Rod Smith noticed a trend with interior defensive lineman Brian Merritt during practices and in his brief playing time in games: The freshman always seemed to find himself around the football.
It took half the season before the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College defensive line coach decided to finally let Merritt loose by inserting him into the starting lineup for a Week 6 bout with Southwest Mississippi.
The Bulldogs handily won the Homecoming contest 55-24, but it was Merritt who won over the crowd with his dominating performance in the trenches with an eye-popping stat line: 11 tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss and 2.5 sacks. It was at that point things clicked for the 6-foot-1, 290-pound lineman.
Once he was confident to where hes like, I get it. I get it now. I couldnt hold him back, Jones said. He was making plays. Were all about production here it doesnt matter whether freshman or sophomore Im all about whos making plays, whos doing their job, and he kept showing up, kept showing up.
Merritt announced Tuesday he will transfer to Liberty following the conclusion of the 2020 season, his sophomore year at Mississippi Gulf Coast. He became the second verbal commitment in the recruiting class of 2021 when he picked the Flames over reported offers from Houston, Troy, South Alabama and UTSA, according to the recruiting websites 247 Sports and Rivals.
The interior of the defensive line is a need the Liberty coaching staff is addressing in the upcoming recruiting cycle. Ralfs Rusins and Elijah James, both projected starters for the upcoming season, are seniors. Elisha Mitchell is another senior, but he will have another season of eligibility remaining after redshirting in 2018.
William Green and Devonte Lloyd, both expected to receive ample playing time in 2020, are redshirt juniors.
Merritt should compete immediately for playing time, and his college experience will allow the defensive coaching staff to bring along the younger linemen at a much more deliberate pace.
With Brian, theyre going to get a kid thats going to come in and work hard, Smith said of what Liberty is getting. Definitely has a skill set, a unique skill set that, as a freshman when he came in, he worked hard to beat out some guys at his position.
He does some things that you as a coach, some of those things you cant coach, and thats the ability that he has with using his hands. Hes a strong kid; hes great at football knowledge, and he understands the game. Hes going to play hard and work hard.
Merritt saw playing time in all 12 games and started the final six games in MGCCCs National Junior College Athletic Association national championship season.
He posted 39 tackles (23 solo), 11 tackles for a loss, five sacks and one fumble recovery.
The Bulldogs primarily play in a 4-2-5 defensive alignment, but use multiple fronts based on down and distance, similar to the type of look Liberty defensive coordinator Scott Symons runs.
Smith said Merritt has lined up at both 3- technique defensive tackle and 4-technique nose guard in MGCCCs defensive front, and has been asked to line up inside the center and guard, align over the tackle, or line up opposite of the center in a 0-technique.
The biggest thing for Brian is what I talk about with him all the time. I know hes going to be able to stop the run and be able to get off blocks, but I tell him I want to see him progressing to where he gets more sacks and being able to make those plays on the quarterback, Smith said. Just getting that sack number up because I know he can, and thats the part Ive been challenging him on is just working him on those fine techniques of finishing that aspect of his game and improving it in the pass rush.
Merritt was a three-star prospect coming out of Colquitt County High School in Moultrie, Georgia, and held offers from programs such as Liberty, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, FAU, Georgia State, West Virginia, South Alabama, Tulane and UAB.
Merritt was named to the Georgia Sports Writers Association Class 7A all-state second team as a senior when he had 60 tackles, 36 tackles for a loss, 10 sacks and 19 quarterback hurries.
He narrowed the list down to Liberty and FAU before choosing FAU on national signing day.
However, he never enrolled at FAU because of grades, according to Smith, and that opened the door for one of the top junior college programs to recruit him.
One of the things when we were recruiting Brian, that was the most important thing that we stressed as a coaching staff, as a program is getting him out in a year and a half, and academics have been the No. 1 thing since hes stepped foot on campus, knowing thats the thing thats going to get him to where he wants to go and obviously where hes going to end up, Smith said.
Hes made huge strides. We have some things set up academically with the advisors and things like that to help if any of our student-athletes are struggling. We just made sure we stayed on top of addressing those issues when they come, if any, and pressing to find a way to get it done academically.
