 2020
- Reliance Foundation gives a new lease of life to womenfolk in Gujarat - Times Now - May 19th, 2020
- Salt reduction: Preservation without sodium and delivering on taste - FoodIngredientsFirst - May 19th, 2020
- Asset life extension: viable in the long term for oil and gas? - Offshore Technology - May 11th, 2020
- Eat Like a Bird and Weight Loss Will Be a Dead Sirt - American Council on Science and Health - May 11th, 2020
- Shelf-life and food safety: Hear exclusive expert insights on two of the biggest industry challenges right now - FoodNavigator-Asia.com - May 11th, 2020
- Empty shelves at the store? Extension webinar to focus on where to find food - bedfordgazette.com - May 11th, 2020
- All is not well at the Neyveli thermal power station in Cuddalore - Down To Earth Magazine - May 11th, 2020
- Life insurance policy: Grace period for premium payment extended further - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Life, death and a wedding: Hyderabadis narrate stories of COVID-19 lockdown crisis - The New Indian Express - May 11th, 2020
- NLC India TPS II, all about the company where boiler blast occurred in Neyveli - Zee News - May 11th, 2020
- Virtual events for the week of May 11-17 - Tampa Bay Times - May 11th, 2020
- This kitchen extension in Foxrock pulls out all the stops - image.ie - May 11th, 2020
- Most have adapted to new life under MCO - The Borneo Post - May 11th, 2020
- 'I'm just ready to know where we're going' | News, Sports, Jobs - Marshall Independent - May 11th, 2020
- Oral Probiotics Market 2020 Future Growth Prospects and Trends | Oragenics, Life Extension, TheraBreath and Others - Cole of Duty - April 28th, 2020
- Stay-at-home extension causes tension throughout the state - Leader-Telegram - April 28th, 2020
- How to live when nobody dies - E&T Magazine - April 28th, 2020
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Bad Education' on HBO, a Funny White-Collar-Crook Bio Featuring Hugh Jackman's Best Performance Yet - Decider - April 28th, 2020
- F-16 at Spangdahlem first in Europe to hit 10000 flight hours - Stars and Stripes - April 28th, 2020
- Viewpoint: The impact of COVID-19 on nuclear jobs : Perspectives - World Nuclear News - April 28th, 2020
- Poll: What the American public likes and hates about Trumps nuclear policies - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - April 28th, 2020
- The Proto-Communist Plan to Resurrect Everyone Who Ever Lived - VICE - April 28th, 2020
- Govt. to extend state of emergency to May 30 - EyeWitness News - April 28th, 2020
- Extension of FIH Pro League augurs well for India with chance to face top sides, says Varun Kumar - Scroll.in - April 28th, 2020
- Cutting green tape may be good politicking, but its bad policy. Here are 5 examples of regulation failure - The Conversation AU - April 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus Ireland: Fears of lockdown extension over testing concerns - Irish Mirror - April 28th, 2020
- Stream It Or Skip It: Bad Education on HBO, a Funny White-Collar-Crook Bio Featuring Hugh Jackmans Best Performance Yet - News Lagoon - April 26th, 2020
- Norway proposes extension to its Arctic oil exploration boundary - Reuters - April 26th, 2020
- Power shortages will remain a big challenge in a post-COVID-19 South Africa - The Conversation Africa - April 26th, 2020
- Senators hope ECQ extension will be the last - Philippine Star - April 26th, 2020
- A Brexit extension wouldn't be the end of the world - Spectator.co.uk - April 26th, 2020
- Covid-19: NCDC hints at extension of lockdown - Vanguard - April 26th, 2020
- Simon Walker writes: Feeding the habit in times of social isolation - Newcastle Herald - April 26th, 2020
- Staying connected in disjointed times - The Courier=Times - April 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus briefing: Lockdown extension talks and calls for international unity - BBC News - April 9th, 2020
- Letters To the Editor | Opinion - westvalleyview.com - April 9th, 2020
- Dogs and Cancer - JSTOR Daily - April 9th, 2020
- "Life Won't Be Same Ever": Odisha First To Extend Lockdown Till April 30 - NDTV News - April 9th, 2020
- Shock as Ninewells nurses find protective masks with expiry dates from 2016 on box - Evening Telegraph - April 9th, 2020
- Spain, Italy to extend lockdowns amid renewed rise in cases - Stars and Stripes - April 9th, 2020
- Alkane Resources regional drilling south of TGO returns further broad, high-grade gold - Proactive Investors Australia - April 9th, 2020
- Cryonics Technology Market Next Big Thing | Major Giants Cryotherm, KrioRus, VWR, Thermo Fisher Scientific - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Doing the right thing! Lockdown extension gets YOUR backing - Lifting it could be fatal' - Express.co.uk - April 9th, 2020
- Bruce Power Unit 1 hits milestone of 600 days of reliable operation delivering clean power to Ontario - Kincardine News - April 9th, 2020
- Draken Works the Red Team: Mirage F-1s as Part of the Arsenal - Second Line of Defense - April 9th, 2020
- Sharecare, Blue Zones renew and extend partnership to drive community well-being transformation - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Hundreds of additional tax deadlines reset to July 15 - POLITICO - April 9th, 2020
- Rio Tinto halts operations at Kennecott following earthquake - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - March 20th, 2020
- At last news that something is guaranteed to be healthy and well looked-after for the next six months. That something is Windows 10 1709 - The... - March 20th, 2020
- France poised to follow Italy in extension of coronavirus lockdown - The Brussels Times - March 20th, 2020
- Wave away weeds with Extension tips - Franklin County Times - Franklin County Times - March 20th, 2020
- Private Aggressor F-5 Fighter Force Is Flying With Helmet Mounted Displays - The Drive - March 20th, 2020
- Share Natur International Announces Resignation of Dr. Nina Storms, Founder and Company Visionary, from Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - March 20th, 2020