Antonio Gandy-Golden spent most nights in the summer of 2016 running routes under the neon glow of the video board at Williams Stadium in preparation for his collegiate career at Liberty.
There were no screaming fans or bright lights, no fanfare. He worked at his craft with the sole purpose of developing into a wide receiver who would shatter program records.
The 6-foot-4, 223-pound receiver is back on campus and again running routes at Williams Stadium or any outdoor field at Liberty that is open. His work on the turf has shifted to the mornings, and he is focused on standing out among a crowded wide receiver pool in this weeks NFL Draft.
Gandy-Goldens name is frequently mentioned as one of 21 wide receivers who could be drafted in the seven-round event, which begins Thursday and ends Saturday.
ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said last week in a conference call Gandy-Golden is one of five receivers he predicts to be taken in the third through fifth rounds.
NFL Networks Daniel Jeremiah has Gandy-Golden at No. 79 in his top 150 prospects for this weeks NFL Draft and has Gandy-Golden ranked as the 15th best wide receiver of the 23 listed in the Top 150.
I feel like everyones dream is to get drafted as high as possible, but ultimately the dream will be fulfilled as long as I have my name called, period, Gandy-Golden said Monday in a phone interview promoting the "Road to Rated Rookie" docuseries by Panini America. Im not really worried about necessarily what day it is as much as I am just being able to get my name called and actually be able to make it to a team.
Gandy-Golden could become the highest Liberty player selected in the NFL Draft since defensive back Walt Aikens was taken in the fourth round by the Miami Dolphins in 2014.
Tight end Eric Green was a first-round selection of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1990.
Antonio is such a great representative of Liberty. Obviously he had a great career, and just a wonderful young man, Liberty athletic director Ian McCaw said. Its exciting. He is projected right now to be the highest drafted Liberty football player since 1990. That says quite a lot. A number of the projections Ive seen have him listed in the top 100 selections. Were hopeful that he may go in the second or third or possibly early fourth round.
Hes a great credit to our football program. Coach [Hugh] Freeze and [wide receivers coach] Maurice Harris did a wonderful job working with him and developing him further this year. Were eager to see where he lands.
The record-setting receiver met with all 32 teams during the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine. He said he has spoken with the teams over the phone or through video conferences since the coronavirus pandemic forced NFL teams to cancel in-person visits in the draft process.
Those in-person meetings were valuable for Gandy-Golden, who had an opportunity to showcase his talents against other top-notch athletes.
I think it was real important just to let them see my personality, just ask me any questions in person that they wanted to just get a good feel for me and that aspect of it, he said. Then, of course, the performance part of it, I feel like I did well at those. Im glad they got to be able to see that in person.
Gandy-Golden ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash and posted a 36-inch vertical leap at the combine. He turned heads when he completed 22 reps on the bench press the second-most for a wide receiver behind 23 from Wisconsins Quintez Cephus.
The strength numbers Gandy-Golden displayed at the combine backed up his gaudy highlight-reel catch-and-runs at Liberty. Scouts saw the film of him dragging defenders in games this season against Syracuse, Buffalo, Hampton, New Mexico and UMass to know he had the strength and physicality to make difficult catches at the next level.
What I liked about Antonio Gandy-Golden [during the season], not only is the fact hes got the physicality with the size to be a real factor, but I like the way he gets down the field, Kiper said. When hes down the field, hes not going to be running past people, hes not the kind of guy whos going to be a vertical stretch option, but in college he was able to do that. I was very impressed by that aspect of his game.
He could get down the field; he was able to make plays. When he looked like he was in contested situations and it wasnt going to go his way, he would come through with a reception. Even when hes covered, hell know when to break it up and not allow the defensive back to get the interception.
Gandy-Goldens preparation for the NFL Draft began in Boca Raton, Florida, at XPE Sports.
Tony Villani served as his trainer and speed coach, and former NFL standouts Cris Carter and Anquan Boldin were his receiver coaches.
Carter and Boldin were both bigger outside receivers in the NFL and taught Gandy-Golden new tricks for the next level.
At LU, Gandy-Golden overpowered smaller defensive backs with his size and used his wide catch radius and strong hands to win battles against defensive backs at Power 5 schools like Rutgers and Virginia.
He said the main aspect he worked on with Carter and Boldin, the one thats really the main part, was getting out of his breaks as a bigger receiver.
I had a lot of the other physical traits with just being able to carry my weight in that way, he said, and getting out of my breaks is very important for a bigger receiver like me.