Liberty remained in contact with Merritt during his freshman season at MGCCC, and that relationship led him to choose the Flames over the other offers he recently received.
That was one of the things when coming here; [Liberty] stayed close to obviously his production on the field but also grades, understanding thats the key to getting him out and for him playing Division I, Smith said.
This year is going to be special for him. He knows whats at stake. I know Libertys got a good kid and a good athlete in Brian.
Damien Sordelett covers Liberty University athletics and local golf for The News & Advance. Reach him at (434) 385-5550.
Damien Sordelett covers Liberty University athletics and local golf for The News & Advance. Reach him at (434) 385-5550.
- liberty | Definition & Examples | Britannica - December 4th, 2020
- Liberty Global to Present at the UBS Global TMT Virtual Conference - Business Wire - December 4th, 2020
- UMass football out of its league in blowout loss to Liberty - The Boston Globe - December 4th, 2020
- Northeast High Principal to take over Liberty High, month after its principal was removed - The Advocate - December 4th, 2020
- Liberty Hall hosts Festival of Trees this week, but online viewing options also available - Lawrence Journal-World - December 4th, 2020
- 30 of Walter Williams's Best Quotes on Liberty, Rights, Property, and Coercion | Gary M. Galles - Foundation for Economic Education - December 4th, 2020
- Q&A with A Sixers Odyssey Author and Former Liberty Baller Dave Rueter - Liberty Ballers - December 4th, 2020
- Crisis response team called to Liberty Twp. standoff - WKBN.com - December 4th, 2020
- What's the future of Ace Hotel in East Liberty? Could be new owners - NEXTpittsburgh - November 3rd, 2020
- Liberty All-Star Growth Fund, Inc. Declares Regular Quarterly Distribution and Amount Required for Excise Tax Purposes - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Body found in Trinity River bottom near Liberty - Bluebonnet News - November 3rd, 2020
- Life, liberty and the pursuit of lacit - The Spectator US - November 3rd, 2020
- A Possible Road to the Top 25 This Weekend for Liberty - A Sea of Red - November 3rd, 2020
- Whats happening with Tauntons Liberty and Union Festival? Its moved to your screens - Taunton Daily Gazette - October 19th, 2020
- Teen sentenced to 24 months for involvement in Liberty Twp. park shootout - Hamilton Journal News - October 19th, 2020
- Trump's rallies define his view of liberty: The right not to care about other people - Yahoo News - October 19th, 2020
- Reader: Our liberty is threatened - Midland Daily News - October 19th, 2020
- Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Victimhood - Jewish Journal - October 19th, 2020
- No debate: Iowa City Liberty is the cream of the MVC volleyball crop - The Gazette - October 19th, 2020
- Liberty surges in others receiving votes of Top 25 polls - A Sea of Red - October 19th, 2020
- City Journal: Liberty, in Sickness and in Health - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - October 19th, 2020
- Liberty High principal on leave after threat to make football players stand for national anthem - The Advocate - October 19th, 2020
- Fans Are Going Wild Over Meghan McCains First Picture with Daughter Liberty Sage - Prevention.com - October 19th, 2020
- Why is Liberty missing the excitement? - Coastal Courier - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty man reunited with two men who helped save his life after heart attack - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Defensive lineman ready to make big impression at Liberty - The Cross Timbers Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: 12th annual Freedom Conference was victory for liberty - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 2nd, 2020
- HEQ: Liberty President on Growing the Reverse Mortgage Business by Expanding Distribution - Reverse Mortgage Daily - September 2nd, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reader says our liberty has been taken away - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 2nd, 2020
- Bonner leads Sun to important 70-65 win over Liberty - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Gazette area volleyball Super 10: Xavier, Liberty climb to Nos. 2 and 3 - The Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- One man dead, another arrested following shooting in Liberty Township - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- I want the people of God to enjoy liberty: Pastor at Maine super-spreader wedding gives defiant indoor sermon - The Boston Globe - September 2nd, 2020
- At Liberty, 30 students and staff have tested positive for coronavirus - Lynchburg News and Advance - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Springfield aims to be citys 1st recreational marijuana shop - MassLive.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Broadband to merge with GCI Liberty - RCR Wireless News - August 10th, 2020
