The $65 million Liberty Arena, being built in between the Vines Center and DeMoss Hall, is targeted for an Oct. 1 completion date, in time to host the entirety of the 2020-21 home schedules for Liberty University volleyball and mens and womens basketball.
The 125,000-square-foot facility will seat 4,000 spectators and serve as the primary facility for all three sports.
The Vines Center, the home for those programs for the past 30 seasons, will continue to be used for concerts and events, including convocation, which generally takes place three times a week for all students.
Its on schedule to be ready for the fall. We expect to play the volleyball season in the arena and look forward to hosting the opening basketball games during the second week of November, Flames athletic director Ian McCaw said in a phone interview late last week. Its going to be a spectacular facility, very intimate feel, and I think that will create a terrific homecourt advantage for our teams and an exciting atmosphere for our fans.
McCaw, speaking to reporters in early April, said he wasnt 100% certain construction would be completed for Liberty Arena in time for the start of the volleyball season. He added contingency plans were being developed in case the volleyball team needed to find other venues to host games.
However, volleyball coach Trevor Johnson loaded the nonconference schedule with road games to open the season, giving the construction team added time to complete the project prior to an early October home opener.
They bought us a little bit more time, McCaw said. Were looking forward to the facility being done right around Oct. 1, and I believe their first match at home is Oct. 6.
McCaw in April said contracts are being finalized for the mens and womens basketball teams to open their seasons at Liberty Arena on Nov. 10 and 12, respectively.
Construction hasnt been affected by the coronavirus pandemic, with crews working daily onsite to complete the project, in addition to the new parking garage across U.S. 460 on East Campus. McCaw said plans were for the parking garage to be completed by August.
Construction was halted temporarily at an undisclosed site from April 25 to 29. Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr., on The Todd Starnes Show in late April, said three construction crew members tested positive for COVID-19.
The construction team has just really made good progress. Theyre feeling really good about the timeline right now, McCaw said. They feel like theyve made really good progress.
Liberty Arena will become the permanent operations center for the volleyball program, with expanded locker rooms and office space.
The mens and womens basketball programs will continue to use the locker rooms, practice facilities and offices that were part of a $20 million, 47,000-square-foot expansion of the Vines Center completed in 2013.
Shortly after I arrived at Liberty [in late 2016], I know we had some discussion about what was best for mens basketball. President Falwell had a vision to build a smaller arena, McCaw said. In the Vines Center right now, we have so much usage of the facility; were constantly setting up and tearing down. By building a new arena thats dedicated for basketball programs and volleyball, we will avoid that issue. We think having a 4,000-seat facility will be intimate and create great energy and atmosphere. Were looking forward to moving in next November.
Liberty Arena is one of three athletic construction projects on campus.
The tower on the west side of Williams Stadium is undergoing improvements that will be ready for the 2020 home opener scheduled for Sept. 12 against North Carolina A&T.
New exterior glass is being added on the fourth and fifth floors, which will give spectators seated on those floors the ability to open or close the windows.
New luxury indoor seats are being added on the third floor McCaw said those have sold out for the 2020 season and other improvements are being made to the club area.
The indoor tennis facility is scheduled to be completed in January 2021, which will allow the Flames to host indoor meets on campus instead of at Crosswhite Athletic Club. The new facility will have six indoor courts, locker rooms and meeting space for teams. Liberty is scheduled to host the ASUN Conference mens and womens tennis championships in the spring of 2021.
Were obviously very grateful for President Falwells leadership and support to be able to move forward with these projects, because theyll all make a huge impact on our program, McCaw said. Again, I think in all three instances, the projects are on schedule.
Damien Sordelett covers Liberty University athletics and local golf for The News & Advance. Reach him at (434) 385-5550.
Damien Sordelett covers Liberty University athletics and local golf for The News & Advance. Reach him at (434) 385-5550.
Go here to read the rest:
- The Liberty Biberdy Guy from Liberty Mutual Commercials, Tanner Novlan, Is Joining CBS Soap Bold and the Beautiful - Showbiz411 - July 11th, 2020
- Cornerback Williams verbally commits to Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - July 11th, 2020
- Letter: Mask ordinance is attempt to take away liberty and freedom - Sumter Item - July 11th, 2020
- 'Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' San Diego Downtown News - San Diego Downtown News - July 11th, 2020
- Lebanon-Hanover natural gas project no longer in the pipeline - Valley News - July 11th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: I don't believe we have liberty and justice for all - Summit Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Tennis looking to return to the courts in Philadelphia - Outsports - July 11th, 2020
- No leads on man who vanished from Belmont Ave. in Liberty without a trace - WKBN.com - July 11th, 2020
- National View: A holiday for the dream of liberty and justice for all - MetroWest Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Hall to host virtual concert to celebrate 90th anniversary - Tyler Morning Telegraph - July 11th, 2020
- The Penultimate Day of Overtime July: Religious Liberty Wednesday - Reason - July 11th, 2020
- Liberty Shere named Northeast Tech Claremore Campus Director - Claremore Daily Progress - July 11th, 2020
- PHOTOS: Socially-Distanced Dining at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the Newly-Reopened Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - July 11th, 2020
- Police say Liberty business owner stabbed theft suspect, who still managed to get away - WKBN.com - July 11th, 2020
- More new cases of COVID-19 reported in Liberty County - Bluebonnet News - July 11th, 2020
- Online learning hiccups lead to civil liberty threats | TheHill - The Hill - July 11th, 2020
- Ranking the top 50 Liberty football players of all time: 50-41 - A Sea of Red - June 22nd, 2020
- We Can Find Common Ground on Gay Rights and Religious Liberty - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Two Liberty football players cite racial insensitivity in decision to transfer - ESPN - June 22nd, 2020
- Police: Man scratched an expletive on the replica of Liberty Bell at the Idaho Statehouse - KTVB.com - June 22nd, 2020
- The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained - The Dispatch - June 22nd, 2020
- Tolsma reflects on legacy, accomplishments in lengthy career at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - June 22nd, 2020
- I Suppressed So Much of My Humanity in Being Here - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Kitchen's virtual dinner brings questions of race, inclusion in New Orleans to the table - NOLA.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Leaf to Acquire Nova Mentis Biotech Corp. - Liberty Leaf Augments Portfolio with Entrance into the Emerging Psilocybin Therapy Market - Yahoo... - June 22nd, 2020
- Man charged in connection with Liberty kidnapping, robbery - KCTV Kansas City - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. (LBRT) the Stock that gain 10.25% this week! - The News Heater - June 22nd, 2020
- What Liberty Meant to the Pilgrims - National Review - June 22nd, 2020
- Time to give liberty and justice to all - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - June 22nd, 2020
- Independence opens newly constructed section of Liberty Playground - cleveland.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University Commit Jony Munoz Named 2019-20 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year - SoccerNation.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Stewart: Amid protests and reform, we truly need 'liberty and justice for all' - Standard-Examiner - June 22nd, 2020
- This day in sports: Sparks fall to Liberty in WNBA's first game in 1997 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Heres Some Upbeat Coverage of the Philadelphia Parade That Became a Super-Spreader Event During the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020
- Connecting Liberty Lake ready to help: Citys volunteers wait for calls from those in need - The Spokesman-Review - April 24th, 2020