James Jones, an NFL Network analyst and former wide receiver, said Gandy-Golden has the best hands of any receiver eligible for the draft, and Jones consistently has rated Gandy-Golden as one of his top five receivers.
You could say he didnt run that great; well, he ran good enough for a kid thats 6-4, 223 pounds, Kiper said. ... Hes got a very good stiff-arm after the catch. Hes been a guy that can break tackles after the catch. He can run across the middle. Hes got good football IQ.
His production has been off the charts. I think if you get into the fourth or fifth round, I would take a good, hard look at him.
Gandy-Golden finished his illustrious career at Liberty with 240 catches for 3,814 yards and 33 touchdowns all program records.
He posted 150 catches, 2,433 yards and 20 touchdowns during the Flames two seasons at the Football Bowl Subdivision level.
I want to be remembered in a good way, Gandy-Golden said of his playing days at LU. I want them to know I was the best receiver to play here, one of the best players to play here overall, and I feel like they can look back and reminisce in a good way to when I was here.
Gandy-Goldens mother and younger twin brothers are driving from Dallas, Georgia, to Lynchburg on Wednesday and will spend the entire draft with him at his off-campus apartment.
He said his plan is to stay in and be with his family during the event, and he may have select close friends visit throughout the three days.
The only really big difference for me is just that I wont be able to have a bigger group of people, which is honestly fine, he said.
Damien Sordelett covers Liberty University athletics for The News & Advance. Reach him at (434) 385-5550.
Damien Sordelett covers Liberty University athletics and local golf for The News & Advance. Reach him at (434) 385-5550.
See the rest here:
- liberty | Definition & Examples | Britannica - December 4th, 2020
- Liberty Global to Present at the UBS Global TMT Virtual Conference - Business Wire - December 4th, 2020
- UMass football out of its league in blowout loss to Liberty - The Boston Globe - December 4th, 2020
- Northeast High Principal to take over Liberty High, month after its principal was removed - The Advocate - December 4th, 2020
- Liberty Hall hosts Festival of Trees this week, but online viewing options also available - Lawrence Journal-World - December 4th, 2020
- 30 of Walter Williams's Best Quotes on Liberty, Rights, Property, and Coercion | Gary M. Galles - Foundation for Economic Education - December 4th, 2020
- Q&A with A Sixers Odyssey Author and Former Liberty Baller Dave Rueter - Liberty Ballers - December 4th, 2020
- Crisis response team called to Liberty Twp. standoff - WKBN.com - December 4th, 2020
- What's the future of Ace Hotel in East Liberty? Could be new owners - NEXTpittsburgh - November 3rd, 2020
- Liberty All-Star Growth Fund, Inc. Declares Regular Quarterly Distribution and Amount Required for Excise Tax Purposes - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Body found in Trinity River bottom near Liberty - Bluebonnet News - November 3rd, 2020
- Life, liberty and the pursuit of lacit - The Spectator US - November 3rd, 2020
- A Possible Road to the Top 25 This Weekend for Liberty - A Sea of Red - November 3rd, 2020
- Whats happening with Tauntons Liberty and Union Festival? Its moved to your screens - Taunton Daily Gazette - October 19th, 2020
- Teen sentenced to 24 months for involvement in Liberty Twp. park shootout - Hamilton Journal News - October 19th, 2020
- Trump's rallies define his view of liberty: The right not to care about other people - Yahoo News - October 19th, 2020
- Reader: Our liberty is threatened - Midland Daily News - October 19th, 2020
- Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Victimhood - Jewish Journal - October 19th, 2020
- No debate: Iowa City Liberty is the cream of the MVC volleyball crop - The Gazette - October 19th, 2020
- Liberty surges in others receiving votes of Top 25 polls - A Sea of Red - October 19th, 2020
- City Journal: Liberty, in Sickness and in Health - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - October 19th, 2020
- Liberty High principal on leave after threat to make football players stand for national anthem - The Advocate - October 19th, 2020
- Fans Are Going Wild Over Meghan McCains First Picture with Daughter Liberty Sage - Prevention.com - October 19th, 2020
- Why is Liberty missing the excitement? - Coastal Courier - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty man reunited with two men who helped save his life after heart attack - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Defensive lineman ready to make big impression at Liberty - The Cross Timbers Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: 12th annual Freedom Conference was victory for liberty - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 2nd, 2020
- HEQ: Liberty President on Growing the Reverse Mortgage Business by Expanding Distribution - Reverse Mortgage Daily - September 2nd, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reader says our liberty has been taken away - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 2nd, 2020
- Bonner leads Sun to important 70-65 win over Liberty - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Gazette area volleyball Super 10: Xavier, Liberty climb to Nos. 2 and 3 - The Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- One man dead, another arrested following shooting in Liberty Township - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- I want the people of God to enjoy liberty: Pastor at Maine super-spreader wedding gives defiant indoor sermon - The Boston Globe - September 2nd, 2020
