Over the past month, Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of Liberty University, has found himself in the medias spotlight for reasons that would be surprising if he didnt already have such a blemished track record as the leader of the worlds largest evangelical university.
Despite immense pushback, Falwell had planned to keep classes running amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. His grave lack of understanding of how viruses spread (or of science more generally) was and is deeply troubling for any university president worth their salt.
Related: Shocking expose of Jerry Falwell, Jr. reveals sexual sins & shady finances at Liberty University
A simple Google search would have revealed the danger of his decision to continue running classes as all reputable news outlets had, for weeks, encouraged social distancing. He insisted it was all liberal media hype.
Falwell was strongarmed into moving classes online by Virginia Governor Ralph Northams emergency ban on public gatherings. But, despite the Governors ban, Falwell nonetheless welcomed some students back to campus who can clearly be seen disregarding social distancing protocol in footage taken by an LU student that was, ironically, intended as a defense of Falwells handling of Liberty amidst the pandemic.
Falwell disregard of so many voices of reason public health officials, students, parents, and those in the Lynchburg community in the name of politics calls into question his ethical, moral, and intellectual fitness to be a college president.
Falwells plan to keep the school open dramatically illustrates how he was willing to use his own students as political pawns in his battle against the Left. Indeed, he jeopardized the health and safety of the community in order to make a point that he believed the liberal media was overreacting to the World Health Organizations classification of COVID-19 as a global pandemic.
It seems that politics trump the health and safety of those with whom Falwell is entrusted.
Falwell explained his initial plan to reopen the campus, stating: Were hopeful that its overhyped and its not as bad as everyone wants to think it is; were praying thats the case.
About 1900 students returned to campus housing after Spring Break. By the time a week passed, half had fled and students were reporting symptoms and being quarantined. No one knows how many students who live in off-campus housing returned.
In addition to his blatant disregard for his students wellbeing in favor of the culture wars, Falwell also told Fox & Friends that he wondered if COVID-19 was a Christmas present for America from North Korea. He suggested that an elaborate biohazardous scheme to get Trump.
The virus first appeared in China, not North Korea. Thetwo countries have vastly different provenance, size, and influence.
Falwell doubled down on his conspiracy theory, albeit modified, this week in the following Tweet:
His propensity to buy into unfounded and wildly enigmatic conspiracy theories is nothing new. His belief that COVID-19 is a gift from China/North Korea is very much in line with the Liberty-sponsored propagandistic film The Trump Prophecy, a film based on a memoir of a man who believes God told him Trump would one day be president.
When asked on ABC News why he was ignoring public health guidelines by welcoming students, faculty, and staff back to campus, Falwell responded, So, we emphasize safety first, we are cleaning surfaces every hour that are touched off, and we are increased police, uh, police protection on campus.
Every chair, every other chair, has a sign that says dont sit next to the person beside, that might be next to you. Sit, leave a space between And so, weve taken all the precautionary measures, and we, uh, all the students love it.
Understandably, Falwells recent actions have garnered attention from both sides of the political spectrum, liberal and conservative alike.
One (soon-to-be-former) Liberty University professorpublicly pleaded with the Liberty Board of Trustees to take Falwells seemingly unmitigated power from him during this pandemic. It is time that Liberty University goes one (sensible) step further and remove Falwell from his university presidency permanently.
As has been made overwhelmingly clear by his recent and not-so-recent statements and actions, Falwell is a man who would arguably be better suited for the world of conservative politics, rather than university education.
It is unclear, however, if Falwell quite understands the difference between Republican politics and university-level education.
He has a lengthy track record of censoring student free speech on campus and muffling of student dissent, in addition to silencing faculty and university employees; university-wide fearmongering; lying; hypocrisy; questionable business deals; supporting civil disobedience as it relates to firearms; and running a school that has a gay conversion therapy program and a rampant and violent culture of homophobia.
A college president with such an extensively tarnished resum that demonstrates a barefaced disregard for the welfare, safety, and livelihoods of his students is profoundly disconcerting. As more and more people question the validity of Falwell as a leader, his recent actions point to the need for the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges ought to investigate.
