Theres a dead giveaway that these coronavirus liberty protests around here are political theater, and not real outrage.
It has to do with a certain sense of dj vu.
Take, say, our newly famous state Rep. Robert Sutherland, R-Granite Falls, who is in the national spotlight now for taking to the state Capitol steps in Olympia last Sunday and seeming to foment armed rebellion in the middle of a pandemic.
The ruling state government here is hell bent on destroying the rule of law, Sutherland told the big crowd. If you try to defend your rights, they will kill you without hesitation.
Yep, fighting words. But these are unusual times, and you can sense the heightened passion in his oh wait, Im sorry. Sutherland actually said that at an Olympia gun protest a year ago, in April, 2019. My mistake. Heres what he said, pistol tucked in his pants, at last weekscoronavirus protest:
Were starting a rebellion in Washington Governor, you send men with guns after us for going fishing, well see what a revolution looks like you send your goons with guns, we will defend ourselves.
Sutherland was joined in inveighing against this new government tyranny by Rep. Jim Walsh, R-Aberdeen who had also joined Sutherland in decrying the old government tyranny back at the 2019 rally.
Or take Rep. Matt Shea, R-Spokane Valley. You know your liberty rally is part of an ongoing vaudeville act when he signs up. Oh look: May Day Mutiny, read a flyer that Shea was circulating online last week trying to whip up more protests, according to The Spokesman-Review of Spokane.
RE-OPEN THE ECONOMY GOV. INSLEE. May 1st, if you wont we will rally in our counties to get them to re-open, Shea wrote. Freedom is the cure.
I dont know, if anything feasts on freedom, its this virus. But setting that aside, how genuinely oppressed by the coronavirus restrictions can one claim to be when you were exactly as oppressed by other perceived tyrannies, like five minutes ago?
I bring all this up because it feels as if were heading once again into idiocracy territory, with the hard political debates we need to have instead getting hijacked by theater performers like those mentioned above.
Yes, the government shutdown orders are onerous, and yes, some of them dont make much sense (I can go running but I cant go fishing?) But nobody is being ticketed for violating any of them, let alone confronted by goons with guns. Thats because they were issued in an emergency fashion with an acknowledgment that they werent perfect, so it was thought everyone deserved some slack.
But the bigger problem is they are a total sideshow to the real political problem we face now one that actually is worth protesting. Namely, that government is failing to ramp up enough testing to allow a social and economic reopening.
This one I truly do not understand. America, with more than 50,000 deaths now and bearing down on a million infections, still is only testing fewer than 200,000 people a day. That doesnt rank us in the top 20 countries for per capita testing.
Epidemiologists have been shouting about this deficiency for months now. Its vital because its only way out. The virus isnt much chastened by guns or protests or bellicose threats, but it can be hunted down relentlessly and isolated, by science. Not doing so virtually guarantees more outbreaks.
I see test-trace-isolate as the only real solution to the problem were facing, says Trevor Bedford, an epidemiologist at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, who was one of the first to warn that a large-scale outbreak in America was happening. A mass testing operation is the Apollo program of our times, he called it six weeks ago.
Harvard scientists estimated last week that to fully re-open society and the economy, we need to be doing 20 million tests per day by this summer. Were currently doing 1 percent of that.
It remains a mystery then why months into this crisis, testing is still on the back burner. The president, who I recall is a builder, could declare himself the King of Testing and ramp up national production, then make a daily spectacle out of trumpeting his progress. Plagiarize Bedford and dub it Apollo, or No American Left Unswabbed whatever, hes the sales expert, he could come up with something gold.
Absent that and were definitely absent that maybe Washington, California, Oregon and throw in British Columbia could form a Cascadia Testing Project that could combine to do the regional production needed.
Some dramatic progress needs to happen, and soon.Because heres the thing: The protests are political theater, and theypoll terribly, but its simultaneously true that the target of their ire, social distancing, isnt a long-term solution. So without more testing, we may soon be facing another volatile contagion which is that increasingly desperate people may start feeling the protesters have a point.
Originally posted here:
- Ranking the top 50 Liberty football players of all time: 50-41 - A Sea of Red - June 22nd, 2020
- We Can Find Common Ground on Gay Rights and Religious Liberty - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Two Liberty football players cite racial insensitivity in decision to transfer - ESPN - June 22nd, 2020
- Police: Man scratched an expletive on the replica of Liberty Bell at the Idaho Statehouse - KTVB.com - June 22nd, 2020
- The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained - The Dispatch - June 22nd, 2020
- Tolsma reflects on legacy, accomplishments in lengthy career at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - June 22nd, 2020
- I Suppressed So Much of My Humanity in Being Here - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Kitchen's virtual dinner brings questions of race, inclusion in New Orleans to the table - NOLA.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Leaf to Acquire Nova Mentis Biotech Corp. - Liberty Leaf Augments Portfolio with Entrance into the Emerging Psilocybin Therapy Market - Yahoo... - June 22nd, 2020
- Man charged in connection with Liberty kidnapping, robbery - KCTV Kansas City - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. (LBRT) the Stock that gain 10.25% this week! - The News Heater - June 22nd, 2020
- What Liberty Meant to the Pilgrims - National Review - June 22nd, 2020
- Time to give liberty and justice to all - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - June 22nd, 2020
- Independence opens newly constructed section of Liberty Playground - cleveland.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University Commit Jony Munoz Named 2019-20 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year - SoccerNation.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Stewart: Amid protests and reform, we truly need 'liberty and justice for all' - Standard-Examiner - June 22nd, 2020
- This day in sports: Sparks fall to Liberty in WNBA's first game in 1997 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Heres Some Upbeat Coverage of the Philadelphia Parade That Became a Super-Spreader Event During the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020
- Connecting Liberty Lake ready to help: Citys volunteers wait for calls from those in need - The Spokesman-Review - April 24th, 2020
- Rallying for the 'freedom and liberty to work' - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 24th, 2020
- Is One Liberty Properties, Inc.'s (NYSE:OLP) ROE Of 6.4% Impressive? - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Liberty end up with 4 of top 12 picks after draft-night deals - ESPN - April 24th, 2020
- Yes, government can restrict your liberty to protect public health - Los Angeles Times - April 24th, 2020
- Carnival Liberty | Deck Plans, Activities & Sailings ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty AV Solutions - Your Best Source for Pro AV ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty University to offer $1,000 credit to students who leave dorms by Saturday because of coronavirus - Richmond.com - March 31st, 2020
- Falwell says concerns about students returning to Liberty University are overblown - CNN - March 31st, 2020
- Two COVID-19 cases confirmed aboard Liberty of the Seas - Galveston County Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- KHS grad Robinson had found a spot on NCAA Tournament-bound Liberty - Kearney Hub - March 31st, 2020
- Fire Oak Distillery in Liberty Hill has produced nearly 600 gallons of sanitizer for Williamson County first responders, community - Community Impact... - March 31st, 2020
- History's Headlines: The Liberty Bell stopped here - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty urged to help smaller F1 teams survive shutdown - RACER - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty - IMDb - March 26th, 2020
- Jerry Falwell, Liberty Universitys choice to stay open during coronavirus, explained - Vox.com - March 26th, 2020
- Thousands of Liberty students expected to return to campus amid coronavirus outbreak - Richmond.com - March 26th, 2020