Oil prices have gyrated this week on conflicting reports and predictions regarding the restoration of operations at the damaged Abqaiq processing facility in Saudi Arabia. The largest disruption in oil market history led to a 15 percent price gain on Monday, but prices opened up sharply lower on Tuesday after Reuters reported that operations would resume much quicker than expected.
The outage at Abqaiq is not just a problem because of the immediate impact on production, but also because it takes much of the worlds spare capacity offline. According to Bloomberg, the most optimistic assessment puts global spare capacity at 3.9 million barrels per day (mb/d), but that includes half a million barrels of daily capacity from idled Neutral Zone oil fields, plus some optimistic assumptions about the usability of spare capacity elsewhere.
In reality, spare capacity would be incredibly thin if Abqaiq remains offline for an extended period of time. Bloomberg notes that Saudi Arabia has about 1.67 mb/d of surplus capacity, but some of that would likely need to be processed at Abqaiq, leaving it temporarily unusable. Those details are kept secret.
While a half dozen or so other countries have some additional ability to add production in a pinch (mainly Saudi Arabias Gulf State allies), much of the worlds spare capacity is concentrated in Saudi Arabia.
Aside from idled production, strategic petroleum reserves (SPR) could also be thrown onto the market to cover for an outage. The U.S. has the worlds largest SPR, and it has been the linchpin of American energy security strategy for several decades. President Trump said that he authorized the use of the SPR in the event that supply was needed to cover for Abqaiq.
The Secretary has been briefed on todays drone attack in Saudi Arabia and stands ready to deploy resources from the Strategic Petroleum Oil Reserves (SPRO) if necessary to offset any disruptions to oil markets as a result of this act of aggression, DOE Press Secretary, Shaylyn Hynes said in a statement on Saturday. Related: U.S. And China Could Close Mini Trade Deal
However, there are problems with the SPR. As Bloomberg reports, the state of the storage facilities that comprise Americas SPR is troubling. A 2016 report from the Department of Energy detailed the decrepit condition at some sites. A large portion of the SPRs surface infrastructure has exceeded its design life and is in need of life extension, DOE said in the report. This need for infrastructure life extension, coupled with increasing deferments of major maintenance projects, has resulted in an increasing number of significant equipment failures that have adversely impacted the Reserves operational readiness capability.
Investing in a second Life Extension project is essential to ensure the long-term integrity of SPR assets and the ability of the program to carry out its mission, DOE concluded.
Also, the SPR might not be able to withdraw as much oil as it says it can, due to the rerouting of pipelines along the Gulf Coast in recent years, Jason Bordoff of Columbia University told Bloomberg.
Despite those warnings, little has been done. Instead, feeling confident (perhaps overly confident) due to the surge of oil production from shale, the U.S. Congress has deprioritized the SPR over the past half-decade or so. The crash in prices in 2014, and the rapidly growing supply from Texas and North Dakota, greatly influenced the decision to sell off oil stocks from the SPR.
Congress has authorized multiple sales of oil from the reserve, and not for some security concern, as the SPR was intended, but rather for budgetary reasons. Congress decided to liquidate parts of the SPR to raise cash. Related: A Fracking Ban Will Never Happen
The U.S. SPR used to hold nearly 700 million barrels of oil, but now holds 630 million barrels. The agency recently sold 10 million barrels from the reserve as part of the previously authorized sale schedule.
It all might be a moot point. Saudi Arabias energy minister held a highly-anticipated press conference on Tuesday, updating the world on the damage at Abqaiq. He struck a confident tone, stating that half of the disrupted output is already back online and that repair work would be completed by the end of the month. In the meantime, the country would use inventories to keep export flows continuing as usual.
If this bears out, the U.S. SPR might not be needed after all. Oil prices fell sharply on Tuesday.
However, a lot of uncertainty remains. The U.S. Defense Department plans to release details that allegedly prove that Iran was behind the attack. President Trump said on Monday that he didnt want war with Iran, but retaliation is not off the table. This story is not over.