Falwells monumental mishandling of Liberty University during the pandemic can and should be understood as the model for what not to do in times of crisis and, more generally, for how a proper university should not be run. Indeed, Falwells mismanagement of the situation is one in a long line of many that he is not capable of performing his job and his employment should be earnestly reconsidered.
The Liberty Board of Trustees has a choice to make. Who do they serve: the God they profess to worship or Jerry Falwell Jr.?
Lucas Wilson holds a BA in English, summa cum laude, from Liberty University and an MA in English from McMaster University. He then completed his MTS with a Certificate in Jewish Studies at Vanderbilt University, graduating first in his class. He is now a PhD candidate in Comparative Studies at Florida Atlantic University, writing his dissertation and teaching in Toronto, Ontario, and he is a Dissertation Fellow through The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi.
- The Liberty Biberdy Guy from Liberty Mutual Commercials, Tanner Novlan, Is Joining CBS Soap Bold and the Beautiful - Showbiz411 - July 11th, 2020
- Cornerback Williams verbally commits to Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - July 11th, 2020
- Letter: Mask ordinance is attempt to take away liberty and freedom - Sumter Item - July 11th, 2020
- 'Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' San Diego Downtown News - San Diego Downtown News - July 11th, 2020
- Lebanon-Hanover natural gas project no longer in the pipeline - Valley News - July 11th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: I don't believe we have liberty and justice for all - Summit Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Tennis looking to return to the courts in Philadelphia - Outsports - July 11th, 2020
- No leads on man who vanished from Belmont Ave. in Liberty without a trace - WKBN.com - July 11th, 2020
- National View: A holiday for the dream of liberty and justice for all - MetroWest Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Hall to host virtual concert to celebrate 90th anniversary - Tyler Morning Telegraph - July 11th, 2020
- The Penultimate Day of Overtime July: Religious Liberty Wednesday - Reason - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Shere named Northeast Tech Claremore Campus Director - Claremore Daily Progress - July 11th, 2020
- PHOTOS: Socially-Distanced Dining at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the Newly-Reopened Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - July 11th, 2020
- Police say Liberty business owner stabbed theft suspect, who still managed to get away - WKBN.com - July 11th, 2020
- More new cases of COVID-19 reported in Liberty County - Bluebonnet News - July 11th, 2020
- Online learning hiccups lead to civil liberty threats | TheHill - The Hill - July 11th, 2020
- Ranking the top 50 Liberty football players of all time: 50-41 - A Sea of Red - June 22nd, 2020
- We Can Find Common Ground on Gay Rights and Religious Liberty - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Two Liberty football players cite racial insensitivity in decision to transfer - ESPN - June 22nd, 2020
- Police: Man scratched an expletive on the replica of Liberty Bell at the Idaho Statehouse - KTVB.com - June 22nd, 2020
- The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained - The Dispatch - June 22nd, 2020
- Tolsma reflects on legacy, accomplishments in lengthy career at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - June 22nd, 2020
- I Suppressed So Much of My Humanity in Being Here - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Kitchen's virtual dinner brings questions of race, inclusion in New Orleans to the table - NOLA.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Leaf to Acquire Nova Mentis Biotech Corp. - Liberty Leaf Augments Portfolio with Entrance into the Emerging Psilocybin Therapy Market - Yahoo... - June 22nd, 2020
- Man charged in connection with Liberty kidnapping, robbery - KCTV Kansas City - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. (LBRT) the Stock that gain 10.25% this week! - The News Heater - June 22nd, 2020
- What Liberty Meant to the Pilgrims - National Review - June 22nd, 2020
- Time to give liberty and justice to all - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - June 22nd, 2020
- Independence opens newly constructed section of Liberty Playground - cleveland.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University Commit Jony Munoz Named 2019-20 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year - SoccerNation.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Stewart: Amid protests and reform, we truly need 'liberty and justice for all' - Standard-Examiner - June 22nd, 2020
- This day in sports: Sparks fall to Liberty in WNBA's first game in 1997 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Heres Some Upbeat Coverage of the Philadelphia Parade That Became a Super-Spreader Event During the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020
- Connecting Liberty Lake ready to help: Citys volunteers wait for calls from those in need - The Spokesman-Review - April 24th, 2020