- Falwell on leave from Liberty presidency - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- North Liberty police move into new $5.7 million home - The Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- New York Liberty beat the Washington Mystics 74-66 - Aug 9, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty has 3 open dates on the 2020 schedule, here are a few rescheduling options - A Sea of Red - August 10th, 2020
- Local View: Wearing a mask is an expression of liberty - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty football notes: Quarterbacks Willis, Ferguson splitting reps at first team, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 10th, 2020
- Judge Stephen Williams On Forced Public Confessions - Cato Institute - August 10th, 2020
- 16-year-old killed in off-road rollover crash near Liberty Park - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Utahns speak out against masks at 'Rally for Liberty' in Orem and during county commissioner's town hall - Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Gettysburg? The Liberty Bell? Trump Weighs R.N.C. Speech Options - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Petition Calls on U. of Lynchburg to Cut Ties with Liberty U. and Falwell, Sr. - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- On the move: Square Caf leaving Regent Square for East Liberty - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2020
- GOP lawmaker calls on Falwell Jr. to resign over photo - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- GCI Liberty, Inc. (GLIBA) Gains 40.35% in one Year: Whats Next? - The News Heater - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving. - Slate - August 8th, 2020
- What Sabrina Ionescu's injury means for her rookie season and the New York Liberty - ESPN - August 8th, 2020
- PHOTOS: The Diamond Horseshoe Converts Into Overflow Seating for Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - August 8th, 2020
- Carleton, Brown have career nights, Lynx beat Liberty 92-66 - KARE11.com - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty secures two more wide receiver commitments - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Gill, Edwards returning to Liberty University as executive vice presidents of diversity - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Bank Amphitheater cancelling events for rest of year - Alton Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Latin America Reports Q2 and H1 2020 Results - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- Still searching for their first W in 2020, Liberty take on the Lynx - NetsDaily - August 7th, 2020
- Recent conference decisions impacting Liberty's 2020 football schedule - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu exits with ankle injury as Liberty await word on severity - ESPN - August 7th, 2020
- The Buzz: Is it open or closed? Five answers - Post-Crescent - August 5th, 2020
- Serving the underserved: East Liberty Family Health Care Center - WTAE Pittsburgh - August 5th, 2020
- Liberty Global and Virgin Media Bring Gigabit Speeds to Glasgow, Leeds and Bradford - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Montana Viewpoint: Defending government property at the expense of liberty - Missoula Current - August 5th, 2020
- LEGOs Statue of Liberty hits $100 + deals on Technic, Avengers, more from $12 - 9to5Toys - August 5th, 2020
- The Collabs: Timberland Teams Up with Liberty London for Floral Collection + More - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 5th, 2020
- Marshall County Legislative Delegation makes donation to the Liberty Learning Foundation - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 5th, 2020
- Pastor accused of sexually abusing minor while assigned to Liberty parish - KCTV Kansas City - August 5th, 2020
- Short-lived jail break in Liberty ends with arrests of three inmates - Bluebonnet News - August 5th, 2020
- Black Athletes Are Abandoning Liberty University Because of the School's Racism - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utility nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 3rd, 2020
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Wildfires threaten summer cottages at Liberty Lake - The Spokesman-Review - August 3rd, 2020
- It's all relative with the Statue of Liberty - The Spectator USA - August 3rd, 2020
- Lions Club's and Liberty United Methodist Church holds food giveaway in Macon - 13WMAZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty University receives preliminary guidance from Bedford County to pursue New London Airport expansion - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 3rd, 2020
- The Exact Trigger that Indicates Volatility in Liberty Broadband Corp - CMLViz.com - CML News - August 3rd, 2020
- How Sixers need to utilize Ben Simmons at the elbows - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Sixers look to bounce back tonight against the Spurs - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Dramatic lightning bolt lights up Statue of Liberty - KSL.com - August 3rd, 2020