By Nick Cunningham of Oilprice.com
More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:
- Why AI Will Be the Best Tool for Extending Our Longevity - Singularity Hub - December 13th, 2019
- Robots Will Refuel Satellites in Space, Extend Operations - Asgardia Space News - December 13th, 2019
- RockRose ramping up oil production at North Sea Brae complex - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 13th, 2019
- Judge Extends TRO to Keep Baby Tinslee Lewis Alive, Will Rule Injunction on or before Jan 2nd, 2020 - WBAP News/Talk - December 13th, 2019
- 21 Heathrow Airport jobs that are currently on offer - MyLondon - December 13th, 2019
- Catholics from across the country unite to build a new church in Texas - Catholic Extension - December 13th, 2019
- Local priest visits the US-Mexico border with Catholic Extension - Rhode Island Newspaper - December 13th, 2019
- 3 Stocks That Will Pay You More Dividends Than RBC (TSX:RY) - The Motley Fool Canada - December 13th, 2019
- WMU president awarded $25K raise and 5-year contract extension - mlive.com - December 13th, 2019
- More problems surface in troubled refit of coast guard vessel - CBC.ca - December 13th, 2019
- Cool Idea Award: Healthcare Grant From Protolabs Spurs A Pair Of Creative Feeding Tube Inventions - Med Device Online - December 13th, 2019
- Navy Beginning Tech Study to Extend Trident Nuclear Missile Into the 2080s - USNI News - November 16th, 2019
- Future analysis and scope of Soy Isoflavones Market by 2019 to 2025 | leading Companies- NOW Foods, InVite Health, ADM, DHC, GNC and Life Extension -... - November 16th, 2019
- Soup-To-Nuts Podcast: What might the 2020 dietary guidelines for the first 1,000 days include? - FoodNavigator-USA.com - November 16th, 2019
- Jobs, cancer-fighting isotopes and nuclear innovation highlight Bruce Power update - Shoreline Beacon - November 16th, 2019
- Some thoughts on Scott Frosts extension: Why now, and what it means - Saturday Tradition - November 16th, 2019
- Feleshia Thompson promoted to Family and Community Health County Extension Agent - The Light and Champion - November 16th, 2019
- Natur International Corp. and China-based Share International Sign Definitive Agreement for a Share Exchange - GlobeNewswire - November 16th, 2019
- Apeel Sciences expands trial of longer-lasting avocados with Kroger - FoodNavigator-USA.com - September 22nd, 2019
- Can fasting or pseudo-diabetes have a positive effect on aging and health? - On Biology - BMC Blogs Network - September 22nd, 2019
- PPP rubbishes AFC's call to extend govt's life ahead of elections - Demerara Waves Online News Guyana - September 22nd, 2019
- Long live candidate Harris, Milwaukee's US Transhumanist Party presidential hopeful - Milwaukee Record - September 22nd, 2019
- The Navy's 6th Generation Jet Will Make F-35s and F-22s Simply Old - The National Interest Online - September 22nd, 2019
- Repowering onshore wind: how 'real' is the opportunity? - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - September 22nd, 2019
- DealBook Briefing: The Debate Over Profits vs. Public Interest Continues - The New York Times - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Wellness Supplements Market Trends 2025 | Top Vendors are Life Extension, OPTAVIA, Beachbody, LLC, Nature's Sunshine Products, Inc - Herald... - September 22nd, 2019
- The extremely bad vibes of Adam Neumann - The Outline - September 22nd, 2019
- Cryonics Technology Market to See Huge Growth by 2025: Praxair, Cellulis, Cryologics - Wheel Chronicle - September 22nd, 2019
- Solon seeks extension of congressional oversight committee of CAAP for 5 more years - Manila Bulletin - September 22nd, 2019
- Gardeners can move beyond common onion | Slice Of Life - Cumberland Times-News - September 22nd, 2019
- Glut of new rolling stock brings challenges and opportunities for rail sector - Professional Engineering - September 22nd, 2019
- AFC, WPA divided on asking PPP for parliamentary extension - Demerara Waves Online News Guyana - September 22nd, 2019
- ASC19 Conference Envisioned What The Future U.S. Air Force Bomber Fleet Will Look Like - The Aviationist - September 22nd, 2019
- Global Lutein & Zeaxanthin Market 2019 Trends and Competitive Landscape Outlook -2023 - Analytics News - September 22nd, 2019
- Lifespan: A Groundbreaking Book About Aging - Wall Street Pit - September 22nd, 2019
- Dual-Ovenable Trays & Containers Market Leading Manufacturers Expected to Motivate Growth during 2018-2026 - Rapid News Network - September 22nd, 2019
