Judges of Galveston, Brazoria and Montgomery counties said although Harris County is requiring face coverings in public, they will not issue such a mandate.
HOUSTON While Harris County is set to implement a 30-day order requiring face coverings in public starting Monday, other county judges are making it clear they will not mandate residents cover their faces.
The Harris County order requires residents ages 10 and older to cover their nose and mouth when in public. It is set to begin Monday, April 27 and will last for 30 days. Residents who dont follow the order could face a $1,000 fine.
Galveston County Judge Mark Henry tweeted while covering ones face in public is recommended by national and local authorities, he will not mandate face coverings, as he believes it is unconstitutional to do so.
Just as critical as getting our economy back up and running, it is important that elected officials uphold their oaths to defend the Constitution and ensure individual freedoms remain intact during and after this pandemic, he said in a statement.
Montgomery County Judge Mark Keough also said he will not mandate face coverings in public.
I do not find a statutory or legal basis that would allow me or anyone else in government to issue an order requiring citizens to wear a mask In public, especially under the fear of making it a criminal offense if they dont, he said in a video statement.
I will not be issuing an order mandating the wearing of mask In public places. This is my statement on the issue.
Judge Keough encouraged residents to respect each other whether they choose to wear a mask and continue practicing social distancing.
Brazoria County Judge Matt Sebesta also said he will not mandate residents to wear masks in public unless the county health authority strongly recommends it. However, Judge Sebesta highly encourages everyone to wear a mask when out in public.
Fort Bend County Judge KP George said he is not issuing a mandate but still "strong recommends" residents wear masks in public.
Officials in Chambers, Waller and Liberty counties also said they have no such required face covering orders in place.
The symptoms of coronavirus can be similar to the flu or a bad cold. Symptoms include a fever, cough and shortness of breath, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Some patients also have nausea, body aches, headaches and stomach issues. Losing your sense of taste and/or smell can also be an early warning sign.
Most healthy people will have mild symptoms. A study of more than 72,000 patients by the Centers for Disease Control in China showed 80 percent of the cases there were mild.
But infections can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death, according to the World Health Organization. Older people with underlying health conditions are most at risk for becoming seriously ill. However, U.S. experts are seeing a significant number of younger people being hospitalized, including some in ICU.
The CDC believes symptoms may appear anywhere from two to 14 days after being exposed.
Human coronaviruses are usually spread through...
Help stop the spread of coronavirus
Lower your risk
Get complete coverage of the coronavirus by texting 'FACTS' to 713-526-1111.
- Ranking the top 50 Liberty football players of all time: 50-41 - A Sea of Red - June 22nd, 2020
- We Can Find Common Ground on Gay Rights and Religious Liberty - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Two Liberty football players cite racial insensitivity in decision to transfer - ESPN - June 22nd, 2020
- Police: Man scratched an expletive on the replica of Liberty Bell at the Idaho Statehouse - KTVB.com - June 22nd, 2020
- The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained - The Dispatch - June 22nd, 2020
- Tolsma reflects on legacy, accomplishments in lengthy career at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - June 22nd, 2020
- I Suppressed So Much of My Humanity in Being Here - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Kitchen's virtual dinner brings questions of race, inclusion in New Orleans to the table - NOLA.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Leaf to Acquire Nova Mentis Biotech Corp. - Liberty Leaf Augments Portfolio with Entrance into the Emerging Psilocybin Therapy Market - Yahoo... - June 22nd, 2020
- Man charged in connection with Liberty kidnapping, robbery - KCTV Kansas City - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. (LBRT) the Stock that gain 10.25% this week! - The News Heater - June 22nd, 2020
- What Liberty Meant to the Pilgrims - National Review - June 22nd, 2020
- Time to give liberty and justice to all - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - June 22nd, 2020
- Independence opens newly constructed section of Liberty Playground - cleveland.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University Commit Jony Munoz Named 2019-20 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year - SoccerNation.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Stewart: Amid protests and reform, we truly need 'liberty and justice for all' - Standard-Examiner - June 22nd, 2020
- This day in sports: Sparks fall to Liberty in WNBA's first game in 1997 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Heres Some Upbeat Coverage of the Philadelphia Parade That Became a Super-Spreader Event During the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020
- Connecting Liberty Lake ready to help: Citys volunteers wait for calls from those in need - The Spokesman-Review - April 24th, 2020
- Rallying for the 'freedom and liberty to work' - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 24th, 2020
- Is One Liberty Properties, Inc.'s (NYSE:OLP) ROE Of 6.4% Impressive? - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Liberty end up with 4 of top 12 picks after draft-night deals - ESPN - April 24th, 2020
- Yes, government can restrict your liberty to protect public health - Los Angeles Times - April 24th, 2020
- Carnival Liberty | Deck Plans, Activities & Sailings ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty AV Solutions - Your Best Source for Pro AV ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty University to offer $1,000 credit to students who leave dorms by Saturday because of coronavirus - Richmond.com - March 31st, 2020
- Falwell says concerns about students returning to Liberty University are overblown - CNN - March 31st, 2020
- Two COVID-19 cases confirmed aboard Liberty of the Seas - Galveston County Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- KHS grad Robinson had found a spot on NCAA Tournament-bound Liberty - Kearney Hub - March 31st, 2020
- Fire Oak Distillery in Liberty Hill has produced nearly 600 gallons of sanitizer for Williamson County first responders, community - Community Impact... - March 31st, 2020
- History's Headlines: The Liberty Bell stopped here - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty urged to help smaller F1 teams survive shutdown - RACER - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty - IMDb - March 26th, 2020
- Jerry Falwell, Liberty Universitys choice to stay open during coronavirus, explained - Vox.com - March 26th, 2020
- Thousands of Liberty students expected to return to campus amid coronavirus outbreak - Richmond.com - March 26th, 2020