INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- The city has completed Phase II of the Liberty Playground improvement project, which features new play structures and ADA-accessible equipment for children ages 2 to 5.
The first section of Liberty Playground improvements was completed nearly two years ago, with new equipment for children ages 5 to 12, including dual ziplines, spinners and slides. This newest section is aimed toward younger children and includes equipment accessible to those who may have disabilities.
Recreation Director Tom Walchanowicz said the mayor, finance director, City Council members and department heads attended the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the playground on Tuesday (June 16), as did some of the families who were involved in the initial planning for the playground.
Walchanowicz said the previous equipment was 20 years old and was in need of replacement. The new equipment includes slides, climbing walls and a merry-go-round, which is one of the new accessible pieces of equipment.
Walchanowicz explained that a child using a wheelchair can easily access the merry-go-round, as well as the new sand tables, which are located next to the sandbox and are at sitting level. The tables double as both sand and water tables. Children are invited to bring their own toys to play with in the water or sand.
The sand tables allow children in wheelchairs to play with sand and water at their own level. (Photo Courtesy of Eric Sarley)
There are other interactive features, including music panels, where children can push buttons and hear sounds like a piano and drums. All of the equipment is covered by shade structures.
The play equipment was manufactured by Burke and supplied by Snider Recreation Inc., which was the supplier for the previous playground phase. Associates from Snider supervised the installation, which Walchanowicz said was performed by city staff.
In addition to the play equipment, a poured-in-place rubber surface was installed underneath the equipment, which Walchanowicz said makes it user-friendly for children who may be using wheelchairs. Stamped concrete was put down surrounding the playground area, and drainage improvements also were made.
The total cost of the project was just under $130,000. The Recreation Department received a Nature Works Grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources in the amount of $35,000.
Walchanowicz said the playground was planned in the summer and fall of 2019, and the old equipment was removed in November.
When weather permitted during the winter months, drainage improvements were made. The wet spring and COVID-19 outbreak both slowed the building process, according to Walchanowicz, because the city had fewer staff members who could work at one time and the playground company shut down for a period during the statewide lockdown.
Even with the obstacles, we finished close to what we had planned, Walchanowicz said.
The current guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) during this pandemic have altered the rules of play just a little. Walchanowicz said there are hand-sanitizer dispensers onsite, and signs are posted in the area stating that if people feel sick, they should stay home.
Additionally, people are encouraged to distance themselves from others on the playground who are not from their own household. Every evening, a city custodian will use an electrostatic sprayer or another sanitizing sprayer to sanitize the high-touch areas of the playground.
Its an upgrade from our old playground and a good addition to our current facilities. Theres more for kids to do, said Walchanowicz.
He said the department is looking into possibly adding security cameras to the gazebo in the middle of the playground site for added security, as well as a speaker system to play childrens music during the day.
Read more from the Parma Sun Post.
Read more here:
- Liberty Broadband to merge with GCI Liberty - RCR Wireless News - August 10th, 2020
- Falwell on leave from Liberty presidency - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- North Liberty police move into new $5.7 million home - The Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- New York Liberty beat the Washington Mystics 74-66 - Aug 9, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty has 3 open dates on the 2020 schedule, here are a few rescheduling options - A Sea of Red - August 10th, 2020
- Local View: Wearing a mask is an expression of liberty - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty football notes: Quarterbacks Willis, Ferguson splitting reps at first team, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 10th, 2020
- Judge Stephen Williams On Forced Public Confessions - Cato Institute - August 10th, 2020
- 16-year-old killed in off-road rollover crash near Liberty Park - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Utahns speak out against masks at 'Rally for Liberty' in Orem and during county commissioner's town hall - Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Gettysburg? The Liberty Bell? Trump Weighs R.N.C. Speech Options - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Petition Calls on U. of Lynchburg to Cut Ties with Liberty U. and Falwell, Sr. - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- On the move: Square Caf leaving Regent Square for East Liberty - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2020
- GOP lawmaker calls on Falwell Jr. to resign over photo - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- GCI Liberty, Inc. (GLIBA) Gains 40.35% in one Year: Whats Next? - The News Heater - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving. - Slate - August 8th, 2020
- What Sabrina Ionescu's injury means for her rookie season and the New York Liberty - ESPN - August 8th, 2020
- PHOTOS: The Diamond Horseshoe Converts Into Overflow Seating for Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - August 8th, 2020
- Carleton, Brown have career nights, Lynx beat Liberty 92-66 - KARE11.com - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty secures two more wide receiver commitments - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Gill, Edwards returning to Liberty University as executive vice presidents of diversity - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Bank Amphitheater cancelling events for rest of year - Alton Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Latin America Reports Q2 and H1 2020 Results - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- Still searching for their first W in 2020, Liberty take on the Lynx - NetsDaily - August 7th, 2020