- Former Clinton Aide Blumenthal Tackles Lincoln's Life in 5 Volumes - WTTW News - September 22nd, 2019
- OSU Extension: 2020's best garden starts now - Chillicothe Gazette - September 22nd, 2019
- British schoolgirl killed in Jamaica after family moved for safer life - Metro.co.uk - September 22nd, 2019
- Satoshi Nakamoto is Dead, Thinks BitMEX's Arthur Hayes - Cryptonews - September 22nd, 2019
- FIT LIFE: 3 ways to release tension in your hamstrings - KY3 - September 22nd, 2019
- If you see a spotted lanternfly, kill it - PennLive.com - September 22nd, 2019
- Surgical Rejuvenation Market Report, History and Forecast 2019-2027, Breakdown Data by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application - The Market... - September 22nd, 2019
- Bank of Nova Scotia Acquires 8,668 Shares of Sealed Air Corp (NYSE:SEE) - TechNewsObserver - September 22nd, 2019
- F&B players get insights on how to innovate - The Business Times - September 22nd, 2019
- Sealed Air Corp (NYSE:SEE) Shares Sold by US Bancorp DE - TechNewsObserver - September 22nd, 2019
- Life extension - Wikipedia - April 24th, 2019
- The Life Extension Blog - April 16th, 2019
- Life Extension Foundation - Wikipedia - April 16th, 2019
- Directory of Innovative Anti-Aging Doctors, Health And ... - April 16th, 2019
- Maximum Life Foundation | Reverse Aging by 2033 Biotech ... - March 28th, 2018
- The life-saving browser shortcut everyone should know - CNET - August 25th, 2017
- Rangers Renew Partnership With Globe Life For Stadium Naming Rights - CBS DFW - August 25th, 2017
- South32 plans a BEE boost - Business Day (registration) - August 25th, 2017
- Keppel secures order worth more than US$400m to build two LNG containerships - Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide - August 25th, 2017
- Global Naval Ship Modernization Assessment, Forecast to 2026 - PR Newswire (press release) - August 24th, 2017
- COD board approves 4-year contract extension with adjunct faculty - Suburban Life Publications - August 24th, 2017
- Competition to replace US nuclear missiles is down to 2 companies, but uncertainties remain - CNBC - August 22nd, 2017
- Extension brings finance class to jail - Nevada Herald - August 22nd, 2017
- Udall Touts Kirtland's Critical Mission & Cutting-Edge Technology In Meeting With Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski - Los Alamos Daily Post - August 21st, 2017
- AngloGold Ashanti's (AU) CEO Srinivasan Venkatakrishnan on Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha - August 21st, 2017
- Acquisition could boost NWSV life extension case | Business News - Business News - August 21st, 2017
- Which Role Saved Brandy Norwood's Life? - Parade - August 21st, 2017
- Ag land management seminar planned for Aug. 28 at Scottsbluff; register by Aug. 25 - Scottsbluff Star Herald - August 20th, 2017
- Penn State's Franklin signs extension - Arkansas Online - August 20th, 2017
- No subway service on Line 2 from Kipling and Islington stations this weekend - CBC.ca - August 19th, 2017
- Strategies to cope with family stress - Michigan State University Extension - August 19th, 2017
- Franklin signs contract extension worth $34.7 million - Williamsport Sun-Gazette - August 19th, 2017
- Final Defenders trailer gives us the best kind of villain - Ars Technica - August 18th, 2017
- Extension agents are neighbors you should get to know - The Garden City Telegram - August 18th, 2017
- Garden to Grill program teaches youth skills to last a lifetime - Journal Review - August 18th, 2017
- First pass for Minehunter Service Life Extension - Australian Defence - Australian Defence Magazine - August 16th, 2017
- Doxycycline time release capsules - Shelf life extension program doxycycline - Filipino Express - August 15th, 2017
- Freeze your body and cheat death in China China's latest society and culture news - SupChina - August 14th, 2017
- North Branch Trail Extension Joins A Growing Northwest Side Bike Network - DNAinfo - August 14th, 2017
- Keeping fit: Overcome aging with strength training - The Daily Citizen - August 13th, 2017
- Time to pop an anti-ageing pill - Cosmos - August 13th, 2017
- I Tried Clip-In Extensions & Loved It: Why They're Better Than Keratin Sometimes - Hollywood Life - August 13th, 2017
- Government prods producers on extending NWS - The West Australian - August 11th, 2017
- BWXT Canada lands $48M add-on to Bruce Power deal - TheRecord.com - August 11th, 2017