- At Liberty, 30 students and staff have tested positive for coronavirus - Lynchburg News and Advance - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Springfield aims to be citys 1st recreational marijuana shop - MassLive.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Broadband to merge with GCI Liberty - RCR Wireless News - August 10th, 2020
- Falwell on leave from Liberty presidency - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- North Liberty police move into new $5.7 million home - The Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- New York Liberty beat the Washington Mystics 74-66 - Aug 9, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty has 3 open dates on the 2020 schedule, here are a few rescheduling options - A Sea of Red - August 10th, 2020
- Local View: Wearing a mask is an expression of liberty - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty football notes: Quarterbacks Willis, Ferguson splitting reps at first team, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 10th, 2020
- Judge Stephen Williams On Forced Public Confessions - Cato Institute - August 10th, 2020
- 16-year-old killed in off-road rollover crash near Liberty Park - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Utahns speak out against masks at 'Rally for Liberty' in Orem and during county commissioner's town hall - Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Gettysburg? The Liberty Bell? Trump Weighs R.N.C. Speech Options - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Petition Calls on U. of Lynchburg to Cut Ties with Liberty U. and Falwell, Sr. - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- On the move: Square Caf leaving Regent Square for East Liberty - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2020
- GOP lawmaker calls on Falwell Jr. to resign over photo - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- GCI Liberty, Inc. (GLIBA) Gains 40.35% in one Year: Whats Next? - The News Heater - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving. - Slate - August 8th, 2020
- What Sabrina Ionescu's injury means for her rookie season and the New York Liberty - ESPN - August 8th, 2020
- PHOTOS: The Diamond Horseshoe Converts Into Overflow Seating for Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - August 8th, 2020
- Carleton, Brown have career nights, Lynx beat Liberty 92-66 - KARE11.com - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty secures two more wide receiver commitments - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Gill, Edwards returning to Liberty University as executive vice presidents of diversity - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Bank Amphitheater cancelling events for rest of year - Alton Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Latin America Reports Q2 and H1 2020 Results - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- Still searching for their first W in 2020, Liberty take on the Lynx - NetsDaily - August 7th, 2020
- Recent conference decisions impacting Liberty's 2020 football schedule - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu exits with ankle injury as Liberty await word on severity - ESPN - August 7th, 2020
- The Buzz: Is it open or closed? Five answers - Post-Crescent - August 5th, 2020
- Serving the underserved: East Liberty Family Health Care Center - WTAE Pittsburgh - August 5th, 2020
- Liberty Global and Virgin Media Bring Gigabit Speeds to Glasgow, Leeds and Bradford - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Montana Viewpoint: Defending government property at the expense of liberty - Missoula Current - August 5th, 2020
- LEGOs Statue of Liberty hits $100 + deals on Technic, Avengers, more from $12 - 9to5Toys - August 5th, 2020
- The Collabs: Timberland Teams Up with Liberty London for Floral Collection + More - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 5th, 2020
- Marshall County Legislative Delegation makes donation to the Liberty Learning Foundation - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 5th, 2020
- Pastor accused of sexually abusing minor while assigned to Liberty parish - KCTV Kansas City - August 5th, 2020
- Short-lived jail break in Liberty ends with arrests of three inmates - Bluebonnet News - August 5th, 2020
- Black Athletes Are Abandoning Liberty University Because of the School's Racism - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utility nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 3rd, 2020
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Wildfires threaten summer cottages at Liberty Lake - The Spokesman-Review - August 3rd, 2020
- It's all relative with the Statue of Liberty - The Spectator USA - August 3rd, 2020
- Lions Club's and Liberty United Methodist Church holds food giveaway in Macon - 13WMAZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty University receives preliminary guidance from Bedford County to pursue New London Airport expansion - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 3rd, 2020
- The Exact Trigger that Indicates Volatility in Liberty Broadband Corp - CMLViz.com - CML News - August 3rd, 2020
- How Sixers need to utilize Ben Simmons at the elbows - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Sixers look to bounce back tonight against the Spurs - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Dramatic lightning bolt lights up Statue of Liberty - KSL.com - August 3rd, 2020