- Recent conference decisions impacting Liberty's 2020 football schedule - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu exits with ankle injury as Liberty await word on severity - ESPN - August 7th, 2020
- Tuesday briefing: Britons flee Brexit by the thousands - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020
- The Buzz: Is it open or closed? Five answers - Post-Crescent - August 5th, 2020
- Serving the underserved: East Liberty Family Health Care Center - WTAE Pittsburgh - August 5th, 2020
- Liberty Global and Virgin Media Bring Gigabit Speeds to Glasgow, Leeds and Bradford - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Montana Viewpoint: Defending government property at the expense of liberty - Missoula Current - August 5th, 2020
- LEGOs Statue of Liberty hits $100 + deals on Technic, Avengers, more from $12 - 9to5Toys - August 5th, 2020
- The Collabs: Timberland Teams Up with Liberty London for Floral Collection + More - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 5th, 2020
- Marshall County Legislative Delegation makes donation to the Liberty Learning Foundation - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 5th, 2020
- Pastor accused of sexually abusing minor while assigned to Liberty parish - KCTV Kansas City - August 5th, 2020
- Short-lived jail break in Liberty ends with arrests of three inmates - Bluebonnet News - August 5th, 2020
- Black Athletes Are Abandoning Liberty University Because of the School's Racism - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utility nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 3rd, 2020
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Wildfires threaten summer cottages at Liberty Lake - The Spokesman-Review - August 3rd, 2020
- It's all relative with the Statue of Liberty - The Spectator USA - August 3rd, 2020
- Lions Club's and Liberty United Methodist Church holds food giveaway in Macon - 13WMAZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty University receives preliminary guidance from Bedford County to pursue New London Airport expansion - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 3rd, 2020
- The Exact Trigger that Indicates Volatility in Liberty Broadband Corp - CMLViz.com - CML News - August 3rd, 2020
- How Sixers need to utilize Ben Simmons at the elbows - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Sixers look to bounce back tonight against the Spurs - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Dramatic lightning bolt lights up Statue of Liberty - KSL.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utilities nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 2nd, 2020
- OPINION: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - Standard-Times - August 2nd, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Universal health care is essential to liberty - Press Herald - August 2nd, 2020
- UPDATE: Package Recovered - Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Has Liberty Oilfield Services Inc.'s (NYSE:LBRT) Impressive Stock Performance Got Anything to Do With Its Fundamentals? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- North Liberty urges residents to wear face masks, calls on businesses to adopt mask policies - The Gazette - July 29th, 2020
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Liberty Broadband Corporation (NASDAQ:LBRD.K)? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Serene Two-Bed Condo with Sunny Terrace is Entertainer's Dream, Liberty Terrace, DTJC - Jersey Digs - July 29th, 2020
- Liberty University won't require COVID-19 test for returning students this fall - Lynchburg News and Advance - July 29th, 2020
- W.N.B.A. Preview: With Sabrina Ionescu, the Liberty Hit Refresh - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- Reflecting on Liberty Global's (NASDAQ:LBTY.A) Share Price Returns Over The Last Five Years - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Financial Insights and Technical Data on The Liberty Braves Group (BATRA) - Invest Million - July 29th, 2020
- Mostly Outdoor Restaurant and Bar Arrives in Liberty Station - Eater San Diego - July 29th, 2020
- Game 2: Liberty look for their first win of the new season against Dallas - NetsDaily - July 29th, 2020
- The Presley and other restaurants opening at Liberty Station - New restaurants like The Presley and others are opening throughout Liberty Station.... - July 29th, 2020
- Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - July 28th, 2020
- Why Will Spark The Next Run With The Liberty Braves Group (BATRK) Shares? - Invest Million - July 28th, 2020
- Liberty Twp. gets grant to extend walking and biking path - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 28th, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Statue of Liberty repeatedly struck by lightning - KSL.com - July 28th, 2020
- NASA: Asteroid Bigger Than Statue Of Liberty To Fly Safely Past Earth - International Business Times - July 28th, 2020
- Rumor: GTA 6 Set in Vice City, GTA Online Heading to Remastered Liberty City Later This Year - ComicBook.com - July 28th, 2020
- Improvements coming to 18 Liberty Twp. roads this year - WKBN.com - July 28th, 2020
- Liberty back on the court preparing for a 2020-21 season - A Sea of Red - July 28th, 2020
- Statutes of Liberty: There's No Public Defender -- Where to Go If You Can't Afford an Immigration Lawyer - ARLnow - July 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus in N.Y.C.: Will the Tourists Ever Come Back? - The New York Times - July 26th, 2020
- Movement designed to bring pressure on Liberty Hill City government - Liberty Hill Independent - July 26th, 2020
- Liberty rookie Jocelyn Willoughby looking to make impact on and off court - New York Post - July 26th, 2020
- Falwell on Liberty's 2020 football season: Our schedule's going to be totally different than what we've published - A Sea of Red - July 26th, 2020
- Liberty Fire responds to camper that caught fire on Rt. 11 - WKBN.com - July 26th, 2020
- Christopher Bray: Of liberty and masks - a trade-off that will help save lives, maybe your own - Brattleboro Reformer - July 25th, 2020
- Liberty Hill Foundation: UCLA Luskin researchers find emPOWER outreach campaign led by community-based organizations successful in reaching areas of... - July 25th, 2020
- New mural brightens Benkard and Liberty in Newburgh - Times Herald-Record - July 25th, 2020
- Trump's stormtroopers crush liberty on the streets of Portland - Salon - July 25th, 2020
- Police: Woman hurt as shots were fired between 2 groups near Liberty Heights Park in West Allis - WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee - July 25th, 2020